• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Midna is still the greatest tragedy of the Zelda series in Smash. She totally should have made playable from the Brawl days. Then again, she'd be a walking spoiler in one form or limited to being a part of a "Wolf Link" and that'd be pretty resource intensive I'd imagine.
I mean, the game ends with her disappearing forever. She's the very definition of a one-shot. Not a great pick for a game like Smash.

Linkhero1

He was a stage hazard in Melee and an AT in Brawl.

Was he? I haven't played with AT on in a while. I honestly don't remember.

Yep, He's AT in Brawl so that's why I'm surprised that they didn't shown Tingle in Assist Trophy showcase, unless they are considering to make him playable character to spite many haters in western :p

I wouldn't mind him playable. Do people really dislike Tingle? I think he's hilarious.

Nezzhil

Yep, He's AT in Brawl so that's why I'm surprised that they didn't shown Tingle in Assist Trophy showcase, unless they are considering to make him playable character to spite many haters in western :p

Playable Tingle would be so awesome
I have the DS game. So much fun.
. But first thet have to remade Ganondorf moveset.

Toxi

Banned
I wonder if the balance in Smash 4 will be even worse than Brawl's.
Why do people call Wolf a villain again (in the "we need a hero/sidekick/villain trio pattern" mentality)? Even if you only play 64 he is explicitly stated as just a merc for hire.
He is covered in spikes. Spikes = villain.

More Zelda? or More Zelda characters? At least, we haven't seen Tingle as Assist Trophy so? :p

I'd love more Zelda characters, but I'm not entirely sure who I'd want. A lot of the Zelda characters I'd want were one time characters which Smash has never done for Zelda. I also fear that if a one time character, like Ghirahim or Demise, got in they would be removed in Smash 5.
I guess I am kinda assuming that Ghirahim and Demise won't show up in Zelda again, but the game made it feel that way even though I guess it isn't impossible.

Toxi

Banned
Tingle seems like a god choice for another Zelda character. He's had a ton of appearances and even a few spinoff games of his own.

The only other Zelda character who's got that much clout is... Impa? Maybe pig Ganon if you make him separate from human Ganondorf.

I wouldn't mind him playable. Do people really dislike Tingle? I think he's hilarious.

So much so that Nintendo decided to not release his DS game in the US, only Japan and Europe. A lot of people hate him because of "ermahgerd hes ghei". Despite the fact Tingle is actually quite the pimp with the ladies.

If we get Tingle as a newcomer and Ganondorf remains a clone I'll be furious

Based on what Sakurai has been doing with this game...I highly highly doubt Ganon will be a clone. He'll be in the game, and he's going to receive some good treatment, I'd wager. Look at Zero Suit Samus as an example.

Based on what Sakurai has been doing with this game...I highly highly doubt Ganon will be a clone. He'll be in the game, and he's going to receive some good treatment, I'd wager. Look at Zero Suit Samus as an example.

Except ZSS always had a unique moveset, the better comparison would be toon link and we haven't seen much to see how he's diversified them besides how they already were in Brawl

Was he? I haven't played with AT on in a while. I honestly don't remember.

I used to be anti-Tingle. I'm not sure why haha but now with some of the one-title characters from the series that are highly suggested to join, I wouldn't mind seeing him or Tetra as potential Zelda reps.

I really agree with this. He is tearing movesets apart when he needs to, literally. Almost everyone has gotten good changes so far.

I think Ganondorf will he further decloned if not original moveset.

NeonZ

I don't see Tingle making it. He was much more relevant back during the Melee -> Brawl period, and yet he was still ignored by Smash. It'd be really odd to see him getting focus now. I wonder if Toon Ganondorf could work as a costume for Ganondorf? Or are the proportions too incompatible? He'd get a new model anyway though so they could tweak them...

I guess I am kinda assuming that Ghirahim and Demise won't show up in Zelda again, but the game made it feel that way even though I guess it isn't impossible.

I think Ghirahim was definitely a one shot, but Demise was clearly set up as something bigger, considering how it's implied that it's his hatred that brings about Ganondorf. I think the biggest thing against Demise reappearing is just Skyward Sword's low sales, but even Wind Waker got follow ups, and Skyward Sword did better than it, so I might be mistaken.

Midna is still the greatest tragedy of the Zelda series in Smash. She totally should have made playable from the Brawl days. Then again, she'd be a walking spoiler in one form or limited to being a part of a "Wolf Link" and that'd be pretty resource intensive I'd imagine.

OoT Zelda with sheik transformation
\

I don't see Tingle making it. He was much more relevant back during the Melee -> Brawl period, and yet he was still ignored by Smash. It'd be really odd to see him getting focus now. I wonder if Toon Ganondorf could work as a costume for Ganondorf? Or are the proportions too incompatible? He'd get a new mode anyway though...

I think Ghirahim was definitely a one shot, but Demise was clearly set up as something bigger, considering how it's implied that it's his hatred that brings about Ganondorf. I think the biggest thing against Demise reappearing is just Skyward Sword's low sales, but even Wind Waker got follow ups, and Skyward Sword did better than it, so I might be mistaken.
I think Demise was simply made to explain why Ganon keeps coming back.
Also as far as I know Wind Waker sold really well while Skyward Sword sold less but still well.

Thorakai

I just wanted to pop in and say I hope Villager's alternate costumes are more exciting than the default. Compared to all the fun clothing, hats, and accessories you can wear in Animal Crossing, the red No. 1 shirt is pretty bland. I also demand we get high-face Villager as an alternate costume choice.

NeonZ

I think Demise was simply made to explain why Ganon keeps coming back.
Also as far as I know Wind Waker sold really well while Skyward Sword sold less but still well.

Nevermind, you're right. Wind Waker sold more than Skyward Sword, I guess I must have been thinking about Majora's Mask vs Skyward Sword.

NES The Legend of Zelda 6.510.000
NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.380.000
SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.610.000
GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.830.000
N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.600.000
N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.360.000
GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons 3.990.000
GCN The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.420.000
GCN The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
GBA The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap 1.760.000
GCN The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 1.320.000
WII The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 7.070.000
NDS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 4.750.000
NDS The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks 2.930.000
WII The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 3.590.000

GBC The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.220.000
GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords 2.720.000
3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 2.950.000

WII Link's Crossbow Training (packaged with Wii Zapper) 5.780.000
(Numbers from 08/2013)

I just wanted to pop in and say I hope Villager's alternate costumes are more exciting than the default. Compared to all the fun clothing, hats, and accessories you can wear in Animal Crossing, the red No. 1 shirt is pretty bland. I also demand we get high-face Villager as an alternate costume choice.

Thinking about it... couldn't Mii just be an alternate costume for the Villager? Using the Mii's head is a feature in New Leaf, after all. It could explain why the Find Mii stage has a crown symbol, rather than something actually Mii related. The villager also seems to have some moves that reference other games, like boxing gloves. So, you'd have a "Mii" character like the initial leak said, without an actual character made just to represent the Mii.

Nevermind, you're right. Wind Waker sold more than Skyward Sword, I guess I must have been thinking about Majora's Mask vs Skyward Sword.

(Numbers form 08/2013)

4.4 and 3.6 are both really good numbers, especially considering the hate Wind Waker got for its art style as well as being on the Gamecube of all systems and Skyward Sword was a core game based entirely around motion controls when the Wii was dead and most core gamers wanted nothing to do with motion controls. Both games' sales line up with the rest of the series, it's just that Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess skewed a lot of people's perception of how well Zelda does.
And the best Zelda, hands down. I really love that Sakurai kept the Zelda,Link design from TP.

ew

Terrell

So if Kirby was human he'd be some buff guy huh?

I need someone to illustrate that.

After seeing that Elecman AT I just want Nintendo to buy the Megaman IP.

It's been a topic of discussion for a long time now, it's just a shame that most of that talk gets ridiculed in favor of nearly anything else. Seems some people would prefer that Megaman continue to be abused rather than let Nintendo do right by the IP.

also isn't Command not canon

One can only hope. The real tragedy is how Fox's Smash character model is still based off that TERRIBLE design in Command. Seriously, god awful.

Qurupeke

Let's not bring in best and worst Zelda games into this thread. It'll definitely become a shitstorm. I should know. ;)
My bad sorry, but my love for that game can't be helped. lol Anyway, as I said, the fact that TP's is back is really interesting. They updated Samus with the Other M look, but not him. And while the differences aren't great, on Zelda's case she is an entirely different character.

Ala Alba

And the best Zelda, hands down. I really love that Sakurai kept the Zelda,Link design from TP.

While you are entitled to your opinion about the game's overall quality, that game's portrayal of Zelda was quite possibly the worst of all official Zelda games (and her design is pretty boring, too).

My bad sorry, but my love for that game can't be helped. lol Anyway, as I said, the fact that TP's is back is really interesting. They updated Samus with the Other M look, but not him. And while the differences aren't great, on Zelda's case she is an entirely different character.

It is odd especially since just a few edits to the current model would make him the Skyward Sword Link. I think they could have done it for 1 of 3 reasons

1.They didn't want to use Skyward Sword Zelda and they wanted all the Zelda characters to match(except Toon Link obviously.)
2.The Zelda U designs are the same as Twilight Princess
3.The Twilight Princess designs are alts and the Zelda U costume will be revealed at E3(or the Zelda U design is an alt, either way doesn't really matter)
While you are entitled to your opinion about the game's overall quality, that game's portrayal of Zelda was quite possibly the worst of all official Zelda games (and her design is pretty boring, too).

Worse than being LITERALLY NOTHING in all the Zelda games before OoT(and even in that game she is practically nothing, hell she didn't get a good portrayal until Wind Waker)? See wasn't terrible, just not great. Also I liked her design in that game.

GAMERG0D

They've always used a new design for a new Zelda game. Unless if Zelda U is a direct sequel to TP which I don't think will happen. The next game should be a sequel to SS, but this is getting a little off-topic.
just like all of Smash weekend :p

How does reflecting work in Smash games? Seeing ZSS do that to the Gordo makes me wonder. In Brawl it seems like certain attacks can do that while others can't. Is it based on percentage or what?

Qurupeke

I disagree. In most of the iterations of Zelda she was a maid in need. The Ocarina of Time one is quite different and imho, the greatest, but it is dated now. TP Zelda is actually a reboot to her character. Cold and majestic.

R0ckman

That's not nearly the same. He didn't post the picture and then leave things open regarding Ganondorf using his sword or not. In fact, the Ganondorf update was post release. And it says that he doesn't use it anyway.

You have to be joking. Seriously. Did you not see all the pre-brawl give him his sword topics and comments? He gave the fans what they wanted right? Ridley in Smash and in battle? Sure! Surprise! Its still trolling with bad results.

Azure J

Honestly, I'm one of those hopeless Windwaker fans, but I will always respect TP for having some of the best dungeons in the series thus far. TP's character designs were great but it's funny how adding a bit more color vibrancy made them much much better versus their original look.

One can only hope. The real tragedy is how Fox's Smash character model is still based off that TERRIBLE design in Command. Seriously, god awful.

See, I love the N64 era Fox and crew like everyone else, but as of Smash 4, the hybridized Command look that's used for Fox's render is the best look he's ever had. There's still a ways to go before that design can be done 1:1 in an actual game though going based off of the screens and comparing it to the render, but that'll come with time.

I disagree. In most of the iterations of Zelda she was a maid in need. The Ocarina of Time one is quite different and imho, the greatest, but it is dated now. TP Zelda is actually a reboot to her character. Cold and majestic.

I would not describe her as majestic... she also doesn't really do much more than older Zeldas, the only thing she really did before you have to rescue her was in a cutscene when Hyrule Castle got taken over, and even there she doesn't do anything but drop a sword.

I would not describe her as majestic... she also doesn't really do much more than older Zeldas, the only thing she really did before you have to rescue her was in a cutscene when Hyrule Castle got taken over, and even there she doesn't do anything but drop a sword.
Yeah, TP is about Link and Midna, not Zelda. She's barely in the game at all, you could replace her with a generic king and there'd be no change in story.

I would also say WW Zelda's the best one, but the Spirit Tracks one is great as well. She wasn't bad in OoT or SS either I guess.

It's based on it, sure, but it is far from the same.
Fox_Command.png

main.png

Terrell

So speaking of Zelda, I hope they tweak her move set a bit more than what we've already been shown. Personally, I liked the explosion at the end of Farore's Wind, but I'd like them to add a component where she can drag an opponent with her if she uses it next to them, similar to how you would use a throw.

See, I love the N64 era Fox and crew like everyone else, but as of Smash 4, the hybridized Command look that's used for Fox's render is the best look he's ever had. There's still a ways to go before that design can be done 1:1 in an actual game though going based off of the screens and comparing it to the render, but that'll come with time.

Nah, I much preferred the character design in Assault, aside from the clothes. The clothes were bad, but the facial model was 100%.

It's based on it, sure, but it is far from the same.

He looks like a Sesame Street Muppet in his current design.

Top Bottom