• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Waku

I have only (well, Youtube as well but no teacher or anything) used Rocksmith as my teaching tool since I got it and a guitar last November and I would say yes.

I have come a long way since I first plugged this in to my PC for the first time.

Here's a video of Hypnotize, only played it 2 times before this run so that should tell you something on how far a beginner can come with just Rocksmith. I never would've played anywhere near as good so fast just 6 months ago or something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDq9P1rSHpU

How often did you play and train until you where up to this level? Daily i presume. Btw thats some pretty great playing, really awesome.

Picked this up yesterday at best buy and got a pretty freakin sweet deal. I got the guitar bundle for 140 bucks, not sure if the guy who was helping me messed up or if that is the actual deal they are doing but I got it 40 dollars cheaper then they were advertising. The guitar is definitely decent for the price, it came with a little amp too.

pcmprd211800050000_sc.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gibson-...2900050000&st=rocksmith 2014 bundle&lp=4&cp=1

Was having so much fun playing this last night, stayed up till 2:00am playing this shit lol. Was trying to beat that System of a Down song on medium

antitrop

5nfFOUA.jpg

This is my shitty Squier Stratocaster (everyone starts somewhere!), Ibanez S570DXQM, and Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I love the Les Paul more than my own family. The fret markers on the Ibanez are Scythes, I love that.

Dammit! Just because you all are posting them... here's my Gibson ES-175 D

IMAG0268_zps9695ecb3.jpg

Except I wouldn't be using that to play this game... I'd go with either my strat or cheesy ass squire to play RockSmith with.

523318_10200471242049531_1631596777_n.jpg

Shurayuki

My steam friends don't seem to be of the musical variety so feel free to add me too, profile is my gaf homepage.
Offer only viable for nice people who don't laugh at low low prizes scores, started ~ a year ago and restarted from scratch like 4 times already. RS'14 help me!

Wow at some of those guitars guys. I really love the Les Pauls, but no way I can afford one anytime soon. Nice going!

Still on my beginner guitar, You could probably do worse as far as starting guitars are concerned.
A Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II, P90 pickups.
86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737bklj9g.png

Maybe a bit of a random question but what size pick do people tend to use?

For strumming (chords) I like the green Tortex .88mm, the yellow ones .73mm are very popular too for that, maybe the most popular.
For picking I use the purple Totex 1.14mm, got the Jazz variety for the pointy tip.

I have only (well, Youtube as well but no teacher or anything) used Rocksmith as my teaching tool since I got it and a guitar last November and I would say yes.

I have come a long way since I first plugged this in to my PC for the first time.

Here's a video of Hypnotize, only played it 2 times before this run so that should tell you something on how far a beginner can come with just Rocksmith. I never would've played anywhere near as good so fast just 6 months ago or something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDq9P1rSHpU

That's fucking cool man, congrats.

I want to buy RS2014 to learn all the basic stuff and then go from there.

Un4

Got the game+cable bundle today, only to find out it activates tomorrow through Steam.

Just started playing bass so i'll be using Rocksmith for that only. I hope it delivers..

I've looked through this read but haven't found a ton of actual game impressions. Is 2014 worth getting? Do the improvements make it worth a purchase? Is it easier to see the notes, stuff like that? Thanks.

Xyber

I've looked through this read but haven't found a ton of actual game impressions. Is 2014 worth getting? Do the improvements make it worth a purchase? Is it easier to see the notes, stuff like that? Thanks.

Like the title says, everything is improved. Totally worth a purchase if you are interested.

While the game did add a lot of stuff like vibrato, chord slides and whatnot it can make it a little harder to see what you should play if you jump right in with all sections maxed out.

I just found my favorite song to play so far :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8mO7pFPpA

DagsJT

Any way of adjusting how sensitive my guitar is being read on the PC? I've got the volume knob full on the guitar but it's not always reading properly.

I've messed around with volume settings for my onboard sound but just can't get it right. Just the slightest touch on the strings and it's playing notes, but then I pick the "B" and "e" strings and the circle doesn't seem to fill completely and I just can't get a balance. Pretty frustrating.

Cragvis

Loading is...gone?

Really?

Such wow!

I gave up on the first one, the load times between...anything were upwards of a minute or longer..I just could not take that.

DEFIANTLY getting this version.

5nfFOUA.jpg

This is my shitty Squier Stratocaster (everyone starts somewhere!), Ibanez S570DXQM, and Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I love the Les Paul more than my own family. The fret markers on the Ibanez are Scythes, I love that.

I had a alpine white les paul studio, gold hardware w/ ebony fretboard. Sold it last year and completely regret it :(

Xyber

Any way of adjusting how sensitive my guitar is being read on the PC? I've got the volume knob full on the guitar but it's not always reading properly.

I've messed around with volume settings for my onboard sound but just can't get it right. Just the slightest touch on the strings and it's playing notes, but then I pick the "B" and "e" strings and the circle doesn't seem to fill completely and I just can't get a balance. Pretty frustrating.

Oh right. The game sets the Rocksmith USB adapter to 17% volume when you launch the game for some reason. So you need to tab out and go to recording devices and Levels and bump it up to ~50%.

I had the same problem and I hope they patch that. Works much better after you do this.

DagsJT

Oh right. The game sets the Rocksmith USB adapter to 17% volume when you launch the game for some reason. So you need to tab out and go to recording devices and Levels and bump it up to ~50%.

I had the same problem and I hope they patch that. Works much better after you do this.

Cheers, still can't get it right. Playing a guitarcade game then and I was little the "B" and "e" notes again, but every now and then the game read it as being the E string being played. The game just seems super fussy and temperamental.

Roflobear

Yes, if you supplement it with traditional teaching tools(or even something like justinguitar.com)

I second justinguitar.com. It's an amazing resource.

On a side note, does anyone know what the last Uplay reward does? The one that costs 40 points and says it unlocks bonus arrangements. Can they be unlocked by just playing through or do you have to do it through Uplay?

Question about the game...

Does the game tell you which finger you should be using on which string at all times? During a solo? When making chords?

I remember reading tab when I tried to learn guitar years ago and it was a failure for me because I didn't know how to form the chords based on the simple instructions it provided. It seemed as though it was only telling me which fret to be on for each string but not which finger I should be using to achieve that.

Does this game explain this?

I have OG Rocksmith, and have played it for a dozen or so hours. That's about the extent of my guitar experience. I can play In Bloom poorly, and about half of a few other songs.

Anyway, I was just thinking I need to bust it out and make another serious go of it when I saw this was coming out. I can't believe it's $60 + $10 to import tracks though.

I may have to wait for a sale and play the old version for a few months.

Fixed1979

I had a alpine white les paul studio, gold hardware w/ ebony fretboard. Sold it last year and completely regret it :(

When I bought my first guitar my brother warned me never to sell any guitars I might buy...of course he followed that up with telling me that he'll buy whatever if I ever do sell something. My first guitar (and still only electric) a Gretsch Electromatic is nothing special, in fact it pieces me off on occasion but I can't imagine ever parting with it.

Question about the game...

Does the game tell you which finger you should be using on which string at all times? During a solo? When making chords?

I remember reading tab when I tried to learn guitar years ago and it was a failure for me because I didn't know how to form the chords based on the simple instructions it provided. It seemed as though it was only telling me which fret to be on for each string but not which finger I should be using to achieve that.

Does this game explain this?

I don't know if it shows it for all notes (solos), but finger prints with numbers in them show up over the note bars for chords.

They also show finger position for chord training.

kev25b

Is that you playing Johnny B Goode and cyanide?? and you learned to play using rocksmith??

Nirran

So has it been found out yet if Rocksmith 14 is a steamworks title for Retail copies? First time buying and thinking of buying the pc bundle on Amazon but just curious if it redeems through steam or not.

Xyber

Is that you playing Johnny B Goode and cyanide?? and you learned to play using rocksmith??

Indeed! I am a fast learner and music falls natural to me, so I might have it a little easier than most people. But it's still mostly Rocksmith that has taken me to the level where I am today.

So has it been found out yet if Rocksmith 14 is a steamworks title for Retail copies? First time buying and thinking of buying the pc bundle on Amazon but just curious if it redeems through steam or not.

Yes, Steam for retail version as well. You install with the disc and download that last part for the install I believe.

Shadybiz

That was awesome! The solo work was particularly good. Looks like I need to practice more!

Sound issues are resolved! Yep, going with just the onboard sound worked, as well as the adjustment to the realtone cable. Playing great now. Load times are basically nonexistent, and the lag is minimal, if noticeable at all. I can already tell this is going to get loads more playtime than the first one; hell, I might even pay the $10 to import all of the original tracks.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
With the score attack mode we could compete for the best score on a song.

Edit: Add me if you want someone on your friends list leaderboards. GT is crag dweller on xbl.

Xyber

Anyone know if the game uses Steam or UPlay friendlist for highscores? I haven't checked that out yet, so don't know where to start adding people.

This is a pretty big improvement over the original, but not without its problems. For some reason I thought more of a tab view was going to be available, with the fret number on top of the note, but maybe I made that up. Or maybe it was another game? I don't know, I'm not completely thrilled with the panning across the fretboard system. It can be a little disorienting, but maybe I just need more time with it.

Riff repeater is no longer a complete pain to use, but I still wish it gave you more control than what it does. There can be a lot of dead time in a section you are trying to practice. Just let me scroll through the damn thing and select start/end on a specific note. How hard could it possibly be to have an analog stick scroll through the actual guitar view for setting your start and end points? Seems like a no brainer to me.

I really hate the view you get in some of the minigames. I like the normal view with red on top for songs, because it looks like the notes are coming at your guitar. So the upside down view is difficult to visualize for me. But in the minigames it's the opposite. Take the string skipper game for instance. The fretboard is now 'the ground'. So if you view the fretboard the way I do in the normal game, it's as if the fretboard has been tilted backward. But the strings are the reverse of that. Surely I'm not the only person that this bothers.

And it no longer plays back your performance after you finish? WTF?

Bricky

After deciding I really needed to learn to play the guitar someday anyway I went ahead and ordered the all-in-one bundle a few hours ago. Read pretty good things about the included Epiphone Les Pauls Junior and to be honest I wasn't planning on spending hours of research on a cheap, simple beginner guitar (that I'll only use for this software for the foreseeable future) anyway so it will do just fine. I tried the previous version at a friend's place once or twice and was pretty shocked at how quickly I learned basic stuff with it, so let's see what a few months of real practice will result in! :D

I'm glad they went with a sweet ebony-colored guitar this time by the way. The sunburst finish on the guitar they included with the original game looks awful, you need a way better looking (and more expansive) wooden body to make that look good imho.

Varna

Yeah mine starts immediately when the game boots up. I've had stuttering issues with games before, but never as bad as this. I tried booting up RS1 (and a couple other games) to see if it was just my PC being a jerk, but no, the issue was exclusive to RS2.

Were you able to ever play normally? I found a very annoying work around for my situation at least. If I delete the rocksmith.ini and start the game, set my resolution and settings I can play the game just fine without stuttering. But I have to keep deleting it every time I restart or the stuttering kicks up again.

elfinke

Can confirm. I picked up my copy from EBGames here in Australia this morning. In the case is a DVD which will never be used, a 6 page booklet with the normal 'warnings' and 'notes' pages and a 'Steam Activation Code' printed on the front page.

I typed that code into Steam, downloaded 6.2gbs at around 11mb/s and was up and running in 10 or 15 minutes easy as. My new guitar was picked up perfectly, a quick tune was needed and away we went.

Then I had to go to work :/

Shadybiz

Were you able to ever play normally? I found a very annoying work around for my situation at least. If I delete the rocksmith.ini and start the game, set my resolution and settings I can play the game just fine without stuttering. But I have to keep deleting it every time I restart or the stuttering kicks up again.

Yep! A gaffer on another page mentioned changing the settings of your sound devices, which led me to this ubi support page: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/716851

This page also has some ideas for the .ini file, I believe, so it might give you a way to configure the file to not have to go through that process every time.

Configuring the realtone cable, and just using the onboard sound instead of my external sound card worked for me. Game runs fantastically now. It's kinda weird because the external worked just fine for the first Rocksmith, but hey, as long as it's working.

DrBo42

And it no longer plays back your performance after you finish? WTF?
Paul Cross responded to a similar thing on Twitter. Apparently it couldn't stay in for some reason. Might have something to do with the new interface or auto tone or maybe even the "portal" to a venue they have going on.

Total impulse buy on this game. Never played the first. Been playing guitar terribly off and on for a few years and figured now was the time to buckle down and get serious.

Played a couple hours and had a lot of fun with it and actually improved my string bends thanks to the game.

So far my biggest gripe is the fretboard layout on screen. I'm so used to reading tabs that it feels extremely awkward looking at it. Just need to spend more time with it I guess.

Oh, and my practice amp's tone f'n sucks

DrBo42

Total impulse buy on this game. Never played the first. Been playing guitar terribly off and on for a few years and figured now was the time to buckle down and get serious.

Played a couple hours and had a lot of fun with it and actually improved my string bends thanks to the game.

So far my biggest gripe is the fretboard layout on screen. I'm so used to reading tabs that it feels extremely awkward looking at it. Just need to spend more time with it I guess.

Oh, and my practice amp's tone f'n sucks

You can flip the board vertically to be more like a tablature layout.
Options -> Play Settings -> Invert Strings

Practice amp's tone I'm not sure specifically what you're talking about but you can go into the tone designer, put together your own or grab one from a song you like and apply it to the tone sticks. Depending on what platform you're playing I guess it would be applied to face buttons or on PC it's 2-4 with 1 being the auto tone.

Varna

Yep! A gaffer on another page mentioned changing the settings of your sound devices, which led me to this ubi support page: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/716851

This page also has some ideas for the .ini file, I believe, so it might give you a way to configure the file to not have to go through that process every time.

Configuring the realtone cable, and just using the onboard sound instead of my external sound card worked for me. Game runs fantastically now. It's kinda weird because the external worked just fine for the first Rocksmith, but hey, as long as it's working.

Thanks. I could have sworn I had gone over this stuff already but I followed the guide and did everything that applied. I also switched the realtone cable to a USB 2.0 port.... maybe that had something to do with it. Anyhow, seems to be working fine for now.

EDIT: Anyone know why the microphone levels for the realtone cable keep going back to 17? I keep bumping it up to 100 because the game has a hard time detecting some strings but it keeps going back to default even though I don't unplug the thing.

BigDug13

Practice amp's tone I'm not sure specifically what you're talking about but you can go into the tone designer, put together your own or grab one from a song you like and apply it to the tone sticks. Depending on what platform you're playing I guess it would be applied to face buttons or on PC it's 2-4 with 1 being the auto tone.

I'm kind of surprised that was never default. If they're not going to teach reading actual music, they might as well get the player at least used to tablature.

Holy crap that's awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.

And about the tone, I just meant my actual practice amp sounds like crap. The in game amp modeling sounds amazing. =p

kev25b

Indeed! I am a fast learner and music falls natural to me, so I might have it a little easier than most people. But it's still mostly Rocksmith that has taken me to the level where I am today.

Jesus dude that's impressive!!! Got any tips??

Xyber

Jesus dude that's impressive!!! Got any tips??

Just play a lot really. And when using the riff repeater, level everything to max and just slow it down as much as you need and the work your way up to 100% speed. Much easier to know where to put your hand right away instead of learning it wrong on a lower difficulty.

Sorry to derail the discussion about the game into a guitar-recommendation, but I borrowed a friend's guitar and played a few hours of the original game and really enjoyed it...before injuring my wrist (Canadian winters are treacherous) and having to stop. My friend then moved away and took his guitar with him so I couldn't continue to play.

Now I fancy picking up 2014 and buying a good beginner guitar to learn on. Is the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. they pack into the guitar bundles a good choice? Sadly it doesn't look like the PC bundle is available here in Canada and I don't want to pay import fees from Amazon.com but I could buy the guitar solo here and get the game on Steam. Looking to ideally spend around $150 but could go a little higher if there's a solid recommendation.

OT: excited to hear they've reduced loading times and bolstered the teaching side of the game/software - finally have some more free time and would love to start learning!

XShagrath

Now I fancy picking up 2014 and buying a good beginner guitar to learn on. Is the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. they pack into the guitar bundles a good choice? Sadly it doesn't look like the PC bundle is available here in Canada and I don't want to pay import fees from Amazon.com but I could buy the guitar solo here and get the game on Steam. Looking to ideally spend around $150 but could go a little higher if there's a solid recommendation.
Were you looking to spend $150 on just the guitar, or the game and guitar? I'd say that $150 spent on the guitar alone will get you a better instrument than the one packaged in. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with different guitars beyond the ones I have myself, and those are in the $300 range. Buying a guitar alone probably would allow you get a pretty good discount too, whereas the game bundle won't be discounted at all.

My suggestion would be to hit up a local store and look at a bunch in your range, and try them out. If you want, you can try to find a better deal online, but I'd suggest supporting the local guys if they're helpful at all.

Top Bottom