• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyan (Creators of Myst & Riven) launch Kickstarter for a new game: Obduction

inm8num2

I think they'll hit their goal with 5-6 days left and maybe get a final surge to a stretch goal. We'll see...somewhere around $1.2-1.3 million seems to be the ceiling.

prag16

Banned
I think they'll hit their goal with 5-6 days left and maybe get a final surge to a stretch goal. We'll see...somewhere around $1.2-1.3 million seems to be the ceiling.
Think so? That curve has really flattened out. It definitely has a good chance but it may come down to the wire.

~Kinggi~

Banned
These guys have not handled the updates well if they were hoping for some big stretches. Unfortunate. I mean i can see they want to keep spoilers down given the nature of their games but i think they would really benefit from showing some more art or something.

Im still backing cause i know the amazing potential but i feel they could have got more with better updates.

6 days remain and a little over $200k left to go! About time for that final push! ...Which will happen, right? Right?

I want this game so bad. :(

The final spike will come in the last two or three days, but we should be seeing a ramp up to that point over the next few days. Indeed, looking at KickTraq it seems that's already started.

My worry at this point is that we may not make many if any stretch goals, which would be a shame especially the lack of Oculus Rift. A game like this would be the second best use for it I can think of, next to Star Citizen and other space/flight sims. I also have concerns over if just the 1.1mil will be enough period; I hope Cyan knows what they're doing and have budgeted appropriately already. A Double Fine scenario where they run out of money mid-production would be a shame. Considering the cost of the engine I have a feeling that they're putting their own money into the project as well, so this 1.1mil won't represent the entire budget.

Mifune

Mehmber
Now they're cooking with gas.

1.01 million with 3 days to go!

EDIT: Apparently Neil Patrick Harris tweeted about it a couple hours ago and funding went boom.

TheExodu5

Banned
I realy hope it makes the stretch goal. My most wanted project for the Rift is a Riven remake...this is pretty much the next best thing.

d0g_bear

The game will probably support the rift even if they don't make that stretch goal. It's not like it costs two hundred thousand dollars to do it. Unreal engine 4 already natively supports it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I wonder if I will have a narrow window where I will get paid before this ends so I can get a boxed copy...

MrBig

The game will probably support the rift even if they don't make that stretch goal. It's not like it costs two hundred thousand dollars to do it. Unreal engine 4 already natively supports it.

Supporting the OR isn't as straight forward as flipping a switch, real support for it requires adhering to design philosophies appropriate to providing a compelling VR experience. If the game isn't built with VR in mind, even with it having perfect support for it, it's going to feel bad playing it with the rift (see HL2/TF2/any current game updated to support the rift natively).

That's not to say that they aren't just using the Rift as a stretch goal to get more money and they do plan on supporting it fully, though, and the confusion is why I haven't donated to this project even while being quite interested in the concept.

Supporting the OR isn't as straight forward as flipping a switch, real support for it requires adhering to design philosophies appropriate to providing a compelling VR experience. If the game isn't built with VR in mind, even with it having perfect support for it, it's going to feel bad playing it with the rift (see HL2/TF2/any current game updated to support the rift natively).

That's not to say that they aren't just using the Rift as a stretch goal to get more money and they do plan on supporting it fully, though, and the confusion is why I haven't donated to this project even while being quite interested in the concept.

Plus there are quality considerations. The Rift is a unique device that needs time and attention dedicated to it to get the most out of it. Bugs could crop up, functionality issues coulda arise and, ultimately, they need a bum on a seat working for a period of time on OR-related tasks that needs budgeting and planning for.

It's an area they can cut for the benefit of the game on a limited budget, so I assume that's why it's a stretch goal.

In short: video games are expensive.

Atrophis

Fantastic. Give me new Cyan game. Gimmie, gimmie. Was expecting it to hit target on the last day and not reach the first stretch but maybe, just maybe we will get Oculus support.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol, the celebration video was funny. Rand is so awesome.

Edit: They also just added another goal - An Additional World and something we’re calling Roadtrip Mode - at $1.7 million!

Eh doubt they will make that, but crazy things happen on KS.

Psykoboy2

Lol, the celebration video was funny. Rand is so awesome.

Edit: They also just added another goal - An Additional World and something we’re calling Roadtrip Mode - at $1.7 million!

Eh doubt they will make that, but crazy things happen on KS.

I think the paypal option will stay open long after the KS has ended so they could make it from that, possibly.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Backed it.

Give me another experience like Riven (sans the marble puzzle) and I'll be happy.

inm8num2

I think they can hit $1.2 or $1.3 million, but not much more. Things will inevitably slow down, there will be a period where it looks like the campaign will miss its mark, then in the last 8 days or so there will be a surge.

$1.28m with 8 hours left. They could hit around $1.35 or so.

(Sorry for self-congratulatory circle jerk on my prediction at the beginning. After awhile the trends of most of these projects seem to be very similar.)

Zoc

So it's funded. I'm glad of that, because I wanted to buy it but didn't want to fund the kickstarter.

owasog

Too bad they didn't reach that Extra World goal. I'm not interested in Oculus Rift support, at all.

En Ex, I don't think it will be quite the spectacle Riven was. Cyan is a pretty small team nowadays and Rand Miller said it would be more Myst-sized. Still, I'm really curious what Cyan can do with UE4, so I backed it.

prag16

Banned
Too bad they didn't reach that Extra World goal. I'm not interested in Oculus Rift support, at all.

En Ex, I don't think it will be quite the spectacle Riven was. Cyan is a pretty small team nowadays and Rand Miller said it would be more Myst-sized. Still, I'm really curious what Cyan can do with UE4, so I backed it.

Yeah, definitely sounds like it won't be nearly as large as Riven. But that's fine. Based on the reward tiers I doubt this will be a full priced game. I threw in $25 on paypal after the kickstarter ended. October 2015??? Geez. Looking forward to it.

Psykoboy2

I have another interview with Rand coming up on Thursday (we'll play the interview on the show Saturday night) to talk about the progress so far with Obduction - but I'm sure we'll talk about Myst some more.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions they want me to pass along just leave them here and I'll ask him during the interview this week.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Didn't see this post till now, so super-late reply: yeah, you're probably right. But if it turns out well, I'll take it anyway.

I have another interview with Rand coming up on Thursday (we'll play the interview on the show Saturday night) to talk about the progress so far with Obduction - but I'm sure we'll talk about Myst some more.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions they want me to pass along just leave them here and I'll ask him during the interview this week.
Ok, sure. None are related to Obduction, though.

1. realRiven - any chance? Or some kind of remaster/director's cut?

2. What's up with the Book of Marrim? Is that ever coming out?

3. Whatever happened to Lattice?

prag16

Banned

How'd this go? Posted anywhere?

Top Bottom