• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BKIh2JL.gif

Wait, who is that girl in Man God's avatar?

For a moment, I thought it was Kid from Chrono Cross, a bad game.

Chrono Cross is a bad game.

It's bad people.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
why is the thread subtitle referencing the Ninja Turtles?

It's bad people.
It's Aika from Skies of Arcadia.

.....a game I should get around to playing eventually considering I spent $60 to get a Gamecube copy a few months ago.

Regiruler

Goku has never really struck me as a person with a learning disability.

He's obviously never in a classroom setting so of course analyzing a learning disability is a bit difficult, but I think many of his attributes are unique to his character among the dragon ball series, and are in line with attributes of people on the autism spectrum.

I always thought Goku's personality and intelligence was a combination of his upbringing and his Saiyan blood. How much is debatable tho. I kinda assume his curious thought patterns are a result of brain damage, his lack of social interaction at a young age, and his love of fighting getting the best of him.

It's bad people.
Chrono Cross is perfectly playable...story is weird as fuck, but that's about it and it has a great soundtrack.
He literally has brain damage, though.
He was dropped on his head and was never socialized normally as a kid growing up. But I'd still never categorize him as autistic.
I wonder if Sarutobe wakes up and asks himself why he fucked his students up so badly. Tsunade and Jiraiya are fine enough, but egads at Orochimaru. Oh...there's Anko...sometimes I forget what she looks like...

Mawile

Banned
He literally has brain damage, though.

I was stating this in another thread, but nothing is confirmed that he has brain damage. I also feel that would be unfitting for the theme of the manga if he had that. I mean, who else has something like that in Dragon Ball?

Anyway, what I feel actually occurred personally is that Goku was a rambunctious child with tons of energy because he's a Saiyan, and was really out of control due to it. When he got hit on his head real hard, it mellowed him out and he probably grew a appreciation for Gohan who took care of him when it occurred.

I think the immense pain mellowed him out similar to like when someone gets in an accident, they act calmer for a bit, and he's just a child so it could've been something that just made him calm down.

Raxus

Goku is confirmed to have brain damage early in the series when Grandpa Gohan dropped him on the head and he went from a violent child set out to destroy the earth to a peaceful one. You see victims of severe concussions see changes in their personalities. Whether he would have been an idiot or not is a whole other can of worms.

Morlas

Goku is selfish, but as much as people give him crap for the dumb and reckless things he's done people are being kinda disingenuous when they portray him as someone who would let someone die just so he could get a good fight, i mean i don't imagine he would've helped cell absorb 18 like vegeta did for example, but he does need to have a lesson about being responsible driven into him somehow if he's ever gonna grow as a character.

Moaradin

Goku is selfish, but as much as people give him crap for the dumb and reckless things he's done people are being kinda disingenuous when they portray him as someone who would let someone die just so he could get a good fight, i mean i don't imagine he would've helped cell absorb 18 like vegeta did for example, but he does need to have a lesson about being responsible driven into him somehow if he's ever gonna grow as a character.

Super spoilers

He literally put universes on the line to have a good fight. Sure, he's not the one who came up with that rule, but he knew damn well the type of shit Zeno does

Chase17

Super spoilers

He literally put universes on the line to have a good fight. Sure, he's not the one who came up with that rule, but he knew damn well the type of shit Zeno does

It is funny that
he has inadvertently saved one of the weaker universes through this though. Although he still certainly pushed forward the tournament.

It is funny that
he has inadvertently saved one of the weaker universes through this though. Although he still certainly pushed forward the tournament.
The fact that he
treats a fucking cat god like a joke is ridiculous.
Dude has no concept of respect.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As someone who is on the autism spectrum with hyperlexia, I.....feel weird discussing if Goku of all people has it. Not offended mind you, just feels...."off"....

I just figured it was the combination of 1.) being hit on the head, 2.) being raised alone in the mountains away from society, & 3.) he's, ya know, someone not from Earth who could originally transform into a giant monkey, that already means he's not normal.

As someone who is on the autism spectrum with hyperlexia, I.....feel weird discussing if Goku of all people has it. Not offended mind you, just feels...."off"....

I just figured it was the combination of 1.) being hit on the head, 2.) being raised alone in the mountains away from society, & 3.) he's, ya know, someone not from Earth who could originally transform into a giant monkey, that already means he's not normal.
That's how I see it too. My sister is autistic. Goku being considered that doesn't exactly resonate with me as accurate by any stretch of the imagination. He has no social graces, at all, not a severe mental condition.

cntr

Banned
Yeah I don't think Goku's actually autistic or anything. It doesn't really work with him.

Goku is a typical selfish saiyan, who lost most of his anger (and possibly intelligence) by being dropped on the head. He'd probably be more like Vegeta if it wasn't for that.

Yeah I don't think Goku's actually autistic or anything. It doesn't really work with him.

Goku is a typical selfish saiyan, who lost most of his anger (and possibly intelligence) by being dropped on the head. He'd probably be more like Vegeta if it wasn't for that.
Well Vegeta is a bit of a dick, but I don't think he's as socially inept as Goku.

Morlas

Super spoilers

eh im not gonna put that whole thing on goku sure it wasn't very smart of him but in the end it wasn't because of him anyway, but yes...it was stupid

I have autism as well and feel the same way. I wanted to comment in the Dragonball Super thread but had no idea what to say. Also I have depression and feel like I'm terrible at everything so the savant talk doesn't really affect me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recall the reception for Wolf's Rain being rather good, though I haven't seen it myself. Another one of those "I just know it's an anime that exists" deals like with Black Lagoon before we saw it on Toonami.

Didn't someone who worked on Cowboy Bebop work on Wolf's Rain?

Mizerman

Is Wolf's Rain worth watching?

I think I remember people in here saying it was good.

It's good, but takes some episodes to get cooking.

I recall the reception for Wolf's Rain being rather good, though I haven't seen it myself. Another one of those "I just know it's an anime that exists" deals like with Black Lagoon before we saw it on Toonami.

Didn't someone who worked on Cowboy Bebop work on Wolf's Rain?

Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiko_Nobumoto

Always been interested in Wolf's Rain. Might check it out at some point. I know it recently released on Blu-ray, but I normally don't buy anime unless I know I like it since sets are normally $30-50 each excluding Aniplex's price gouging ones and some of Funimation's S.A.V.E. series ones being about $20-$25.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thank god, got the Zelda LE pre-ordered on Walmart, now I can cancel my pre-order from Best Buy.

"Preparing, cannot make changes to this order now"

.......*sigh* Now I remember why I don't use Best Buy as often now, they were a huge pain when I tried to return/exchange my glitchy copy of Paper Mario: Color Splash. Or maybe this is a sign that Walmart will cancel the order & I'll have to be content with the copy BB sends me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom