• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

RBH

Atlanta is doing pretty good. And the numbers they are pulling? Damn. Great to see MLS growing.

When they play their first game in Mercedes-Benz Stadium at the end of July, I would love for them to open up the entire stadium and try to break the MLS single-game attendance record.

RBH

C7TX8lbX4AEiRch.jpg:small

RBH

Thanks Seattle!

But not looking forward to our match with Seattle in a couple of weeks, especially if Almiron and Martinez won't be able to play due to WC qualifying.

C7JME-xV0AAPXX3.jpg:small

Edit: Hm, the team website implies that they'll be back in time for the Seattle match. Just now sure how effective they'll be after that much travel though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Marsch needs to ditch the 4-2-2-2 for now and try a 4-3-3 instead. Let the top 3 interchange as much as they want, but Sacha needs to be deployed centrally so he can see more of the ball. The 4-2-2-2 isn't resulting in any goals and every time they score it's in the 4-5-1. A 4-3-3 would be a good transitional formation until the team is ready for the 4-2-2-2.

Rumblings that 2020 Copa America is in the US.

EDIT - Not Brazil 2019. Another one the next year.

Makes sense, everyone made a shitton of money off that tournament.

I think Marsch needs to ditch the 4-2-2-2 for now and try a 4-3-3 instead. Let the top 3 interchange as much as they want, but Sacha needs to be deployed centrally so he can see more of the ball. The 4-2-2-2 isn't resulting in any goals and every time they score it's in the 4-5-1. A 4-3-3 would be a good transitional formation until the team is ready for the 4-2-2-2.

All I know is that something needs to change. Our play is just missing something. I have a bad feeling about this season.

Cystm

Seems like a quick trigger there.
Real supporters have been asking for a new coach for the past two seasons. Coming into this season he was on a short leash to begin with and the results weren't there. They've done so good on the homegrown front and the talent is there, though.

I'm thinking they were hoping to get more time to acclamate Petke to the franchise and the USL club in that respect and then move him up later.

Real supporters have been asking for a new coach for the past two seasons. Coming into this season he was on a short leash to begin with and the results weren't there. They've done so good on the homegrown front and the talent is there, though.

I'm thinking they were hoping to get more time to acclamate Petke to the franchise and the USL club in that respect and then move him up later.
Perhaps. It just seems like a decision that should've been made in the offseason if he needed to go. Three games doesn't seem like much.

RBH

738008-germanybastianschweinsteigerafp-1405802251-977-640x480.jpg

More than four months after the Chicago Fire's courtship of Bastian Schweinsteiger ignited during lunch at an Italian restaurant in England, the decorated German midfielder is officially moving to MLS.

The Chicago Fire acquired Schweinsteiger from Manchester United on Monday, finalizing a move that injects credibility and international star power into a rebuilding club that has finished at the bottom of the standings the last two seasons.

Schweinsteiger, 32, comes to Chicago as only the second reigning World Cup champion to move to MLS. He could join coach Veljko Paunovic's team by the middle of next week, depending on his P1 visa application and a physical.

”We're adding someone who has won at every level, including the very highest levels, and has done so in a way that is consistent with our values," Fire general manager Nelson Rodriguez said. ”We as a club will now be forced to hold ourselves to a higher standard, an accountability level. Previously, I think we could satisfy ourselves with what is known domestically. Now we need to rise to a standard that is set more internationally."

Schweinsteiger signed a one-year designated player contract that guarantees him $4.5 million in 2017, a source close to the team said. The deal makes him one of the 10 highest-paid players in MLS and includes a mutual option for at least one more year.

He's the latest European heavyweight to extend his club career in the United States, and he brings a resume that matches any of the brightest MLS stars.

”Throughout my career, I've always sought opportunities where I hoped to make a positive impact and to help make something great," Schweinsteiger said in a statement via the club. ”My move to Chicago Fire is no different. Through my conversations with Nelson and Pauno, I'm convinced by the club's vision and philosophy and I want to help them with this project."

Schweinsteiger has scored 24 goals in 121 career appearances for the German national team, including a start in its victory over Argentina in the 2014 World Cup final. His 13 seasons starring for Bayern Munich included the 2013 Champions League title and eight titles in Germany's top division. He won Bundesliga player of the year honors in 2013.

”In the locker room, he will be a huge example of a champion," Paunovic said. ”He still is somebody that can show that on the field and (demonstrate) how our guys have to work, prepare, behave, think and work together in order to get to that level."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...hweinsteiger-chicago-fire-20170321-story.html

Icolin

Banned
Nice. Looking forward to seeing Schweinsteiger inevitably tear apart the Whitecaps on July 1st in Chicago, lol.

Chicago's shaping up nicely. Accam, Dax, de Leeuw, and, seemingly, Nikolic are all quality players, and Bastian will fit in nicely there. Best of luck and congrats to Fire fans.

Icolin

Banned
Marc Weber (ex. The Province/Whitecaps beat writer): Hearing that Atiba [Hutchinson] to Caps summer move is looking less likely. Doesn't sound like #MLS is willing to pay close to 100% of transfer fee #vwfc

giphy.gif

So I guess we're stuck with Montero on a loan deal, Matias Laba, and Brek Shea as our DPs.

On another note (take this with a grain of salt): The Iniesta to NYCFC rumor isn't completely dead, according to Spanish outlet Donbalon (English: NYCFC Nation), as he's turned down a move to China. It's not entirely impossible, with connections like Villa and City Football Group head Ferran Soriano (formerly of Barcelona), but pretty unlikely at the moment, given that NYCFC have their 3 DP spots full. The only way I see this coming to fruition is when Pirlo retires.

Meier

Just noticed that it looks like the fantasy league is going to have unlimited transfers all season. That's a shame, takes a lot of the strategy out of it. Still have to deal with fluctuating costs though of course.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I Agree.

Hoping they bring Petke in. He's a good dude.

I mean, why else do you bring him in to run the USL side if not to eventually move him back up to MLS?

If he does take over it won't be for a week or two, if only so it doesn't put a huge spotlight on RSL vs NYRB.

Rumor is RSL wants Klinsmann though and the thinking of some of the pundits is it'll be someone who isn't Petke.

Cystm

So, when we had a chance to get Drogba, I poo poo'd it. He went on to have a good first season
(Scoring a hat trick in his first game against a team... Cannot seem to recall which one tho, weird)
and then a terrible second season that saw him as a sub only.

All I will say on this move for Basti is: I hope he is able to adjust to the pace of the league and 1 season doesn't do much for me as a supporter of the club, but the option is there for 2

So,

giphy.gif

I mean, why else do you bring him in to run the USL side if not to eventually move him back up to MLS?

If he does take over it won't be for a week or two, if only so it doesn't put a huge spotlight on RSL vs NYRB.

Rumor is RSL wants Klinsmann though and the thinking of some of the pundits is it'll be someone who isn't Petke.

why tho

- ESPNFC: Does Bruce Arena have no choice but to start Clint Dempsey up front?
- ESPNFC: How will Arena's U.S. team differ from the squad Klinsmann left behind?
- Greg Seltzer: So what so we do now? (projected lineup)
- SI: Who's in, who's out? Key injuries change USMNT's outlook in World Cup qualifiers
Here's where the roster stands after the shuffling:

GOALKEEPERS: David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (LA Galaxy - Suspended Friday vs. Honduras), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Morris didn't train fully today since his ankle isn't quite right. Brooks arrived today and trained, though he's nursing a minor knee injury.

Top Bottom