• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PantherLotus said:
I finally checked this out, and other than the Homebrew Channel icon itself and the SNES emulator, I am largely disappointed. All the original games fucking stink, including Tetris.

The media player was ok, I guess.

Anything else I should check out?

Yeah. I set up the HBC and HBB, and haven't done much beyond that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
PantherLotus said:
I finally checked this out, and other than the Homebrew Channel icon itself and the SNES emulator, I am largely disappointed. All the original games fucking stink, including Tetris.

The media player was ok, I guess.

Anything else I should check out?

I suppose the emulators of the systems you can't find (yet?) on VC...
oh, and the Gecko "freeloader" app if you've got some imports to try.

itxaka

Defeatist
BEWARE:

AnyRegion Changer is here to stay!

Do you have a PAL shitty console and are stuck with late PAL releases? Wait no more. Launch this program and you can convert your entire console from PAL to NTSC US to NTSC-j and vice verse .

BEST FUCKING PROGRAM EVER FOR PAL USERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXu6...brew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/AnyRegion_Changer

DOWNLOAD NOW

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/AnyRegion_Changer

1687ktl.gif
x0znmo.gif
15f4osj.gif

itxaka said:
BEWARE:

AnyRegion Changer is here to stay!

Do you have a PAL shitty console and are stuck with late PAL releases? Wait no more. Launch this program and you can convert your entire console from PAL to NTSC US to NTSC-j and vice verse .

BEST FUCKING PROGRAM EVER FOR PAL USERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXu6...brew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/AnyRegion_Changer

DOWNLOAD NOW

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/AnyRegion_Changer

1687ktl.gif
x0znmo.gif
15f4osj.gif
So would we like, be able to access other regions' shop channels and stuff? Whoa.

nincompoop said:
So would we like, be able to access other regions' shop channels and stuff? Whoa.

Yes you can, but I'm too scared to mess with this stuff. There's a warning that if settings.txt gets corrupted your Wii won't boot.

The JP store even recognises the EU download of SMRPG, and says "downloaded", despite being different region/language...

itxaka

Defeatist
Dragona Akehi said:
Yes you can, but I'm too scared to mess with this stuff. There's a warning that if settings.txt gets corrupted your Wii won't boot.

The JP store even recognises the EU download of SMRPG, and says "downloaded", despite being different region/language...

That is why there is a tool to save settings.txt :D

CHANGES MADE TO THE CONSOLE AREA SETTING SHOULD ALWAYS BE ACCOMPANIED BY A SYSTEM MENU CHANGE TO THE SAME REGION!

It may be a good idea to backup your setting.txt with this tool (SD card required). The setting_replace tool will also restore your setting.txt from a backup on your SD card.

itxaka said:
That is why there is a tool to save settings.txt :D

Yeah, I'm still too nervous to start messing with this. I'll stick with GeckoRegionFree.

Not to mention that the WiiShop recognises the fact that the region has changed. If Nintendo started to care or notice these things, there could be serious shit.

batbeg

Fucking woah. I would so go for this for cheaper VC/WiiWare games if not for the fact I've first hand experienced my credit card not working on a US Wii :(

batbeg said:
Fucking woah. I would so go for this for cheaper VC/WiiWare games if not for the fact I've first hand experienced my credit card not working on a US Wii :(

Change the country to Brazil -> Use your real postal code -> Credit card works!

However, like I said previously, this is a little too much for me to mess with...

batbeg

Dragona Akehi said:
Change the country to Brazil -> Use your real postal code -> Credit card works!

Sweet!

Dragona Akehi said:
However, like I said previously, this is a little too much for me to mess with...

Noted. I wouldn't try anything any time soon anyway, I don't have any money. I'll see if there are any consequences in a couple months, then think about it.

Does anybody know if there's an app out there that could make it so I could change the button mapping on my VC games? I don't know if this is physically possible or not, but I'd love to make Super Mario World playable.

CTLance

4mujo78.jpg

Oh god oh god oh god so awesome. I'm on my fifth set of underwear and it just... won't... stop.
I want to do indecent things to the guys that wrote the software.

As soon as I get home and have the time I'll take this baby for a ride. Brazil, here I come!

Anyone knows what happens with the Club Nintendo link to the shop account if you change the region etc back and forth? Will I be able to re-link after switchng regions around?

Is it true that once you install the Homebrew Channel, everything in the Wii Shop channel turned to "Purchased" and you can just download it? I'm a little shaking about doing this if that's the case....

Blu_LED said:
Is it true that once you install the Homebrew Channel, everything in the Wii Shop channel turned to "Purchased" and you can just download it? I'm a little shaking about doing this if that's the case....

No, that's only if you download pirated VC games and install them on your Wii.

Even a hacked VC game (like using the DKC2 VC EMU and injecting say, Earthbound inside it) will NOT register as having bought either Earthbound (should it ever be released) NOR DKC2.

Haunted

Blu_LED said:
This is not true.

Dragona Akehi said:
No, that's only if you download pirated VC games and install them on your Wii.

Even a hacked VC game (like using the DKC2 VC EMU and injecting say, Earthbound inside it) will NOT register as having bought either Earthbound (should it ever be released) NOR DKC2.
Oh okay. I know this is talking about pirating, and I'm not sure if that allowed but is there an ap that lets you do that? Because I was talking to a guy on another site, and he said that for him, every VC and WW game came up as Purchased, and all he needed to do we "Redownload" them.

I'm just wondering, I don't want to do it as I stated in the post before.

Threi

notag
whoa thats awesome.

I wouldn't screw with that though so Gecko-OS is good enough.

on another topic did anyone get Mplayer working with DVD's?

Blu_LED said:
Oh okay. I know this is talking about pirating, and I'm not sure if that allowed but is there an ap that lets you do that? Because I was talking to a guy on another site, and he said that for him, every VC and WW game came up as Purchased, and all he needed to do we "Redownload" them.

I'm just wondering, I don't want to do it as I stated in the post before.

I just did the Twilight Hack and installed the Homebrew Channel. Nothing affected my Store purchases, nor does everything come up as "purchased". Make sure you get the official release of the Twilight Hack from WiiBrew and the Homebrew Channel from Hack Mii.

There is an WAD app that will install and uninstall WADs, which CAN include pirated VC software. However, there are other WADs which are essentially homebrew games and channels.

M3wThr33

Banned
Threi said:
whoa thats awesome.

I wouldn't screw with that though so Gecko-OS is good enough.

on another topic did anyone get Mplayer working with DVD's?

I did. I managed to watch Nightwatch for the first 40 minutes (Before I had to sleep) and there was NO skipping. The only issue was that the initial audio track was the director's commentary and not the actual audio, but I was able to change that.

Threi

notag
M3wThr33 said:
I did. I managed to watch Nightwatch for the first 40 minutes (Before I had to sleep) and there was NO skipping. The only issue was that the initial audio track was the director's commentary and not the actual audio, but I was able to change that.
Can you walk me through it? I installed MPlayer, it works, but it doesn't play DVDs.

I know theres this DVD access library to install as well but im not sure what to do with it =\

hopefully not twilight hack because i returned TP already :(

Batongen

Banned
Woah, first time reading this thread, but if I do change regions using the AnyRegion changer, does that mean that I can play both GC and Wii games from any region when putting it in the console?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Anyone around here successfully install the DVD player? I had heard it has pretty bad framerate, but I'd love to hear your impressions if you have them.

Batongen said:
Woah, first time reading this thread, but if I do change use the AnyRegion changer, does that mean that I can play both GC and Wii games from any region when putting it in the console?
I dunno about that specific program, but the region changer I use does exactly that, yes. So I assume the rest of them do, as well.

angelfly

Batongen said:
Woah, first time reading this thread, but if I do change regions using the AnyRegion changer, does that mean that I can play both GC and Wii games from any region when putting it in the console?

Wow thanks for mentioning that here. Never heard of it but I've been looking for a while to see if something like that existed. Now I can buy a bunch of Japanese VC games.

angelfly

It's done. My Wii is now basically a Japanese Wii that plays US disc (can switch back and forth easy).

Gabyskra said:
Oh come on, why tempt me so bad to go d/l the super famicom Fire Emblems... :(

That's what I planned on doing.

Mejilan

The homebrew scene is certainly getting damn interesting. Who would have thought that we could get region-free disc loading, dvd playback, and console region switching all via software, without the need for any kind of physical hard-mod?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mejilan said:
The homebrew scene is certainly getting damn interesting. Who would have thought that we could get region-free disc loading, dvd playback, and console region switching all via software, without the need for any kind of physical hard-mod?

Now get me a PS2 emulator and I will die happy.

Batongen

Banned
angelfly said:
It's done. My Wii is now basically a Japanese Wii that plays US disc (can switch back and forth easy).

Did you backup your "settings.txt" file or did you just do it anyway? I mean, the risks are quite big I reckon. I've tried Gecko OS for wii but the wii version seems to only be doing Wii discs, but I would also like to try GC discs, but I'm too afraid of trying to use AnyRegion at the moment :/. Anyway, it's a neat little application, the homebrew channel, and there are some great stuff to download :).

angelfly

Batongen said:
Did you backup your "settings.txt" file or did you just do it anyway? I mean, the risks are quite big I reckon. I've tried Gecko OS for wii but the wii version seems to only be doing Wii discs, but I would also like to try GC discs, but I'm to afraid of trying to use AnyRegion at the moment :/. Anyway, it's a neat little application, the homebrew channel, and there are some great stuff to download :).

I didn't bother backing it up since if something did go wrong and it bricked the back up would be useless. I also remember all my original settings.

On another note the JP VC store works with my debit card. It only ask for the CC number, exp date, and ccv.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mejilan said:
So it IS possible then without hardware changes? Ninty have no excuses as to why they haven't FW updated to put that in, hopefully they will do pull a Sony re: the PSP and introduce the feature to counteract the hackers getting a foothold.

Anyway, all of this is making me consider picking a Wii up here again, my one has a permanent residency at my sisters as I wasn't playing it enough, mainly due to game pricing and game delays, if these developments keep on coming, I may as well get one for US games and DVD playback.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Threi said:
Finally got DVD playback working :)
Do mind that one of the comments on the guide state that the Wii's cooling fan is not running during DVD playback.

Dunno how that could affect hardware inside.

Threi

notag
Easy_D said:
Do mind that one of the comments on the guide state that the Wii's cooling fan is not running during DVD playback.

Dunno how that could affect hardware inside.
Well im not actually gunna use it, i just wanted to get it working :p

I have a dvd player hooked up already.

Mejilan

Stop It said:
So it IS possible then without hardware changes? Ninty have no excuses as to why they haven't FW updated to put that in, hopefully they will do pull a Sony re: the PSP and introduce the feature to counteract the hackers getting a foothold.

Anyway, all of this is making me consider picking a Wii up here again, my one has a permanent residency at my sisters as I wasn't playing it enough, mainly due to game pricing and game delays, if these developments keep on coming, I may as well get one for US games and DVD playback.

I haven't done it yet, but quite a few folks here on this very page got DVD playback running, and I doubt they all have hardware mods on their Wiis. That said, I don't think there are any hardware issues preventing Nintendo from doing it. They probably just don't want to pay the necessary licensing fees to the DVD Consortium. Kind of like how they released an "updated" version of their photo channel that killed MP3 support.

Ramenman

Holy Crap, so I don't need my freeloader at all anymore right ? But the only thing that still makes me scared about stealth updates is the "this update will gently crush every US save you got on your console, you fucking PAL gamer trying not to be raped !".

Because I can't back up my SSBB file "normally". So is there a way to download one to my console if it ever gets destroyed ?

Mejilan

You can always backup your saves to your PC via the SD card, and yes, I'm pretty damn sure that they figured out how to copy over even the "locked" saves, via homebrew.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:

This is getting FAR too tempting, if it weren't for the whole "things might go horribly wrong in the future AND local Nintendo companies might refuse to honor warranties if they detect third party software" bit.

The Wii has been the first Nintendo product that isn't entirely trustworthy, from a hardware point of view. I'm fairly sure I'm going to have to send it back in this year due to random "refuses to load" issues with Brawl.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
speaking of region unlockers, i tried menu loader (yet another region unlocker & a kitchen sink) today and running jp dewy's on it made the game behave as an english version - the initial warning screen and the wiimote orientation screen both came out in english, plus the cute voice saying 'konami' at the company logo screen in the jp version was not there. unfortunatelly, the game did not progess past those first screens.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, the only thinkg that's keeping me from using US/JPN VC Shops is the fact that I won't get the games back/be able to redownload if my Wii brake in the future since Nintendo would obviously only put my PAL VC games in it.

So, no dice :-/

BUT, does the shift to another region remeains even after having turned the console off?
Or you have to do it again every time (it would be cool when I'm doing a playthrough of an imported game -ie NMH US- not having to using the damn Freeloader every time).

Also, does it treats imported Gamecube games any better than the Datel Freeloader (many are unplayable or afflicted by glitches/borders etc.)?

TreIII

WOW. Now THIS is something else.

Still...I think I'll be siding with Dragona, for now. This new tech associated with AnyRegionChanger is still quite new, and I would like to know how it progresses with continued testing, and how it handles an update from Ninty before I may take the plunge.

But even so....good grief!

Would this mean that you be able to access those other VC channels and get Super Mario RPG? :D

angelfly

TreIII said:
WOW. Now THIS is something else.

Still...I think I'll be siding with Dragona, for now. This new tech associated with AnyRegionChanger is still quite new, and I would like to know how it progresses with continued testing, and how it handles an update from Ninty before I may take the plunge.

But even so....good grief!

Would this mean that you be able to access those other VC channels and get Super Mario RPG? :D

I installed the Japanese 3.2 menu using it and update to 3.3J from using the normal update function. The only thing that would be considered a "problem" is that I ended up with duplicates of the weather and news channel. All I had to do was run the duplicate channel remover and problem solved.

Top Bottom