• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U exploit revealed

EmiPrime

From us indies perhaps? You have several members here who are indie devs that are supporting the Wii U fully. Heck, my first Wii U game will likely be launched next month. I know we are basically nobodys, esp me as I'm just about to release my 1st game ever. But we are literally going to be the only ones supporting it on a regular basis soon. And there is a lot of us currently making games for it (And I do mean a lot, I know of several behind the scene). Do you really want for us to go away?

I feel for you and I have bought several indie games on the Wii U but I value the potential of having a GC, Wii and Wii U all in one box outputting HDMI with region free USB loading more than anything else. Piracy is easy on PC yet indie releases do extremely well on there so I don't think a potential threat (that is some way off materialising) is a good reason to drop Wii U support.

III-V

half-life-3-its-not-happening.gif

just early stages sort of shit. Don't expect to hear anything substantial come of this for some time and that is if it's not fixed or rendered inconvenient to the point where nobody wants to fuck with it ala PS3 CFW

This is perfect

Mesoian

For all the people who "look forward to homebrew":
What do you expect exactly from homebrew?

Because things has changed since the Wii. Homebrew games and apps are now entierely doable with Nintendo's indie program (Unity + HTML5/javascript Nintendo Web Framework).
Outside some UI and region lock related things, it sounds like piracy hypocrysis.

Well, for example, the only way to make the Wii a dvd player was through homebrew.

And Project M was only possible through homebrew

So things like that.

Herne

Interesting stuff. I loved homebrew on the Wii, looking forward to seeing what people can do with the Wii U. Is the drive the same as the Wii's? As far as I know, and I may be very wrong in remembering, the Wii's drive did not use constant velocity which made it unsuitable for dvd discs. I don't know if the Wii U's one is different.

Something bad things happning to nintendo.

When exploit is complete, WiiU will sink deadly.

I think this is the worst post I have ever seen on NeoGAF.

Zeppeli

Banned
Interesting stuff. I loved homebrew on the Wii, looking forward to seeing what people can do with the Wii U. Is the drive the same as the Wii's? As far as I know, and I may be very wrong in remembering, the Wii's drive did not use constant velocity which made it unsuitable for dvd discs. I don't know if the Wii U's one is different.

I think this is the worst post I have ever seen on NeoGAF.

nah, nothing will ever beat the rapist nintendogs 2 post.

emko

Well, for example, the only way to make the Wii a dvd player was through homebrew.

And Project M was only possible through homebrew

So things like that.

it might be able to play the movie files but its going to be a bad bluray player with no menus and other features bluray discs have.

Remfin

No BluRay support means less licensing and a lot less other things...like HDCP. You don't have to jump through any hoops to record WiiU stuff, while you need what is essentially an illegal device (in the US) to do so on PS3/PS4

It hurt software sales rather than hardware sales, thus many key developers dropped supporting afterwards for risk of piracy.

Piracy isn't always a good thing.

It´s never a good thing. But during the PS1 era at least half the kids i knew got one because the games were "free". Some of them even bought some legit games or got them as a present. The DS was even worse.

emko

It´s never a good thing. But during the PS1 era at least half the kids i knew got one because the games were "free". Some of them even bought some legit games or got them as a present. The DS was even worse.

problem with PS1 was all you needed was just 1 legit game to run those bootleg games but i think back then piracy was not as bad as today where right now you can get almost anything of the web.

wsippel

Banned
If I understood the 30C3 presentation by fail0verflow correctly, it should be impossible for hacks working through Wii mode to enable piracy. So I guess the system is still safe - for now.

If I understood the 30C3 presentation by fail0verflow correctly, it should be impossible for hacks working through Wii mode to enable piracy. So I guess the system is still safe - for now.

I hope so. Piracy becoming a big problem would probably kill most of the indie support on the machine.

And it didn't help the Dreamcast (arguably it was the straw that broke the camel's back for software sales), which was in a more comparable situation sales wise.

Good point, but i still think the Dreamcast was killed by bad marketing and pure hype for the holy PS2 which could control rockets. But that´s a whole other topic.

baphomet

If I could back up my disc based games and boot them from an external HDD I'd consider picking up a used one for $125 or so.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The Wii U doesn't use Blu-ray in the same sense that the Wii does not use DVD. And a software-modified (older) Wii is quite capable of playing DVDs.

The wii uses dvds, that's how they store their data. Nintendo just didn't opt in for a license for dvd playback. The wii u uses their own proprietary format from Panasonic, I don't think it's blu ray, it's similar in spec though supposedly.

wsippel

Banned
WiiU totally needs piracy at the moment :/
This exploit won't enable piracy.

EDIT: To quote Marcan:

THIS EXPLOIT IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR PIRACY AND HOMEBREW ALIKE. YOU WILL NEVER USE IT ON YOUR WII U FOR ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE A DEVELOPER LIKE THE AUTHOR. THE EXPLOIT DOESN'T BREAK ANY SECURITY THAT WASN'T ALREADY BROKEN AND USELESS.

It serves precisely three purposes:

1. It paves the way for a different exploit which, while ALSO not breaking anything not broken, and ALSO being useless for homebrew/piracy, makes it slightly easier to analyze the rest of the system once you do break it using yet another completely unrelated exploit.
2. It's cute and cool. We're hackers, we like breaking things even if it's useless. We also like laughing at Nintendo because they clearly didn't intend for this to happen, even though it's rendered moot by other flaws in the system.
3. Unfortunately, it also gives harryoke an excuse to post more utter nonsense and a completely fake gamepad photo that has nothing to do with any of this.

In other words, it allows MarioNumber1 to say he dumped the boot rom (good job!), and if he implements the HRESET exploit, and if he implements an undisclosed, completely unrelated, much more complex Wii U mode exploit, then he will have a slightly easier/more convenient time reverse engineering the rest of the system. It's not even a make-or-break thing, just a slight convenience.

Really, we did it because number 2.

And yes, Nintendo can't fix this on existing consoles, but even if they fix it on newer ones it's completely fucking irrelevant because only a single person in the world has to use this exploit once, ever, and after that it's completely and utterly useless for every purpose, period. The only purpose of this exploit is to learn more about how the console works.

Ehh... I don't like this, I don't want cheaters on MK8 & SSB4.

Hardware and software sales are already bad, but nooo, you want the Wii U to be region free so you can port...what?
And you want Project M4 so you can play melee clone... oh Nintendo why aren't you rehashing...

And everyone at least have a PC or a Tablet, so you can already play emulators on them.

Why hack a whole system and open the gates to piracy and online cheaters for stupid reasons like this?

Sorry but I rather have the system clean for at least 4 years, so I can play online without hackers and cheaters.

Goddard

The potential for piracy does not automatically equal full access to the hardware.

I hope that I remember this correctly: it's possible to pirate on 360, but it's not possible to run unsigned code. Which I consider to be a very bad thing. And for Wii U, it may be the push over the ledge.
The idea is that they are running unsigned code, which allows them a lot of platform freedom, with that freedom comes the responsibility not to break the law, but it is a possibility. The whole xbox 360 JTAG thing was so rediculous when it came out. I am an electronics repairman and someone paid me $50 to JTAG their xbox 360 many years back, I didn't even tell the guy that I didn't know what a JTAG was yet. I nearly pooed my pants when I found out all you have to do is solder down a couple resistors.

Anura

So I don't expect anything soon but I am optimistic of what this might mean for the future (mostly smash). Couldn't this eventually use the Wii U's in built emulators? That could be great!

Herne

The Wii U doesn't use Blu-ray in the same sense that the Wii does not use DVD. And a software-modified (older) Wii is quite capable of playing DVDs.

No, it isn't. The Wii's drive is not designed for constant velocity which dvd discs use, so while it will play them, it's performance will be spotty at best. Some dvd's it will play, maybe even play them with no issues, but the majority of them, as I have tested, will either play badly or not at all.

It's also bad for the drive to play dvd's so I stopped doing that after initial tests.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Great news for future of the Wii U homebrew/modding scene. Should have happened a while ago so nice to finally see the first "step" in the right direction.

wsippel

Banned
No, it isn't. The Wii's drive is not designed for constant velocity which dvd discs use, so while it will play them, it's performance will be spotty at best. Some dvd's it will play, maybe even play them with no issues, but the majority of them, as I have tested, will either play badly or not at all.

It's also bad for the drive to play dvd's so I stopped doing that after initial tests.
Right, the Wii drive is CAV (constant angular velocity), whereas DVD drives are CLV (constant linear velocity). Some better DVD players for Wii U would always buffer as much as possible to work around this issue and not kill the drive.

Top Bottom