• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

And in good news, it took resetting the Strange Sights vault and buying a 10 pack, but I got my 13th Carol cover. Now to determine whether I want to champ Jessica Drew (have 2 covers on the vine now), or wait for a while and see if I get a 13th cover for Blade (the Heroes for Hire cover is red, which I already have 5 of).

Blade is like so much better than jess, OMG

I'm aware of that. But I have Blade at 12 covers with none on the vine, and I have Jess at 13 with 2. The basic question is just if I champ Jessica, will I be able to earn ISO fast enough to help if I get a 14th cover of someone I want more?

Triz

First pull on the new PVE vault and I snagged Reed Richards. I sold him after the last buff and then they pulled him from vaults so I thought I just would never get him again. Vindication! All 4 stars rostered now.

Dalek

I now have fully covered Wasp, Captain Marvel, Medusa and Spider-Woman. The ISO thirst is real. I could really use some double ISO.

zulux21

next character hint

""Awesome Mix of Guardians Volume 2""

aka in line with what we guessed.

though the next update in general is sad
"Countdown tiles no longer deal a point of damage when they activate."

that was really fun with marvel and star lord lol.

Spoit

I now have fully covered Wasp, Captain Marvel, Medusa and Spider-Woman. The ISO thirst is real. I could really use some double ISO.

I mean, the thirst is real. But guys, it really helps if you stop wasting ISO on marginal characters like Spider woman, and just save it for when you get actually good characters ready

zulux21

so is it bad that i have iron man 40 as my only 3 star favorite right now in order to raise him towards max level so that he plays with my 4* better :p?

might add iron fist at some point too. haven't decided.

zulux21

Well the rumor is that they're going to nerf him, so....maybe?

that's been the rumor forever.
and I imagine if they were going to do that they would have done it at the same time as OML so they didn't have to go through two waves of hate.

either way I will likely leave him as my only 3 star champ for a while just to get him high enough to give me a black hulkbuster cover so I could champ hulkbuster if I wanted.

Dalek

I mean, the thirst is real. But guys, it really helps if you stop wasting ISO on marginal characters like Spider woman, and just save it for when you get actually good characters ready

She will be the last out of those to Champion for sure. But still that's a lot of characters to Champion-and I still need to Champion my Hawkeye!

Oh, and I've only actually sold about 4 covers of characters I had fully covered and could have champed but didn't, 2 of those were already Jessica, and the other 2 were Kingpin back before I had champed anyone, and none of them were because I didn't have the ISO to champ them.

Edit: Technically, my choices right now are champ Jessica Drew, champ X-Force Wolverine (I have him at 13 covers and Patch at level 222 about to give me the 14th) or just wait to see who I max cover next out of the latest 12 (Carol, Gwenpool, and Luke Cage already champed, with Blade and Agent Venom at 12 covers, Coulson and Riri and Wasp [finally pulled a blue] at 11, and Medusa at 10). I've already decided I'm not doing XFW, but I'm gonna wait as long as I can to sell/use the covers just in case something happens in game to make things easier. Bonus heroes I'm generally trying to use to get older 4* up as close as I can to 13 covers without wasting any.

zulux21

I personally would suggest waiting. I've passed up champing falcap like 3 times now

personally I am finding moving most of the good characters to 200 and the meh or worse characters to 150 has been setting up my 4* roster nicely for most things.

like I said I only champed star lord because I really wanted to fix his covers as both of the teams I wanted to try needed him with the right covers.

that will likely be my chap prority, though both marvel and medusa will likely be up higher on the champ list since they are newer characters and both I will play alot.

we will see what other new characters come out that excite me, but I don't think any of the other characters in the new characters are super exciting... though wasp looks decent (as her constant one turn count down timers could be fun with marvel)

I am more curious why they have been so quiet recently.
last time they went this long with minimal details like this they made some decently big changes (champs and what not)

I mean we know a taco token rework is in progress, I wonder when they will announce it again officially.

oh... some 3 star champ changes
a45sCBy.png

tempted to put khmala and carol as favorites to start building towards the covers... though by the time I get enough covers to do so I will likely have full covers from other means already lol.

Spoit

Ugh, it's so annoying that they always make these changes not-retroactive, especially when that means you skip covers that you actually need

zulux21

well that was a pain.

between electra's shadow step giving her black (like it usually does)
and her red now stealing AP like purple.

it was a pain in the ass to beat her and her constant shadow step.

got a yellow 5* panther and a black oml for it (yes oml is still my bonus hero as I still use him for stuff and really need a red cover for him, once I get one I will change him)

Triz

well that was a pain.

between electra's shadow step giving her black (like it usually does)
and her red now stealing AP like purple.

it was a pain in the ass to beat her and her constant shadow step.

got a yellow 5* panther and a black oml for it (yes oml is still my bonus hero as I still use him for stuff and really need a red cover for him, once I get one I will change him)

Yeah I lost my first match and I have a champed Prof X. I pulled a champ level for Blade.

komarkaze

My 4/3/0 Prof X beat Elektra on the first try because I had an insane amount of 5 color matches in the beginning.

Unfortunately all my 4 star cover pickups lately have been Riri, or Spiderwoman covers that have already been maxed.

Taco vault has XFW with PX, which sucks because both of them are currently at 13 covers and I don't feel like champing either. Just gotta hope they don't announce the taco changes this week.

Also, got another Spider-Woman from the Clash, which makes 3 in the last 6 days. If I get to 10, I'm just going to say fuck it and do it (I won't get 7 more in the next 8 days, though, so it's just a thought experiment).

Spoit

I should really stop pulling classics. Another gwenpoole, but at least it isn't black this time. I guess maybe I could champ her? But she doesn't seem so great.

I'll probably keep pulling until medusa leaves though. Gotta get her covered

I should really stop pulling classics. Another gwenpoole, but at least it isn't black this time. I guess maybe I could champ her? But she doesn't seem so great.

I'll probably keep pulling until medusa leaves though. Gotta get her covered

Technically, she's the best board control character in the game. And as someone that does have her champed, Pink and Green both hit pretty hard when boosted.

Spoit

I got a bonus nova in my 10-pack....but it was the one color I've had maxed. And there's pretty much no chance of me getting 5 more covers for him in 2 weeks, so I had to sell him. Bought the daily deal to make myself feel better, though.

From my taco raid (and this pvp), I have enough ISO to champ someone. The 3 covers I have available are gwenpoole, Ghost Rider, and Miles. Opinions?

Got a few more questions if you guys could help:

My main team consists of 3* Iron fist 2* Thor and 2* Storm. I have read things about messing up your scaling and I have two 4* covers in my deck, Mordo and Wasp. Should I sell them so I can focus on 3*?

Speaking of my 2* covers, I have four fully leveled, should I pay the ISO to champion them?

Is it worth using your command points for covers? Not the 4 or 5 star ones but getting needed covers for my 3*'s?

Any advice would be appreciated.

zulux21

Taco vault has XFW with PX, which sucks because both of them are currently at 13 covers and I don't feel like champing either. Just gotta hope they don't announce the taco changes this week.

Also, got another Spider-Woman from the Clash, which makes 3 in the last 6 days. If I get to 10, I'm just going to say fuck it and do it (I won't get 7 more in the next 8 days, though, so it's just a thought experiment).

I only need blue covers for prof x, since mine was purple I didn't care.

as for the taco changes, rumor is that there will be 10 days after any change is announced to let you clear out your tacos (aka enough time to use all of your current tokens on what ever vaults there are) so your tokens should make it to the next one.

Got a few more questions if you guys could help:

My main team consists of 3* Iron fist 2* Thor and 2* Storm. I have read things about messing up your scaling and I have two 4* covers in my deck, Mordo and Wasp. Should I sell them so I can focus on 3*?

Speaking of my 2* covers, I have four fully leveled, should I pay the ISO to champion them?

Is it worth using your command points for covers? Not the 4 or 5 star ones but getting needed covers for my 3*'s?

Any advice would be appreciated.

If your rostering 4* won't effect your scaling much if your highest characters are 60+. though I don't know if mordo would be worth the roster slot either way unless you bought a lot of new slots.

and if you have the characters fully leveled, absolutely you should pay the iso to champ them. If you do you can start adding the covers you get from here on out in order to increase your 2* levels even higher (up to 144)

as for spending command points for 3* covers, you are going to get mixed responses. Most people are going to tell you to just save them up until you are ready to move fully into the 4* realm (which you don't want to pull characters with the CP until then because you might draw a 5* which will screw up your scaling)

I personally would be willing to spend some CP on select characters (but very select characters) as some of the 3* are really solid and can really speed up your progress in PVE.
that being said, with the bonus heroes system and how many elite tokens you can get by being in a decent alliance... you can also easily just select a single 3* you want to focus on and build it up pretty quickly with bonus heroes (about 1 cover a week on average for casual play)

Thank you Zulux21. I think I will sell the 4* so that I can work on additional 3* characters. I will ask champion my 2*.

Appreciate the feedback!!

I only need blue covers for prof x, since mine was purple I didn't care.

as for the taco changes, rumor is that there will be 10 days after any change is announced to let you clear out your tacos (aka enough time to use all of your current tokens on what ever vaults there are) so your tokens should make it to the next one.

My worry is that it won't be 10 days so much as 2 vaults (i.e. if they announced tomorrow, they'd consider the current and the next vault the last 2).

zulux21

My worry is that it won't be 10 days so much as 2 vaults (i.e. if they announced tomorrow, they'd consider the current and the next vault the last 2).

also possible.

it's still weird that they posted the stuff and then quickly pulled it back. I know there was fan backlash but they tend to ignore that.

ideally what ever they go with will include 4* bonus heroes as that was the major issue the original had (though reduced HP was also shitty)

NineH

Normally SpiderWoman is meh but when she was boosted last week, To Love and Fear was pretty awesome. 4 traps that do around 12,000 damage was not bad at all.

MiTYH

Finally got through Electra with profx. I was very underleveled, took about...8 tries? But i got it done and got my third 5-star thanos. 2/1/0. Makes the 3-star DDQ go by quicker now, I guess

zulux21

we get a 5* star lord and oh yeah a 3* as well.
https://news.marvel.com/games/63733/piecing-together-marvel-puzzle-quest-star-lord/

The new 5-Star and 3-Star Star-Lord variations are more heroic for one. Instead of trying to sucker punch and steal from the bad guys, now he heals and steals! He swoops in heroically, uses the Milano to unleash blasters on the battlefield, and while everyone's distracted by the chaos he quietly pockets some loot.

Star-Lord's first power is called Something Good. Star-Lord swoops in with a last-minute rescue, looking surprisingly heroic in the process of course! For 10 Yellow AP, Star-Lord converts tiles of the enemy's strongest color to Green Charged tiles. If one of Star-Lord's teammates has less than 50% health, Star-Lord burst heals the team. The difference between the 3-Star and 5-Star is the amount this power boost heals; the 3-Star heals less than the 5-Star.

sounds fun as long as the heal and the number of tiles are both good numbers.

The next power is called Something Bad and it costs eight Purple AP. As mentioned above, here's where Peter pockets some loot. Star-Lord steals random enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles and if there aren't any, Peter steals random enemy AP instead. The difference between 3-Star and 5-Star is the amount of tiles/AP being stolen.
at least it ap steals if there aren't any tiles but like most tile steal moves I have a feeling this one won't be great

The third power for both versions of Star-Lord is called Bit of Both and costs 12 Green AP. Star-Lord cranks up the volume in the Milano to complement its blasters as they unleash devastation on the battlefield. It destroys three random columns of tiles, leaving any friendly tiles and deals damage to the enemy team. Destroyed tiles do not generate AP or deal damage. The difference between 3-Star and 5-Star versions is the amount of damage that is dealt to the enemy team.

this one sounds better on paper than I think it will be in practice. it will depend on damage in general, but most characters who make special tiles make them all of the same color, meaning that they will still likely be destroyed if you have a lot of them out.

sounds like there is a 4 star rocket and groot coming too.

Not just that, a 4* Gamora as well.

Josh Austin: In such a short amount of time after Star-Lord launches we will be sharing more info about our new 4-Star Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Vol. 2) coming to the game that pairs awesomely with the fun of the ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2," so yes we have tiny Groot! Rocket & Groot are part two of the Guardians themed event and our new 4-Star Gamora (Awesome Mix Vol.2) will be part three. The events are written by Marvel writer Alex Irvine and each part of the event ties with the launch of a new character starting with Star-Lord this week and concluding with Gamora later in May.

Basically copies of every Guardian we already have and none of the new ones, which kinda sucks. Maybe we get someone new for the home video/streaming release (like we got Mordo for Dr. Strange)?

Also, new boss event featuring Thanos as the main villain, and it looks like a new Guardians themed non-boss PvE as well.

Edit: And looking forward a bit, 3* Peter will probably eventually give out 4* Peter, 3* Gamora (currently gives out Peter) will probably switch to 4* Gamora, and 3* R&G switches to 4* R&Baby Groot. Which would leave Drax without a feeder at the moment (though it would actually make sense for 3* Thanos to give out Drax).

Triz

Josh Austin: Yes, fans should also join or check out Marvel Insider in the coming days for ways to rack up points doing “Marvel Puzzle Quest” related activities! Then, use all points to redeem an awesome in-game reward.

Anyone do this Marvel Insider thing? Im sure the awesome in game reward is a standard token...

Spoit

Anyone do this Marvel Insider thing? Im sure the awesome in game reward is a standard token...

The last one they had was a terrible deal. It was like 50k ISO for more points than a year worth of marvel unlimited (which is the best value/points)

Dalek

new event details
http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/63745/thanos-boss-event-come-and-get-me-4-25-17#latest

starts the 27th through the 30th and is an alliance event so hopefully people show up.

the rewards are 3 star star lord and nova covers thus should be pretty exciting rewards in general.

thanos sounds like a pain.

seems like star lord + storm + a green generator of some sort might be a decent way to go since destroying his tiles helps quite a bit.

AvengersGAF don't let me down

zulux21

I might as well make a bit better of a post

alliance rewards

personal rewards

a bad joke of 2*s for most of it

info about the boss

Thanos doesn't make matches.

Infinity Gauntlet
Black Passive
If there isn't already one on the board, create a 2-turn Gauntlet tile that charges and destroys the entire row, dealing massive damage and gaining triple AP.
The Gauntlet tile can't be matched and won't fall

they are still trying to confirm if gaining triple ap means that it will be 3 ap per tile, or since it says make them charge tiles first if that would make 9 ap per tile and a crap ton of damage.

Infinite Power
8 Purple AP
Creates a Purple Countdown tile.
While this tile is on the board, Thanos (Infinity Saga) deals 15% extra damage and no tiles may be destroyed or changed except by Thanos (Infinity Saga) (tiles may still be matched away)
not horrible aside from the fact that all of his other movies require you to remove tiles to deal with them :p

Infinity Gems
Green Passive
Thanos cannot be Stunned
At the beginning of the battle, place one of each Infinity Gem on the board. Destroying the Gem gives you the following effect:
Time Gem: Creates a random duplicate non-Purple Infinity Gem
Mind Gem: Generate 30 AP of a random color
Reality Gem: Give a burst of healing to your entire team, restoring them to full health.
Power Gem: Deal a massive amount of damage to Thanos (a little more than third of his max health).
Space Gem: Create 2 Critical tiles
Soul Gem: Destroy all Green tiles, dealing damage but not generating AP
soul gem is going to be the most annoying as it could stop fueling storm. even then though I am thinking a team of star lord + Storm + Thor might be decent as star lord is boosted, and with his one move out starting off thor green build and storm green steal is a bit earlier, but there might be a better team. I mean for removing the gems 2* mags might be pretty good :p

3* mags could be pretty good with storm and thor as well since he can use his red to kill a ton of team up tiles to make storm's green more effective.

it will all depend on how much massive damage thanos deals ect.

gwenpool also might be a solid choice given how well she can target things.

Gwenpool + Switch + RHulk, maybe? Generate pink for gwenpool, and Red Hulk's red can help with causing cascades/getting rid of the gems and/or the countdown. Biggest problem with this team would be that you only have 2 useful active colors (I mean, you could use Gwenpool's black if his countdown is about to go off, but that's about it).

Dalek

What about running around, and deserting you?

You'll rue the day

Gwenpool + Switch + RHulk, maybe? Generate pink for gwenpool, and Red Hulk's red can help with causing cascades/getting rid of the gems and/or the countdown. Biggest problem with this team would be that you only have 2 useful active colors (I mean, you could use Gwenpool's black if his countdown is about to go off, but that's about it).

I have championed Gwenpool by I haven't used her much. What would her pink do for the team that would be most beneficial?

zulux21

You'll rue the day

I have championed Gwenpool by I haven't used her first. What would her pink do for the team that would be most beneficial?

uh... target all of the tiles that need to be destroyed by abilities of 4 matches o.o

We can get that legendary token guys. We have set a precedence.

that should be our goal... but we will also have to see how well they balanced thanos.
this has a real shot of being almost unwinnable after the first few rounds if they didn't balance him well.

I mean if his black is really strong it could mean if you can't kill him in two turns you are going to lose a character, and then after he makes it so you can't destroy tiles aside from matches 2 turns later you would lose another character, and two more after that you would just die.

this whole triple ap and big damage move could be a huge pain.

I mean 2* widow might end up being pretty solid, but I don't know how fee-sable it is to make enough blue to keep that counter going so he can't get ap so he can't use his other moves.

but 2* widow + iceman plus 3 star storm to ideally get more ap going might be okay since if you boost purple and blue all the way you would have 4 of each which would put you in range of two matches of their to get enough blue... but that requires a lot of boosts.

alternatively 2* widow plus 4* cyclops + someone with a blue as their highest could work......

actually I Wonder if the massive damage is targeted or AOE.
if is targeted you might be able to cheese it with some inviso stuff.
if it's targeted inviso woman might be really solid as she can protect people from the damage with invisibility (which also makes defense tiles to reduce the damage later) so she might play nicely with 2* widow and 3* storm as you will likely take the first charge attack but after that ideally you can get enough blue/purple/green/yellow to deal with thanos. (and it would allow widow to tank purple so that you can steal it from him as long as he has 6 or less :p)

but yeah we will have to see how things look before we really can finalize any plan.

as I said if he by round 5 or so has the bosses typical 300+ damage well that would be 8 tiles times 3 for being charged times 300 which is 7,200 damage from the tiles alone (let alone any bonus damage from the move or any cascades) by the last round if his tiles end up being close to 600 each it means that aside from select 4 star characters and 5 star characters they would just instant die against the black move... so yeah...

I do have a feeling wininfite will cheese this no problem though (sadly I don't have a true wininfite team)
I mean widow can 4/5 match them with green tile drop, and switch and widow can both use green to kill tiles ect.

Top Bottom