• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

Yeah even when adventure time was the golden goose it didn't get oversaturated like ttg is now, as a matter of fact i don't think they've ever overplayed a show as much as that one, is one of their executives like the uncle of one of the creators on the show or something?

abundant

Yeah even when adventure time was the golden goose it didn't get oversaturated like ttg is now, as a matter of fact i don't think they've ever overplayed a show as much as that one, is one of their executives like the uncle of one of the creators on the show or something?

CN does have a tendency to latch onto a show and play it non stop, but never to this extent. Leads me to believe that either the show's (even with reruns) ratings are above everything else or someone in charge is showing extreme favoritism towards TTG.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Last nights episode was good. Ruby villain's being back is fine by me, but I am a bit bummed the Gems lost the spaceship. That was a nice vehicle for off-earth adventures, and it's now gone.

It's probably that TTG is a great investment. It isn't always the #1 show in ratings for CN, as several Steven Universe episodes have actually beat it on certain weeks.

But TTG is probably much, MUCH cheaper to make compared to shows like Steven Universe. Even if SU is #1 in ratings on a given week, it may not be as profitable as Teen Titans Go, which has mountains of merchandise and probably also ties into their DC properties.

Speaking of DC properties, I'm really goddamn pissed at Justice League Action being aired once a week as well. Maybe they're waiting until there's a season's worth of episodes before they start airing it in blocks like Teen Titans Go. But I've completely forgotten that JLA had even debuted.

abundant

Speaking of DC properties, I'm really goddamn pissed at Justice League Action being aired once a week as well. Maybe they're waiting until there's a season's worth of episodes before they start airing it in blocks like Teen Titans Go. But I've completely forgotten that JLA had even debuted.

JLA is Cartoon Network's current token Action Cartoon, so don't expect it to ever be treated right.

Gameplay reveal for Steven Universe: Save the Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_lEX3jFW0&feature=youtu.be

Looks great! This is a big leap from a 2D mobile game, despite having roughly the same battle system.

Eight playable characters also confirmed.

From what we've seen so far, and the obvious choices, we have:
Steven
Connie
Garnet
Greg
Amethyst
Pearl

I'm assuming the other 2 are Lapis and Peridot, but I could maybe see Lion taking up a slot.

TimmiT

I'm really impressed by the 2D look they gave to the 3D environments

YoTtMf1.gif

pjwpsfb.gif

Psxphile

Yeah, I expect Lion to remain the summon he was originally conceived to be.

I love that Greg gets a slot in the lineup, but you know more fervent fans would have wanted a proper Gem in his place.

Looks like there's going to be combo attacks. I love me some dual techs, y'all.

Yeah, I can see Peridot and Lapis as the other two party members, likely to join later. Maybe hidden? They can be the Yuffie and Vincent of Save the Light.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Gameplay reveal for Steven Universe: Save the Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_lEX3jFW0&feature=youtu.be

Looks great! This is a big leap from a 2D mobile game, despite having roughly the same battle system.

Eight playable characters also confirmed.

From what we've seen so far, and the obvious choices, we have:
Steven
Connie
Garnet
Greg
Amethyst
Pearl

I'm assuming the other 2 are Lapis and Peridot, but I could maybe see Lion taking up a slot.
Looks like they got a huge budget increase for the second game! Do we know yet if it's coming to Switch?

This feels like an episode that should have opened up a StevenBomb, because it's clearly set up for more ominous and thrilling events.
However it was still pretty good, I enjoyed it a lot.
Navy's cuteness made her betrayal/revenge all the more entertaining.
Lapis opening up about being broken and having a hard time adjusting to her new life on earth was also really great and very much needed.
Honestly, I'm super surprised and disappointed by the fact that Lapis hasn't had her own version of the so called "barn arc" yet; it's something I feel should have started with "Same Old World".Taking so long to address these kinds of developments while also glossing over her problems with the CGs has lead to a character who sometimes feels underdeveloped and inconsistent.

Edit: Btw stuff like this...
...should stop. It's kind of sloppy looking...at one point he doesn't even reach her hips, but in this shot he's up to her neck?
Going off-model can be really great, especially for comedic purposes...but characters wildly shifting in their heights like this looks sloppy and makes it feel like the storyboard artist doesn't know how to use the best shot for the scene (considering that this screenshot comes after a scene change the artist could have used a close shot while Garnet was talking and then cut back to a close shot of Steven for his response. A medium shot featuring both characters was unnecessary.)

KiN0

I get the feeling viewership spikes during the bombs, then falls way down for weekly episodes.

This could be a result of the fact that bombs are more eventful while the weekly episodes have come to be seen as filler.

I actually *like* TTG, but the super-frequent airings means that I usually end up seeing one I've already seen if I am just flipping channels. They really need to rein it in.

Now I need to check out JLA.

I was under the impression that Steven Universe is probably one of their most popular right now. Why so few airings?

Steven Universe is undoubtedly their most popular show...online. It definitely elicits the most online discussion. But in terms of ratings for their intended demographic, those online statistics may not always translate into viewership numbers.

The most recent bomb (five episode batch aired daily) saw a drop in ratings compared to previous bombs, but that was because pretty much every Steven Universe fan with Internet access saw the episodes a month earlier due to all of them leaking/releasing early online at once.

I can imagine that Teen Titans Go performs best with the demographic advertisers desire the most. If that's what makes the money, that's what gets the airings. Also, Steven Universe is often much more serialized than TTG or Gumball. There's certain episodes that absolutely must be watched in order. That being said, you would think that would make a perfect candidate for a regular marathon (which they have done in the past).

caliph95

Steven Universe is undoubtedly their most popular show...online. It definitely elicits the most online discussion. But in terms of ratings for their intended demographic, those online statistics may not always translate into viewership numbers.

The most recent bomb (five episode batch aired daily) saw a drop in ratings compared to previous bombs, but that was because pretty much every Steven Universe fan with Internet access saw the episodes a month earlier due to all of them leaking online at once.

I can imagine that Teen Titans Go performs best with the demographic advertisers desire the most. If that's what makes the money, that's what gets the airings. Also, Steven Universe is often much more serialized than TTG or Gumball. There's certain episodes that absolutely must be watched in order. That being said, you would think that would make a perfect candidate for a regular marathon (which they have done in the past).
Is it a similar situation with YJ and Korra, sounds like it.

Is it a similar situation with YJ and Korra, sounds like it.

I imagine that could very much be the case. I still have no fucking idea why Nickelodeon chose to air the last few episodes of Korra online. There's still a big, passionate fan base online for the show, but they didn't really seem to care.

At least Young Justice is getting a resurrection on Netflix, thanks to it being so popular there. Too bad Steven Universe is stuck on Hulu, and with only about two seasons uploaded. Like YJ and Korra, it's a show that benefits strongly from binge-watching. Even the weaker Season 1 episodes work better when placed in the context of gradually building up to the midsession and season finales.

Zubz

Banned
Man, I loved seeing Lapis be the voice of reason. Also Navy being absolutely sadistic. That was a pleasant surprise, even if the leaks spoiled her stealing the ship.

I think another reason ratings might be dropping is they have stopped advertising new episodes are airing. I had no idea these last few episodes were gonna air until the preview showed up on my recommendations on YouTube.

Toxi

Banned
Something I like about this show is how consistent and well-defined the characters are. With the way this episode was set up, I knew Peridot would be gung-ho about having someone new around while Lapis Lazuli would have reservations.

Psxphile

tumblr_ompyq152IQ1rehsmho1_r1_540.png

Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

Oh yeah, today's the second anniversary of Jasper's debut in SU.

Permanently A

Steven Marathons are probably the best way to show the show but... are they even profitable for advertisers?

If I was CN I would do online streaming marathons with ads targeted at the online viewership (mostly teenage/young adult males and females from what I can tell) before each Steven Bomb aired on TV.

Mesousa

Banned
Is Steven Universe even really popular with kids? It wasn't nominated for the kids choice awards yesterday in cartoons, and the airings don't paint a picture that it is.

hughesta

Banned
I don't care how "on-model" a particular shot is so long as it looks great. There are plenty of times going off-model helps sell a scene more.

daevious

Some people are really bothered by this, feeding into the 'SU going downhill since Jailbreak' narrative.

See, I just take from this that Peridot is actually Koichi from Diamond is Unbreakable. Both characters are meant to be taller but all the official art makes them smaller because ???.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
CN does have a tendency to latch onto a show and play it non stop, but never to this extent. Leads me to believe that either the show's (even with reruns) ratings are above everything else or someone in charge is showing extreme favoritism towards TTG.

TTG is the new Johnny Test.

NEO0MJ

While I wasn't surprised by the twist the reason for it was lol.

Edit:
Garnet holding two balloons probably means that there was a chance Navy could have actually turned, right?

Raxus

While I wasn't surprised by the twist the reason for it was lol.

Edit:
Garnet holding two balloons probably means that there was a chance Navy could have actually turned, right?

Yep, as she describes Future Vision she sees a fork in the road and sees how the scenarios typically play out. So I am assuming it was a 50-50 shot.

It's funny with this, because I feel like 2 is more on model than 1 is. The limb enhancers always looked like they made her more like 1 and maybe a bit taller and 1 itself feels too tall.

Then again, I take the episodes where Peridot is super tiny as "fun" episodes because she's doing weird stuff. Even in the cluster episode she seemed closer to 2 leaning towards 3 than 1, and that was a more serious episode by far.

Also, I would pay large sums of cash money for a good Japanese figure company like Alter or Kotobukiya to make a 1/6 scale of flying Lapis.

Rasamune

Neo Member
It's funny with this, because I feel like 2 is more on model than 1 is. The limb enhancers always looked like they made her more like 1 and maybe a bit taller and 1 itself feels too tall.

Then again, I take the episodes where Peridot is super tiny as "fun" episodes because she's doing weird stuff. Even in the cluster episode she seemed closer to 2 leaning towards 3 than 1, and that was a more serious episode by far.

Also, I would pay large sums of cash money for a good Japanese figure company like Alter or Kotobukiya to make a 1/6 scale of flying Lapis.

God I just want some SU Nendoroids!!!!! Goodsmile plz

I think the biggest thing that bugs me about the design inconsistencies is how amazing and well-crafted the show looks when the right storyboarding team is in charge, or when Rebecca Sugar storyboards certain scenes. In a perfect world, the show would look that great all the time.

It'd be one thing if designs were allowed to vary wildly on a show like The Loud House, which is geared almost solely towards comedy. Thought I guess the show would be really weird if the sisters were all different heights from scene to scene and episode to episode. I understand the mindset of allowing storyboarders to put their own style on the characters. But when it's applied to a show loved by most of its fans for its more serious elements, it becomes more off-putting and I'm not sure it really works.

At the very least, the most jarring design differences seem to be regulated to less "important" episodes. The only "important" episode that I can think of that suffers from mid-tier animation is Crack the Whip. The Stevonnie/Jasper fight feels sort of flat, but that's not really due to design inconsistencies.

Zubz

Banned
I sort of like the fact each storyboard artist's scenes look different; I'm fine with the slight inconsistency since it's like each artist's signature.

That said, the short/wide Peridot this episode was a little off-putting, I will admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom