• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision wanted to team up with Nintendo for Skylanders

Maggots

Banned
Hindsight is 20/20 yada, yada...

I would've turned it down too especially if they presented me a property like spyro...

Here here... Nintendo could have viewed it as a risk and passed on it... I do believe 3 studios passed on Star Wars before george lucas found 20th century fox... can you imagine star wars without the fanfare at the beginning? ... this stuff happens all the time ... it was a 50/50 chance and Nintendo bet 0 dollars on the losing side. Gained nothing... and lost nothing. BIG DEAL.

Plus i'm sure they got something from the sales of it on wii and 3DS and wii U.... So i doubt they are crying. It sold over twice as much on Wii than on any other console... it may as well have been exclusive if you ask me.

Toxi

Banned
Because the idea of selling kids over priced figurines to play a game seems like a failure in the making.
They should have tried selling it to adults.
tactical%20space%20marine%20squad.jpg

Espcially how many tucking Pokemon are there 700+?

Looking back, it IS easy to say they fucked up. But it's kind of a chicken and egg situation. Would Skylanders be the same success if it was exclusive?

Also, I'd imagine they presented this around the same time as the THQ U-draw clusterfuck. If I were in Nintendo's shoes, I would have said no just as easily.

If they made a Pokemon Skylanders... I would have been bleeding money.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
A lot more and a much larger story at Polygon: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/16/5614716/skylanders-story-toys-for-bob-skylanders-swap-force

Are people still wondering about Nintendo and their relations with third parties?

I can't imagine there's anyone left who doesn't know how idiotic Nintendo is with regard to third parties.

This is amazing. I know there are times people, companies miss out on this n that here n there...but with Nintendo....this seems like an all day, every day thing.

Unless there is some unknown contract specific thing we dont know about....

But...like its said in the OP.....maybe this was a blessing for Activision ...

ec0ec0

whatever... i am happy about it. Like everyone, i want nintendo to make money, but i would have hated nintendo making money being "disrespectful" with consumers. Thats what could have happened with activision working on it. I dont want nintendo selling figures at crazy prices.

boyshine

I don't think Nintendo expected to be the one wanting others help down the line. Heads in the clouds and all that.

I don't get this in relation to Skylanders. Skylanders is big because it is multiplatform, so even the Wii and Wii U versions sell more as a result.

You discover it by playing it at your friends house, or by hearing about it at school. And your friend might have a different console than you do. That's why multiplatform is so important, especially for kids games.

icy_eagle

Nintendo likes to sustain properties for over 30 years by keeping the quality high for every release.

Activision likes to bleed whatever hit property they have dry because they are an awful game company.

I really doubt Nintendo would ever want to work with them.

mario-is-missing-20080807031941892.jpg

zelda-CDI.jpg

17583.png

hindsight is 20-20

but GAF sure ain't

let's act like we saw Skylanders as an obvious success story from day one though. I haven't gotten to use my imagination all day!

I definitely bet Nintendo is somewhat kicking themselves right now, though.

A few people in the original announcement thread correctly surmised that this would be big.

You're using a small handful of examples in a thread otherwise chock full of cynicism, jokes, and mourning Spyro

Maggots

Banned
I find it hard to form an opinion without knowing what this deal between Activision and Nintendo would've looked like. What was in it for Nintendo except exclusivity (didn't the first two Skylanderd games sell the most far and away on Wii anyway?).

all of them sold the most on the Wii... even swap force... the newest one... The Wii.

Concept17

Innovate what? The most change we've gotten post Wii was Oculus Rift. Gameplay wise there hasnt been anything new. We're getting more cinematic and larger open worlds but nothing as genre defying as say Mario Galaxy was and possibly The Last of Us. And while Nintendo hasn't opened new studios theyve largely expanded the studios they do have, and its funny you say opening new studios at a time when studio after studio is being shut down and people are being laid off constantly.

Anything. I'm not talking about revolutions in gaming, I'm talking about doing something worthwhile, take a risk in a new venture in a genre they're not comfortable with, try something different, etc.. Wii was a phase, it wasn't something that changed gaming completely. Also saying Mario Galaxy is genre defying while ignoring dozens of other equally great games in the last 8 years is laughable.

And yes, they should have more developers in their belt, especially since more studios have shut down. Perfect time to hire, especially when they had just built a war chest from the Wii.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I can see why they declined.
There was a good chance it could have completely backfired.
Yeah, you wouldn't want them to have invested millions into launching something that completely misreads the market and tanks.

Oh.

Maggots

Banned
Anything. I'm not talking about revolutions in gaming, I'm talking about doing something worthwhile, take a risk in a new venture in a genre they're not comfortable with, try something different, etc.. Wii was a phase, it wasn't something that changed gaming completely. Also saying Mario Galaxy is genre defying while ignoring dozens of other equally great games in the last 8 years is laughable.

And yes, they should have more developers in their belt, especially since more studios have shut down. Perfect time to hire, especially when they had just built a war chest from the Wii.

Hey I'm with you on Nintendo getting out of their comfort zone and everything... but just going to address some flaws in your logic...

1. Wii did change gaming... it changed how people game and spawned a whole movement (litterally) of new ways to play using motion... not saying it hadn't ever been done before... but I am saying it clearly sent a ripple through the industry like never before.

2. Seems sort of hypocritical claiming someone ignored 8 whole years of games just because they wanted to highlight one game as an example... especially since your comment right before it ignores the last 8 years of the whole Wii movement and writes it off as a phase...

Just a thought.

KOCMOHABT

wow what is most surprising in that polygon article is that

Bobby Kotick said it would be better for the game to have another year for the polish, which the devs agree was an important part of the success. And he pushed that against the will of all the others.

"He said, 'this game is okay now, but I think it could be amazing in another year'," recalls Reiche. "Every single person underneath him said, 'we disagree, it should go out this year,' because all their plans was based on the money that it was going to bring in and the teams it would free up. He just went [bangs table] 'nope'."
[...]
"We got the price down and the toys looked better," adds Reiche. "Whatever people say about Bobby, he made a big difference with that decision. It cost a lot of money and it made a lot of people nervous but he made a good call there."

So yeah not what I was expecting from Mr. Kotick.

Apart from that, classic Nintendo story continues.

MYE

There are a hundred and one Nintendo mistakes you can point and laugh at, but this is not really one of them. No amount of market research would even begin to guarantee that this idea would be a huge success.
Its not one of those things you go "oh this is a sure hit" and just throw money at it. I don't remember the massively positive and optimistic reception this game got when announced...

Sulik2

screenshot_59823_thum0hqah.jpg

IIRC you can unlock the characters without the toys.

They also had the Kid Icarus AR Card game.

It sounds nice, but why does Pokemon NEED an NFC game? You can pretty much accomplish anything in X/Y without owning some figures.

Wow. The more you know. They would have been rolling in cash if that had been a mainline Pokemon RPG with collectible figurines. Imagine releasing a limited edition Pikachu figure before Christmas.

Wow. The more you know. They would have been rolling in cash if that had been a mainline Pokemon RPG with collectible figurines. Imagine releasing a limited edition Pikachu figure before Christmas.

That may not have worked with the game design of a mainline Pokemon RPG. Hell it barely works with Rumble because Rumble barely has anything in the way of game design and the AR game from Uprising is an addon mode that does not affect the core gameplay.

obonicus

Yeah I'm sure we at GAF would have all loved it when Nintendo's focus shifted to toys for kids. No one here would be bitching in that alternate reality. Nope.

Well, granted, hindsight is 20/20, but what's Nintendo's excuse for not getting into the market before Disney?

Maggots

Banned

I bought some of these and it's not all that exciting... it's sort of nifty, and its cool that you can store data... But what I always thought would be awesome... (mark my words just in case it happens!) If actual Pokemon cards had NFC built in and they released the Pokemon TCG Online ... on Wii U... a couple friends and I recently started playing the TCG again and man I forgot how fun it is. Put NFC into pokemon cards, release it on Wii U with TCG online and you've got a recipe for success.

Side note: Why isn't club Nintendo NFC inserts a thing yet? ... or eshop credits for that matter...?

boyshine

Well, granted, hindsight is 20/20, but what's Nintendo's excuse for not getting into the market before Disney?
Not saying that this is the answer, but..

Nintendo 1st party games have a shelf life for 3+ years, usually without a significant price drop.

Character games stay relevant for approximately 7-10 months, depending on character wave updates. Disney Infinity is in trouble due to people not using Toy Box, not buying Power Discs, and lack of new play sets.

Disney Infinity and Skylanders Swap Force have already had several price drop campaigns with up to 50% discount. Infinity is currently 299kr in my country (the equivalent of $29, full price games are 499-599kr here)

MisterHero

You and a lot of people seem to not understand how huge Pokemon is.

NINTENDO MAKES MONEY ON POKEMON TOYS. They made a shitload of them. They didn't even have to integrate them into their games. The franchise alone has given billions of dollars in income alone.

-Videogame installments that sell in the millions (with many people even double- or triple-dipping depending on the generation)
-The games push hardware, resulting in hardware revenue.
-They have a TV show that's been going for damn near 15 years, with more than a dozen movies.
-A card game that has been going on nearly as long.
-Toys and board games in every variation you can think of.
-The G/S remakes included the Pokewalker, a customizable Virtual Pet toy that also saved/transferred data. Nintendo has done what you're asking before.
-The G/S remakes were preceded by the Pikachu Virtual Pets. These and the Pokewalkers were far more interactive than some figurines.

This "controversy" is ridiculous. I might've been with you if it was over something like a Wii U sequel to Pokemon Snap. This is just Sales-Age BS.

Just think for a moment. The main Pokemon games are packed with content every generation. Would it make sense now to lock features away until you buy a figurine(s)? Why would they apply this to other established franchises?

This reminded me, doesnt the gamepad have NFC built into it?

Has that been used for anything yet?
Hasn't been used yet.

Related to this and the topic at hand, when Skylanders was released for the Wii U, last year, it surprised me that the game didn't use NFC. One would think that Activision could've saved costs by not including the scaning base yet just have an slight drop in price.

SO i wonder if you need to have some sort of permission from NIntendo to use the NFC capability.

boyshine

Hasn't been used yet.

Related to this and the topic at hand, when Skylanders was released for the Wii U, last year, it surprised me that the game didn't use NFC. One would think that Activision could've saved costs by not including the scaning base yet just have an slight drop in price.

SO i wonder if you need to have some sort of permission from NIntendo to use the NFC capability.

How would the game save data to the characters when they're not connected to the game while in use?

How would 2-player work without the Portal?

Activision and Nintendo seem like a terrible match. Big miss by Nintendo though. However is there anything stopping them from selling a Pokemon game like this for Wii U that uses the built in figurine sensor thing? I don't see what's stopping them.

Even if you work as teacher in an elementary school, I'm not sure why you should know that more adults talking about the latest Pokemon title than kids.
I have school aged and pre school aged children, I also worked in electronics based retail during the launch of X/Y. Pokemon is not popular with my kids, their friends and I never see Pokemon related products (backpacks, lunch kits, shirts, etc) at their school. I did however see nothing but 20-somethings buy X & Y when it came out.

Amir0x

Banned

do i even want to know what is going on in this gif?

The best way to change is asking him to leave.

I am still not convinced that would actually fix the deep problems Nintendo is facing right now. I mean if they do it I won't disagree it's warranted after his 'stay on track' shit and laughable ideas behind fixing the Wii U situation (and, the 3DS also represents a downward trend), but I think Iwata needs a wake up call and can still lead Nintendo out of the darkness.

A lot of this depends of course on what -precisely- their QOL product is going to be, and how that will tie in with gaming. We're all laughing about it now, and I am too, but Nintendo could surprise us. Who knows.

Christopher

Can't honestly say Nintendo had poor foresight.

I for one, though skylanders would tank hard.

They didn't?

So tablet attached to console, ereaders with cards, and virtual boys seem like fantastic ideas however interactive figurines (which sell regardless) is gonna TANK

Elija2

25 year gap in between games. I think the first two played a part in why Nintendo became so leery at licencing their IPs for software until Hyrule Warriors.

Off the top of my head there's also been the Mario & Sonic games which were developed by Sega, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games which were developed by Chunsoft, the recent Yoshi's Island games which were developed by Artoon/Arzest, and Mario Sports Mix which was developed by Square Enix.

Nintendo being too protective of their IPs is not why they turned Activision down.

Camjo-Z

I don't get it. Everybody acts like Nintendo's an idiot for not capitalizing on the Skylanders/Disney Infinity thing with their own NFC stuff, but those are games designed specifically for the pre-school to pre-teen set so nobody really cares. If they actually started making you buy expensive figures to unlock exclusive content for the next Mario or Pokemon game (and I'm talking main series stuff, not spin-off shovelware like Rumble U), you can be sure that the internet outrage would be massive.

Christopher

I don't get it. Everybody acts like Nintendo's an idiot for not capitalizing on the Skylanders/Disney Infinity thing with their own NFC stuff, but those are games designed specifically for the pre-school to pre-teen set so nobody really cares. If they actually started making you buy expensive figures to unlock exclusive content for the next Mario or Pokemon game (and I'm talking main series stuff, not spin-off shovelware like Rumble U), you can be sure that the internet outrage would be massive.

Why couldn't they be their own separate entity? A separate thing for Nintendo lovers who like to collect figure essentially like Disney has it could have been Nintendo land separate from the main games.

massoluk

Banned
They didn't?

So tablet attached to console, ereaders with cards, and virtual boys seem like fantastic ideas however interactive figurines (which sell regardless) is gonna TANK

Now we're going full hindsight bias. Sometime things panned out, sometime they don't. Bringing up ereaders and virtual boys without bringing up Wii and NDS, or not bringing up failed shits like Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Lights are hardly fair arguments.

Zephyrus

Banned
They didn't?

No, they didn't.

It was an extremely risky idea that, if backfired, would cause a tremendous loss.

It was such a risky idea that Activision, of all publishers, sought to team up with another company.

Nintendo had poor foresight with the WiiU. Weaker system, late to the party when everyone else was talking about a new gen already. They failed to read the market.

Skylanders? Whoever could tell that it'd be a huge success needs to be made head of something, because the man is a seer.

trinest

The worst thing about this is when the NFC features for the Wii U were revealed people anticipated stuff like this, expecially from Nintendo.

Then to hear they turned up on Skylanders :|

I don't even know if this makes the top ten in Nintendo missed opportunities/mistakes of the last decade. That's how mismanaged they are.

To turn Activision down and then try to scramble the same concept to the market after its been proven, is just foolish. There is no foresight at Nintendo.

watershed

Banned
It's kind of amazing to think Nintendo passed on Skylanders when it seems pitch perfect for the Wii and Nintendo in general. Imagine how different the tail end of the Wii's life would have been if they had Skylanders exclusively and with 1st party support. What a cash cow Nintendo could have had.

jnWake

Who knows what were the conditions of the deal... It seems like a huge missed opportunity but maybe Activision wanted too much compromise in the deal.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still remember the origin of PlayStation.
Thanks Nintendo, again.

The origin of Playstation was before Sony talked to Nintendo. They were getting into the game with or without Nintendo. They went to Nintendo with a really shitty deal. Instead of Nintendo getting screwed on control of their own IPs and sharing profits, they walked. The only "advantage" they would have gotten out of it is preventing a future competitor on their doorstep.

But most people construe this as "Nintendo accidentally made Playstation".

iidesuyo

The origin of Playstation was before Sony talked to Nintendo. They were getting into the game with or without Nintendo. They went to Nintendo with a really shitty deal. Instead of Nintendo getting screwed on control of their own IPs and sharing profits, they walked. The only "advantage" they would have gotten out of it is preventing a future competitor on their doorstep.

But most people construe this as "Nintendo accidentally made Playstation".

What? The deal was signed already. If Nintendo employees were too stupid to read it, it was not Sonys fault.

Nintendo screwed Sony over.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What? The deal was signed already. If Nintendo employees were too stupid to read it, it was not Sonys fault.

Nintendo screwed Sony over.

Regardless of who broke the deal... Playstation would have happened with or without them ever talking with Nintendo. There was a Playstation group within Sony, and they first tried the easy way by partnering, then went it alone when that fell through. Nintendo didn't create that monster, they just refused to work with it.

Top Bottom