• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2014 Thread | April 11-13, 2014 | It's Finally Spring

I agree! Everyone should go to those!

Because we try hard but our audience is never full. :(

Mildly interesting story. The first time I went to a panel on Trans issues, a panelist opens up with a question. "Does everyone know the difference between sex, gender, <etc>?" Crowd responds with noncommittal mumbling. "Alright well sex refers to .." and the panelist takes the next 30 seconds to explain the differences between all these terms.

So there I was, over the course of 30 seconds, I learned more about LGBT identity than in my previous 30 years on this planet. I very VERY nearly broke out laughing at the sheer absurdity of this! How had I gone 30 years without knowing something so key to so many people? Luckily I kept myself contained, as considering the place and timing, it probably wouldn't have gone over well.

Still blows my mind when I think back on it though.

Falk

that puzzling face
The highlight of PAX for me was watching the Amplitude Studios designer (Endless Space, etc) demoing Endless Legend to a bunch of Firaxis devs.

Quadratic

Just a question: what were people's hotel rates/where did you book/which hotel/how far. I'm just looking ahead, and Boston hotels for next year's date is looking at above $450 per night. Is this suppose to be nuts?

The hotel I was staying at the Park Plaza near Boston Common was 170 per night. it's quite a far trek to the convention centre but not as far as you were. It's doable as a walk. I mainly took the T to PAX. Sucks because it wasn't easy just to dump the stuff I got in the room without wasting a lot of travel time.

Just a question: what were people's hotel rates/where did you book/which hotel/how far. I'm just looking ahead, and Boston hotels for next year's date is looking at above $450 per night. Is this suppose to be nuts?

I got a sick deal last year, but this year I think it was $150 a night at the Cambridge Holiday Inn. Free WiFi and breakfast though, and an easy subway ride. And there was this pizza place nearby called Scampa that was GREAT. Their 'small' calzone could feed a family.

I ended up at the Omniparker House and I stayed there for the past few years. This year it was $10 higher at $175 per night for a king-size bed, wifi and a decent sized room. It was also 1.5 miles away from the BCEC which is awesome for traveling back and forth and good exercise to boot.

Maybe. From what I remembered, the first three PAXEast (2010-2012, I didn't go last year), the panel selection always felt like a nice mix of community, media, game promo, and industry talk (the first two year had talks sponsored by the IGDA, typically for folks who are getting their feet wet for GDC talk experience), almost all of those are gone now, and some of the other ones just felt weak this year. I'm shocked at the OCRemix one as you described, because I remember the one I went to at Prime, and that one was fantastic.

Part of the problem with OCRemix is that it felt very hashed together (because it was) and without Liontamer or DJPretzel, the energy was lacking a bit. Also, one of the other problems was that between the rain, parking hell, and the fact that they only have one hour to work with (opposed to 90 minutes or 2 hours) they just were not going to get enough of the interesting stuff out.

Which is a damn shame. Their MAGFest panel was fantastic. Zircon put together a reggae chocobo theme live while the other panelists were talking about the remixing process.

I would definitely say this was not their best panel. And that yeah, there was too much money begging.

Shidoshi: I will do my absolute damnedest to make the next Press XY panel.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

This year and last I stayed at the Westin Waterfront (the hotel on site at the BCEC) and it goes for around $180-$190 a night. Wait until tickets go on sale and you can book a room through the PAX website and get their discount rate. Although with the Westin you have no but to do that, since they have already blocked off the dates for next year's PAX, so you won't be able to reserve a room their until then.

The two years before that I stayed at the Intercontinental, but it was more expensive. I want to say mid $200 a night. That being said, it is a much nicer hotel than the Westin.

border

Big thanks to ArsenicLace and company for providing a fun drinking/partying/watching space on Sunday night. I had a great time and was surprised just how attentive and concerned everyone hosting was. Even when things were winding down, people went out of their way to make sure that everyone got home safely and happily.

I'm glad that at least half a dozen people were introduced the the cinematic masterpiece that we call "Over The Top." I'm also happy that I coughed for the $20 cab ride rather than leaving early for a cheap subway fare.

Jhoan

I ended up at the Omniparker House and I stayed there for the past few years. This year it was $10 higher at $175 per night for a king-size bed, wifi and a decent sized room. It was also 1.5 miles away from the BCEC which is awesome for traveling back and forth and good exercise to boot.
You and I were in the same hotel. I was on the 7th floor. We might have crossed each other at some point. It sure was nice doing all that walking and getting some nice views of the city; being across the street from Old City Hall was a nice bonus.

I don't think my friends and I will be staying there again next year; we plan on reserving a room at the Seaport which is much closer to the con (at the offset of being further away from Chinatown/Beantown Pub) and the rooms are much bigger to accomodate for 4 dudes staying there. It was $600 in total or $150 per person for 3 nights, 4 days. We also plan on staying for at least 1 more additional day to join in on post-PAX festivities. Although taking the free shuttle to the con sure was nice.

Slightly off topic but I'm speaking to a few NYC GAF members to arrange a low key meet up this week to welcome AcridMeat and a GAF member from Scotland with Super Nintendo Chalmers as a tag. Details will most likely be posted in the NYC thread in OT-Community so as to avoid making a meet up thread (May Meet up thread coming soon though! Stay tuned for details). I'm thinking tried and true Valhalla for Friday night since that's become my favorite bar to gather up a group at but it's TBD.

You and I were in the same hotel. I was on the 7th floor. We might have crossed each other at some point. It sure was nice doing all that walking and getting some nice views of the city; being across the street from Old City Hall was a nice bonus.

I don't think my friends and I will be staying there again next year; we plan on reserving a room at the Seaport which is much closer to the con (at the offset of being further away from Chinatown/Beantown Pub) and the rooms are much bigger to accomodate for 4 dudes staying there. It was $600 in total or $150 per person for 3 nights, 4 days. We also plan on staying for at least 1 more additional day to join in on post-PAX festivities. Although taking the free shuttle to the con sure was nice.

Wow. Yeah, I was on 7th as well, room 702. If you heard / saw a guy and his wife laughing and acting a fool, that was us. We seem to have this chemistry that lets us put on live comedy shows.

I've been slowing but surely putting up the interviews that my team were able to get at PAX East 2014. There is also two galleries for random pics and cosplayer pics at the site.

You can check them out at my site, http://www.theouterhaven.net/pax-east-2014-cosplayers/ and http://www.theouterhaven.net/pax-east-2014-photos-coming-soon/
There is also two galleries for random pics and cosplayer pics at the site.

--or-- check them out on youtube.

Interview with Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy Studios - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FgcUEp5-Z9o
Interview with Logan Cunningham "AKA the voice of Rucks in Bastion" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QAUsAHA129Q
Interview with Greg Kasavin from Supergiant Games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nsP5O2Uiz6w
Interview with Alex Preston of Hyper Light Drifter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i3m7y5mflqA
Interview with Tim Dodd from Discord Games (Chasm) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t4rh10QsHMI
Interview with Ryan from PixelScopic regarding Devler's Drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5mPhJ5sMcIM
Interview with Ruan Rothmann regarding Broforce - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6hrYgtdQtwI

Bonus Footage!
Jamming with the Super Soul Bros - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXeau_qDNM
Short hands-on with Chasm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZYgDrQI25Y
Pax East 2014 - Indie to AAA; What You Need to Know about Podcasting Panel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Vt2sFizx4
PAX East 2014 - OC ReMix: Hugging & Cuddling Video Game Music Since 1999! Panel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3LfFL-Lsc

Mully

Judging by the track record of the past two ticket sales for PAX events, the announcement normally comes out on a Tuesday with tickets going on sale Wednesday. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the announcement will be somewhere within the next two weeks, on a Tuesday, with tickets going on sale Wednesday.

Patryn

Judging by the track record of the past two ticket sales for PAX events, the announcement normally comes out on a Tuesday with tickets going on sale Wednesday. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the announcement will be somewhere within the next two weeks, on a Tuesday, with tickets going on sale Wednesday.

PAX East 2014 was the first and only time ticket sales had advance notice?

Patryn

I don't think it did, other than the Robert Koo "soon" rumblings that always happen.

Yeah, there were always signs. The Official PAX Twitter suddenly coming to life, Paxsite.com updating, etc.

But PAX East 2014 was the first time that they came out and said that tickets would be going on sale at this time on this date.

I anticipate that Prime will also have advance notice this year.

I'd be all over it, but I'll be too busy getting married at that time, so the rest of you going: Good luck getting tickets and I'd book my hotels NOW.

Jhoan

Wow. Yeah, I was on 7th as well, room 702. If you heard / saw a guy and his wife laughing and acting a fool, that was us. We seem to have this chemistry that lets us put on live comedy shows.

I was in 707 and I think I did indeed hear a man and a woman passing by our room chatting and laughing. It didn't bother me in the slightest. One of my friends I was with had a tall yellow minion hat on from the Despicable Me movies. We also had a cooler and a sleeping bag among other things. My mind was blown when I learned that Boston cream pie was invented in that hotel.

Here's a few more pics I got from my 3DS:
UZUNkVl.jpg

Green crappy selfie:

Jeff Green putting on his luchador mask before his cue to run up the stage:
AMXzf5C.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
In the airport heading back home. PAX EAST was sooooo much fun. You are all awesome and I definitely look forward to meeting you all again in a future PAX :)

Mully

In the airport heading back home. PAX EAST was sooooo much fun. You are all awesome and I definitely look forward to meeting you all again in a future PAX :)

Glad to have met you. I heard you had a great night yesterday. I'll definitely have to come up and visit Glasgow soon.

Have a safe trip!

SKINNER!

Banned
Glad to have met you. I heard you had a great night yesterday. I'll definitely have to come up and visit Glasgow soon.

Have a safe trip!

I tell ya, I'm never going to forget how incredible my last night in NYC was. Such a great night :D. Thanks buddy. Hope you had fun at Friday night's meet. and hell yeah! Come to Glasgow man and I'll definitely show you around!

Just going through my photos, here's a couple from the PAX EAST meetup post yummy hot pot goodness. Tried to get everyone in during that happy moment but bah, settled for two pics.

Necrovex

I tell ya, I'm never going to forget how incredible my last night in NYC was. Such a great night :D. Thanks buddy. Hope you had fun at Friday night's meet. and hell yeah! Come to Glasgow man and I'll definitely show you around!

Just going through my photos, here's a couple from the PAX EAST meetup post yummy hot pot goodness. Tried to get everyone in during that happy moment but bah, settled for two pics.

That sadness of not being there that night. I am still waiting for RobertM to post pics from the Friday meetup!

Top Bottom