• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil (Darksiders) hiring first person shooter developers

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh joy, we've been short on these lately.

Vigil said:
Job Description:
Vigil Games is looking for an experienced Sr. Gameplay Programmer to help design, implement, and refine the overall gameplay experience for our next title! The Senior Gameplay Programmer will work closely with other Art and Design leads to insure that all gameplay functionality is carried through to completion and provides an incredible player experience.

Skills & Qualifications
Has previously held a senior programming position on at least one shipped AAA console or PC title (preferably an FPS)
An avid FPS gamer with strong interest in pushing the genre forward creatively

Pluses
Prior experience working on an FPS title
Deep knowledge (professionally or as a gamer) of FPS mechanics and gameplay
Source: http://vigilgames.com/jobs/senior-gameplay-programmer_1

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Must be an open-world shooter with a cyborg super humanoid superpower, set in a very dark story, with blood and tall skyscrapers.

Like Sin City, but way more populated, and you get to parachute out of a plane and ambush enemies on rooftops.

ironcreed

Banned
To hell with that noise. Well, unless they are planning to do something with some unique mechanics and not some modern warfare tripe. Guess we shall see.

Khezu

Of5Fw.jpg
Maybe its just darksiders 3 starring the 3rd brother?

yeah, this is just awful news. i enjoyed darksiders so much because it reminded me of how games used to be (i'm in my early 30's) without feeling outdated or clumsy. the idea of these guys making a fps just saddens me.

I like how devs and publishers think if they make a FPS it will sell gangbusters when in reality a majority of them fail. Hell even Resistance 3 failed and it was highly reviewed. It's a COD market, and maybe still a Halo one depending on how 4 does.

Oh so I guess this is what Rubin meant when he said Vigil could be doing better work....Well it's not like THQ will be around much longer anyway. How's there stock? Shouldn't they have been delisted by now?

Maybe its a hybrid where you platform and explore in third person, but fight in first.

Anyway, i just hope Vigil and THQ are around next year.

Tarrasque

Banned
I think everyone's forgetting that they're trying to mesh the now defunct Warhammer 40k mmo into a single player experience right now. I'm guessing they need to figure out how to make space marine combat (Heavily centered around bolters and blasters) somewhat fun.

Gunsmithx

I'm hoping this is either 40k related or DS3 related, I would be saddened if they dropped the darksiders franchise. Though vigil has 2 teams atm or a team and a half?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh so Strife is the main character for part 3? Darn I was hoping it was fury.

I'm hoping this is either 40k related or DS3 related, I would be saddened if they dropped the darksiders franchise. Though vigil has 2 teams atm or a team and a half?
Not going to happen unless Darksiders 2 goes Omega bomba

Also their requirements sound like stuff for their Darksiders team

It would actually be cool to see them apply a totally different gameplay style to a character whom it would fit. (If it's a Darksiders (3) game)

It would be neat if more IPs were brave enough to break out of a genre for some of their titles in a meaningful way that connected to the story.

Ugh. If this is in addition to Darksiders III, sure, great. I'd like to see what Vigil does with an FPS if it's interesting...but...yeah, I love Darksiders so ugh if that franchise is shelved in favor of more FPSes. Blah.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ugh. If this is in addition to Darksiders III, sure, great. I'd like to see what Vigil does with an FPS if it's interesting...but...yeah, I love Darksiders so ugh if that franchise is shelved in favor of more FPSes. Blah.

Well Darksiders is pretty much their poster child series at this point. It will probably always have something on the back burner as long as the series is profitable. Wait to see how 2 does before worrying about them putting priority on other stuff first :p

Sentenza

Makes sense but totally overhauling the POV? I can only assume they'll turn that into some sort Space Marine rip-off.
Well, they could even do that, but it's not a given. You guys are assuming a lot of things.
FPS experience can be a lot helpful even working on a third person shooter, for instance.

Well Darksiders is pretty much their poster child series at this point. It will probably always have something on the back burner as long as the series is profitable. Wait to see how 2 does before worrying about them putting priority on other stuff first :p

Yeah, I know, it's just worrisome when you compare it with the new THQ's head being quoted as saying he has ideas for better things that Vigil can work on or something like that, don't remember the exact quote.

Oh no, a company is making a game I don't have to buy. Better cry about it on the internet!

It's not so much what they're making, it's that I (as well as others) like what they're currently making (3rd-person action/adventure games) and would like to see them continue in that vein instead of switching genres and entering the already overcrowded FPS market. If they can do both, power to them.

Sentenza

Oh no, a company is making a game I don't have to buy. Better cry about it on the internet!
That wouldn't be a problem.
What they are *not* making while working on this, on the other hand, it may be.

Zelda-like games aren't exactly popping like mushrooms these days, so yeah, to lose one of the very few developers working on the genre could be annoying.

A first person Darksiders could be great. The idea of Darksiders' puzzles and platforming being translated to first person is giving me serious Metroid Prime vibes.

Top Bottom