• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

How about a retro collection thread? Post pics and vids of your gamerooms/collections.
I have no collection but want one. I always enjoy looking at what others have to show off.

RM8

My retro collection is a mess. Might have to fix that and post some pics :p It's nothing too impressive, my taste became better and more varied as I became older...

Yes Boss!

Mine is likewise a mess. Stuff in two different states.

I only started re-collecting a few years back and for the most part don't collect, or intend to collect cartridges. Mainly Saturn and beyond only and handheld stuff. So SNES and Genesis and N64 stuff will never find its way back into my collection. Might pick a game here and there, though. Would like to replace a couple of my favorite Super Fami games like Actraiser and Pilotwings to see how they look in RGB and upscaled.

Is the PS2 even considered "retro" these days? I'm of the school of thought that retro/old-school are those systems and games from the 5th gen and below.

One definition I've seen, used on Digital Press, is that Dreamcast or older is "retro", PS2 or newer isn't. I know, DC is also 6th gen, but it died so early that it's more "retro" than the other 6th gen systems... But yeah, it's a very good time right now to get cheap PS2, Xbox, or GC games, if you can find them... some will surely get rarer over time.

I only started re-collecting a few years back and for the most part don't collect, or intend to collect cartridges.
Are you not afraid of disc rot? lol...

But yes, a collecting thread would be a nice companion piece to the gaming setup thread.

One definition I've seen, used on Digital Press, is that Dreamcast or older is "retro", PS2 or newer isn't. I know, DC is also 6th gen, but it died so early that it's more "retro" than the other 6th gen systems... But yeah, it's a very good time right now to get cheap PS2, Xbox, or GC games, if you can find them... some will surely get rarer over time.
GC games are not cheap these days. Not like the PS2 and Xbox, at least. That system (the GC) is going to be one heck of a collectable down the road. Those little discs that everybody hated at first are going to be one of the elements adding to its future "mystique", you'll see.

Enk

makes good threads.
Commodore 64 needs some love.

My first ever gaming machine.

I guess you all missed the epic C64 thread a while back. We get into almost every aspect of the C64 lifespan. From magazines, to game creators, to remakes, arcade ports, music remixes, interviews, etc. Feel free to put this thread on the list for the Commodore 64 era:

Load"*",8,1

nice ones, added!also used a few of Black Falcon's, thanks man
I'm happy to see you put my threads in the OP, but I think that they're something a bit different from the "buying [often overpriced] stuff" collection threads that make up most of that list... :p

GC games are not cheap these days. Not like the PS2 and Xbox, at least. That system (the GC) is going to be one heck of a collectable down the road. Those little discs that everybody hated at first are going to be one of the elements adding to its future "mystique", you'll see.

That's true, it's PS2 and Xbox that are the cheap ones. Xbox particularly; some PS2 games (RPGs...) are expensive. Xbox and cheap PS2 stuff, I guess... though a lot of that cheap PS2 stuff never will have value, I think.

Seik

Banned
I'm kind of late, just saw this thread. ^^'

I was thinking about creating a thread where I could describe every way to back-up our old school games to our PCs, maybe even recommend some emulators for the consoles in question as well. Is it worth doing it?

I gotta admit this thread got me a bit nervous. I know pretty much what to buy/do to back-up all my stuff, in fact I ripped all my GB/GBA/SNES/N64/GEN/DC/SAT/PCE collections, only PSX left (I have a few but I'm too lazy too rip them all atm, but the whole disc rot thing is crancking me up to do it soon.) and I'd like to share the knowledge to fellow GAFers that would be interested in doing the same thing.

EDIT: Well, I'd like to rip my entire NES collection as well but such thing requires a CopyNES...and those are very rare. :/

Is the PS2 even considered "retro" these days? I'm of the school of thought that retro/old-school are those systems and games from the 5th gen and below.

If it's more than a decade old, it's retro to me. I mean, damn...10+ years is more than enough. D:

IrishNinja

brilliant - don't know how i missed it; consider it added!

10 years/2 gens removed...admittedly, it feels like a close call, but i'm okay with it for these purposes. no one batted an eye at the gamecube thread, i think once this gen gets full swing & we see how little BC is offered, they'll look like great candidates, sadly

you have my sword, mr. ninja

started from atari now we here

I'm happy to see you put my threads in the OP, but I think that they're something a bit different from the "buying [often overpriced] stuff" collection threads that make up most of that list... :p

true, and maybe if another poster wanted to make a dedication thread we could swap em out...but take at look at say your mama-robotnik-level-in-depth N64 thread, that's not so much about modding the hardware but it's as thorough as you can get for highlighting gems, which for me is like half the joy of these threads.

I wouldn't consider PS2 retro (neither GC nor Xbox): I mean, some important games on the system were still released in 2006 and 2007, weren't they? For that reason, retro for me would be 10 years removed from the last notable releases of a console's life. (Even if it was released 11 years ago, would anybody call Metal Gear Solid 2 retro? I don't think so.)

IrishNinja

it's obviously a very relative term...some might, but when say Phantom Pain comes out (ideally on new hardware) it may very well seem that way, yeah

Of course, it can change fast.

The fact that there are still a boatload of PS2 games readily available at GameStop does contribute to not making it feel retro yet, in my mind.

Tain

I started my XBOX collection last month with Phantom Dust. Eager to add a few more like the Outrun game. I'd be curious in other hidden gems.

I know it's a tough sell due to its size and cost, but Steel Battalion/Tekki is one of the best games. The huge controller is very cool, but it unfortunately tends to overshadow how good everything else about the game is.

andymcc

Banned
I'm a proud owner of a Sega Astro City and a modest collection of arcade games. It's been an interesting experience dealing with arcade stuff. Calibrating the monitor was no walk in the park, and troubleshooting some graphics issues on a few boards drove me nearly insane-- but it's been worth it. I'm not much of a collector, but I greatly value having the best possible experience when playing games I care about most, and that means hunting down original hardware.

I really learned to love arcade games while studying abroad in Japan, and I was fortunate enough to regularly visit some of the best arcades in the world. A lot of people talk about Tokyo arcades but the ones in Osaka and Kyoto are just as good, with equally exotic and rare offerings if you know where to look. Amusement SCOT in Den Den Town had an insanely cool collection on the top floor-- stuff you never see like Gun Frontier, Vulgus, Splatterhouse, Dark Seal, some weird Korean-made vertical shooters, IGS beat-em-ups, and an entire wall full of obscure fighting games that I did not recognize at all. Then one day I saw moving trucks and cabinets sitting outside on the sidewalk. It would be a damn shame if they closed down, but I like to imagine they relocated to make more space for their awesome collection to grow.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm no expert, but if anyone has arcade questions I can probably answer 'em. A dedicated thread would be cool.

sorry if this question is intrusive but where did you find that astro city and how much was it?

I know it's a tough sell due to its size and cost, but Steel Battalion/Tekki is one of the best games. The huge controller is very cool, but it unfortunately tends to overshadow how good everything else about the game is.

i regret selling mine. :(

sorry if this question is intrusive but where did you find that astro city and how much was it?
Not at all intrusive. I happened to find mine on ebay for $400. Ideally, you want to find a seller that you can pick the machine up from yourself because shipping an arcade machine is incredibly expensive. The seller was located in the mid west US and I live on the east coast so shipping was another $200 - $250.

Anyway, when it comes to buying anything arcade related I recommend checking out these forums for a start:

http://www.arcadeotaku.com/ (GREAT place to learn about arcade stuff)
http://shmups.system11.org/index.php
http://neo-geo.com/
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ (never used it much, but seems pretty active)

Each one has a trading/buying/selling section. There are a lot of knowledgeable people who are experienced with arcade hardware and where to buy and sell things. Every once and a while someone will be putting up a machine for sale. I think it's even appropriate to post a WTB (want-to-buy) request so someone can keep you in mind for when they finally decide to sell their machine.

If you're impatient like I was, you can just check ebay and bite the bullet on whatever the shipping is-- or maybe you'll luck out and find one nearby. Try checking craigslist too. It'd be best if you can test the machine out yourself before you buy it. Make sure to research models on the arcadeotaku wiki and read their beginner's guide.

andymcc

Banned
Not at all intrusive. I happened to find mine on ebay for $400. Ideally, you want to find a seller that you can pick the machine up from yourself because shipping an arcade machine is incredibly expensive. The seller was located in the mid west US and I live on the east coast so shipping was another $200 - $250.

Anyway, when it comes to buying anything arcade related I recommend checking out these forums for a start:

http://www.arcadeotaku.com/ (GREAT place to learn about arcade stuff)
http://shmups.system11.org/index.php
http://neo-geo.com/
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ (never used it much, but seems pretty active)

Each one has a trading/buying/selling section. There are a lot of knowledgeable people who are experienced with arcade hardware and where to buy and sell things. Every once and a while someone will be putting up a machine for sale. I think it's even appropriate to post a WTB (want-to-buy) request so someone can keep you in mind for when they finally decide to sell their machine.

If you're impatient like I was, you can just check ebay and bite the bullet on whatever the shipping is-- or maybe you'll luck out and find one nearby. Try checking craigslist too. It'd be best if you can test the machine out yourself before you buy it. Make sure to research models on the arcadeotaku wiki and read their beginner's guide.

if you don't mind me asking another question, where in the midwest was it purchased from? was the person you bought from a private collector or did he/she regularly dabble in arcade sales?

Great thread. But let´s hope those retro revival in GAF does not inflate the prices :)

I am sorting out my collection right now and taking some pictures, which I will post in the corrected threads.

I aslo on a mod for a Xbox thread, but I do not know if I will have the time to start it right now.

if you don't mind me asking another question, where in the midwest was it purchased from? was the person you bought from a private collector or did he/she regularly dabble in arcade sales?
Ah, sorry I don't remember where exactly. If I remember correctly this person would periodically get a shipment of old machines from Japan, make sure they worked, add any extra hardware you requested and ship em out.

andymcc

Banned
Ah, sorry I don't remember where exactly. If I remember correctly this person would periodically get a shipment of old machines from Japan, make sure they worked, add any extra hardware you requested and ship em out.

thanks! i'll try to keep a look out for sellers that are in geographic alignment with me.

Does PlanetSide 1 count as retro? It's 10 years old but still has a 15 dollar monthly sub attached so not many people play it. Apparently it is going free to play soon so it should see a resurgence in its community.

Yes Boss!

It is actually not a tough sell at all for me since I'm a big fan of arcade-style controllers...and my spending threshold is quite a bit looser for them. I've looked at listings on eBay over the years. And have almost pulled the trigger once or twice.

neora

I suppose a thread about upscalers could be of use, but pretty much all the information you would need in regards to upscalers is covered on this page:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

As for getting RGB out of various consoles, you need look no further than these two sites...

http://www.retrorgb.com/

http://www.gamesx.com/

I can probably answer most questions about these topics in regards to old Nintendo systems so feel free to PM me if you have any.
But pretty much all the info you need is available on those sites.

I suppose a thread about upscalers could be of use, but pretty much all the information you would need in regards to upscalers is covered on this page:

As for getting RGB out of various consoles, you need look no further than these two sites...

I can probably answer most questions about these topics in regards to old Nintendo systems so feel free to PM me if you have any.

Yeah, all of those sites are great, and probably where I'd pull all of my info from if I was to create a thread.

Chucker

Picking up my PVM tonight, got an RCA to BNC as that's the best my NES is going to do without RGB modding it, but have still been looking for a Scart to BNC connector for the SNES. I'll read over this stuff.

Picking up my PVM tonight, got an RCA to BNC as that's the best my NES is going to do without RGB modding it, but have still been looking for a Scart to BNC connector for the SNES. I'll read over this stuff.

I'm actually looking for a PVM to buy as well. What size did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking. I think the biggest I want to go is 20".

Chucker

I'm actually looking for a PVM to buy as well. What size did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking. I think the biggest I want to go is 20".

Guy on CL had this listed
Sony PVM20M4U Trinitron Color Video Monitor (never used, in box) || $100
So I jumped on it, cutting out of work early to make the hour drive.
Here is some info about it. 20 inches is as big as I wanted to go, so it worked out.

Guy on CL had this listed

So I jumped on it, cutting out of work early to make the hour drive.
Here is some info about it. 20 inches is as big as I wanted to go, so it worked out.

Oh that looks like a sweet deal. Nice find!
So I guess to get composite or component out from the consoles to this you need 3 RCA to BNC adapters? I'm playing on hooking up my PS2 to it once I get mine.

Chucker

Oh that looks like a sweet deal. Nice find!
So I guess to get composite or component out from the consoles to this you need 3 RCA to BNC adapters? I'm playing on hooking up my PS2 to it once I get mine.

I know for composite, yeah. Component to RGB might be a bit more tricky, but I'm sure somebody here knows.

Fularu

Banned
I wish I could find someone to get me a MSX Turbo R and an X68000 from Japan :( eBay prices are outrageous compared to Yahoo auctions...

I grew up with first owning an MSX 1... So those pieces are really missing in my collection.

Tain

I still haven't gotten a candy cab, lol. I've been seriously interested in one for ages but just haven't felt comfortable getting one shipped yet. I should just jump in. Don't know where I'd put it yet, but I'd figure something out.

I'm also considering getting a supergun in the meantime. Any suggestions for where to start with one of those?

Yes Boss!

I still haven't gotten a candy cab, lol. I've been seriously interested in one for ages but just haven't felt comfortable getting one shipped yet. I should just jump in. Don't know where I'd put it yet, but I'd figure something out.

I'm also considering getting a supergun in the meantime. Any suggestions for where to start with one of those?

You could email Rancor at shmups as he can usually track down a Sigma and Stick. That is if you want an official one rather than built.

Chucker

Lets see if I got this right, RetroGAF. If I buy this and get a SNES Scart cable. I'll be able to get it to my PVM with the BNC.

Do I want JP or Euro Scart for the SNES?

Yes Boss!

Lets see if I got this right, RetroGAF. If I buy this and get a SNES Scart cable. I'll be able to get it to my PVM with the BNC.

Do I want JP or Euro Scart for the SNES?

Yes, but the SCART cable from your SNES/Super Fami needs to be an actual SCART RGB cable (euro pinout) instead of the JAP 21-PIN (which looks the same as SCART). In other words, you want to pair it with this cable:

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/super-nintendo-pal-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

I'd go all euro SCART pipeline since those cables are more reasonable. The key being that you need to be consistent. In this day in age it is easier to just go all euro SCART. That is what I do.

That is the going price for a cable like that with audio leads...$40.

(gorgeous new Monitor, BTW!)

Chucker

Excellent, thanks. I'll go all Euro then. Think I'll try to find something a little more reasonable than $50~ usd for that one cable though.

Chucker

$30 shipped from Philly is fantastic. I'm right below him in Annapolis. The guy NeoGeo is on break too. What gives, lol.

IrishNinja

see, this is the kinda thing i'd post in an Upscaler thread, but since we ain't got one...

quick question: i was debating hooking my old PS2 into my XRGB mini, since i figure it'll do way better than PS1/2 games than my BC PS3 does, and i got to thinking: there's several HDMI's on this thing, should i hook my WU into it for Wii titles? they were only 480p at best, so it'd stand to reason they'd gain from said upscaling?

Yes Boss!

see, this is the kinda thing i'd post in an Upscaler thread, but since we ain't got one...

quick question: i was debating hooking my old PS2 into my XRGB mini, since i figure it'll do way better than PS1/2 games than my BC PS3 does, and i got to thinking: there's several HDMI's on this thing, should i hook my WU into it for Wii titles? they were only 480p at best, so it'd stand to reason they'd gain from said upscaling?

Wii U does not play Gamecube discs ;-( But, yeah, casually hooking up the Wii U To the Mini for Wii playback I was not impressed. I used Galaxy as a test. Seemed like there were some multiple processing issues. Worth a try to see if you can dial in setting and get it looking good.

IrishNinja

Wii U does not play Gamecube discs ;-(

...which is absolute crap, since you know they got the same bits inside, heh
yeah i got the GC plugged into it via component, i was just thinking it might be worth it to plug in the WU, because while those titles may not gain much, the Wii ones like say Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Sunshine etc should, right?

Yes Boss!

...which is absolute crap, since you know they got the same bits inside, heh
yeah i got the GC plugged into it via component, i was just thinking it might be worth it to plug in the WU, because while those titles may not gain much, the Wii ones like say Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Sunshine etc should, right?

Look at the first few posts here...kinda explains perhaps why the image is so poor:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33450&start=2250

IrishNinja

Look at the first few posts here...kinda explains perhaps why the image is so poor:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33450&start=2250

...damn. gonna prolly try for myself but that's not promising...so weird that a 480i/p source woudln't stand to look better; my GC stuff already sees a benefit, wonder why it's different here. and ive got a panny ST60, better revision of the same set that other guy used.

man i really dont wanna go hooking up the wii again just to upscale it, that'd feel silly.

Top Bottom