• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D4

Banned
Anyway to get Bulletstorm added to Steam? I bought it off Origin. Can't find the .exe for the life of me and the license key doesn't work.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does anybody have an extra copy of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition? From the four pack? A friend of mine is looking for one and would enjoy saving 10 bucks (she doesn't have the original Street Fighter IV on Steam, so she doesn't get the 10% discount).

Let me know and we can work something out.

coopolon

R2D4 said:
Anyway to get Bulletstorm added to Steam? I bought it off Origin. Can't find the .exe for the life of me and the license key doesn't work.

Weird. I can't find it either. There's a launcher in the Windows Game place, but Steam doesn't see that. I tried creating a shortcut from there to the desktop and then finding the shortcut using Steam, but it doesn't see it for some reason either.

IrishNinja

damn, that was a helluva deal.

hey, i just noticed samorost 2 in my library, despite the fact that ive had it on my wishlist, dont recall buying it, and going to the store page says its $5. buh? was this on an indie bundle and i just forgot or something?

coopolon said:
Weird. I can't find it either. There's a launcher in the Windows Game place, but Steam doesn't see that. I tried creating a shortcut from there to the desktop and then finding the shortcut using Steam, but it doesn't see it for some reason either.

It's something funky like shippingpc-stormgame.exe

gotee12

IrishNinja said:

hey, i just noticed samorost 2 in my library, despite the fact that ive had it on my wishlist, dont recall buying it, and going to the store page says its $5. buh? was this on an indie bundle and i just forgot or something?
Yep, Humble Bundle.

KarmaCow

IrishNinja said:

Yea it was part of the first Humble Indie Bundle.

Nelo Ice

Banned
IrishNinja said:

it was apart of the 1st humble bundle and if u got a steam code then they eventually added samarost 2

IrishNinja said:

IIRC, it was one of the games in the Humble Indie Bundle.

hamchan

IrishNinja said:

Yeah it was added the start of this month if you've registered the humble indie bundle on steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, none care about f2p TF2 rumor? Welp, ok. Likely for the best if it really is just a free weekend or some joke by Valve.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Drkirby said:
So, none care about f2p TF2 rumor? Welp, ok. Likely for the best if it really is just a free weekend or some joke by Valve.
Valve said "yes,m we have a Free Game in the pipeline". People are speculating that it's either Dota 2 or TF2, since they should be getting more money from the MANN CO. Store than game sales by now.

I'm not that surprised to see that TF2 might go Free 2 Play. It's great news, I guess. I hope it doesn't attract a multitude of cheaters to the game, if that's the case.

This has likely been mentioned in this thread before, or perhaps there is some way to spoof it but I noticed today someone had status saying they were playing DOTA 2 Beta.

Does anyone know anything about a beta going around?

homerhendrix said:
This has likely been mentioned in this thread before, or perhaps there is some way to spoof it but I noticed today someone had status saying they were playing DOTA 2 Beta.

I think it's only for valve employees right now. To note the player list names were all "player 1" "player 2" player 3" and so on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
homerhendrix said:

Where they on your friend's list, just in a group, or something else? They did add a new batch of Beta Participants near the end of may.

Drkirby said:
Where they on your friend's list, just in a group, or something else? They did add a new batch of Beta Participants near the end of may.

I noticed it while watching the TF2 video winners, one of the video authors was in game on DOTA 2 Beta. I was instantly jealous...

PaulLFC

homerhendrix said:

I think there's a way to get Steam to say you're playing anything, by renaming an added non-Steam game to what you want it to say. So unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing, I think they could just rename an app in Steam to "DOTA 2" and start it to generate that message.

Sanic

PaulLFC said:
I think there's a way to get Steam to say you're playing anything, by renaming an added non-Steam game to what you want it to say. So unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing, I think they could just rename an app in Steam to "DOTA 2" and start it to generate that message.

Yep, that's correct.

So, in preparation for the summer sale, I have an awkward situation I never really imagined I'd have to deal with.

So I have a 12 year old brother. He plays lots of violent M rated games, like TF2, CSS, CoD, whatever.
But my mom has a problem with sexual content in games, such as sex sounds, nudity, or explicit strong references to sex.

I recently bought Fallout:NV, and it's becoming pretty evident this is not a game he will be able to play.

But he really wants to play it, and now he's talking about buying Fallout 3 during the sale as a replacement since I won't let him play NV.

So, what's the content like in Fallout 3? Obviously there's loads of violence, but disregard that. I'm mostly worried about explicit sexual stuff

Joe Molotov

homerhendrix said:

Did it say "In a Non-Steam Game: DOTA 2 Beta"? Because you can spoof what game you're playing, but only on non-Steam games.

drizzle said:
Does anybody have an extra copy of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition? From the four pack? A friend of mine is looking for one and would enjoy saving 10 bucks (she doesn't have the original Street Fighter IV on Steam, so she doesn't get the 10% discount).

Let me know and we can work something out.

I don't have an extra copy but I'd be willing to be apart of a four pack. I've been meaning to pre-order it myself.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
balladofwindfishes said:
So, in preparation for the summer sale, I have an awkward situation I never really imagined I'd have to deal with.

So I have a 12 year old brother. He plays lots of violent M rated games, like TF2, CSS, CoD, whatever.
But my mom has a problem with sexual content in games, such as sex sounds, nudity, or explicit strong references to sex.

I recently bought Fallout:NV, and it's becoming pretty evident this is not a game he will be able to play.

But he really wants to play it, and now he's talking about buying Fallout 3 during the sale as a replacement since I won't let him play NV.

So, what's the content like in Fallout 3? Obviously there's loads of violence, but disregard that. I'm mostly worried about explicit sexual stuff

So the exploding limbs and decapitations and scantily clad female bodies and bits of brain flying across the wasteland are ok, but tits are not?

There's not sex mini game or anything. You CAN hire a prostitute, but the most sexual part is lying in bed and she'll follow you and the screen turns black and that's it. Not like DA:O or ME where there's some scenes of sex.

Kuro Madoushi said:

So the exploding limbs and decapitations and scantily clad female bodies and bits of brain flying across the wasteland are ok, but tits are not?

There's not sex mini game or anything. You CAN hire a prostitute, but the most sexual part is lying in bed and she'll follow you and the screen turns black and that's it. Not like DA:O or ME where there's some scenes of sex.
Yea, all that is fine. Gibs or whatever don't offend me or my family since it's just a video game, but the sex stuff gets into very real situations we'd rather not explain to a 12 year old.

Well, in NV there's moaning and stuff, which would be a big no-no

Just lying in bed is nothing worse than what the Sims has.

Gvaz

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Yea, all that is fine. Gibs or whatever don't offend me or my family since it's just a video game, but the sex stuff gets into very real situations we'd rather not explain to a 12 year old.

Your brother is 12 years old. Your parents should probably tell him the birds and the bees around now I think.

Better off getting proper information than misinformation, especially from peers or the media (such as videogames).

I guarantee his friends have or know someone who has had sex at that age.

edit: also get him while he's still impressionable. I know I wasn't (in terms of "no fuck you mom" sort of way) when I learned more about that stuff later on.

darthbob

balladofwindfishes said:

This is one of the things I hate most about American culture.

chances are a 12 year old is not going to see the bloody carcass of a half blown off stump of a man. The concept is entirely fictional.

chances are a 12 year old is going to see boobies.

I don't see how this is unacceptable feelings, and how everything negative must be treated with equal fairness.

plc268

balladofwindfishes said:

Get him a pair of headphones.

Problem solved.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
balladofwindfishes said:
I may have accidentally posted your registry findings on every major TF2 related forum.

Sorry
I love the people who think it is a completely different game (Though the subscription does actually have no Applications currently associated with it, which is very odd, but that could be due to the fact that if it is in the registry, and was fully associated with TF2, everyone would be able to download it for free before it is meant to be)

The name does highly suggest it is going to be tied to TF2 though, since like I showed App 440 is TF2. Or Valve could be trolling us. (Though ff valve was onto this kind of thing and didn't want anyone to know about it, they could of just named it after Railworks DLC, and no one would ever figure it out)

Weenerz

Banned
If this is true, I hope Valve rewards the people that bought TF2 or The Orange Box with an in-game item. Something really badass.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Weenerz said:
If this is true, I hope Valve rewards the people that bought TF2 or The Orange Box with an in-game item. Something really badass.
A hat that has the description "I bought TF2 before it became free to play, and all I got was this crummy hat"

Joe Molotov

Drkirby said:
A hat that has the description "I bought TF2 before it became free to play, and all I got was this crummy hat"

Here's a preview of it:

a1dIz.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom