• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex Heroes - [Kickstarter]

HoosTrax

This reminds me a bit of the Republique Kickstarter, where they opened it up to PC/Mac because they wouldn't have reached the goals otherwise. The iOS version of that released last year; PC/Mac version is supposed to release this year but is still TBD...

Basically, the risk of being treated as lower priority and an afterthought would make me reluctant to back this.

PrismaticGames

Neo Member
Hey all,

We've still got big news to announce in the coming days, so stay tuned. Reaching our goal may look bleak at times, but please don't let that stop you from pledging - If everyone thought that, no one would pledge, after all.

@HoosTrax
That's a very valid concern and I'm glad you brought that up. We in no way mean to treat the PC version like an afterthought. While a PC version was indeed brought on to attract more backers, we intend to fully make the game fun on it. We simply adhere to the notion that the Wii U version will be the most natural way to play.

The PC version will still have access to the single player mode the Wii U does in a near identical way. Local play will be a different story, as the PC version will only support up to 3 players. However, if we reach the extended PC support goal, we'll be able to devote more time to implementing not only single player online, but also a framework for achieving up to 5 players on a team, co-op or versus.

Thanks for your support! Spreading the word will make Hex Heroes a reality!

Exile20

New update:

6fe777d2da6d875bab3371bda5d8fe63_large.png

We're very excited about our next cameo reveal. The developers at Frozenbyte have graciously allowed us to feature Zoya from the beautiful Trine games. If you haven't played Trine or Trine 2, you can find both on Steam and Trine 2 on Wii U. They are excellent games to play with friends or tackle solo. And the gamepad is perfect for working out puzzles.

GORGEOUS with a capital "GORGEOUS"
Frozenbyte hails from Finland and has developed two outstanding series: Shadowgrounds and Trine. Their newest game, Splot, will be released on multiple platforms in 2014.

Hang on to your belongings, Heroes, Zoya the thief joins the battle!

That’s all for today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and as always, remember to spread the word!

JDSN

Banned
They have done everything in their power to fix their dumbass mistake, I hope they get funded and maybe great a couple of strech goals.

I might up my donation and buy extra copies for friends on the last day.

I really want this to happen. It seems as crazy and unique as 4 swords on GC and 4 GBAs.

Its almost as ambitious as a new game type. Like a moba.

jholmes

This needs a miracle to happen

Imba Iwata pledging 40k or something

I dunno about a miracle. It's only halfway, but it'll get a big push in the last week and in the last three days, and Kickstarters usually don't get close -- they get funded or they fall short by quite a bit. Plus these guys have some ideas to help get the word out.

But they certainly need more cash at the moment, no doubt about that.

Timeaisis

Really love the idea. Unfortunately, they needed to show more in the trailer. A concept can only get you so far.

Really, really, love the idea, though. So I backed.

Exile20

Grant Kirkhope @grantkirkhope
Follow
AMA Reddit with me and the Hex Heroes gang tonight at 6:00pm PST (2:00am for UK), come and ask daft questions!!!!
2:57 PM - 19 Apr 2014

So, it is around 55.000
.Personally, I never thought that it would gather this sum, so I remain optimistic, that it will meet the great goal in the end of the tunnel.
I just backed it up!

Burt

I'd say it has a decent chance. Kicktraq just does a linear projection and doesn't account for that massive last second Kickstarter push.

PrismaticGames

Neo Member
Burt's right about Kicktraq.

Actually, take a look at Kickspy - they tend to make a prediction in the beginning that ends up being very accurate by the end. Which is weird considering that in the middle of most Kickspy trends, they go off the charts with huge claims of success. Compare and contrast Hex Heroes with other campaigns on Kickspy to see what I mean.

Thank you all for the support! If there are any questions I can answer, I'd be happy to!

Exile20

Burt's right about Kicktraq.

Actually, take a look at Kickspy - they tend to make a prediction in the beginning that ends up being very accurate by the end. Which is weird considering that in the middle of most Kickspy trends, they go off the charts with huge claims of success. Compare and contrast Hex Heroes with other campaigns on Kickspy to see what I mean.

Thank you all for the support! If there are any questions I can answer, I'd be happy to!

What can we do for the final push?

Twitter campaign? Reddit? Etc?

PrismaticGames

Neo Member
What can we do for the final push?

Twitter campaign? Reddit? Etc?

Any and all social networking helps. If you haven't seen, we have a backer referral program in place. If you get 5 friends to enter their Kickstarter account name and your Kickstarter account name (as having referred them) in this survey before backing, you'll get bumped up to the next reward tier! You can keep doing this all the way up to the $250 tier, at which point every 5 referrals nets you another 3D print! You could in theory collect all 8 classes!

Just share this link to get people to refer you - remember to give them your Kickstarter account name too:
http://surveymonkey.com/s/HexHeroes

We've just announced that we're doing a Twitch livestream tomorrow of Banjo-Kazooie from 12pm - 5pm PST. I'm challenging everyone to raise their pledge by $1 for every 10 jiggies I collect (it's been ages since I've played BK and I'm no speedrunner). I'll also be hanging out and chatting with anyone who's there - it'll be really chill :D

@frankie_baby: Scamming is not ideal by any means. Kickstarter has contingencies in place that prevent anyone from backing out of a pledge if it drops the amount raised below it's goal. That kind of move would be very tricky, and the person would have to be willing to part with that money in the event that we do end up needing it.

We have added some more high level rewards though - especially for budding artists looking to get into the game development scene.

Nilaul

Will hex heroes have a level editor?

Wheres the official Reddit thread?

I hope it can get to 100,000 at-least.

Any and all social networking helps. If you haven't seen, we have a backer referral program in place. If you get 5 friends to enter their Kickstarter account name and your Kickstarter account name (as having referred them) in this survey before backing, you'll get bumped up to the next reward tier! You can keep doing this all the way up to the $250 tier, at which point every 5 referrals nets you another 3D print! You could in theory collect all 8 classes!

Just share this link to get people to refer you - remember to give them your Kickstarter account name too:
http://surveymonkey.com/s/HexHeroes

We've just announced that we're doing a Twitch livestream tomorrow of Banjo-Kazooie from 12pm - 5pm PST. I'm challenging everyone to raise their pledge by $1 for every 10 jiggies I collect (it's been ages since I've played BK and I'm no speedrunner). I'll also be hanging out and chatting with anyone who's there - it'll be really chill :D

@frankie_baby: Scamming is not ideal by any means. Kickstarter has contingencies in place that prevent anyone from backing out of a pledge if it drops the amount raised below it's goal. That kind of move would be very tricky, and the person would have to be willing to part with that money in the event that we do end up needing it.

We have added some more high level rewards though - especially for budding artists looking to get into the game development scene.

I wasn't being entirely serious though there are ways it could be done, won't mention any more thoug, I am rather broke but will try see if I can afford to put a pledge in myself

Seth

Wonder what the odds are this gets online multiplayer later down the road if it doesn't hit the stretch goal... Like if it sells well enough to get DLC.

PrismaticGames

Neo Member
@Nilaul

There will be an in house level editor that we use. Making it available to gamers is a stretch goal we haven't yet revealed.

There's no official Reddit thread, just a lot of fan created ones that see good attention and then slowly fade as is normal

@Seth

If the campaign is a success, we'll be implementing Paypal so that we can continue raising funds and hitting stretch goals (we'll still honor most reward tiers too).

The way we designed the campaign, was taking the initial game I had envisioned, and stripping it down to a more affordable and realistic goal. So the features that ended up becoming stretch goals are ones I am really attached to - if we can (within our budget) we'll be developing as much of the original vision as possible, whether or not we reached the stretch goals. Reaching stretch goals just guarantees their inclusion.

By the way, it should be noted, that the campaign was also designed with very little overhead in place. Meaning that the stretch goals really are priced at about what it costs - we're not gaining that much profit. This is something I really wanted to do because I wanted us to reach as many stretch goals as possible. It's more important to me that we get to make the game I want to see and that I know people will love than it is to make profit off exploiting unrealistic stretch goal bars.

AaronB

I always thought this game had incredible potential but was getting concerned about the odds of succeeding in the kickstarter campaign, since the goal is fairly high for a Wii U/PC only game. Seeing the steady progress, though, I'm pretty sure it will make it. If I weren't so broke I'd have increased my pledge already, but if it comes down to the wire and still needs a bit more, I'll move up and many other backers probably will too. That soundtrack is awfully tempting.

This would be the second successful kickstarter I supported, since I backed Earthlock: Festival of Magic just a little while ago. That one came down to the last couple of days too, but wound up actually hit a few stretch goals at the last minute. I hope that happens here as well.

PrismaticGames

Neo Member
Thank you all for the support. The way everyone has come together is very touching. If you're interested, we've gotten a lot off our chest about the campaign here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChristopherJennewein/20140419/215756/Are_Innovative_Games_Too_Risky_for_Kickstarter.php

We also write some opinion pieces on our blog, if you care to read. The latest post debunks the notion of Valve being considered the "Pixar of gaming".

http://prismatic-games.com/blog/

Got to agree with what you said in your blog

Jamix012

I really hope this gets funded. I'm a $45 dollar backer and really would love to play this with my friends on the Wii U. I love asynchronous gameplay and this is a brilliant idea. +grumps? Hell yeah. I'll pledge a little more, but as a student, I'm a little short for cash.

Top Bottom