• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a piece of metal stuck in my eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehawk

Banned
Has anyone had any experience with this? I have a very small speck of metal in my right eye. I was using a very small screwdriving, and a teeny piece of it snapped and flew in my eye. I can see fine, it doesn't usually hurt, but if I move my eye around a lot or close my eyes shut very tight, I can feel a bit of pain.

Considering going to the ER, but what could they do that I couldn't do at home? I tried eye drops, but nothing so far.

update:
I kind of feel silly making this thread. I would have ended up at the ER anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this before, and how serious it was.

Anyway I was in an out of the ER in less than 2 hours. The doctor lifted my eyelid and saw it. Got it out with some eyedrops and a q-tip. It was bigger than I expected
They scanned my eyes to make sure it didn't scratch it, and my eyes are a-ok! I also found out I have 20/20 vision :)

They even let me keep the piece of metal as a souvenir.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have a very small speck of metal in my right eye. I was using a very small screwdriving, and a teeny piece of it snapped and flew in my eye. I can see fine, it doesn't usually hurt, but if I move my eye around a lot or close my eyes shut very tight, I can feel a bit of pain.

Considering going to the ER, but what could they do that I couldn't do at home? I tried eye drops, but nothing so far.
They could probably take the speck out of your eye.

DoomGyver

Yeah go, unless you don't want to sleep tonight. I once had a spec of metal in my eye and I didn't even feel it until my eyes rolled back when I was asleep. It was unbearable.

Samyy

I dont understand some people on gaf, if some crazy medical related stuff happened to me I would run to the doctor asap.

Fry

4eFXf.jpg

2332127_o.gif

Coming from a guy who's had an eraser break off into his eye when a chav threw it at him when he was out of school with his friends I would say GO TO A HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY.

I managed to be fine despite temporarily blindness in the said eye and a minor permanent effect but you'll probably have better luck than me.

ajf009

I don't mean any offense but how is it not common sense to get to a doctor immediately?? There's METAL in your eye dude! I hope that shit doesn't get infected.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You're already going to the ER,

but my dad has had metal in his eye twice from his job and he had to get it "scraped out" both times.

He contacted/went to his eye doctor instead of the ER but it wasn't the weekend and during business hours.

THE:MILKMAN

Go to the hospital. I had a corneal ulcer a few years ago caused by contact lenses and I was put on an intensive course of eye drop's for ten days (Once every woken hour!)

I also had to visit the hospital eye department everyday for 7 days........I was lucky and caught it in time. Many people there weren't so lucky and required eye operations.

I wear glasses now.

Meadows

Banned
You've already gone to a walk in, good call.

It's probably nothing too serious, but if left it might get infected and, well, who knows, you could lose an eye.

They'll give you some eyewash and maybe some anti-biotics if it gets bad.

akira28

And maybe invest in a decent set of shop glasses. You can get the kind that look just like glasses, not uncomfortable goggles, maybe the kind with yellow lenses. Once you have an eye-scare you don't want to have another one.

I have, got it from a day out riding my motorcycle, anyways, It was so painful I couldnt sleep, so I had no choice but to go to the eye doctor, still didnt sleep for a couple more days after it was even out, started hallucinating on the 3rd day of no sleep. Go asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom