• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario 3D Land

This game proved that platformers, specially 2D, 2.5D or ones with a fixed isometric camera (3D World) absolutly need to have the option for stereoscopy 3D.

The stereo implmentation was masterful by Nintendo. A port for 3D World should happen for the 3DS.

Jigorath

Banned
I thought it was very mediocre compared to other 3D Marios. The level design felt uninspired and the bosses were shamelessly repeated over and over again.

Freeman

Banned
I really liked this game, the use of 3D was great, made me very interested on Mario 3D World to bad I don't own a WiiU.

Probably the worst Mario game in my opinion. The move to make it basically be NSMB but in 3D was unneeded and left a serious sour taste in my mouth. The level-design felt unremarkable, the music was repetitive and forgettable, and all of it was wrapped in the same Mario tropes that at this point have been beaten far beyond the point of death. Furthermore the inclusion of a timer, point a to b level design based around getting to the flag-pole, and sheer linear structure of some of the levels made it much more linear than whatever level of linearity one may or may remember Mario Galaxy being. None of this is mentioning the severe reduction of Mario's moveset.

And as a note to those saying Mario Galaxy was just as linear, you do realize that a game having linear level design doesn't mean a game can't have exploration based design as well? Mario Galaxy plays much more like both Sunshine and 64 than it does 3D Land or World; Super Mario Galaxy is an Action-Adventure 3D platformer, Super Mario 3D Land is an 3D Action-based Platformer. Ultimately Galaxy share a lot with both 64 and Sunshine, more-so than it does with 3D Land.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's pretty much just a run through all the levels, so it's actually not too bad since you can ignore the coins and essentially speedrun if you already got them. It's obviously not for everyone, but the reward is definitely worth the effort IMO, especially if you've been having fun with the game anyway.

Well I've been mopping up all the levels I haven't completed with Luigi and/or a golden flag pole in the normal worlds.

I only just noticed the flag pole, M and L icons on the map screen for each level. Turns out I've already done quite a few without even realising, so this isn't going to be as taxing as I thought, and as you said it's really quick to go through the levels anyway, particularly after getting used to the difficulty towards the end of the Specials.

oatmeal

Banned
Incredible game. I actually enjoyed my time with it more than 3D World and the Galaxy games.

And I 100%'d it, which I never ever do in a non Zelda game.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
The other problem was that it was just too easy. It wasn't long before I had 35 lives and any lives I lost were mistakes of my own by faulty camera.

There's it's biggest problem. And it completely stops the game from being up there with Nintendo's best. No real challenge to be had here either (especially comparing it to something like Mario 3 - deserved of the title 'masterpiece') so no danger in losing lives.

I had 99 lives by about world 6. The game gives out coins like crazy. It's the biggest devaluation of currency outside of the Weimar Republic.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed my time playing it. Awesome soundtrack too. But, having yet to play 3D World, I'm hoping that offers more challenge.

Top Bottom