• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that are still amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
okay, so this thread is about awesome old cartoon shows that we have fond memories of, that are still surprisingly great to this day. I'm talking of course of timeless classics such as

Ducktales
ducktales_feature.jpg

and it's spin-off, Darkwing Duck
darkwingcrisistpbPICON.jpg

and why yes, even the Gummi Bears (Disney really could do no wrong back then)
gumisie.jpg

to name just a few. The secret purpose of this thread is to find out which quality shows I missed out on as a kid.

250px-Rocko_title_card.jpg

Rocko was, and always will be, one of the best written and voice acted cartoons of all time.

Lt-porkydaffy-color3.jpg

You can never go wrong with classic Looney Tunes. The Rabbit of Seville still makes me laugh my ass off to this day.

cast.jpg

Again, another classic Nicktoon. Up until the movie where the new baby came into play, that is.

250px-Hey_Arnold_title_card.jpg

Man, Nicktoons were in their prime in the 90's

200px-Gadget4.jpg

Voiced by Don Adams and Frank Welker, I would wake up every morning to watch Inspector Gadget as a child.

Disney's television animation studios were pretty fantastic back in that time period. Gargoyles, Talespin, and Aladdin were all pretty great.

notl.jpg

Still the best

Does not stand the test of time as much as you think. EDIT: Oh, just saw the other thread. I get it

Batman TAS and Superman TAS on the other hand became even better as I got older.

Batman: The Animated Series. In fact, anything by Bruce Timm. Still the pinnacle of Batman IMO. Also, Animaniacs, though some pop culture jokes don't age too well ("Now I know why American Gladiators stays on the air...").

Beast Wars-Suprisngly well done. It really has some great characters, with even better voice acting. Dinobot is especially one of most well done Transformer characters.

G-Gundam

X-men TAS-Really, the show had pretty great story arcs that as a kid really had me keep track of things. That alone made it feel epic in scope compared to other kids shows.

Powerpuff Girls-Just a fun show.

But basicly Beast Wars is my top pick.

300px-Beastwarsmaxgroup.jpg

*searches "Batman TAS" and "Beast Wars"*

Carry on.

Edit: Although I was a teenager by the time it aired, Batman Beyond is still a great watch on DVD.

Violet_0

Banned
cast.gif

loved it as a kid. now that I watch it again I understand the jokes lol

one of my favorites as a kid. A similar and surprisingly clever show that I loved to watch was The Weekenders

tumblr_lbgydrg9Lu1qew4nko1_400.jpg

unfortunately, it only got one season I think

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
81j2bl.jpg

Might be cheating, but DBZ Kai showed me DBZ still holds up. If you cut out all the filler and dub it as it was intended to be.
KuGsj.gif

Superman: The Animated Series deserves a specific mention.

250px-Stas.jpg

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos in several areas. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.

250px-Stas.jpg

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.

The WB animated series is still probably the last great thing involving Superman (outside of comics, haven't kept up).

Freakazoid

or pretty much all Warner Bros shows from the 90s.

My friends and I watched Freakazoid on DVD some time ago and I definitely agree. I think I enjoy it more now than back then.

Visionaries
Thundercats(until leonard starr left after "mumm-ra lives!")
Dungeons & Dragons
Prince Valiant
Reboot
Post-Movie Transformers(rodimus era, earlier stuff could be good, i.e. revenge of bruticus, but more often was not)

Cat Party

The Tick is good. Looney Tunes is still fun to watch. The Simpsons probably doesn't count, but of course the ones that were on when I was a kid are still great. My kids watch Arthur and it's a really good show (I am too old to have seen it as a kid).

itt: people post cartoons they liked as kids and haven't actually re-watched as adults.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think would hold up well are actually hilariously outdated and/or were never really that good to begin with.

Everyone's already listed the best ones.

TheMaxx.jpg

The Maxx - Even though I never fully understood this show as a kid, it stuck with me and having rewatched it, it's on so many levels of fucked up. On the levels of Evangelion.

The Maxx promo

Ithil

itt: people post cartoons they liked as kids and haven't actually re-watched as adults.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think would hold up well are actually hilariously outdated and/or were never really that good to begin with.

We have a thread for that already, thanks.

01.jpg

Escaflowne was probably my first anime. I think I was 10 or 11 when it had that crummy airing on Fox Kids. Well I was interested in it, because I really liked Knights and stuff as kid. Excalibur is one of my favorite movies. So of course it looked cool. The airing on Fox was supposedly bad, but I did'nt care. It was really cool to me. Fox never finnished it, but around this time my family got Netflix and well I rented the first 4 dvds, which is all they had. It really was on of the first anime titles I was watching uncut. It was even more amazing. Of course DvD 4 ended on a big cliffhanger, but Netflixs didn't have the rest of it at this time. Well, then Escaflowne became the first anime I started collecting.

I can easily say I loved it back then. It just felt great with exciting characters in a cool world and of course the suits of armor. So unusual for me back then.

I haven't really watched it in a while, but I started watching it because I thought it was a decent show to introduce to my niece. Well I've been enjoying it. It's aged pretty well. The actual animation is still pretty decent and the story still has some good things about it.

While it's not exactly deep or anything, the characters are still engaging. Vann is a decent lead. You know, he is your typical rambunkous teenage male, but you know the dude has motivation and he's just not boring to watch at all. So many anime leads seem to cookie cutter and just bystanders in there own show, not Vann though. He goes head first into the action. He actually does show growth as well. Hitomi is somewhat worse, but nothing terrible. Some of her confusion makes for a good foil for Vann, she is a bit more level headed and keeps him on some sort of chain. It's a solid dynamic. Of course who I really like is Allen. Because he's the stereotypical white knight, but yet he is anything from perfect. I think his character makes a good point in this type of love story honestly(the seemingly perfect dude). He has a lot of flaws, but in the end he is'nt a bad person and can even be pretty badass.

I don't know it's a decent show. The story is solid and pretty eventful. The music is of course still great. The art is just beautiful.

Everything I've posted I own the complete series of on dvd.

The WB animated series is still probably the last great thing involving Superman (outside of comics, haven't kept up).

Well, there was still the Justice League series that came a little bit later, although that was obviously only partly about Superman.

The All-Star Superman movie that came out a little while ago was very good, too.

I agree that they could be doing a better job with the character. Batman gets way more love from WB executives than Superman and I think the character deserves better.

I really don't understand this. There were millions of cartoons and kids shows when everyone was a kid, yet some of these stayed with people. That to me says they were pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom