• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game or series inspires the best fanart?

DryvBy

Sonic.

1MWgMei.png

bobawesome

It's very good, one of the best of the RPG Maker horror games, though not my personal favorite, but one of my favorites. It also is almost solely responsible for making the RPG Maker horror scene in the west more popular with a niche audience. Apparently a niche audience who are all very good at drawing and love to draw it a lot. Whch is surprising as Ib is like, a 2-6 hour long game, so how much fan art its produced is somewhat staggering.

Especially as the actual game looks like this:

IbScreen1.png
IbScreen4.png

There's definitely a certain charm to its simplicity. I've wanted to dive into some RPG Maker horror games since playing Corpse Party on the PSP and this or The Witch's House will probably be the first game I tackle.

velociraptor

This is Warhammer 40k without a doubt:
3254417-5145368296-Warha.jpg

wallpaper-128092.jpg

DA_Inter_Chap.jpg

13dacd7e4980f7f5866406e36cb8db32.jpg

black_templars_by_jokester333.jpg

Grimaldus..jpg

I don't even know much about the universe yet it looks so epic. It has compelled me to begin reading the Warhammer 40k Wiki.

onilink88

Shame there's very little (good) fan art of Xenoblade, as it's easily among the most beautiful games ever made. Here are better pieces I've come across:

A crossover (Spelunker, Mario, Xenoblade, Nier, The Last Story, Okami, Pokemon, El Shaddai, Final Fantasy IV, and I can't recognize the other two) by AG+, the dude responsible for the massive 25th anniversary TLoZ piece:

Baten Kaitos/Blade crossover:

And the rest is just plain Xenoblade:

Adaren

It has the most prolific and largest fanbase bound to have a lot of pretty fan art.

It has a large fanbase, but nothing on more a lot of the more mainstream series listed in this thread.

That's what makes it so impressive. There amount of high-quality Touhou art out there is absolutely ludicrous. The fanbase is ridiculously prolific.

(If it wasn't clear, my vote is for Touhou)

Evilisk

This is the most correct answer. Nothing even comes close, it has quantity + quality, it has dedicated fan artists, there are just so many different styles as well and the fanart machine just never ever stops (just go to Tumblr once a week and type in Touhou Project, there will ALWAYS be new art to look at).

I literally have 2GB+ worth of "best fan art". And don't even get me started on when a new game releases. Within the first day of the last game's release, the new characters already had fan art and remixes for their character themes.

(These images above aren't even from my dedicated folder, no these are just ones I literally just picked up off of Tumblr just now)

Another series I've noticed that has decent fanart output is Skullgirls. Generally, there's a lot of quantity but not as much quality, however considering the relative age of the series, it's pretty commendable. At the very least, there's some really great art if you know where to look.

Outside of Nintendo, Fallout and Mass Effect Series have some pretty good fanart especially if resin pieces count as there are some nice fallout pieces

tumblr_ltzqzskLdh1qfc9s4o1_500.jpg

Nete

I would say any Blizzard game. There is just so much fanart from Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

This is Warhammer 40k without a doubt:
3254417-5145368296-Warha.jpg

wallpaper-128092.jpg

I don't even know much about the universe yet it looks so epic. It has compelled me to begin reading the Warhammer 40k Wiki.

Half of those pics are official art though. The two quoted, for instance, are Rogue Trader (first 40k edition) and Dark Millenium (2nd edition expansion) cover art. But yeah, 40k fanart is great.

Amani

I would like to express my thanks to this thread for all the new wallpaper, as well as my disappointment at the lack of Metroid up in here:

tumblr_ll675lcP3C1qdv2eao1_500.jpg

phantoon.png

metroid_anniversary_fan_art_by_blkcelebration-d45nima.png

metroid.jpg

Draygon.png

130825075753561621.png

croc.png

Zebus_cave_by_Orioto.jpg

super_metroid_by_aibryce-d5w76w5.jpg

Wow am I glad I clicked on this thread....The Shadown of the Colossus is my favourite game ever!! I personally have not looked up any fanart on it....well because I just like day dreaming about the game and imagining my versions of everything but damn some of that fanart is spectacular.

My personal pick would be Monster Hunter. Some amazing work out there and I love seeing battles between huge monsters and some of the atmosphere that can be created/felt from these situations is really fleshed out well in fanart.

Thanks for an awesome thread OP!

Noogy

Between Mario, Zelda, and by association Pokémon, I would say it's definitely something by Nintendo. Their franchises seem to generate the most polished fan art. Probably followed by Capcom.

If we count fan art that is more than just pictures and more like fan expressions from the source material being used in unique ways. I'll say Ace Attorney.

Top Bottom