• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
Today's episode showed the Sanji/Zeff flashback again. The feels :(

EDIT:

I take it back, they made it so that Zeff didn't eat his leg, instead they changed it to him getting stuck while trying to save Sanji, so he basically pulled a Shanks in order to save him. Lame, why would they change that.

Ray Down

Banned
Today's episode showed the Sanji/Zeff flashback again. The feels :(

EDIT:

I take it back, they made it so that Zeff didn't eat his leg, instead they changed it to him getting stuck while trying to save Sanji, so he basically pulled a Shanks in order to save him. Lame, why would they change that.

Isnt that how the anime always did it?

Euphony

Banned
Well... this is why no one likes the anime!

Oh come on, the anime isn't that bad. Without it we wouldn't be able to witness some amazing 4kids censorship
tumblr_inline_nd4nhywDAg1rgutgl.jpg

But more seriously, after going back and rereading the manga after initially watching it, reading One Piece is far superior. The pacing alone makes reading much better.

caliph95

Oh come on, the anime isn't that bad. Without it we wouldn't be able to witness some amazing 4kids censorship
tumblr_inline_nd4nhywDAg1rgutgl.jpg

But more seriously, after going back and rereading the manga after initially watching it, reading One Piece is far superior. The pacing alone makes reading much better.
An episode has like 15-18 minutes of actual stretched content from one chapter sometimes less
While the manga takes 5 minutes to read and with better art and pacing obviously one is better

LotusHD

Banned
An episode has like 15-18 minutes of actual stretched content from one chapter sometimes less
While the manga takes 5 minutes to read and with better art and pacing obviously one is better

Manga + Youtube certain scenes in addition to that, and you're good.

Euphony

Banned

It really is a shame that the show couldn't be better, but it rakes in some serious money for Toei by stretching everything so thin. I might try watching some of the fan edit that cuts out a lot of the filler to see how that compares.

dan2026

The anime has been awful for so many years now.
I used to love it, but had to drop it a few years back due to the awful pacing.
I hear it hasn't got any better.

caliph95

The anime has been awful for so many years now.
I used to love it, but had to drop it a few years back due to the awful pacing.
I hear it hasn't got any better.
I hear the zou and totp arc has gotten better and we've got some decent scenes

The actual episode I occasionally watch is still too damn slow

Nicolada

Every arc I hear it "got better", but I'm convinced the people who say this are living in full denial or have completely forgotten their standards after years of abuse by Toei.

It's not OP, it's Toei in general. They're the company you go to if you want hundreds of episodes of low-quality anime cranked out for a decade or more. Look at Dragon Ball Super, where the anime comes out before the manga and yet it still has many of the same issues as One Piece. Bad animation, constant reaction shots to waste time, reused animation, 5+ minutes of wasted time for recaps, OP/ED and previews, etc.

Compare other Jump properties like Hunter x Hunter (Madhouse) and My Hero Academia (Bones) whose quality blows OP and DBS out of the water.

The real killer is that they're recently failing to do justice to even the most important moments from the manga. The end of the Doflamingo fight was far worse animated than it was in the manga, which is a new low considering they usually treat those scene very carefully.

It's not OP, it's Toei in general. They're the company you go to if you want hundreds of episodes of low-quality anime cranked out for a decade or more. Look at Dragon Ball Super, where the anime comes out before the manga and yet it still has many of the same issues as One Piece. Bad animation, constant reaction shots to waste time, reused animation, 5+ minutes of wasted time for recaps, OP/ED and previews, etc.

Compare other Jump properties like Hunter x Hunter (Madhouse) and My Hero Academia (Bones) whose quality blows OP and DBS out of the water.

The real killer is that they're recently failing to do justice to even the most important moments from the manga. The end of the Doflamingo fight was far worse animated than it was in the manga, which is a new low considering they usually treat those scene very carefully.

And the unfortunate reality of that is that it's mostly down to just how long Toei has had the license for the animated franchise. I don't think Oda or anyone at Shonen Jump really considers just how bad the anime has gotten, so long as it continues returning good viewership numbers; it works, so why even bother turning a critical eye to it?

Admittedly, not helped that Toei has - to what some might otherwise give credit - generally avoided extended filler, particularly post timeskip (though Oda really hasn't left room for it either). So there's really not much way they even can avoid catching up without stretching out canon material, and there's even less of that to go around than most weekly manga, given Oda now takes regular breaks for the sake of his health.

The anime is just caught between a rock and a hard place.

Ogodei

Toei probably figured out from One Piece and Bleach that extended filler is a ratings-killer nowadays. Studio Pierrot via Naruto seems to have discredited the concept.

caliph95

To be a little fair to Toei hxh was way far ahead when madhouse took it and I'm pretty sure most of the arcs besides the current ones was done.

Plus for bones, my hero academia had problems with pacing in the first season. Also unlike Toei it's basically seasonal and takes breaks in between course and is not continuously running. So for now it avoids the problem of catching up with the manga and the pacing at least the second season (though even the first is better than Toei handling of dbz and op) is good and has consistent animation as a result and allows to have anime of the year highlights like Todoroki and nomu fights

DBS, One Piece, and Boruto are pretty much the only shonens that run in perpetuity with no breaks these days, and DBS and Boruto are anime only continuations not beholden to a manga (even though DBS suffers from a wonky production schedule that it will never truly recover from).

One Piece is too lucrative to even consider taking off the air, and it's not like its pacing/animation quality have made any real difference so why bother?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBS, One Piece, and Boruto are pretty much the only shonens that run in perpetuity with no breaks these days, and DBS and Boruto are anime only continuations not beholden to a manga (even though DBS suffers from a wonky production schedule that it will never truly recover from).

One Piece is too lucrative to even consider taking off the air, and it's not like its pacing/animation quality have made any real difference so why bother?

Pokémon. Looks good, is sometimes very well written. No days off beyond the occasional holiday.

Pokémon. Looks good, is sometimes very well written. No days off beyond the occasional holiday.

It sounds petty, but I don't necessarily lump mascot merchandise shows like Pokemon, Yokai Watch and Cardfight whatever with your regular shonen action shows.

But yes, Pokemon is one of the shining beacons of a long running series being handled correctly, thanks in part to a smooth production timetable, creative use of new tech, and creative direction.

Ogodei

To be a little fair to Toei hxh was way far ahead when madhouse took it and I'm pretty sure most of the arcs besides the current ones was done.

Plus for bones, my hero academia had problems with pacing in the first season. Also unlike Toei it's basically seasonal and takes breaks in between course and is not continuously running. So for now it avoids the problem of catching up with the manga and the pacing at least the second season (though even the first is better than Toei handling of dbz and op) is good and has consistent animation as a result and allows to have anime of the year highlights like Todoroki and nomu fights

It does seem like the anime industry is slowly changing from the idea that you have to be running consistently. Before it was definitely gospel that if you took a break, the chance that your show would come back was slim because the staff would be reshuffled and the timeslot given to somebody else.

Now you see it in some mainstream Shonen (Fairy Tail was able to come back after a few hiatuses, My Hero Academia successfully had a trial-run first season followed by a pause), and you see it on other shows too, like how Yuru Yuri was not a consistent run.

Ray Down

Banned
I mean, I still personally think that making Pudding not so bad after all was completely unearned and a huge cop out on Oda's part. Honestly, I've just come to accept that for the forseeable future most manga and anime won't do a great job at portraying women. One Piece isn't really good with it, but it's still better than most of the manga I've seen

I'm guessing My Hero doesn't do this well then?

LotusHD

Banned
Nah MHA is fine, albeit nothing really special (Or maybe it kind of is considering this is anime/manga we're talking about here), more or less the bare minimum that I'd like to see I suppose. The biggest strike right now is that the female characters barely get any focus to begin with, but at the same time, you get the feeling that at the very least they'll be treated well when they do eventually get their time to shine, due to past chapters/episodes I've seen. Although I guess one thing that sticks out is that the female characters tend to have abilities that aren't as directly "offensive as the male characters. Like the protagonist has super strength, his rivals can explode things, or create fire/ice/lightning, etc. While the main female protagonist controls gravity, while others have the ability of a frog, are invisible, can create acid, etc. Not really a big deal, but again, it's something you notice.

As for fanservice, it's quite infrequent, but it has happened. As for outfits, they're mostly tame, with a few exceptions. For example, one of the students has a quirk that relies on her having exposed skin, which is kind of ehh due to where said skin is exposed, but whatever. There's also a villain who's probably the biggest offender, but villains be crazy, so again, whatever I guess.

Probably the coolest thing to note is their realistic bodies, where they look like real high schoolers, pudgy bodies and all, as opposed to its contemporaries like OP and FT, who both love to have women with exaggerated features.

----

The high bar is still Attack on Titan.

LotusHD

Banned
What's the low bar Fairy Tail or Naruto?

Fairy Tail could win just on the sheer fanservice that permeated the entire series in just about every aspect. Ironically if FT had minimal fanservice, it would be like the 2nd best example, since they often gave their female characters fights.

Naruto had the tame designs, it just (Lol at just) needed better characterization and focus for its female characters...

Cwarrior

The main script writer for Pokemon atsuhiro tomikoka works heavly on both one piece & dragon super, he was the writer behind one piece adventure of nebuland (foxy special), joined the one piece tv team in dressrosa and super in the zamus arc.

Euphony

Banned
I'm guessing My Hero doesn't do this well then?
I'd say that MHA portrays women better than One Piece does but it's still not as good as it could be. It's been awhile since I first read through it, but from what I recall the female characters get little development compared to their male counterparts. Other than Deku, who's the main character and unsurprisingly gets the most development, there's Bakugou and his superiority complex, Iida and his brother, Todoroki and his parents, and in the most recent manga arc Kirishima. All these male characters get far more development than any female character we've seen so far in the series. Like I said though I might be forgetting it misremembering things since it's been awhile which may be altering my perception of the characters, but I feel like the women in MHA are now memorable for their designs and quirks rather than their actions. I do have hope that it'll get better as MHA does break some common shounen trope conventions but so far it's portrayal of female characters doesn't break new ground.

caliph95

Naruto

While fairy tail is shit and half ecchi, it has its female characters among the strongest in the series and generally get an attempt at moments and strong fights plus get involved in the plot and be useful.

Like Erza while gets fairy tail bullshit wins does get regularl fights with the top guys and Lucy helps a lot.

Too bad the writing is shit and has too much pandering fanservice

LotusHD

Banned
Naruto

While fairy tail is shit and half ecchi, it has its female characters among the strongest in the series and generally get an attempt at moments and strong fights plus get involved in the plot and be useful.

Like Erza while gets fairy tail bullshit wins does get regularl fights with the top guys and Lucy helps a lot.

Too bad the writing is shit and has too much pandering fanservice

I can't agree man. The amount of fanservice in that FT is at the point where it just completely undermines the good it did through giving their characters fights. Just remember all the big boobs, all the times Erza and Lucy, and many others, would randomly be this close to being butt-naked, how people would constantly joke that the FT author should just do Hentai already. Just embarrassing.

I'd say that MHA portrays women better than One Piece does but it's still not as good as it could be. It's been awhile since I first read through it, but from what I recall the female characters get little development compared to their male counterparts. Other than Deku, who's the main character and unsurprisingly gets the most development, there's Bakugou and his superiority complex, Iida and his brother, Todoroki and his parents, and in the most recent manga arc Kirishima. All these male characters get far more development than any female character we've seen so far in the series. Like I said though I might be forgetting it misremembering things since it's been awhile which may be altering my perception of the characters, but I feel like the women in MHA are now memorable for their designs and quirks rather than their actions. I do have hope that it'll get better as MHA does break some common shounen trope conventions but so far it's portrayal of female characters doesn't break new ground.

Pretty much spot on. Only Uraraka has really gotten anything, and that was from a memorable fight that happened a long ass time ago. Froppy is the best example of a person where people care about the design/powers, but the character itself has gotten little focus so far. (Though she did get a filler episode yesterday lol)

Right now, the only one we're seeing right now is Toga.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah, I don't think you can use Lucy as a positive example about anything considering all the undermining that happens with her all the time and how in pretty much every arc a villain basically forces her to strip down naked.

caliph95

I can't agree man. The amount of fanservice in that FT is at the point where it just completely undermines the good it did through giving their characters fights. Just remember all the big boobs, all the times Erza and Lucy, and many others, would randomly be this close to being butt-naked, how people would constantly joke that the FT author should just do Hentai already. Just embarrassing.

Pretty much spot on. Only Uraraka has really gotten anything, and that was from a memorable fight that happened a long ass time ago. Froppy is the best example of a person where people care about the design/powers, but the character itself has gotten little focus so far. (Though she did get a filler episode yesterday lol)

Right now, the only one we're seeing right now is Toga.
I mean it's either they do nothing or do alot of stuff but be in a softcore hentai. It's a hard choice but at least they do something besides being cheerleaders

Though I remember the bad romances and fucking juvia

LotusHD

Banned
I mean it's either they do nothing or do alot of stuff but be in a softcore hentai. It's a hard choice but at least they do something besides being cheerleaders

Though I remember the bad romances and fucking juvia

At least if it was set up as a softcore hentai from the beginning, people would give it less flack due to it never pretending to be otherwise.

And yea, almost forgot about Juvia. Basically a much, much worse version of Hancock (Who I like), now that I think about it.

caliph95

images

At least if it was set up as a softcore hentai from the beginning, people would give it less flack due to it never pretending to be otherwise.

And yea, almost forgot about Juvia. Basically a much, much worse version of Hancock (Who I like), now that I think about it.
At least Boa has character besides liking luffy

Julia characterization ends and begins with "Gray-sama"

MCD

Lol Attack on Titan.

Mikasa's strength is because lol she is
Asian/Japanese or some shit
and she goes from perfectly toned woman to skinny ass in mere chapters depending on how horny she is for Eren.

I swear Levi and that crazy woman with glasses are the only good characters there.

LotusHD

Banned
Lol Attack on Titan.

Mikasa's strength is because lol she is
Asian/Japanese or some shit
and she goes from perfectly toned woman to skinny ass in mere chapters depending on how horny she is for Eren.

I swear Levi and that crazy woman with glasses are the only good characters there.

There's more than just Mikasa you know. If Mikasa was the only prominent character, you'd have a better point. Also I dunno where you got that info from regarding the spoiler lol

MCD

There's more than just Mikasa you know. If Mikasa was the only prominent character, you'd have a better point. Also I dunno where you got that info from regarding the spoiler lol

One of the chapters I swear to god they said she is Oriental or some shit.

Anyway I dropped AoT recently because I got tired from flashbacks that I don't care about. Will get back to it next year or so.

LotusHD

Banned
One of the chapters I swear to god they said she is Oriental or some shit.

Anyway I dropped AoT recently because I got tired from flashbacks that I don't care about. Will get back to it next year or so.

Yea, they do do that a lot.

But yea, I brought up AoT due to the whole vibe. Female soldiers aren't treated any differently from the male ones. Virtually no fanservice, except for maybe Mikasa's abs. Several characters have been fleshed out, etc. etc.

It all comes together to allow Mikasa that space as the girl that is crazy over Eren, because the other female characters are doing their own thing.

Top Bottom