• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereal

I feel like matchmaking would be a much smoother process if they just hid the regeneration icons. All it does is run people off and make it take longer to get into a match.

I'd much rather have faster matchmaking than epeen status.

tauke

I feel like matchmaking would be a much smoother process if they just hid the regeneration icons. All it does is run people off and make it take longer to get into a match.

I'd much rather have faster matchmaking than epeen status.

I once saw an opponent team of 5 players of Gen 9 and I'm the only regen players on my side (but most of them level 30 above).

As the countdown trickles down to 10 secs, slowly all my team members just bail out lol. I agree with you that Respawn should hide it in the lobby. Let the player choose to view their profile to see their gen level. :(

Because I have to completely modify my style of play to accommodate the Challenges, which really isn't all that fun (I want to play the game the way I want to play the game).

At the same time, I also feel inherently compelled to work my way up through the levels and reset, because I'm so used to it in Call of Duty. I'm really not interested in hitting the max level and staying there, I like working my way back up, it's fun.

So, fuck me.

Basically, they had it right the first time, in Call of Duty 4, and the Challenges don't make it any better, they only make it SO MUCH FUCKING WORSE.

Prestige and generations, etc should be an indicator of skill in different areas of the game and the game in general.

Not just "hey look I have too much time on my hands".

Argonomic

All I have left to say, is that for a game that holds the ideal of "Fun" as a core tenet, Regeneration Challenges are not fun. Just tedious.

Regen challenges were one of the final touches. They exist because of the variety of unlocks you have across pilots and titans.

Having access to a wide variety of gear is more important in TF due to that variety, so we wanted to get you to 50 faster, hence the increased leveling speed.

The regen challenges were added as a way to balance out the increased speed. They test you on various elements of the game, to make sure you give everything a fair shot.

It is a bit frustrating that the regen challenges have become such a point of contention.

Which challenge are you stuck on?

antitrop

Prestige and generations, etc should be an indicator of skill in different areas of the game and the game in general.

Not just "hey look I have too much time on my hands".

Challenges don't take skill, they're just tedious time-sinks.

I just disagree completely. That's really all they say: How long you've been playing the game. They're no real indicator of skill.

Roflobear

Cloak, how does it work

iblYVyD513DlNS.gif

Just shoot or punch at the flaming boots!

It's such a good feeling when that happens. This was my best one:

ibvuQndcNZFVfg.gif

antitrop

It is a bit frustrating that the regen challenges have become such a point of contention.

Which challenge are you stuck on?

Charge Rifle Crits. I even went into the Campaign with a friend to boost them. I would Rodeo and he would take down the shields, but none of the Crits were registering. I wasted an hour.

It was on Atlases, too. (Apparently you can't Rodeo crit Ogres or Stryders?)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
you have some strange logic.

i just ignore the challenges entirely, play how i want - and i'm finally hitting top 3 in all games after ~3 weeks of playing ~3 hours a week.

That's really not that crazy.

Part of the fun is progression.

He hasn't made what feels like progress since 2 weeks after the game came out.

Every second where you're not making progress with your level/unlocks feels like time wasted because if you just had those challenges completed, you could be further along. It makes playing at 50 less fulfilling because you know "If I would just finish these challenges I could be progressing again."

It changes the dynamic from "I'm going to just play Titanfall and have fun progressing/unlocking things as I go!" to "I need to complete these challenges so I can continue to progress."

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Charge Rifle Crits. I even went into the Campaign with a friend to boost them. I would Rodeo and he would take down the shields, but none of the Crits were registering. I wasted an hour.

It was on Atlases, too. (Apparently you can't Rodeo crit Ogres or Stryders?)

If you're rodeoing for criticals you are doing it wrong. Attack from a distance when shields are down. Arc grenades help, 2 of them brings a shield down. Atlas titans are easier to crit since their red spots are bigger.

I've posted my username a few times in here for Origin, but have never received a friend request. Am I posting in wrong place?

Seither2k

Add me so we can kill things! I love Atrition and Hardpoint.

Roflobear

Can you even use an anti-Titan weapon like the Charge Rifle when you're rodeoing without dying? For me, all I did was stand at the edge of Titan-on-Titan battles, wait for someone's shields to go down, then just aim really carefully.

I've posted my username a few times in here for Origin, but have never received a friend request. Am I posting in wrong place?

Seither2k

Add me so we can kill things! I love Atrition and Hardpoint.

I'd do it if I had the game on Origin =\

antitrop

Can you even use an anti-Titan weapon like the Charge Rifle when you're rodeoing without dying? For me, all I did was stand at the edge of Titan-on-Titan battles, wait for someone's shields to go down, then just aim really carefully.

The Charge Rifle is the only one you can use while rodeoing without killing yourself.

I would rather not play the game at all.

it's even more annoying when you get a group of gen somethings that are blatantly just trying to do challenges and not even paying attention to the game at hand. Your team just gets demolished because you have a party of 3-4 all just cooperating about finishing their challenges and ignoring the rest of the team in their own little world.

It's fucking infuriating. Who the fuck thought challenges that force you play selfishly in a fucking team game in where cooperation is really important was a good idea? The game needs a chatwheel like in DOTA 2 and GET RID OF THE FUCKING REGEN CHALLENGES. It literally ruins matches so some dipshit can hang back and just use satchels the entire game or some shit titan weapon.

Roflobear

The Charge Rifle is the only one you can use while rodeoing without killing yourself.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. But yea like Applesauce said, that spot you shoot when you're rodeoing isn't the critical hit spot. The critical hit spot glows red when the Titan's shields are down

It's fucking infuriating. Who the fuck thought challenges that force you play selfishly in a fucking team game in where cooperation is really important was a good idea? The game needs a chatwheel like in DOTA 2 and GET RID OF THE FUCKING REGEN CHALLENGES. It literally ruins matches so some dipshit can hang back and just use satchels the entire game or some shit titan weapon.
This times a million. Gaining experience to rank up is a large fun of playing this game. And so is using the weapons I want and having a damn good time. But with the Gen challenges, it is one or the other. You want to use weapons you hate to continue the fun of ranking up? Or you wanna use your own weapons and lose the fun of gaining experience and ranking up?

I really do appreciate the idea of challenges to Gen up. It never hurts to try something. Now I'd be proud if they had the balls to take it out. Hell, even release a poll to the entire community to see who would be against removing it. I bet not many would vote against.

Roflobear

it's even more annoying when you get a group of gen somethings that are blatantly just trying to do challenges and not even paying attention to the game at hand. Your team just gets demolished because you have a party of 3-4 all just cooperating about finishing their challenges and ignoring the rest of the team in their own little world.

Yea I completely agree. I figured I wouldn't care once I got to Gen 10 but then I realized all my teammates would probably still be playing selfishly anyway. I think this is like the one area COD has Titanfall beat

yeah and these clowns are talking about competitive match making? Are these challenges gonna be in those matches? Probably not as no one can be that dumb, but get rid of em anyway! Fuck stupid in-game challenges in multiplayer games. Fucking side effect of the achievement whoring of last gen.

Surprised so many people are complaining about regen challenges.. Like.. "I want to play the game and have fun and play my style!" Then.. why even bother with the stupid regen mechanic anyway, just play the game and have fun. "But sitting at level 50 isn't fun." Okay, then do the challenges.

I think the regen challenges serve a point, they got me to use guns that I wouldn't have otherwise used and I learned new strategies and play styles because of them. Once I hit a regen challenge that I don't think that I could reasonably achieve, I'll probably just sit at 50 until I decide to go after it.

Nobody ever saw anybody play selfishly in CoD? I specifically remember the plant the bomb / defusal mode, your teammates would scream at you when you'd plant the bomb, because most of the people who played that mode just played it because it was the fastest way to get XP. Or, the people in domination who would never capture or defend any points, but would have sniper wars in some far off region of the map.

antitrop

I'm glad I don't give a shit about player level, prestige, challenges or whatever. :)

You're also a robot jacked directly into the Titanfall Matrix. I've never seen anyone else as good at the game as you are. I've played with cheaters that didn't have your scores.

Am_I_Evil

they really gotta figure out this match making...I got thrown into a game and saw "defeated" immediately....

really?

why even put me in there? how does that make any sense (it wasn't a close game that could have gone any direction)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
they really gotta figure out this match making...I got thrown into a game and saw "defeated" immediately....

really?

why even put me in there? how does that make any sense (it wasn't a close game that could have gone any direction)

That's really funny.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This game does not get old. Love it. Dont thin Ill buy the season pass unless it's something more than just maps though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I'm glad I don't give a shit about player level, prestige, challenges or whatever. :)

Same here. I don't give a crap about regen. I did it once, that was enough. No need to start over and go through some ridiculous challenges. I am enjoying the hell out of the game.

no one said people dont play selfishly in games regardless of challenges, but to have a system in the game that actively pushes you to do certain things that don't mesh with the flow of a typical game at all then yeah its annoying. Of course youre still gonna get people that play hardpoint and still playing for nothing else but their KD/R, but whatever.

Obscured

Want to address my point about it forcing you to get better with various weapons, and by extension, the game?

I was initially feeling kind of like others that it pushed you to play outside the way you want to, but I didn't have a strong aversion to it. After going through a few gens I am leaning more toward this sentiment. I've found I'm trying out more aspects of the game I wouldn't have and also noticing more how others are playing in games and then mimicking their style where it works better than what I'm doing.

I've found so far that the challenges are pushing out of my comfort zone as opposed to changing my play-style in a negative way. But then again I always try to make sure I'm playing the objective of the current match even while trying for the various challenges.

Not that others don't have a point, but in practice I'm finding it is working out better than I would have thought. I haven't played a match yet where it felt like my team lost because someone was focusing on a particular challenge.

TrueGrime

But then again I always try to make sure I'm playing the objective of the current match even while trying for the various challenges.

1 out of 20 players will be able to shoulder the burden of their challenges while also playing the objectives. The other 19 will invariably bring your team down until it results in a loss.

I don't buy the "it forces you to use other weapons argument". I play how I want to play, with what I like playing with, in order to win. And I'm good at it. There are some weapons I have no wish in using. Ever. The DMR is one of them. All it is forcing you to do is "focus on the challenge while ignoring your objectives" at the expensive of the other people on your team busting their ass to win the game.

antitrop

Want to address my point about it forcing you to get better with various weapons, and by extension, the game?

Getting better at the Hemlock doesn't matter, when I'm just going to go back to using the R-101C after the Challenge is over.

You're only as good as your proficiency with your preferred loadout. Everything else is superfluous.

Argonomic

The bottom line is that the Prestige system was something that wasn't broken, but they decided to fix it anyway.

That is not really true. We tried traditional prestige and found it did not work as well in Titanfall as it did in the past. The Titanfall unlocks are very dissimilar from each other, so even late in the progression you're unlocking new stuff. An LMG at 39, a one shot kill sniper at 44, Big Punch at 41, Guardian Chip at 49.

Not that it wouldn't work at all, it just doesn't work as well as in games that have have fewer weapon archetypes and multiple weapons in each archetype.

FyreWulff

no one said people dont play selfishly in games regardless of challenges, but to have a system in the game that actively pushes you to do certain things that don't mesh with the flow of a typical game at all then yeah its annoying. Of course youre still gonna get people that play hardpoint and still playing for nothing else but their KD/R, but whatever.

I guess these developers will never let go of stupid match-harming meta-requirements. Just let players play the game, instead of ruining matches when people are trying to grind achievements or challenges.

"Get the flag"

"Nah, I'm punching the defenders with my titan so i can get a slightly different shooty gun that was made entirely in service to the unlock system"

antitrop

That is not really true. We tried traditional prestige and found it did not work as well in Titanfall as it did in the past. The Titanfall unlocks are very dissimilar from each other, so even late in the progression you're unlocking new stuff. An LMG at 39, a one shot kill sniper at 44, Big Punch at 41, Guardian Chip at 49.

Not that it wouldn't work at all, it just doesn't work as well as in games that have have fewer weapon archetypes and multiple weapons in each archetype.
Now this I absolutely understand, but I still feel like there has to be a better way. 20 Generations, with no challenges?

I do like the fact that you level up in TF much, much faster than CoD.

Sean

Banned
All I have left to say, is that for a game that holds the ideal of "Fun" as a core tenet, Regeneration Challenges are not fun. Just tedious.

Yeah I'm really hating the regeneration challenges right now. Stuck on the gooser challenge where I can't seem to get even a single one cause barely anyone ejects from their titan.

I think a decent solution would be to give the player 7 or 8 challenges but only require them to complete 5 in order to progress/regenerate.

TrueGrime

Yeah I'm really hating the regeneration challenges right now. Stuck on the gooser challenge where I can't seem to get even a single one cause barely anyone ejects from their titan.

I think a decent solution would be to give the player 7 or 8 challenges but only require them to complete 5 in order to progress/regenerate.

Or let it be progressive through the gens. If you want to have people do 50 plasma rifle kills then fine. 10 for one generation, 10 again for another, 10 for another. 50 for one gen for a weapon that relies on stealing titan kills from your teammates and just dumb luck at times is not fun at all.

6. I've been Generation 4 Level 50 since about 2 weeks after the game came out. Yeah, I'm fucking frustrated.
6? I just got 4 in one round without even really trying. You're either glitched or really doing something wrong. I've played a little bit with you and I know your skill level is there.

It's pretty much just statistics, if a Titan is moving just track him and try to hit in the middle, a certain percentage of shots will give you that oh-so-satisfying red hitmarker. If a Titan starts taking an interest in you, cloak and find a new angle.

Getting better at the Hemlock doesn't matter, when I'm just going to go back to using the R-101C after the Challenge is over.

You're only as good as your proficiency with your preferred loadout. Everything else is superfluous.
That's debatable, if nothing else being proficient with everything in the game gives you more insight into the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents' loadouts which will help you even when you go back to ol' reliable. Finding one loadout that suits you and using only that and only trying your very hardest to win by the largest margin every single match seems like a sad way to play a video game to me.

I think aside from the Gooser thing and the goofiness of Brain Surgeon not counting if you doom a Titan, hop off, and then have someone else score a hit on it, they did a great job with the challenges. A couple of them are probably a little more of a grind than they need to be, but overall they accomplish what they set out to do, getting people to give something other than carbine/40mm all day long a chance.

antitrop

Titanfall is a game that does so much to mitigate frustration (Burn Cards, Titans providing longer lives, Dropship evac, etc) that the Challenges just seem so in contrast to the rest of the game design.

"Just don't worry about them" isn't good enough, either, because if they're gonna be in the game, they should be properly balanced.

99% of the Challenges are piss easy, they just need to fix the ones that are causing problems. The curve isn't actually a curve at all, it's a brick wall.

Septic360

Banned

Up until recently, I didn't even realise each Gen had its own challenges (I'm gen 2 and tried regenerating only to find that I had these challenges to complete).

I'm loving it though. I kinda needed an excuse to take me away from my preferred class.

For people saying it's pointless because you'll go back to your preferred class, that's not true. Firstly, you might actually give a weapon a chance now that you hAve no choice but to use it and secondly, now that I better understand how the weapon works, if I do go back to my old class, I'll know the advantages and disadvantages of the other weapons if other classes are using them.

To me also, it's interesting because a Gen actually means something. I'll know that this guy got X number of kills with this weapon, or completed a certain challenge etc. Otherwise, a gen is nothing more than just a sign of someone who played a lot and less about skill or 'real experience'.

tauke

Left two more Brain Surgeon and I can say goodbye to Gen 6. Hate it when someone took the last shot to kill the poor titan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom