• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Sakaguchi's Mistwalker to develop two Xbox 2 exclusive RPGs

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Press release :
Video Game Legend Hironobu Sakaguchi Joins Microsoft Game Studios as a Developer for Next-Generation Xbox Platform
Father of “Final Fantasy” Series and AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Will Develop Role-Playing Games

REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 24, 2005 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that Hironobu Sakaguchi, video game legend and president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop role-playing game (RPG) video games exclusively for the next-generation Xbox® video game platform. Sakaguchi is best known as the creator of the “Final Fantasy” franchise, which has sold more than 60 million units worldwide, and was executive vice president in charge of game development at Square Enix Co., Ltd. until February 2001.
Citing a shared vision with Microsoft for the next generation of video games, Sakaguchi will lead the creation of two upcoming Xbox-exclusive RPG titles to be published by Microsoft Game Studios.
“Sakaguchi-san has taken role-playing games — traditionally a niche market — and introduced them to a broad and diverse audience across the globe,” said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing at Microsoft. “We are ecstatic to work with Sakaguchi-san and celebrate what this news means not only for Xbox, but for gamers worldwide.”
“I’m excited about the two epic game titles we will be developing,” Sakaguchi said. “A number of talented creators have signed on to help develop these games, and I’m confident we will be able to create games that provide gamers with a new kind of thrill.
“Microsoft’s cutting-edge technologies in the next-generation platform will allow me to bring to life an array of ideas that I have had for many years,” Sakaguchi said. “I want these games to be alive with a new vision for gaming and vividly depict new characters that will transcend the game, find a place in the hearts of gamers, and make time spent with my games a fond and long-lasting memory.”

Sakaguchi started his career at Square Co. Ltd. in 1986 as director of planning and development. He was promoted to executive vice president in 1991 and eventually ascended to president of Square LA Inc. (now Square USA Inc.) in 1995. In 2000, Sakaguchi was inducted into the coveted Academy of Interactive Arts & Science (AIAS) Hall of Fame for his groundbreaking work on the “Final Fantasy” series. In 2004, Sakaguchi announced that he had started his own development studio, called Mistwalker.
Xbox is coming off a blockbuster year as the only video game console to show year-to-year growth in 2004, while competitors declined*. Driven by epic, platform-exclusive content — including “Halo® 2” by Microsoft Game Studios, “Fable” by Microsoft Game Studios., “Ninja Gaiden” by Tecmo Ltd., and Xbox Live™, the only unified online video game console service — gamers worldwide continue to flock to Xbox for an unparalleled digital entertainment experience.
There you have it

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wow. Well, I'm not particularly interested in these types of games, but it's obvious that they needed to do something to show that they would try to fill that genre in on the Xbox. I think this is an impressive move in that direction.

SomeDude

Banned
With microsoft probably helping fund things I really think they could pull something off that could even outbudget a Final fantasy game.

Hollywood

Banned
Here's a scale:

Big news: Xbox 2 to look like this (pictures shown)

Medium news: The official MSoft spec list

Small news: EA games we already knew announced

THIS news: who cares?

CloudNL

This guy didn't do anything after february 2001 (after the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within fiasco). He DID create the Final Fantasy series, but hasn't be involved since the first couple of Final Fantasy games. Some people are just hyping this up.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Doom_Bringer said:
will they release any media for the game today or is this it?
There is word something should be shown at the Taipei Games Show later today (or tomorrow there), but I'm not hoping for much.

hooo

boooy
Good to see that MS might actually make a product that appeals to me next gen, too bad this announcement is worthless without pics. WHY MUST I WAIT FOR MEDIA? Aaaarrrr. E3 is still way too far away.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This guy didn't do anything after february 2001 (after the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within fiasco). He DID create the Final Fantasy series, but hasn't be involved since the first couple of Final Fantasy games. Some people are just hyping this up.

Any FF historians care to argue or confirm this?

Socreges

Banned
As with the DS Sakaguchi game, should people really be getting excited? After all, people are talking about 'Sakaguchi' games, not 'Mistwalker' games (since they have no credibility yet), and apparently he hasn't been directly involved with the development of games since 1991.

Not to be a wet blanket. Maybe he's recruited some serious talent that I didn't know of? Are many of them defects from Square? Because that would be understandable.

Either way, it's probably a very big gain for MS, and principally in terms of gaining Japanese support.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I have flashback of Xbox pre-launch.

Little studio with some kind of potential : "Give us some money but don't buy us"
MS japan : "How much do you need ?"
Little studio with some kind of potential : "LOTS OF $$$$$$$"
MS japan : "Ok. Take THAT"
*MS japan leaves*
Little studio with some kind of potential : "Time to use all that $$$$$ to make PS3 games"

SomeDude

Banned
Now maybe if MS can get and exclusive Final Fantasy game or Dragon Quest then they can actually put up a fight in Japan!

jarrod

Banned
Society said:
So ,what of the NDS game?
It's just a 2 game deal, not an entire studio aquisition like some were speculating. I suspect the DS SRPG is still coming and it'll likely be published by Nintendo.

xexex

Banned
mistrpg1.jpg

that is the only picture I recall being released. it's concept artwork. not an in-game screen or even a render. unless i'm mistaken.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jarrod said:
It's just a 2 game deal, not an entire studio aquisition like some were speculating. I suspect the DS SRPG is still coming and it'll likely be published by Nintendo.
oooooo

I read it as 'joined MGS as a developer', like bungie is a developer within MGS.

Jonnyram

Unison said:
It would be funny if MSoft dropped this game after 3 years of development. :lol
It would be even funnier if they put Sakaguchi in charge of resurrecting the TFLO project for Xenon.

GhaleonEB

Society said:
oooooo

I read it as 'joined MGS as a developer', like bungie is a developer within MGS.

I note a distinct lack of the word "acquired" in that press release. Sounds like a 2-game publishing deal.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So, when they say "Next Generation Xbox Platform" in PR these days, do they really mean Xbox2? Or are they still using that to refer to Xbox1, like they have in the past?

Kon Tiki

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I note a distinct lack of the word "acquired" in that press release. Sounds like a 2-game publishing deal.
I only read titles. :p

Doom_Bringer said:
Picture this.

Halo 3 for PS3 NA Launch

Mistwalker RPG for PS3 JPN launch (if they can hype it)

Sony am crying :lol

Tears of Joy for getting Halo 3 on PS3? :p

nitewulf

Mrbob said:
Good move, but Mistwalker needs to get the first game out for MS near or at the Xbox 360 launch.
pffft. never gonna happen. expect the first game within the first year of xenon. next game perhaps during the third year or so. i just hope these arent online rpgs. that would defeat the whole point.

Azih

Alright the wording of that PR is damn vauge, it says near the top
Microsoft Corp. today announced that Hironobu Sakaguchi, video game legend and president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop role-playing game (RPG) video games exclusively for the next-generation Xbox® video game platform
This could be hyperbole, or it could mean Mistwalker will only make Xenon games and they have two titles already in planning stages.

Really nothing one pointed question can't clear up. So.. when's a press conference?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kaching said:
So, when they say "Next Generation Xbox Platform" in PR these days, do they really mean Xbox2? Or are they still using that to refer to Xbox1, like they have in the past?
Do you really think MS would get new exclusive games for a completely dead system in Japan? With Xbox 2 they have a tiny chance to sell some games.

Teddman

Socreges said:
As with the DS Sakaguchi game, should people really be getting excited? After all, people are talking about 'Sakaguchi' games, not 'Mistwalker' games (since they have no credibility yet), and apparently he hasn't been directly involved with the development of games since 1991.

Not to be a wet blanket. Maybe he's recruited some serious talent that I didn't know of? Are many of them defects from Square? Because that would be understandable.

Either way, it's probably a very big gain for MS, and principally in terms of gaining Japanese support.
Isn't composer Nobo Uematsu also attached to Mistwalker, as is one of the series' main art designers? I thought the last FF game Sakaguchi was directly involved with was FFVII, long after 1991.

EDIT: Seems he produced FFVIII as well.

Enigma

Anyone here ever buy the Marty Chinn E3 videos? A number of years ago (Think it was the same edition that had the PS2 Netscape browser demo) he had a long interview with a Square guy about the film. Is that the dick? Cause I used to really love Square's games, but that interview epitimized everything I hated about their current RPGs and just watching that dude made me seethe.

Edit: Marty wasn't doing the interviewing, he just had an interview included on the video. And for the reference, FFVII is also the last Square game I've truly loved (And it's not for a lack of trying.)

eso76

I hope they don't pull a Magatama...that too had some ex Square / ex FF guy involved, right ?
Sounds different this time, but you never know...

eso76 said:
I hope they don't pull a Magatama...that too had some ex Square / ex FF guy involved, right ?

probably some n00b staff, I never played the game though

ManaByte

Gold Member
Teddman said:
Isn't composer Nobo Uematsu also attached to Mistwalker, as is one of the series' main art designers? I thought the last FF game Sakaguchi was directly involved with was FFVII, long after 1991.

Uematsu and Amano are both with Mistwalker, yes.

“Microsoft’s cutting-edge technologies in the next-generation platform will allow me to bring to life an array of ideas that I have had for many years,” Sakaguchi said. “I want these games to be alive with a new vision for gaming and vividly depict new characters that will transcend the game, find a place in the hearts of gamers, and make time spent with my games a fond and long-lasting memory.”

Wow, this is talking ambitious...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eso76 said:
Magatama's producer was FF9's main programmer and also worked on FF7. Magatama indeed has a quite nice graphics and physics engine, but lacked a lot in gameplay...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ManaByte said:
Uematsu and Amano are both with Mistwalker, yes.
AFAIK Uematsu is more like a freelancer now, who could work on any project for any company. He's working with Mistwalker on the DS project (unless they canned it ? doubtful) so he could very well also be working on the Xenon projects.

Acosta

"Time to use all that $$$$$ to make PS3 games"

Some birds in the air says that it's what happened with Atlus and Shin Megami Tensei IX for Xbox, let's say peope were surprised of the high quality and big values production it showed SMT: Nocturne a time after that, that is quite surprising given how broken was the xbox one.

It makes you think... but reality it´s more boring than that, suppose is just fun thinking.

However, good news, Mitwalker have some serious artists inside or around, hope the technical team is capable of handle how to translate it to a videogame.

Top Bottom