• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Quebec working on a "AAA MMORPG", possibly for Wii U

Kifimbo

Emile Gauthier, "communication guy" at Ubisoft Quebec, tweeted this earlier today:

Ubisoft Quebec is working on a NEW AAA MMORPG Game and we need people to fill these very strategic positions http://lnkd.in/hPMFDf

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/emilegauthier/status/143719963339915265

If you follow that link, you'll find 10 job offers, possibly all related to that game. Some of them lead you to believe it's a Wii U title.

In the past, Ubisoft Quebec worked on several Ubisoft dance titles and they also lauched PowerUp Heroes this fall. They also helped with the last two Assassin's Creed games.

Lock if old.

Note:

Ubisoft MMO Job Posting said:
Description

Founded in 2005, Ubisoft Quebec is the leading game development studio in Quebec City area. More than 300 talented people from all horizons are building the future of interactive entertainment.

Not only you’ll work on stimulating projects on multiple platforms, but you will find a «human size» place where your personal development is highly encouraged.

ubisoft3pqzz.png

markot

Banned
Hmm... The tablet would be a good keyboard replacement for an mmo >.< And the joystick stuff could make gameplay more 'actiony'.

Penguin

Haha hints at Wii U.. first two job postings say Wii U-AAA..

But interesting.

A Dancing MMO would be awesome.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Wii U postings sound a bit more like a shooter or Assassin's Creed since they're about matchmaking and sending data between a smaller amount of players.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AAA huh? Wonder how they determined that.

I'll wait for the AAAA MMORPG. I only play AAAA. Thanks for making this decision easy for me early on, Ubi!

Valnen

MMO's are perfect for WiiU, put all that typical hud clutter on the controller instead.

If it's a typical MMO, this isn't a great idea because you need that information constantly available, people would be constantly looking down while playing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AAA huh? Wonder how they determined that.

I'll wait for the AAAA MMORPG. I only play AAAA. Thanks for making this decision easy for me early on, Ubi!
AAA means at least $25 million. AAA MMO means at least $125 million.

JWong

Banned
Why would anyone risk building an MMO for a console that isn't proven?

MMO's are perfect for WiiU, put all that typical hud clutter on the controller instead.

So you end up dying because you're looking at your TV and not at your hud.

Great idea!

markot

Banned
If it's a typical MMO, this isn't a great idea because you need that information constantly available, people would be constantly looking down while playing.

Yeah, but you could still get alot of the clutter off the screen, while keeping the important stuff up.

Paches

Haha, a MMO for the console that has the most questions surround its online connectivity plan (not to mention least amount of consumer confidence I'd imagine). Not sure how that works out, but okay.

watershed

Banned
Whatever it is I hope its good. Is Lego City Stories also an mmo? DQX is and this is, seems like a lot of mmos for a console early in its life.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Being completely serious though:

Network Enginer Wii U AAA Title said:
Responsibilities:

- Propose, implement and further develop solutions to synchronize gameplay between several players.

- Propose, implement and further develop solutions to reduce bandwidth and lag between players.

- Propose, implement and further develop solutions associated with player matching, player classification, exchanges between friends (voice chat, messages) and other social functions adapted to online games.

- Propose, implement and further develop solutions to make games support downloadable content (DLC).

Collaborate with game designers to help them innovate and exploit the opportunities offered by network technology.

- Experience with matchmaking, ranking, tracking
Source: http://www.facebook.com/ubisoftquebec?v=app_404596412628

This really does sound like a non-MMO game.

That's not to say Ubisoft's MMO couldn't be for the Wii U, but that the AAA Wii U game sounds like a different project.

WillyFive

Haha, a MMO for the console that has the most questions surround its online connectivity plan (not to mention least amount of consumer confidence I'd imagine). Not sure how that works out, but okay.

?

It's lack of a central online system is what would make it an obvious choice, like a PC.

Not only you get first dibs on a new console without competition in the genre, and you might get some benefits of the online system.

Kifimbo

The M.O.B

So you end up dying because you're looking at your TV and not at your hud.

Great idea!

Obviously your health/mana, quickbar would remain on screen.

Chatbox, map, quests could all go on controller screen

JWong

Banned
For the same reason you would make any other game on a console that isn't proven.

Launch game sales and building a fanbase using a half decent product.

Ummm launch game sales are always low. No third party expects to make money on launch titles.

And why would Ubisoft care about building a fanbase for Nintendo? Wait, they already done that and failed.

Obviously your health/mana, quickbar would remain on screen.

Chatbox, map, quests could all go on controller screen

"Hey, you're the bomb! Move away! Move it! NooooOOOoOoO!" Boom

"Sorry, my chat wasn't on my screen."

Every bit of UI is important in an MMO. Even the goddamn chat.

Haha, a MMO for the console that has the most questions surround its online connectivity plan. Not sure how that works out, but okay.

Just because 'we' don't know, doesn't mean developers don't know what the online plan is.

EDIT: I agree that the listing for Wii U project and the MMO may not be the same game.

The M.O.B

Also for those of you questioning the online of Wiiu, if any 3rd party knows it's capabilities, it would be Ubisoft.

Caramello

Ummm launch game sales are always low. No third party expects to make money on launch titles.

And why would Ubisoft care about building a fanbase for Nintendo? Wait, they already done that and failed.

Firstly, launch games generally generate higher sales compared to their quality than they would get at any other point in a systems lifecycle. Look at Red Steel for example, it sold over a million copies and was made in 9 months.

Secondly, it's about building a fanbase for your game on a system that could quite possibly sell 100 Million units in its lifecycle. If you create a new IP for a new console, it is more likely to generate high sales compared to later in the systems life and therefore will have the ability to turn into a franchise. Look at the Raving Rabbids for example. If the original Rayman Raving Rabbids came out today, I'm fairly sure it would never have the same mind share as it does today.

Wii Sports is another clear example of a launch title that created a fanbase. Wii Sports launching a year or two after the Wii did wouldn't even have half the fame it does today and Wii Sports Resort would certainly not have sold 25 Million + copies.

With regard to the MMO thing, clearly the game would be designed around the system if they were to make one for Wii U. You're chat example is extremely poor considering the controller has a mic and speakers built into it. They'd support voice chat to counter that scenario. Everything that was needed to be seen at all times would be on the screen, everything else would not be. They could easily slow that pace of the game down enough so that looking away from the screen for a couple of seconds was not something that would get you killed.

watershed

Banned

Wasn't the first rabbids game a wii launch title. It seems like that series went on to see success.

The M.O.B

This is why everybody who has a WiiU will have mic, its built into the controller. Why type out something important when you can say it in half the time?

Top Bottom