• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wel I know about that but it doesn't make sense because that was a physical to digital program.
I guess it's the same, in a way.

The Wii was a big disconnected storage system, just like a UMD. You'll have to pay a small fee to convert to an account network (well, Nintendo is still a little behind on that front).

Because the others have such an excellent record with backwards compatibility.

We'll see how PSN for PS4 handles old downloads.

Would I prefer it for free? Hell yea!

Did I expect it? Nope. Not even a discount.

What? I have my old PSP and PS0 games on my vita... For free.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't really see a problem with how they've done Wii to Wii U upgrades. There was always going to be a cost to get the Wii U version and I think $1.50 is acceptable. As long as they don't go above $2 for N64 and more recent titles I think that's fine.

Adam Blue

The fact that the current Wii Virtual Console library is not available on the Wii U is just a slap in the face of customers. But I get it, Nintendo has been behind. I just don't see myself removing my Wii from my ent. center soon.

Japan

ibiExquu7npQtb.png

iTVAXwbb5dbTU.png

ihv0UfwKkxpf2.png

ibmmAG17XatM2N.png

imkeSI9YoypqX.png

ibxzoWeIkwyxhO.png

Galang

Banned
So essentially you can transfer over your games, but to get new features like off tv-play you have to pay a fee? The price isn't as bad as I expected from them and it's not like you have to upgrade. If you have a lot of VC games I can see the complaints, but I only have about 20 VC games.. and I'll only want off tv play for a few of them. I'll probably upgrade as many as available for that price anyway.

Glass Joe

Okay. So you do at least have the option to play your original DL games?

All Wii VC stuff already works in Wii U through compatibility mode, so yes.

This is kind of like when a music CD is re-released with bonus tracks. Except today you can just pop on iTunes and pick up the extra stuff instead of rebuying the whole CD. Again, I consider it acceptable, since everything still works in Wii mode.

But Balloon Trip for 30 cents, 30 days, whatever. Does that work like a trial where you have to buy it after the 30 days, or is it like an ambassador program where Nintendo's basically giving steep discounts for early adopters for specific titles?

R-User!

No you don't HAVE to do anything.

But if you want to add some awesome new features to your games it will cost you mere pennies.

It's a choice, and a very fair one.

Wouldnt "mere pennies" imply that it would cost no more than 4 cents to upgrade?

Since when has one dollar and fifty cents become mere pennies?

mackattk

So essentially you can transfer over your games, but to get new features like off tv-play you have to pay a fee? The price isn't as bad as I expected from them and it's not like you have to upgrade. If you have a lot of VC games I can see the complaints, but I only have about 20 VC games.. and I'll only want off tv play for a few of them. I'll probably upgrade as many as available for that price anyway.

You can transfer your games over, but need to go into a different mode to actually play them. Its petty of Nintendo to charge the customers who have supported them in the past to use these new features.

this is a glimpse of the future. who thinks their XBLA or PSN games will transfer over for free?

Judging by Sony's past.. I fully expect the PSN games will transfer over for free. I would expect Microsoft's too.

Davey Cakes

I feel like the discount system is entirely fair. If you want the update, you pay a tiny bit. It's completely optional if you already have the game.

I'm not going to excuse Nintendo with everything, but the company could have easily made everyone pay full price again. They didn't. Just be happy that you will have the option to get a Gamepad+Miiverse capable version of Virtual Console games at a discount for those you already own.

Some people are going to want it to be free, but whatever. Nintendo is a business and it's not as easy as just taking a ROM from the Shop Channel, making it stream to the Gamepad, and selling it.

EDIT: Wait, Japan gets Mother 2? FUCK YOU NINTENDO!

That would be comparable to NES/SNES/N64 > WII VC, it's a complete change of medium.

Now it's a ROM dump on a console with essentially has the same architecture.

I don't understand the "oh they have to add the transfer to make it work for the pad" argument. Do they really have to code that stuff? I mean it's just a recipient of a stream from the console, so this must be entirely possible to do it hardware wise and not on a per-title basis.

Yes, they do since the emulator has to make specific output calls. Each emulator for each game is different.

Can someone explain the $.30 pricing to me? If we buy those select games at 30 cents when they're available, do we get to keep them, or do we have to buy them at full price once the 30 day limit is over?

bndadm

This is going to be an interesting thread. Curious to see how many are upset they have to pay a small fee to get the updated version. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I don't see how it's different then releasing HD games and charging for them. Just because you owned the original doesn't mean you get the new game with updated features for free. With this you can either play your original VC game in Wii Mode, or you can pay a small(seriously small, IMO) fee for the updated features to use the GamePad, and access it in Wii U mode, Miiverse Integration, etc.....

I agree - I was upset at first until people started pointing out my original Virtual Console games are still free if I transfer over to a Wii U (once I get one). I see no issue.

I'm not going to excuse Nintendo with everything, but the company could have easily made everyone pay full price again. They didn't. Just be happy that you will have the option to get a Gamepad+Miiverse capable version of Virtual Console games at a discount for those you already own.

"Look at it this way; they didn't completely fuck us! So it's not that bad."

Some people are going to want it to be free, but whatever. Nintendo is a business and it's not as easy as just taking a ROM from the Shop Channel, making it stream to the Gamepad, and selling it.

How's it not that easy? Doesn't the WiiU stream the games? What would they have to change in the program?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm not even annoyed by the fee, but the fact that I won't be able to transfer most of my purchases until the equivalent U version is available is a real drag. God knows if some of 'em will even be made available again.

jjasper

I will pay the price to update it just means I will be selective in which games I transfer over. Kind of disappointed it is just NES/SNES/GBA at this point though.

mackattk

Not a chance. I'm a die-hard Nintendo player, and with this news I'm never buying a VC game again.

I would happily buy VC games if that meant I could freely play them on my 3DS and Wii U without having to pay for the two - three times each game. I am VERY hesitant on investing in Nintendo DD for the Wii U, because I am not sure if the next system will be able to play those games or not.

In contrast, I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of Sony DD because I know I can pay for them once, and be able to play them on any console that supports the game.

None of those things make them any less ROMs than the Wii versions. Taking screenshots or outputting to a different screen are no big thing, nor setting up a Miiverse community based on the Wii U executable.

"No big thing" seems easy enough to say as a user, but it's not really that way as a developer. There's just too much time spent crafting a custom emulation profile, testing, etc. What seems like a "ship it tomorrow" is unfortunately a multi-month process. The Wii versions required time as well, you're right on that - but given they only supported the manual and save state features this is going to require a bit more development time.

That being said, I completely agree that the charge is hard to swallow - if anything this is really just a "rights transfer" fee or somesuch - but it is definitely not the same thing as Sony's PS1-PSN Classics program.

Top Bottom