• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I feel like it's too late for that. Especially with the kind of undertaking it would be. Do you know how many seasons it would take to tell those stories? More than that show would have before getting cancelled. :3
It's not too late at all. Sandman is one of my all time favorite series but it's not one that I've ever been that interested in seeing adapted. I think it's something really hard to adapt, but it's best chance is a cable tv show. The root issue in my book is what makes the book so interesting is how the main character of said book takes a backseat in a lot of the story arcs. Sure he shows up here and there but usually it's other characters doing their own thing. And it's a story that I've always had a hard time boiling it down to a 1-2 sentence pitch/hook. It usually boils down to, it's awesome, read the first 2 volumes and you'll be hooked (the series doesn't hit it stride/voice/vibe until issue 8 with the introduction of death)

Honestly i'm just counting down when American Gods is getting cancelled.
Yea that's not happening. I'd be more concerned if they try to pull a showtime and have the show overstay it's welcome. But starz has shown it won't do that and lets their good shows end. The format of the book allows for padding, but it'll eventually have to hit an ending. i see it as 2-3 seasons max

caliph95

Yea that's not happening. I'd be more concerned if they try to pull a showtime and have the show overstay it's welcome. But starz has shown it won't do that and lets their good shows end. The format of the book allows for padding, but it'll eventually have to hit an ending. i see it as 2-3 seasons max
So it's going to avoid the Fuller curse for once

So it's going to avoid the Fuller curse for once
I think so. This is Starz's big, marque show and I've seen a big advertising push for it. Fuller is usually on network tv and shoved in some dead time slot. I would think starz's rating thresholds is much different. Now if it completely tanks then maybe. But I'll be surprised if it happens given the casting and critical buzz. Unlike Hannibal where I couldn't figure out what it was doing in network TV from episode 1. It was great but It was a premium cable show on network television

Sandfox

Matthew Rosenberg's Kingpin is a character defining story. Anyone who's a fan of the street level Marvel world should read it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Deadly Class volume 4 ending

Jesus Christ, did George RR Martin write this chapter? The fuck just happened.

And I just noticed the skeletons and no Marcus on the cover of volume 5. He's really dead, ain't he? I was hoping they hadn't killed Maria and now I was hoping that didn't actually kill Marcus off but seems like it happened. So fucked up...

Anyone have an hour to spend?

Good morning and what a nice thread~

Last month's top posters:
img_0041giu84.png

error4041

Matthew Rosenberg's Kingpin is a character defining story. Anyone who's a fan of the street level Marvel world should read it.
Honestly just about all of Rosenberg's Marvel work is worth reading. though that really is only Kingpin and Rocket Raccoon so far. but both are fantastic.

I hope he gets a mid-tier book like Hawkeye or Agents of Shield in Marvel's next relaunch.

Aizo

Banned
I've read pretty much all the X23 stuff besides Avengers Academy now. Is it worth reading?

Also, catching up with The Beauty and Motor Crush. I love the art in Motor Crush. That series is really fun. I read through first volume of the Beauty, and I have no idea where it could go from here. Feels like the end.

Sandfox

I've read pretty much all the X23 stuff besides Avengers Academy now. Is it worth reading?

Also, catching up with The Beauty and Motor Crush. I love the art in Motor Crush. That series is really fun. I read through first volume of the Beauty, and I have no idea where it could go from here. Feels like the end.
I enjoyed Avengers Academy.

Aizo

Banned
My buys for May.......

Black Cloud #2
The Black Monday Murders #6
Black Road #10
Copperhead #13
Curse Words #5
Deadly Class #29
Extremity #3
The Fix #10
Injection #13
Kill Or Be Killed #9
Manifest Destiny #29
The Old Guard #4
Paper Girls #14
Saga #43
Seven To Eternity #6
Southern Bastards #17
The Walking Dead #167
The Wicked + The Divine: 455 Ad #1
Youngblood #1

Black Hammer #9

Spencer & Locke #2

Black Cloud gets one more issue to hook me. I found the first issue to be rather uninteresting and the art didn't do a whole lot for me either.
Damn. That's money.
Favorites are bolded?

Aizo

Banned
Yup those are the 5 I'm looking forward to the most.
We read a lot of the same books, since I mostly read Image. I'm most excited for Black Monday Murders or Southern Bastards out of this month's Image stuff. I think my other most anticipated series would be Giant Days. Is there no Birthright in May? That's another I always want to read as soon as it's out. Manifest Destiny, however, I like to read as an arc. I think it's best that way.

Aizo

Banned
Just read the first two arcs of The Beauty today. I felt that the story moved too quickly from creepy mystery to lame conspiracy action comic. By the end of the first arc, I thought they kinda wrote themselves into a corner, so I as interested to see what they did in arc two. Then, they introduced a completely different story that honestly has very little to do with the beauty (the disease) at all... and the art dropped off a cliff for three issues. I don't know if I want to keep reading this. The narrative is all over the place.

Conceptually, it's a very interesting piece. In execution, though, I think it's quite flawed.

caliph95

Just read the first two arcs of The Beauty today. I felt that the story moved too quickly from creepy mystery to lame conspiracy action comic. By the end of the first arc, I thought they kinda wrote themselves into a corner, so I as interested to see what they did in arc two. Then, they introduced a completely different story that honestly has very little to do with the beauty (the disease) at all... and the art dropped off a cliff for three issues. I don't know if I want to keep reading this. The narrative is all over the place.

Conceptually, it's a very interesting piece. In execution, though, I think it's quite flawed.
I guess i made the right choice i really didn't care for the book when the virus seemed o have been completely dropped in like the second arc and was just some crime drama all of a sudden

Aizo

Banned
I think the team could utilize the concept to tell such interesting, complex stories about self perception, societal expectations of beauty, and gender norms, but it is actually quite shallow in that regard. Although it is progressive in terms of representation, and I appreciate the normal way in which LGBTQ characters are depicted, there's nothing much more than that.

A whole weekend of Persona 5 and I'm still only just into September. That Summer break may be a little too long.

Old Man Logan

I'm really not into this trek through the past.

Hulk

I've been really liking this book, but this issue seemed like it didn't progress the story at all.

Infamous Iron Man

Hmmm HMMMMMM......

Is this the second time it's done this for a cliffhanger?

X-Men Blue

A lot better than the first issue, but still just OK.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

And I just noticed the skeletons and no Marcus on the cover of volume 5. He's really dead, ain't he? I was hoping they hadn't killed Maria and now I was hoping that didn't actually kill Marcus off but seems like it happened. So fucked up...

What is the number one rule in comics?

What is the number one rule in comics?

Einchy don't read:
That you don't heavily imply things that may or may not be spoilers? Should be anyway. I would have been pissed if I'd read vol 4 and came in here to be like omggg and then someone basically gave the game away by heavily implying. Just throwing it out there.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Einchy don't read:
That you don't heavily imply things that may or may not be spoilers? Should be anyway. I would have been pissed if I'd read vol 4 and came in here to be like omggg and then someone basically gave the game away by heavily implying. Just throwing it out there.

So now I can't use spoilers for what they are for? And I just reminded him of a comics absolute... I guess he should stay away from the fucking Image website then. You are ridiculous.

So now I can't spoiler a spoiler? I guess he should stay away from the fucking Image website then. You are ridiculous.

Whatever, it's up to you what you do about it, just giving you a heads up to that.
I would say yes, you shouldn't quote a dude and direct a spoiler to a dude about a book he's literally reading, regardless of how you deliver it. If you had quoted me, I'd have assumed it was regarding vol 4 and okay to read.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever, up to you what you do about, just giving you a heads up to that.
I would say yes, you shouldn't quote a dude and direct a spoiler to a dude about a book he's literally reading, regardless of how you deliver it. If you had quoted me, I'd have assumed it was regarding vol 4 and okay to read

Thanks for reminding me why I never come here anymore.

Every time Deadly Class gets brought up I'm reminded how much I didn't like it and I feel bad. I seem to be the only one who came away from it on the negative side.

Every time Deadly Class gets brought up I'm reminded how much I didn't like it and I feel bad. I seem to be the only one who came away from it on the negative side.

Do you like Remender's other stuff, or is it the writing style that rubs you up the wrong way? I struggled for awhile with how on the nose his inner monologues can be/wish he let a moment speak a little more for itself at times, but i've came around on him in a big way over the last few months. I did really like Deadly Class from the get go though.

Still thinking about American Alien. I'll need to buy a copy of this book. I also really liked this page. Very American Gods.

Do you like Remender's other stuff, or is it the writing style that rubs you up the wrong way? I struggled for awhile with how on the nose his inner monologues can be/wish he let a moment speak a little more for itself at times, but i've came around on him in a big way over the last few months. I did really like Deadly Class from the get go though.

I have a feeling Remender might be like one of those bands where you will love the first album you listen to and every other album of theirs after that will feel a bit meh. (At least that is what it is looking like for me).

Loved Black Science until it turned more into a time travel story than an alternate world story. Really liking Seven to Eternity so far.

With Deadly Class I think it was the story style, the extended dumps of exposition and the horrible characters. I usually love those type of characters but think with the style it ended up not pairing well for me. The shit(fuck?) face dude, or what ever his name was, was probably my favorite character in the book.

I have a feeling Remender might be like one of those bands where you will love the first album you listen to and every other album of theirs after that will feel a bit meh. (At least that is what it is looking like for me).

Loved Black Science until it turned more into a time travel story than an alternate world story. Really liking Seven to Eternity so far.

With Deadly Class I think it was the story style, the extended dumps of exposition and the horrible characters. I usually love those type of characters but think with the style it ended up not pairing well for me. The shit(fuck?) face dude, or what ever his name was, was probably my favorite character in the book.

Yea, I feel you guys. I think Remender would actually really like that album analogy, if maybe not about himself.

I would say with Deadly Class, there is a lot of character development and change over the series, so that might bridge those dissatisfactions about the characters (I would say the same about Black Science too actually, although less graceful) but that always reads as an excuse to me when you have to tell someone they just need to read more for it to get good. He's a pretty flawed writer but Imo he can hit really good heights on nearly everything he works on, it's just rarely that consistent. You're never getting past the exposition though lol no explaining away that one.

I do reaaaally love Deadly Class though, and honestly the other books to a good extent these days. I just wait for when I'm in a prose-ish mood haha which sounds mad because the artists he works with are incredible visual storytellers.

Messi

What an amazing ballsy volume

Still thinking about American Alien. I'll need to buy a copy of this book. I also really liked this page. Very American Gods.

I can see that with Remender, because even though I really like 7toE I haven't liked it near as much as I first loved Black Science. Just wish it would have went deeper into Sliders territory and less Timey Whimey.

How far did you get in Black Science? I'm actually struggling to put a finger on the distinction between the reality shifting and time travel stuff. I'm probably just forgetting something.

How far did you get in Black Science? I'm actually struggling to put a finger on the distinction between the reality shifting me travel stuff. I'm probably just forgetting something.

Got to the point where he was off on his own going crazy and then went to rescue his daughter.

I mostly say Timey Whimey, by the whole Fate/destiny thing. Once different versions of people started getting involved I kind of lost interest.

Trickster

Could someone explain what the marvel ultimate universe is? Someone told me that's not part of the main marvel universe. Which kinda surprised me because I know Miles Morales is from an ultimate book, but I also thought he was part of the main universe?

Could someone explain what the marvel ultimate universe is? Someone told me that's not part of the main marvel universe. Which kinda surprised me because I know Miles Morales is from an ultimate book, but I also thought he was part of the main universe?

It was a new-reader-friendly imprint that started around 2000 or so. It was very popular for awhile but went into a steep decline. It was killed off totally as part of Secret Wars in 2015 but Miles was brought over to the main universe before it was destroyed. To tell you why would spoil a pretty big chunk of Secret Wars.

Trickster

It was a new-reader-friendly imprint that started around 2000 or so. It was very popular for awhile but went into a steep decline. It was killed off totally as part of Secret Wars in 2015 but Miles was brought over to the main universe before it was destroyed. To tell you why would spoil a pretty big chunk of Secret Wars.

Aha, so if I just want to read series from the main universe. Basically no reason to bother with ultimate comics?

Saw this this morning. Good read.

No wonder the Roussos are signed up to direct the TV show adaptation.

No shit, I did not know that. Hopefully it'll be good.

(Reposting because I didn't realize it was the old thread)

They're also signed on to produce the Quantum & Woody tv series. Who knows which one gets made first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom