• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And I'd counter that the problem is there is entirely too much class-restricted gear from a glamour perspective in FFXIV at the moment. It's asinine that I can't use an Orthodox Hairpin in my glamour if I want to play anything other than a tank or a dragoon. It's silly that a game that so enthusiastically embraces the player's right to raid in a bikini or their underwear, I can't use Amon's Hat on a healer.

They really need to copy FFXI's glam system, or at least parts of it.

In FFXI you equip a set of gear and "lockstyle" it. You may equip any piece of gear, on any job, provided you can equip that gear on one of your jobs (to use your gear piece as an example, you would need a job leveled high enough to equip that Orthodox Hairpin before you could use it as a glamour option).

I know FFXIV wouldn't copy that the FFXI glamour system is 100% free (no items, just go into the lockstyle menu and equip whatever you wish), but I think they could at least copy the cross job equipment options.

Pachimari

When am I supposed to be able to redeem the code for my Wind-up Red Mage Minion and Ala Mhigan Earrings for having pre-ordered Stormblood?

SAM in XI was great though, I don't expect anything similar but all the same I want it in.

It was so great that God help you if you leveled another job aside from RDM and BRD, you were barred from merit parties, and most of endgame for a span of a few years. Fresh 75s were expected to have either a Soboro or Hagun right at 75 (when gil was rough to earn unless you were in an established LS that don't screw you over, and the Soboro was in a level capped area that very few people dared to venture). It was such a clutch job for the average joe and SE kept giving it new toys. Yeah it's a great job, but man I had some sad luck gearing that job when I couldn't get help to get those much needed items. XI community was more "eff you got mine" when you're the odd man out.

When Abyssea came out, oh the salty salty tears hahahah! (ehem)

Should I get my crafting and gathering classes to 60 before I start leveling a second disciple of war class? I'm wondering how I'll find equipment quickly for the DoW classes after I level them through the Palace of the Dead dungeon.

Crafting and gathering isn't necessary at all.

I have multiple level 60 combat jobs and a level 9 armorer.

Jayhawk

It was so great that God help you if you leveled another job aside from RDM and BRD, you were barred from merit parties, and most of endgame for a span of a few years. Fresh 75s were expected to have either a Soboro or Hagun right at 75 (when gil was rough to earn unless you were in an established LS that don't screw you over, and the Soboro was in a level capped area that very few people dared to venture). It was such a clutch job for the average joe and SE kept giving it new toys. Yeah it's a great job, but man I had some sad luck gearing that job when I couldn't get help to get those much needed items. XI community was more "eff you got mine" when you're the odd man out.

Such a gross misrepresentation of the XI community. Repeating Dynamis, Limbus, and HNM camping for several hours when you were not expecting to get anything for yourself is not "eff you got mine." People would spend days, if not weeks, to help others get their loot.

Any fresh 75 could get gil easily through the beastmen and kindred seals they collected. Level 40 characters could get rich camping Leaping Lizzy and Valkurm Emperor no problem. Hagun could be obtained regularly with the help of a few friends.

FFXI was all about putting in the time with others, and others would invest their time on you.

Such a gross misrepresentation of the XI community. Repeating Dynamis, Limbus, and HNM camping for several hours when you were not expecting to get anything for yourself is not "eff you got mine." People would spend days, if not weeks, to help others get their loot.

Any fresh 75 could get gil easily through the beastmen and kindred seals they collected. Level 40 characters could get rich camping Leaping Lizzy and Valkurm Emperor no problem. Hagun could be obtained regularly with the help of a few friends.

FFXI was all about putting in the time with others, and others would invest their time on you.

Were you not on a server with botters? I remember those spawns were camped by gold farmers and botters, which made it so hard to get anything.

Jayhawk

Were you not on a server with botters? I remember those spawns were camped by gold farmers and botters, which made it so hard to get anything.

Botters could be beat and they weren't as prevalent early in the game. Camping was how RNG and NIN were my first 75s even though they were the most expensive, since both just toss gil away to do things.

Heartfyre

Should I get my crafting and gathering classes to 60 before I start leveling a second disciple of war class? I'm wondering how I'll find equipment quickly for the DoW classes after I level them through the Palace of the Dead dungeon.

Focusing on crafting and gathering like that isn't ideal: you should really level them as you're casually playing. It's not an exciting process if it's all you're doing. Best tips for levelling:

When gathering, submit HQ items daily with your Grand Company. Otherwise, leve-grind.
When crafting, do the Ixal beast tribe quests daily. Otherwise, leve-grind. Post-level 50, do Moogle beast tribe quests.

It's not a fast process to do this with every class. I only finished it after six months. Looking forward to getting it all to 70 with Stormblood.

aceface

Focusing on crafting and gathering like that isn't ideal: you should really level them as you're casually playing. It's not an exciting process if it's all you're doing. Best tips for levelling:

When gathering, submit HQ items daily with your Grand Company. Otherwise, leve-grind.
When crafting, do the Ixal beast tribe quests daily. Otherwise, leve-grind. Post-level 50, do Moogle beast tribe quests.

It's not a fast process to do this with every class. I only finished it after six months. Looking forward to getting it all to 70 with Stormblood.

Since they nerfed Ixal exp I didn't really find it to be worth the headache to do them. When I levelled a few crafters to 50 last year I found just spamming the most exp efficient leves was the best way to go. There's guides online for each craft that tell you which items to do. I did each class a bit at a time so I never ran out of leve allowances.

Jolkien

I'm missing two dungeons to unlock the level 60 roulette. Last dungeon I unlocked was Xelphatol and Great Gubal Library, any pointer as to where I can fin the remaining two ?

studyguy

Got my relic last night finally.
The nightmare is over.

1 tank 1 heal parties in PF for A1S can go to hell.
The DPS req aren't that high. Getting it done in any reasonable amount of time as a tank is like trying to get into Dun Scaith as a tank even when you make your own parties.

Crafting and gathering isn't necessary at all.

I have multiple level 60 combat jobs and a level 9 armorer.

I see. Thanks.

So let's say I start leveling up Monk after I'm done with the 3.x story. How am I going to regularly get equipment for the job? I'm going to level pretty quickly, I presume. But for my main Dragoon class, I mainly got my equipment from doing story quests. And now, I have to grind dungeons so I can get the ilvl 250 equipment from those vendors at Idylshire. Am I also going to have to grind tomes to equip my monk? Because if that's the case, then Christ, that's going to be a much bigger time investment than what I am willing to invest. Not only am I busy with work, but I have other games I want to play.

How many hours would it take to get a Monk to level 60, provided I already have a Dragoon at that level?

Job-locked gear is a garbage idea in a game that technically prides itself on letting you play everything on one character. What's even the point of that. It's the same stats every tank wants, but I can't wear that piece because it's "for warrior"? What benefit comes from this? Glamor? Ugh.

Only WAR are allowed to have helmets with horns. Deal with it, you'll never be the Dragonborn unless you level WAR.

Village

Job-locked gear is a garbage idea in a game that technically prides itself on letting you play everything on one character. What's even the point of that. It's the same stats every tank wants, but I can't wear that piece because it's "for warrior"? What benefit comes from this? Glamor? Ugh.

I would like glamour to work through classes.

So I can look like a ninja, but be a DRK so I can be one of those giant sword ninjas.

Jolkien

Is the best way to farm Scriptures just to spam the two dungeons that gives 100 lore/30 scripture ? I need to get from ilvl 216 to 230 so I can continue the MSQ.

Robin64

Is the best way to farm Scriptures just to spam the two dungeons that gives 100 lore/30 scripture ? I need to get from ilvl 216 to 230 so I can continue the MSQ.

What's your weapon? Consider getting a 235 from Palace of the Dead if you have lower.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I suggest just spamming frontlines for Wolf Marks and then buying the garo gear, which catapaults you to 235 and unlocks most of the non-savage/non-ex content.

Frontlines also gives a good amount of scripture.

dramatis

Have any of you dealt with changing the email on your Square account? I realized I had a second account that has my primary email address, while the only I used for the FFXIV trial last year was using my college email. I'd like to use my main email on the account with FFXIV since I'm thinking about starting the game, but I tried going through the email changing process 2 days ago and have yet to receive an email.
Try the SE chat support.

Bebpo

Banned

Yeah I've been doing my GC dailies and crafting every piece of crafting/gathering gear on my lists (since I can use it with everyone being around the same level) to omnicraft/gather across the board and after about a month I've just gotten all of them to around lvl.30 (some are a few levels higher than others, a couple like CUL are trailing a few levels). Hoping if I do my turn-ins every.single.day for 2017 I'll have all my sub-classes at 60 by the time SB comes out.

Haly

It's a trenchcoat, I thought NIN players would be drooling over it.

wBlKSbg.jpg
I love trench coats!

What I really want though, is this:

kagamin

I see. Thanks.

So let's say I start leveling up Monk after I'm done with the 3.x story. How am I going to regularly get equipment for the job? I'm going to level pretty quickly, I presume. But for my main Dragoon class, I mainly got my equipment from doing story quests. And now, I have to grind dungeons so I can get the ilvl 250 equipment from those vendors at Idylshire. Am I also going to have to grind tomes to equip my monk? Because if that's the case, then Christ, that's going to be a much bigger time investment than what I am willing to invest. Not only am I busy with work, but I have other games I want to play.

How many hours would it take to get a Monk to level 60, provided I already have a Dragoon at that level?

I can't say exactly, but I'd been working on leveling Arcanist/Scholar as I went through post-heavensward content, I caught up to the main content so now I'm slowly accumulating 245 ilvl gear by doing Expert roulette and I did Main Scenario roulette daily to get Poetics so I could just use those to buy Ironworks gear and stick with that until I got to 60. For myself at least I've been working on Scholar for around 2 weeks and I have it 54 finally.

Bebpo

Banned
Am I missing something or does the endgame for Adventurer Squadron fucking suck? You can only do one of the lvl.40 quests per week, your max level for each character is lvl.50 and on top of that the rewards are kinda shit from the lvl.40 quests (like the 5 survival manuals for gathering/crafting aren't even the +50% ones you can buy from the GC, they're the +20% ones come the fuck on). Only good thing I guess is that the team chemistry means they do stuff like bring back 9 pieces of decent level materia if I send them on a mission, but I keep getting materia I don't really need and they're not even selling when I put them on the market board. Feels like this whole grind of AS has been a total waste :|

Heartfyre

I see. Thanks.

If you've got the crafting classes, you can make the gear you need, or you can just buy them from the market board. You can do the same with ilvl 250 gear, since those recipes were added in 3.4. Not cheap, but it's an alternative.

If you do a levelling roulette every day, it can take a couple of months to level a new job, even though you get an EXP boost for every job past your first. 50-60 is pretty slow unless you do beast tribe quests and hunts alongside.

creid

Am I missing something or does the endgame for Adventurer Squadron fucking suck? You can only do one of the lvl.40 quests per week, your max level for each character is lvl.50 and on top of that the rewards are kinda shit from the lvl.40 quests (like the 5 survival manuals for gathering/crafting aren't even the +50% ones you can buy from the GC, they're the +20% ones come the fuck on). Only good thing I guess is that the team chemistry means they do stuff like bring back 9 pieces of decent level materia if I send them on a mission, but I keep getting materia I don't really need and they're not even selling when I put them on the market board. Feels like this whole grind of AS has been a total waste :|
Yeah, I found this pretty disappointing in the end. I guess it's neat that you eventually get a GC rank out of it? I'm hoping they build on this to eventually give you something worthwhile.

Vic_Viper

Just hit lvl 54 on my NIN doing the first few HW MSQs. Think I'm going to focus on just finishing HW with my NIN so I'm ready to go for Stormblood (hopefully in time lol).

Any tips for what I should be doing aside from the obvious( MSQs, Daily Duty Roulettes, and Job Quests)? Are there any side quests I should be picking up aside from Hildibrand that are necessary for dungeons or trials?

Also is the lvl 60 NIN Iga set obtained from the Job Quests or MSQs like the lvl 50 set was? If not does anyone know what I do to pick it up?

Haly

Iga set can be bought with Centurio seals, which is awarded by the HW hunts, so keep an eye out for callouts.

I grinded POTD and queued dungeons while leveling from 54-60. Didn't really do side quests at all.

scy

Get scrips out of your squadron to sell the mats and/or craft the things to sell instead; I've just been getting the +Food duration reward since everything else is terrible but that's more on the FC buffs being pretty meh.

As far as using them for raiding conveniences and some crafting/gathering convenience on the side, squadrons have probably been the best thing they've done QoL wise since 3 food/pots per craft on everything.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I found this pretty disappointing in the end. I guess it's neat that you eventually get a GC rank out of it? I'm hoping they build on this to eventually give you something worthwhile.

Yeah, the one hope I have is that they keep adding to it and at some point it becomes really good for something. Then at least I'm at this point now and don't have to grind up to it later on.

Get scrips out of your squadron to sell the mats and/or craft the things to sell instead; I've just been getting the +Food duration reward since everything else is terrible but that's more on the FC buffs being pretty meh.

As far as using them for raiding conveniences and some crafting/gathering convenience on the side, squadrons have probably been the best thing they've done QoL wise since 3 food/pots per craft on everything.

Outside of the bolded part which I get, I don't understand anything else you just wrote assuming you're talking about the adventurer squadron (crafting?). But then again I'm only just starting HW.

iammeiam

Squadrons are surprisingly solid provided you do them right. The limited weekly mission returns essentially on-demand rank 3 FC buffs. If you raid or craft, that's 10 hours of 45 minute food instead of 30 if you're in an FC that doesn't constantly run food buff or in a small FC that doesn't run buffs 24/7 in general. Add in the 3.5 change that lets food stack instead of clip, and it's pretty decent savings on food. if you don't use food, they're just personalized versions of rank 3 FC buffs. Need combat EXP buff and your FC can't or won't run it? Etc.

I've also specc'd six or seven of my guys into crafter scrip chemistries, which means I cap crafters scrips multiple times a week without having to do anything. Good for picking up master books you're missing, blue scrip mats, crystal sand for the umbrite step, whatever. The Gil, material, and cluster procs have been pretty underwhelming, but the scrip stuff has been ok.

They're not exactly content or amazing but they're pretty useful in my experience given the relatively low level of effort involved.

Bebpo

Banned
Squadrons are surprisingly solid provided you do them right. The limited weekly mission returns essentially on-demand rank 3 FC buffs. If you raid or craft, that's 10 hours of 45 minute food instead of 30 if you're in an FC that doesn't constantly run food buff or in a small FC that doesn't run buffs 24/7 in general. Add in the 3.5 change that lets food stack instead of clip, and it's pretty decent savings on food. if you don't use food, they're just personalized versions of rank 3 FC buffs. Need combat EXP buff and your FC can't or won't run it? Etc.

Yeah at this point pre-HW I mainly just use food when crafting and an extra 15 mins doesn't seem like a big deal, but you're right it is helpful and I'll probably do the food mission weekly until I need something else. My FC keeps XP/Teleport buff on 24/7 so don't really need XP buff.

I've also specc'd six or seven of my guys into crafter scrip chemistries, which means I cap crafters scrips multiple times a week without having to do anything. Good for picking up master books you're missing, blue scrip mats, crystal sand for the umbrite step, whatever.

Ok, this sounds good when I get to that point. My highest crafter is only lvl.38 right now so I haven't gotten to scrips. I should probably look into how to get specific chemistries for squad members.

aceface

I think it was Drama who pointed out to me that you can get a battle exp boost item from squadrons and that it might not be a bad idea to bank those for the expansion. I gave them up after I got the garish yellow coat and eraser hat cause I'm lazy.

studyguy

Ah. Gear walls of XI. Where all the fun you expect to have in a job is immediately smashed by a single check of your character when you don't have the gear needed once you hit certain levels. It was made even better during certain years, I recall needing a scorp harness during that one Christmas where prices rose astronomically due to gil inflation and I just up and stopped playing for few months out of frustration.

Jayhawk

RIP hostel roommate setting alarm to 3am to shower and get ready for fan fest. I can smell the cologne. I blame Ryder and this other German roommate who wants to toss something on stage if SAM is a tank. I guess I'll line up for fan fest registration in 4.5 hours.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, the 3rd class.

I see Dancer, I see Blue Mage, I see other stuff speculated. This probably has been as well but not as much. However, there are two major pieces of content that deal with a potential class and how it would work.

Time Mage.

Both Alexander and Hildebrand have instances of time manipulation. So, this exists in the lore. So not have Time Mage be the new healer? Rewind time to heal wounds? Speed up time for Haste? Etc.

I think the possibly of that would be pretty damn cool. \o/

Qvoth

Yeah when I did the Hildebrand stuff and saw what vivi did I thought of time mage as well
Anybody here bought the fanfest stream or physically going? Pls take photos and shit :p

ebil

So, the 3rd class.

I see Dancer, I see Blue Mage, I see other stuff speculated. This probably has been as well but not as much. However, there are two major pieces of content that deal with a potential class and how it would work.

Time Mage.

Both Alexander and Hildebrand have instances of time manipulation. So, this exists in the lore. So not have Time Mage be the new healer? Rewind time to heal wounds? Speed up time for Haste? Etc.

I think the possibly of that would be pretty damn cool. o/
Astrologian already is FF14's Time Mage. The level 60 quest is about them eventually being able to manipulate time itself. Celestial Opposition is an AOE Stun that is supposed to be a short time stop, and so is Astral Stasis. Gravity also is a spell often associated with time magic, and they even get Time Dilation as a skill. If we ever get meaningful CC in this game I fully expect AST to get Stop.

Omnicent

Ah. Gear walls of XI. Where all the fun you expect to have in a job is immediately smashed by a single check of your character when you don't have the gear needed once you hit certain levels. It was made even better during certain years, I recall needing a scorp harness during that one Christmas where prices rose astronomically due to gil inflation and I just up and stopped playing for few months out of frustration.

Playing MNK was rough.
I spent hours getting O.Kote, Snippers, fuma kyahan, etc for 34-41 level range.
I remeber O.kote cause some japanese mnk had pity on me and let me get o.kote from mee deggi.
I fished so much moat carp in Rabao I hate fishing in any game till this very day.

Was worth it though. Making people go "WTF" from 500+ Raging Fists felt real damn good back at level 43.

I also remember the great 2008 inflation. I remembe cause I fished, farmed, and crafted my way to a Haub. Fucking 12m, fuck rmt...
Now that this is out of my system, time to take a quick nap before the fan fest stream. SAM tank here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom