• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity for Playstation Mobile beta released, is free

SappYoda

It's amazing.

I just tested it and barely had to do anything for my project to run.

As I said in the other thread, PSM is going to get tons of games this summer when Unity for psm releases.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sorry, I take that back. A multiplatform Engine and Editor well supported pretty much anywhere that I can only use on Windows?
It is kind of upsetting to me... I did not like the way they were handling PSM, multiplatform portable tools you could only use on one OS and I am liking the Unity bit even less.

Edit: yes, Windows is a hugely popular and widely used OS, but the reason I get angry about this is that Sony being the new kid on the multiplatform very portable apps block should not just sit there and wait for developers to jump over roadblocks to develop content, but do the extra work of going to developers wherever they are, especially when you are competing against iOS and Android. Quite a bit of those are on OS X too (hint: you can compile Unreal Engine 4 with XCode unless I misread their press releases lately)... and the tools Sony is using are not part of some new all custom software stack which would take years and massive resources to port to OS X.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes, windows-only sucks. Any tinkering on my end will have to wait for mac support unless a new PC falls into my lap sometime soon. Still though, I'm sure it's cool for others.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, windows-only sucks. Any tinkering on my end will have to wait for mac support unless a new PC falls into my lap sometime soon. Still though, I'm sure it's cool for others.

It is not that this is not useful or bad in and of itself, but it is rage inducing because of what this means for the approach they are still taking with PSM. What could have been a quite powerful and disruptive effort on a huge variety of platforms is "merely" a nice thing to have. It is not nice seeing something with potential being grounded by a company's seeming lack of faith in their own efforts and thus what appears to be lack of commitment.

Unity for PSM could have been the right moment to announce/expand support to OS X for what is essentially based on technology already ported to OS X and thus reach those developers you are asking to take some time away from their daily work on iOS and Android which OS X supports wonderfully and move to Windows just for you.

It is not that this is not useful or bad in and of itself, but it is rage inducing because of what this means for the approach they are still taking with PSM. What could have been a quite powerful and disruptive effort on a huge variety of platforms is "merely" a nice thing to have. It is not nice seeing something with potential being grounded by a company's seeming lack of faith in their own efforts and thus what appears to be lack of commitment.

Unity for PSM could have been the right moment to announce/expand support to OS X for what is essentially based on technology already ported to OS X and thus reach those developers you are asking to take some time away from their daily work on iOS and Android which OS X supports wonderfully and move to Windows just for you.

Or simply Boot Camp Windows. Install Unity. Import your project, hit the build button. Submit. I doubt there is much platform specific stuff in PSM that you would need to handle than Unity doesn't automatically handle anyhow.

All of Sonys development tools are Windows only.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Or simply Boot Camp Windows. Install Unity. Import your project, hit the build button. Submit. I doubt there is much platform specific stuff in PSM that you would need to handle than Unity doesn't automatically handle anyhow.

All of Sonys development tools are Windows only.

I already have boot camp and a license to Parallels, but knowing how to do it is not the point. I am not asking for their official PS4 SDK to be on OS X, I do understand their deep integration with Visual Studio there. I find the hubris and shortsightedness in their PSM approach a bit telling... You come very late to essentially steal developers's attention away from iOS and Android and you show up expecting them to run to you and jumping through hoops to have the privilege of working on their system. Sony and PSM are not Apple and their App Store in 2008 with developers itching at doing anything to be able to jump on the iPhone OS train.

PSM relies on C# and Mono.NET, they launched with only support for MonoDevelop, and now they add Unity support. Basically their software stack is based on lots of already multiplatform tools and yet they are still Windows only.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't PS Mobile games have the limitation of being stuck in 480x272 because they have to work on the PSP too?

Wonder if they'll ever get Trophy integration working. According to Wikipedia, the last update to it was August 20th last year.

billsmugs

Don't PS Mobile games have the limitation of being stuck in 480x272 because they have to work on the PSP too?

Wonder if they'll ever get Trophy integration working. According to Wikipedia, the last update to it was August 20th last year.

I think you're thinking of PS Minis. PS Mobile is a separate thing for Vita and (selected) Android devices. Trophy support is hopefully coming at some point for PS Mobile.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think you're thinking of PS Minis. PS Mobile is a separate thing for Vita and (selected) Android devices. Trophy support is hopefully coming at some point for PS Mobile.

Their SDK is updated at a snail' space, they managed to finally acknowledge that their PS Vita VM needs quite a bit of performance optimisations, there is no news of PS4 support, and Trophies are still nowhere to be seen and there are no concrete details on when they will arrive. GDC just came and went and PS Mobile is still in coasting mode from where I am sitting. They might be pouring a lot of resources in some mind blowing huge update to PSM, but they are not letting anybody know about it.

Doctor Strangelove said it best: http://youtu.be/j83bGaauRXw

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is it feasible for a single individual to publish a game for vita? Do you need to be a company?

From their documentation. It seems so. Even the publishing license is currently free.

Lucifon

Whilst I think it's great we're getting more things like this allowing indie developers to get their games out there, PS Mobile doesn't exactly fill me with hope. That thing is a barren tumbleweed filled initiative so far, which I'd be surprised if it ever takes off.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Whilst I think it's great we're getting more things like this allowing indie developers to get their games out there, PS Mobile doesn't exactly excite me. That thing is a barren tumbleweed filled initiative so far, which I'd be surprised if it ever takes off.

I can agree to that, Sony has their work cut out for them if they plan to turn this ship around.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is it feasible for a single individual to publish a game for vita? Do you need to be a company?

I've just been going through the PSM publishing application...you can apply as an individual. Just asks for your name and address.

There is some manual oversight of applications though, currently waiting for someone to hit an OK button on mine. I assume everyone is basically approved as long as your info is legit.

(Yes, despite my mac-related protests, I set up a windows vm with vmware... curious to try a little tech demo)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've just been going through the PSM publishing application...you can apply as an individual. Just asks for your name and address.

There is some manual oversight of applications though, currently waiting for someone to hit an OK button on mine. I assume everyone is basically approved as long as your info is legit.

(Yes, despite my mac-related protests, I set up a windows vm with vmware... curious to try a little tech demo)

What game are you going to create/port?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What game are you going to create/port?

I'm working on an iOS game at the moment (screenie). I think it's unlikely it'll come to PSM - at the moment it's targeting latest-gen iOS hardware only! - but I'm curious to do a quickie tech demo port and check it out.

It seems you have to apply as a publisher in order to dev/test with Unity PSM, it's not necessarily an indication of firm intent to publish something :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm working on an iOS game at the moment (screenie). I think it's unlikely it'll come to PSM - at the moment it's targeting latest-gen iOS hardware only! - but I'm curious to do a quickie tech demo port and check it out.

It seems you have to apply as a publisher in order to dev/test with Unity PSM, it's not necessarily an indication of firm intent to publish something :)

The picture looks quite cool :).

cyberheater

Piccie looks great. Very atmospheric.

The publishing license looks to be currently free and last a year. I've no idea of the submission criteria for games but if it plays well then I can't see them refusing it.

androvsky

Does anyone know if they've gotten around to the low-level audio interface? It's completely impossible to do a video codec without it, even if someone's willing to deal with the fact they're stuck with managed C#.

billsmugs

There was a presentation given on Unity PSM at Unity Japan 2014 today. The slides are here and are pretty interesting (especially slide 19 which shows you how to view the debug console for a game running on the Vita: that would have saved me quite a bit of confusion when I was first trying to test my game on the device and ran into problems!) Slide 23 compares the speed of Unity's native Vita export to the PSM version and they are pretty similar, which is very nice to see after having trouble with framerate in the simple 2D game I developed using the standard PSM SDK.

Oh right, of course you're correct.

What ever happened to PS Minis?

They seem to have disappeared completely, but the program has never been officially cancelled as far as I can tell. (You can even still sign up on the SCEE Licencing Enquiry Form).

It appears that Unity PSM will work exactly the same as the normal PSM system, in which case yes you can certainly sign up and release a game as an individual (as I have).

The publishing license looks to be currently free and last a year. I've no idea of the submission criteria for games but if it plays well then I can't see them refusing it.

As far as I'm aware the only criteria for releasing a game are that it doesn't crash/freeze, is free from any major bugs and has the store description translated into the native language for each of the territories you plan to release in. The full guidelines are available here: https://psm.playstation.net/static/general/dev/en/development_guidelines.html if you're logged in as a registered developer (which is free). (Mostly just data security, error handling etc, there's no content restrictions besides the obvious sort of stuff that a platform holder wouldn't allow on their system).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The picture looks quite cool :).

Piccie looks great. Very atmospheric.

Thanking you both, very kind & encouraging :)

There was a presentation given on Unity PSM at Unity Japan 2014 today. The slides are here and are pretty interesting (especially slide 19 which shows you how to view the debug console for a game running on the Vita: that would have saved me quite a bit of confusion when I was first trying to test my game on the device and ran into problems!) Slide 23 compares the speed of Unity's native Vita export to the PSM version and they are pretty similar, which is very nice to see after having trouble with framerate in the simple 2D game I developed using the standard PSM SDK.

This is very interesting. A couple of things:

It says it is not using the PSM runtime, but a Unity specific runtime.
It seems to say that Unity for PSM is for Vita only?
They say any optimisations to Unity Vita will automatically apply to Unity PSM.
They say that performance between Unity Vita and Unity PSM is the same, with a couple of caveats.

That all sounds like this basically boils your 'PSM' game down to the same native Vita runtime that Unity Vita uses?

That would be very exciting. I mean, yes, you would not have the broader PSM mobile device support, but you would have much much better performance on Vita. I remember with the regular PSM sdk, running on Vita basically seemed to be running on a more limited VM that was more representative of a less powerful mobile.

Not sure if I'm reading the wrong things into this though! Still awaiting my publisher approval so can't test things out myself.

billsmugs

This is very interesting. A couple of things:

They say that performance between Unity Vita and Unity PSM is the same, with a couple of caveats.

That all sounds like this basically boils your 'PSM' game down to the same native Vita runtime that Unity Vita uses?

That would be very exciting. I mean, yes, you would not have the broader PSM mobile device support, but you would have much much better performance on Vita. I remember with the regular PSM sdk, running on Vita basically seemed to be running on a more limited VM that was more representative of a less powerful mobile.

Not sure if I'm reading the wrong things into this though! Still awaiting my publisher approval so can't test things out myself.

I'd say that being Vita only is probably guaranteed, especially since they are planning to allow back-touch access. It makes sense, since you can already export Unity games to Android anyway, but it's certainly quite a turn-around from Sony's original statements and intentions. (A very welcome one though!)

Unity for PSM definitely seems like a huge step up from the previous PSM SDK in terms of performance and if it stays free then there's no real reason to continue using the original SDK unless they unlock the performance and allow Vita-only releases through that as well.

Would this (along with the 1GB size limit for PSM apps and the reasonably free pricing choices for releases) make the Vita the most open console for individual "bedroom coders" to release games on? (In modern times at least). I never owned a 360, did XBLIG have any performance or pricing limits?

From my tests so far (using my relatively simple Unity game), performance seems generally not too bad. I hope they add support for shadows though (currently hard shadows look dreadful and SystemInfo.supportsShadows returns false).

If you put it on PSM or Android I'll buy it.

Nice to see so much Mac love in this thread.

Ah, thanks for this. I was trying to figure out what was going on in this thread. I was thinking this was something for taking advantage of the second-screen functionality of the PS mobile app. lol

I'm working on an iOS game at the moment (screenie).
Oh, that's pretty. What is it?

The publishing license looks to be currently free and last a year.
Okay, I have a noob question. Let's say I license UE4 for a year. What happens at the end of that year? Let's say I get my game finished and published in that year. Can I keep publishing it forever, or do I need to keep renewing the license, or what?

And one more. Unity Vita makes Vita games, I assume. If Unity PSM only makes Vita games, how does it differ from Unity Vita? =/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Erik Hemming, the man who did the Unite presentation, answered my qs on the Unity forum. Basically, yes, Unity for PSM boils down to a native Vita app:

"Correct - Unity-for-PSM reuses the same native runtime code we already have in place for PS Vita."

! :)

If you put it on PSM or Android I'll buy it.

:) Can only commit to iOS at the moment but if I can find other platforms/devices to host it I'd love to try.

just got home. how long does it take after applying for the license? i should have done that ages ago.

People on the PSM forums seem to be indicating 10 working days at the moment. Which seems very long :/ At least compared to the immediacy of Apple's publishing signup.

Oh, that's pretty. What is it?

I'm kind of early on in design tinkering, but the core concept is actually for a VR game. But in the short term I'm making a kind of prototype using mobile hardware, that allows a 'window onto a world' that you can move about. Hopefully I can use this game to inform and fund development on the VR endgoal, and maybe help pitch to platform holders. Basically it will involve aerial antics around (hopefully) beautiful worlds, from orbit, through the atmosphere, to lower altitude, wrapped in scifi trappings. Think Starfox crossed with Pilotwings for a rough idea, perhaps.

(Still, though, is early days, so things can change)

And one more. Unity Vita makes Vita games, I assume. If Unity PSM only makes Vita games, how does it differ from Unity Vita? =/

Going by the slides there's some small differences in how shaders are compiled - Unity PSM uses runtime compilation so there's a little extra loadtime upfront. Also Unity Vita exposes full PSN feature support (trophies etc) and integrates with Sony performance tools/debuggers that aren't available on PSM.

Otherwise, though, it sounds like Unity PSM = Unity Vita (native). Which is great.

I'm kind of early on in design tinkering, but the core concept is actually for a VR game. But in the short term I'm making a kind of prototype using mobile hardware, that allows a 'window onto a world' that you can move about. Hopefully I can use this game to inform and fund development on the VR endgoal, and maybe help pitch to platform holders. Basically it will involve aerial antics around (hopefully) beautiful worlds, from orbit, through the atmosphere, to lower altitude, wrapped in scifi trappings. Think Starfox crossed with Pilotwings for a rough idea, perhaps.

(Still, though, is early days, so things can change)
That sounds pretty cool. Best of luck to you. :)

Going by the slides there's some small differences in how shaders are compiled - Unity PSM uses runtime compilation so there's a little extra loadtime upfront. Also Unity Vita exposes full PSN feature support (trophies etc) and integrates with Sony performance tools/debuggers that aren't available on PSM.

Otherwise, though, it sounds like Unity PSM = Unity Vita (native). Which is great.
Ah, right on. Thanks. <3

Anybody else have problems putting their postcode in the publisher license application? Every time I put in my zip, the text under the field changes to: "Enter Postcode (no hyphens or spaces) in text of 9."

billsmugs

I'm glad I got my publisher license ages ago for the original SDK, it was great being able to just download the software and try out my game on the Vita as soon as it became available. Sony really should have announced that this was coming a week or so in advance to let people sign up for licenses, to keep more excitement around the launch. Hopefully the long waits are due to lots of people signing up, because it really is a great opportunity.

For reference, I signed up for the developer license and received confirmation on the same day (on a Sunday), and the the publisher license took 8-9 days from application to acceptance. This was back in Feb/March of last year for the original SDK though.

Which game would that be?

A small puzzle game called Tileogo (see here for details/video: http://www.billsmugs.com/p/tileogo.html)

i purchased the license. weren't there a tool or place i am suppose to generate the key?

EDIT: Derp. didn't see that the tool set utility installed an exe LOL.

billsmugs

For those still waiting on licenses, this was posted on the PSM devportal yesterday:
Thank you for your huge interest in "Unity for PSM Public Preview"!
We have received so many applications!

We process your application as quickly as possible. However, the processing time may take longer due to the high volume of applications received.

The current estimated processing time is around 10 working days.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
https://en-support.psm.playstation.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/188

It's good to see a high level of interest, even if that does bring problems with registration time. If there's sustained interest once the full Unity for PSM program is released then hopefully they'll look into expanding the PSM team to speed things up (and hopefully get round to adding trophy support too!)

I got my full liscensing a few days ago roughly a week after signing up.

I'm wondering if Playmaker runs ok on the Vita plus how long load times are with what I'm making.

I really want to mess with it but can't till my PC is back.

Top Bottom