• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing getting arcade version

Emitan

Gravijah said:
DD gets more hate than it deserves. Love that game.
It's still good. Just the worst in the series in my opinion. It felt way too gimmicky and "Hey look guys, physics! Let's make the item blocks roll around everywhere instead of being stationary!" Then again SS is my favorite and I hate the coin mechanic.

WillyFive

Billychu said:
1. I hate DKR. I always thought the handeling was awful, the courses sucked, and while having 3 vehicles was kind of cool the hovercraft was worthless (it made the bad handling even worse), and the flying felt out of place, probably to make sure it wasn't completely broken. I know that tons of people love the game and I'm in the majority, I just want to understand why people love it so much.

2. Double Dash greater than anything? Madness.

Well, you had great music. You had great graphics. The handling was just fine (unless you played as the alligator), and it was very fun and fast paced compared to the slow motion MK64. The courses were very fun and pretty, with loops, clever shortcuts and great balance between any vehicle you chose. The items and weapons were great, and the way you could upgrade them made it a lot deeper than MK64. The battle mode was very fun and was more complex than what you could find on MK64, and they were more varied. There were a lot of extra features you could get with cheat codes, that went on to become popular during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era (Rogue Squadron, LEGO games). Plenty to love about the game.

Also, I didn't think much of Double Dash, but it was at least playable and fun. Also, it came with DK Mountain.

Billychu said:
1. I hate DKR. I always thought the handeling was awful, the courses sucked, and while having 3 vehicles was kind of cool the hovercraft was worthless (it made the bad handling even worse), and the flying felt out of place, probably to make sure it wasn't completely broken. I know that tons of people love the game and I'm in the majority, I just want to understand why people love it so much.
Me trying to tell you why DKR was a good racing game would be like you trying to tell me why Star Fox 64 is a great game. Both would be futile.

I liked Dash too, maybe that was my favorite. I've not played the Wii MK though.

Emitan

Willy105 said:
Also, it came with DK Mountain.
I will admit that's one of my favorite tracks. I haven't played much of the Wii version so does it have more tracks like DK Mountain? I love how you're descending volcano and then just blast your way back up with a cannon. It's still bad ass to this day.

daemonic

Banned
One of my favourite racers, I actually liked it a lot more than MK:Wii (which just felt more of the same to me). Only thing that killed it was the loading times and all that Sonic Says bullshit. Great OST and visuals though.

Source of the potential 3DS version leak:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA2/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=F9E&cws=1&rid=785

Senior Artist
Job Code: 785
# of openings: 5
Description

* Senior Artist (SA L1 to L3) with 4+ years of experience in Game art creations for AAA titles.
* Hands on experience in modelling and texturing in areas like Environment Assets & Characters, except VFX & Animation
* Ability of making Concept Art would be an added advantage
* Communication skills in English.

* Edit - 07 Oct 2010
* Artist will be assigned to Sumo Digital - ARS2, SSR 3DS, Crispins

Thanks wsippel. :)

TheOGB

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Double-Dash!! is the best fucking Mario Kart. >:|
Double Dash is probably my 3rd favorite Mario Kart, but even then I think I enjoyed the Crash Bandicoot alternative more, if only for the sheer ridiculousness of it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I AM JOHN! said:
Double-Dash!! is the best fucking Mario Kart. >:|
Double Dash is my least favorite. I would put thems as...

1. Wii
2. DS
3. 64
4. SNES
5. Double Dash.
6. Mario Kart GBA.

Well, I guess second least, since I do dislike the GBA one more. And I will admit most likely the reason I like Wii the most is the Higher Racer Count

goldenpp72 said:
To my understanding it never even broke half a million between the ps3/360/pc versions, which are the only versions I care about personally, heh. It apparently did so bad they decided not to release dlc they had in the works or even completed.

My understanding is that your understanding is in error :p

goldenpp72 said:
To my understanding it never even broke half a million between the ps3/360/pc versions, which are the only versions I care about personally, heh. It apparently did so bad they decided not to release dlc they had in the works or even completed.

Where'd you hear this? And they did release Metal Sonic as DLC.

What about the Wii version? Hope none of this is from Chartz, as they've been known to be unreliable, and it's a strictly banned site, sourcing sales talk from them is a big no-no.

goldenpp72

Hero of Legend said:
Where'd you hear this? And they did release Metal Sonic as DLC.

What about the Wii version? Hope none of this is from Chartz, as they've been known to be unreliable, and it's a strictly banned site, sourcing sales talk from them is a big no-no.

It was a figure I read here I think, but didn't sega confirm there was numerous DLC and in the end all we got was 1 set and that's it?

Usually that's a bad sign.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love this game so much. I even platinumed it on PS3 and fairly play it online. It's so much fun. Hopefully this arcade release gives the game a much needed exposure because it deserves it. I still want a sequel since they stopped releasing DLC. :(

This game has huge potential. Don't ruin it developers!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Arcade games still exist?? This game feels so right played with a controller I dunno how well it'd work with a wheel. I'd still give it a go if I ever saw a unit in person! Sure hope they can make a true sequel and that it doesn't bomb this time -.-;

Lindsay said:
Arcade games still exist?? This game feels so right played with a controller I dunno how well it'd work with a wheel. I'd still give it a go if I ever saw a unit in person! Sure hope they can make a true sequel and that it doesn't bomb this time -.-;
On my setup (wheel and racing chair) it is a blast to play.

Rlan

Neuromancer said:
On my setup (wheel and racing chair) it is a blast to play.

Also:

sonic-allstarracing-wheel-uk.jpg

I'd kill for a sequel, but I'm afraid that the first game might have underperformed so much, that Sega/Sumo won't want to chance it.

If they had marketed the game better, it probably would have performed quite well. It is the 360/PS3/PC's answer to Mario Kart, and it's a damn good one at that (it's a lot better than Mario Kart Wii).

Sydle

Ben2749 said:
I'd kill for a sequel, but I'm afraid that the first game might have underperformed so much, that Sega/Sumo won't want to chance it.

If they had marketed the game better, it probably would have performed quite well. It is the 360/PS3/PC's answer to Mario Kart, and it's a damn good one at that (it's a lot better than Mario Kart Wii).

They should have worked on the online features more. There's so much they could have done with it.

Jacobi said:
That game is good? :O

It's great.

Why For?

Banned
Jacobi said:
That game is good? :O

Sonic and Sega All Stars is an awesome awesome AWESOME Kart Racer.

I'd actually struggle to go back to Mario Kart. The power sliding system is just feel so....right.

Suairyu

Banned
$19.99 on Steam, although I have no idea what the PC version is like.
Don't buy it for that price. Thing was less than that on launch day, I got mine for £10. Pick up a boxed copy.

Game is super sweet on PC. Has some stuttering issues during the menus on ATI cards, but that's it. You can get 60fps on the humblest of rigs during the gameplay. Turn off the dynamic lighting and you get prebaked shadows that look better and keep performance smooth.

Lack of online isn't so much of an issue because these games play better locally with your mates shoved up on the couch next to you.

WillyFive

Gravijah said:
So, how is the Wii version compared to the console version? Better, worse... the same? Different?

Pretty much the same. It's not as pretty as the HD/PC versions (the biggest graphical difference is literally the shaders, which in this game means more colors), but it has a better framerate than the 360 version and has the Mii, which the PS3 version doesn't have (HD versions do have that one DLC track and character though).

From what the HD people have been telling me, it seems no one plays online in any version.

They are all pretty identical though, even the DS version is very similar (with a few small changes in the tracks for the lower polygon count).

Just pick any one you want.

^Actually I was playing with a buddy on Xbox Live Friday night, before we knew it 6 people joined in and we had a full room. I was really surprised but it was very cool.

WillyFive

Neuromancer said:
^Actually I was playing with a buddy on Xbox Live Friday night, before we knew it 6 people joined in and we had a full room. I was really surprised but it was very cool.

Awesome!

TheOGB

Banned
Suairyu said:
Don't buy it for that price. Thing was less than that on launch day, I got mine for £10. Pick up a boxed copy.

Game is super sweet on PC. Has some stuttering issues during the menus on ATI cards, but that's it. You can get 60fps on the humblest of rigs during the gameplay. Turn off the dynamic lighting and you get prebaked shadows that look better and keep performance smooth.

Lack of online isn't so much of an issue because these games play better locally with your mates shoved up on the couch next to you.
what

Really, now? Whenever I've thought to try and play on Xbox Live in the last, say, six months or so, I haven't seen a single other soul online.

Sega1991 said:
Really, now? Whenever I've thought to try and play on Xbox Live in the last, say, six months or so, I haven't seen a single other soul online.
Hmm maybe a lot of people got it for Christmas or something. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Yuripaw

Banned
I really like the console versions of this game. I'd probably be really interested if I saw this arcade version at first, but then I would turn away as soon as I see the $2 price for a credit. I dunno, this might be only $1 per credit, but even then that's too high to me. When arcade games got into prices like that, that's what I personally think killed arcade gaming.

IrishNinja

Kulock said:
Nice, the game deserves more exposure. It's too bad they abandoned the console versions like they did, but considering how badly it tanked, I guess I don't totally blame them.

they abandoned it? how? shame if true, its a really fun game. cant wait till its on a steam sale.

IrishNinja said:
they abandoned it? how? shame if true, its a really fun game. cant wait till its on a steam sale.

There was a lot of talk about DLC prior to launch that went really quiet after launch. We did get one racer and one track, but this really wasn't on the same level as what they were hinting at.

They also made an attempt to fix a major glitch with the leaderboards and a few other issues, but some aspects in the interface perform noticeably worse since the update, there's still tricks to get impossible times on the leaderboards, and they didn't fix an issue with the way certain flying characters can keep major steering control while drifting by using the d-pad in addition to the analog stick, meaning they can charge boosts almost anywhere on the maps.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, one of the best kart racers out there. But I assume because of the sales, SUMO wasn't really able to stick with it, we were probably lucky to get the patch and batch of DLC we got.

It sold over a million in total, so I'm not sure that qualifies as 'tanking'.
All the planned DLC was released, there was an unlock code & the pre-order forklift as well as Metal Sonic. There's no secret stash of unused content
apart from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Top Bottom