• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice Summit: "nobody talking about the new WiiU projects they started, only canceled"

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Platform is in serious trouble.

Publishers and developers from the US, UK, France, Germany, and Australia mainly.

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".

from the wiiU uk sales thread.

RoKKeR

DICE Summit or Digital Illusions CE?

EDIT: Summit, got it. Not surprising. Everybody is focusing on Orbis/Durango, and main third party developers just can't be troubled wit the WiiU.

GulAtiCa

I remember when all those 3rd party 3DS games were cancelled 2 years ago around the time of the big price drop.

Btw, what games was wanting to sell millions over time?

lockload

There was only ever a 1 year window that has been well and truly blown with terrible marketing and customer confusion

SystemBug

I have Wii U in my living room that nobody uses to play games on - mainly used for Netflix and Youtube. I regret buying it day one.

I was so looking forward to Rayman Legends.

SykoTech

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".

Hot damn.

Any idea what game with was? CoD? ACIII?

What's the problem? the wii sells : no third party. The wii U doesn't sell : no third party.

sarkozy.gif

Porcile

high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions"

Zombi U surely. Unless third parties are so delusional they consider their shitty ports high budget and expect to sell millions over launch?

GulAtiCa

Mario said that he can't comment on what the game is. But he did say that it's one of the highest rated Wii U titles.

The only game I can imagine this would be about is Call of Duty: Black Ops II. The rest of the high quality Wii U games were late ports with a few exceptions. I also doubt it's ZombiU as the OP said "tens of thousands" and we already know ZombiU has apparently sold > 100k.

Obvious choices:

ZombiU (exclusive, high profile Western third party release)
Call of Duty Black Ops II (Activision's recent comments support this)
Assassin's Creed 3 (I think this is far less likely than the other two)

If I bet on anything - it'd have to be ZombiU.

We already saw it somewhat. They released that "panic mode" Nintendo Direct to announce a bunch of stuff that's too far off in the future.

But Panic Mode this holiday season when PS4/720 is released and the first real wave of Nintendo games is released?

Fuck yeah, if Wii U hasn't picked up by then (it won't), I'm guessing Nintendo is going to do some crazy shit to combatant the new consoles.

DaBuddaDa

So the Wii U will end up being a Nintendo console for Nintendo games, like the Gamecube and Wii. I liked the Gamecube. I'm ok with this.

Wii U just needs it's Custom Sauce™ to shine, 3rd parties be dammned.

Top it all of with an exclusve Rayman Legends Demo, thanks to the good folks at Ubisoft (God Bless Them)

Hoping to sell multi-millions on a console that just launched? When has that ever been a reasonable expectation to have?
"Over time" according to Mario. I guess they were hoping for evergreen sales once the userbase built up a little.

Based on that, I'd guess Call of Duty.

I think they meant over time, not right at launch. But if it only sold 10s of thousands now, it likely won't reach that.

Yeah re-reading it I guess that's what they mean, but it's still a pretty lofty expectation for a new console. Especially if it's Black Ops 2 (I'm assuming it is) which gets a yearly renewal game anyways and has sales drop a lot once that new version is released.

Frolow

Banned
Can't wait for my future ambassador games!

Honestly though, if the current situation keeps up like this then Nintendo will absolutely have to cut the price in time for the holidays. Mario can't save the system solely.

farnham

Banned
Tahts the kind of not nintendo bonus you get. No matter how dou did last gen and how you do now

If nintendo - doomed
If not nintendo - will be succesful in time

I believe ouya will probably get more support than wiiu

Nintendo turned the 3DS around when it was all doom and gloom, they can do it for Wii U as well.

Though that certainly applies in Japan, but the 3DS still isn't exploding in NA is it?

We need support on that end too, did DS ever TRULY take off at least in it's first year or so in NA?

Pokemon will do the trick, but any 3rd-party success stories in NA on DS?

How did the DS COD games do?

Top Bottom