JayDub
(03-12-2008, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by DKnight

I bet the people shitting on the dual shock
a) Are holding it wrong or
b) Use it on very few occasions or
c) Have deformed hands
or a mix of the above.

Or they might just hate the way that Sony designed the controller ever since DS1...I believe that the only universally hated thing is the triggers. Those who like it got used to it, but that doesnt make it good.

I've always hated that the analog sticks were next to each other, it only really worked for Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal. The 360 controller, at least for me, fits perfectly in people's hands.
MercuryLS
(03-12-2008, 11:39 PM)
For fast action games like DMC and NG I prefer the DS3, same for platformers and games that are heavy on the D-Pad. For everything else I prefer the X360 pad, it`s why I buy most of my games for that platform.
the_zombie_luke
(03-12-2008, 11:41 PM)
Anyone know of a good adapter that lets you use Playstation controllers on the 360? I love the 360 pad but I really want to use the first Playstation controller because I love it for 2D games and it probably has my favorite D-pad ever.
Cataferal
Digital Foundry
(03-12-2008, 11:42 PM)
I'm just lucky to have average size hands: I can alternate between the two without thinking anything of it.

For those who do have problems... how about a 360-PS3 (and vice versa) controller adapter? Do these exist yet for the cabled versions?
Bildi
(03-12-2008, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Shins

Are you hands actually wrapped around the handles similar to how you hold a 360 controller? A friend of mine used to play like that, and complained about how it was uncomfortable to play for extended periods given the angled handles and fairly constant need to stretch the fingers up to the shoulder buttons.

I've always let the controller rest very loosely in my hands, applying a bit of pressure on each side with my palms, having my index and middle fingers resting on the top and bottom shoulder buttons respectively. In that position, I find my thumbs naturally falling toward the middle of the controller, where the analog sticks are, and within good distance from both the D-Pad and face buttons.

Oh yeah, if I have four fingers on top it's fine. But I don't really like playing like that (unless it's SSX or similar) because the controller isn't very stable since I don't squeeze them hard. It just doesn't suit my hands - normally I never say anything because there's no point, but since this thread is specifically about controllers, I thought I'd have a vent :lol
MWS Natural
Blacks Anonymous™
(03-12-2008, 11:46 PM)
Large manly hands = 360 controller
Small womanish (or Japanese) hands = DS3

It's just that simple.
Cataferal
Digital Foundry
(03-12-2008, 11:50 PM)
^Pretty much.

If your middle-ground, you shouldnt have any problem with either.

Save for that 360 D-Pad...
Kafel
Banned
(03-12-2008, 11:50 PM)
Why is this thread still open ?
Treo360
(03-12-2008, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by MWS Natural

It's just that simple.

SexConker
Banned
(03-12-2008, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by NOT SRG01

It's a bloody penis. As long as it fits in my orifice, I don't really care which one is bigger.

I had to.
Dina
(03-12-2008, 11:58 PM)

It's just that simple.

This.

The 360 controller's dpad is the only flaw.
SexConker
Banned

Originally Posted by JayDub

The 360 controller, at least for me, fits perfectly in people's hands.

So you've got severed hands from OTHER people you fit the 360 controller into?
Or have your dog and cat complained that they can't play fight night properly with the 360 controller?
brain_stew
Hello friend! Have you heard the good news about Jesus PC gaming?
I honesty prefer the 360's face buttons as well, no mushy analog buttons that were always a bad idea to start with.

Since, the majority of quality games this gen. use both the sticks and triggers then the 360 easily wins, they're two areas that are still lacking on the sixaxis.
ith3r
Banned
(03-12-2008, 11:59 PM)
For general usage the 360 controller is far ahead of the dual shitock, it's the best pad ever for racers, sport games, FPSs, 3d action games and such.

For a few specifics though, the DS is the better choice (DMC4, PES come to mind), mainly because the 360 dpad is so unbelievably shitty, it makes tubgirl look like a wholesome, clean lady you'd take for dinner with your parents.

Seriously, I was trying the Bloody Palace with Dante a few days ago, trying that nifty "real time style change" gimmick, but dear god, it would change for pretty much any style but the one I wanted...

Oh, here comes that annoying plant dinosaur bitch, I better change to Trickster and get out of the way!

GUNSLINGER! *activates missile pod, gets hit*

And don't start with that "screwdriver mod" crap, because I sanded the borders so much they're almost paper thin by now, and it's super ineffective!
Himuro
Banned
(03-13-2008, 12:04 AM)

Originally Posted by tha_con

So is there seriously no one on GAF like me, who has zero trouble playing games with any controller that falls into my hands?

Am I some kind of freak or something?

I have no problem playing the games on the ps3. That doesn't mean the controller appeals to me though.
Last edited by Himuro; 03-13-2008 at 12:11 AM.
SexConker
Banned
(03-13-2008, 12:06 AM)
Edit: ^ - DOuble negative wants to be triple (or single) negative.

I've always hated the DS.

It's an SNES pad with 2 more triggers, and some shitty sticks, in a shitty position.

I don't like the curves on the underside of the 360 pad, but it's miles beyond the DS3 and Classic Controller.

I still love me my wavebirds, bean buttons and all. They should have just gotten the triggers right, and thrown on a larger dpad.
Vast Inspiration
Banned
(03-13-2008, 12:16 AM)
I can understand those that are used to the Dual Shock or prefer it. But the people (and there are many of you guys) that find the 360 controller "bulky" or "heavy" really need to take a good look at yourselves. No no, honestly, get some exercise or work out or...something. Geez.
JayDub
(03-13-2008, 12:24 AM)

Originally Posted by SexConker

So you've got severed hands from OTHER people you fit the 360 controller into?
Or have your dog and cat complained that they can't play fight night properly with the 360 controller?

Haha, thats funny. When I posted that, I actually read the mistake, but I was too lazy to edit it. Just hopin that people would skip over it, but I guess you're too smart for that.
Regret Truth
(03-13-2008, 12:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Dr_Cogent

The only thing the PS3 controller has over the 360 controller is the D-pad. That's it.

Convex analog sticks for the mother fucking LOSE.

QTFMFT

Other than sports games, the sixaxis is garbage.
tha_con
Banned
(03-13-2008, 12:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Himuro

I have no problem playing the games on the ps3. That doesn't mean the controller appeals to me though.

Right. Maybe I should be more specific? I don't flip out, cry, complain, get hand cramps, stop playing, or compare controllers for the sake of superiority, one over the other.

Hopefully that clears it up.
Jokeropia
(03-13-2008, 12:52 AM)
PS3 controller loses by default due to the placement of the left analog vs. the d-pad.
Concept17
(03-13-2008, 12:52 AM)
Im one of the few who love the ps3 triggers. I love the way they sink in, and I never have problems with my fingers slipping off. I also prefer the sticks next to each other, rather then offset.

I really don't like the shoulder or trigger buttons on the 360 controller, and of course the dpad. The shape of the controller is great though.

Overall, I would gladly play every game on either console with a ps3 controller.
brain_stew
Hello friend! Have you heard the good news about Jesus PC gaming?
(03-13-2008, 12:53 AM)

Originally Posted by antiloop

Same. I have never thought about it before coming to GAF.

I just played.

But I want this. I don't get the hate at all:

You can buy a third party version on Ebay for pretty cheap, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Controller...ayphotohosting

(No that's not my auction).

Evlar
Banned
(03-13-2008, 12:56 AM)
I prefer DS3 over the 360 pad. It does everything better except the placement of the D-Pad for certain games.
knitoe
(03-13-2008, 01:06 AM)
Bought DS3 & DMC4 for PS3 due to supposedly much better load times. That didn't turn out to be true. And, still prefer X360 controller more and miss out on meaningful achievements. Too late now.

Everyone complains about the X360 D-pad sucking, but PS1 / PS2 / PS3 aren't that much better. A true test would be playing a game like Street Fighter. In that case, they both fail miserably.
Aladuf
Banned
(03-13-2008, 03:24 AM)

Originally Posted by knitoe

Bought DS3 & DMC4 for PS3 due to supposedly much better load times. That didn't turn out to be true. And, still prefer X360 controller more and miss out on meaningful achievements. Too late now.

Everyone complains about the X360 D-pad sucking, but PS1 / PS2 / PS3 aren't that much better. A true test would be playing a game like Street Fighter. In that case, they both fail miserably.

The 360 d-pad really is that bad though, when I'm playing Gears I want to push "up" on it to get grenades but when I do half the time I'll end up getting my pistol out which is set to "down"... the d-pad is a fucking mess.
duk
Banned
(03-13-2008, 03:29 AM)
only fault of the 360 pad is the D-pad like many have said. The triggers, analog sticks, analog stick placements are better than the PS3 pad. (I have both)
Surfheart
(03-13-2008, 04:00 AM)
The triggers on the PS3 controller are just retarded, I don't know what they were thinking there, I feel like my fingers are going to slip off all the time. Also, the shape of the pad is just uncomfortable for my hands - it has been since the PSX. The point at which the "handles" meet the rest of the pad just cuts into my fingers after a long session. Dpad and buttons are good though much superior to the 360 pad, but overall I find the 360 pad much more comfortable to hold.
2n2
(03-13-2008, 04:03 AM)
I like the 360 controller, but it's crap for anything that requires precise use of the D-Pad. Shame really.
Rolf NB
(03-13-2008, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by duk

only fault of the 360 pad is the D-pad like many have said. The triggers, analog sticks, analog stick placements are better than the PS3 pad. (I have both)

Did you notice it has bumpers and face buttons?
inner-G
(03-13-2008, 04:11 AM)
the 360 controller 'feels' big to me.

I prefer the analog sticks in the DS position, because i like my d-pad up top.

I use the 360 one to play PC games, but i far prefer the DS controllers. I'm a d-pad guy.

GT: d-pad
Fighters: d-pad
applicable rpg's: d-pad
menu's: d-pad

My friends think I'm nuts to play GT with the d-pad, but then I own them. :D
Green Shinobi
Banned
(03-13-2008, 04:13 AM)
I just have to say I disagree completely with the OP.

The 360 controller is better for everything but fighting games.
soldat7
(03-13-2008, 04:14 AM)
Pros and cons for both but I prefer the 360 controller overall.
GAZERK
(03-13-2008, 04:44 AM)
Overall, I prefer the DS3 compared to the 360 controller. I just like how it's not as bulky as the 360 controller, and i like the buttons better. IMO, it's just got better button organization...there are a couple of things that need work though: vibration (they fixed that, yay) and trigger buttons among other things.

Anyways, I agree with OP
miyamotofreak
Banned
(03-13-2008, 04:53 AM)
I prefer 360 Pad > Sixaxis. It's the best piece of hardware MS ever made:D.

I need to get a DS3 though.
Pneuzy
(03-13-2008, 04:55 AM)
The 360's controller is perfect and I don't understand how people can say otherwise. It has the weight, the right feel, perfect positioning of buttons and analog sticks as well.
Last edited by Pneuzy; 03-13-2008 at 05:40 AM.
keyrat
(03-13-2008, 05:25 AM)
For about 8 years people swore the DS was the most bad ass pad out there, and now the 360 pad comes along and everyone starts saying the DS sucks and whatnot. It must've been pretty damn awful having to play for so long with such a shitty pad.

Another thing I'll never understand is the weight issues. The 360 pad must be the heaviest pad ever. Suddenly the Sixaxis is too light. Too light? Wtf?! It weighs as much as an NES pad, SNES pad, a Genesis pad, the best Saturn pad, etc. Suddenly these pads are all too light or too small? Well that's bullshit because the SNES pad kicked ass and still kicks ass.
Cataferal
Digital Foundry
(03-13-2008, 05:31 AM)

Originally Posted by keyrat

For about 8 years people swore the DS was the most bad ass pad out there, and now the 360 pad comes along and everyone starts saying the DS sucks and whatnot. It must've been pretty damn awful having to play for so long with such a shitty pad.

It could just be that people wanted a change. As much as I love the controller, I do appreciate a bit of variety once in a while - and the 360 offers a great alternative. :)

Originally Posted by keyrat

Another thing I'll never understand is the weight issues. The 360 pad must be the heaviest pad ever. Suddenly the Sixaxis is too light. Too light? Wtf?! It weighs as much as an NES pad, SNES pad, a Genesis pad, the best Saturn pad, etc. Suddenly these pads are all too light or too small? Well that's bullshit because the SNES pad kicked ass and still kicks ass.

It's because the lack of weight represents what fans of the DS2 lost in the transition, and all the bullshit "oh, but rumble is a thing of the past" comments that surrounded it. I dont think I'd mind personally if they reduced the weight, had rumble support been maintained. All the better really.
Last edited by Cataferal; 03-13-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Swifty
(03-13-2008, 05:58 AM)
I swear I saw a picture of a Dual Shock gamepad from an E3 that was slated for the PS3 with the D-pad and the left analog stick placements switched into the more modern placement. If that was real, then I question why Sony didn't go with that more modern design.
vilmer_
(03-13-2008, 06:00 AM)
The 360 controller to me feels like a ripoff of the Dreamcast controller. I never really liked either, I've been used to the PS controllers for over a decade now and anything else since then seems awkward.
Concept17
(03-13-2008, 06:01 AM)

Originally Posted by antiloop

Same. I have never thought about it before coming to GAF.

I just played.

But I want this. I don't get the hate at all:

Me too. I want sony to release it. Not with any bundles, just stand alone. People think its much bigger than it really is, too.
inner-G
(03-13-2008, 06:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Swifty

I swear I saw a picture of a Dual Shock gamepad from an E3 that was slated for the PS3 with the D-pad and the left analog stick placements switched into the more modern placement. If that was real, then I question why Sony didn't go with that more modern design.

photoshop
rollingstart
(03-13-2008, 06:07 AM)
I like both the PS3 and 360 controllers. I have issues with both, like the 360 Dpad is garbage (even after shaving downthe sides it is shit) or the DS3 R2/L2 buttons (I hope those cap/covers solve the problem). I also like the position of analog sticks on the DS3 more than on the 360 pad. It is far more awkward for me to use the 360 (or gamecube, dreamcast, saturn 3d controller, etc...) dpad that than it is to use an analog stick in that position.

also, shame on Nintendo for making the best dpad since the Saturn and only using it on the Gameboy Micro.

and while we are comparing tons of stuff, I think the Xbox s controller is better than the 360 controller, I wish I could use that on my 360.
TEH-CJ
(03-13-2008, 06:11 AM)
Could anyone be kind enough to explain to me the differences between the sixaxis and DS3? (apart from rumble)

thanks
Livin_Lovin
(03-13-2008, 06:12 AM)
I honestly don't know why Sony thought it was a smart idea to change the triggers on the sixaxis. The DS2 was probably one of the best controllers I've ever held.
Cataferal
Digital Foundry
(03-13-2008, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by TEH-CJ

Could anyone be kind enough to explain to me the differences between the sixaxis and DS3? (apart from rumble)

thanks

Isnt it just the rumble? I'd also like to know if there's anything else...

Increased battery capacity?
GAZERK
(03-13-2008, 06:16 AM)

thanks

I think they fixed the drop-out issue with the DS3. That alone is worth a purchase.
supermackem
Banned
(03-13-2008, 06:20 AM)
There is no competion for me 360 pad pisses from a great height on the ds3. The sticks are so bad it makes playing games a nightmare. I finally got everyday shooter the other day and trying to shoot the twin sticks on that is beyound annoying they dont aim at all like the 360 sticks do makeing the game harder than it should be.
rollingstart
(03-13-2008, 06:20 AM)

thanks

No drop out, the triggers are slightly better in that they are more consistent in terms of pressing them down, and analog sticks are slightly better.

Originally Posted by Livin_Lovin

I honestly don't know why Sony thought it was a smart idea to change the triggers on the sixaxis. The DS2 was probably one of the best controllers I've ever held.

While I doubt this is the actual reason, I guess that devs are lazy and told sony that they want to use the exact same control layout from the 360 on the PS3.

I dont think it is a bad thing to have analog triggers, but the way sony went about it was all wrong.
Esperado
(03-13-2008, 06:22 AM)

It's just that simple.

I have large hands and I don't have a problem with either controller.