• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Are there any impressions for in-home streaming over powerline adapters? My WiFi is too weak and I really don't want to put new cables through my walls, so powerline seems to be my only option. Now I'm just not sure if it's a viable solution.

Lots of people on the Streaming forum were recommending it to people who were using WiFi.

UnrealEck

Are there any impressions for in-home streaming over powerline adapters? My WiFi is too weak and I really don't want to put new cables through my walls, so powerline seems to be my only option. Now I'm just not sure if it's a viable solution.

I've seen these things around on shops websites. What is this technology? Does it send the network signal down a power line (your wall socket) and out to another wall socket?

Chili

Powerline can introduce a lot of ping time in my experience. It might be better than wi-fi but it is still far from ideal for an application like this.

Hasney

Powerline can introduce a lot of ping time in my experience. It might be better than wi-fi but it is still far from ideal for an application like this.

It's very situational on your house wiring. If it's new and the 2 locations don't need to go through a fuse box, the 500mbit plugs can be great and consistent.

Here's the thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540731690608986828/

It's a coin flip as to it being better than WiFi or not, depending on setup.

riflen

It's very impressive over powerline for me. My setup is powerline @ ~190Mbps and a net-top PC with a dual-core Atom CPU 2GB RAM and ION2 GPU running Ubuntu 12.04. For some reason Steam estimates my bandwidth at 40Mbps. I need to do some proper testing to independently determine the effective bandwidth.

I test it every couple of weeks and it's improving rapidly. I was playing Arkham City recently at maximum settings on a 3570K @ 4.5Ghz and 780Ti SLI. The frame-rate on the stream client was mostly 60fps, with occasional drops to 50fps.

Hidden feature: XInput emulation - Yay!

I just realized that this is a thing, and would like to thank you guys for doing this. I can use my old Direct Input gamepad to play games on the Linux streaming client, and the game thinks it's a Xbox360 pad. How awesome is that? Another reason for streaming to me.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540736319748655066/

I wonder if it's due to linux? Doesn't it support a lot of controllers out of the box?

chadskin

New update brings us hardware acceleration for encoding with Intel QuickSync.

In-Home Streaming Beta
  • Added hardware accelerated encoding via Intel QuickSync
  • Added mouse emulation mode for controllers, toggled with Guide+A
  • Revamped the streaming options UI, all settings have been reset to defaults
  • Added an option to disable streaming
  • Added a speed vs quality preference setting
  • The stats overlay is now off by default and can be enabled in the advanced client options
  • Added a 30 Mbit bandwidth option
  • Unlimited bandwidth has been increased to 100 Mbit for those who want to live on the edge
  • Added a setting to enable traffic QoS priority in the advanced host options
  • Changed framerate limit back to the refresh rate instead of refresh rate - 1
  • OpenGL games are now scaled correctly during capture

UncleO

If anyone has an invite i would love to hae one.

one question has anyone tried streaming on a Surface Pro 2. I gettting one from work and would love it if i could stream on it.

Hasney

If anyone has an invite i would love to hae one.

one question has anyone tried streaming on a Surface Pro 2. I gettting one from work and would love it if i could stream on it.

Join the group and you get in.

Works fine on a Surface Pro too

dLMN8R

Is anyone having major brightness/contrast issues with streaming in certain games? Specifically, Titanfall?

When I stream Titanfall the brightness is turned way down while the contrast is way up, making it pretty unplayable no matter what settings I tweak.

tjohn86

Is anyone using a Intel NUC as a stream box? I am interested but I don't want to invest without confirmation it works.

dLMN8R

Is anyone using a Intel NUC as a stream box? I am interested but I don't want to invest without confirmation it works.

Yep! I have the $140 Bay Trail-based Intel NUC device outfitted with 4GB ram. Works very well depending on the game and resolution.

At 720p things are perfect - 60FPS is no problem, and very little lag depending on the game.

At 1080p Borderlands 2 was a little slow (20fps or so) but that was before hardware acceleration on the host machine was enabled - I think it was a host issue, not the NUC's problem.

Will try out some more tonight.

tjohn86

Yep! I have the $140 Bay Trail-based Intel NUC device outfitted with 4GB ram. Works very well depending on the game and resolution.

At 720p things are perfect - 60FPS is no problem, and very little lag depending on the game.

At 1080p Borderlands 2 was a little slow (20fps or so) but that was before hardware acceleration on the host machine was enabled - I think it was a host issue, not the NUC's problem.

Will try out some more tonight.

Cool! It would be great to know if you can get 1080P / 60 FPS out of the Celeron model.

potam

Banned
So I just bought a new router today (Asus RT-AC66R) and wanted to play around with the VPN a bit just to experiment. Long story short, I can now stream at work, but the performance is terrible.

Relevant info:

My speed at home (I know the upload isn't the best, but it should be more than sufficient, I believe):
3407043422.png

The host PC is on Wifi via a USB dongle.

3570k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM

The computer I'm streaming to has an i7-2600, so I don't think it should have too many issues decoding.

While streaming and looking at the stats, I get the following warnings: slow encode, network, and decode. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not too worried about getting it working...I'm just mainly afraid of having some settings on the router messed up.

Hasney

Nah, you'd not have a prayer of getting this running well over CAN. Some people have trouble running streaming when the host is on wifi full stop, so to introduce a VPN on top would kill it.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/announcements/detail/1388540044495285716

This update is a big one, and I would love to get feedback on how it works for you.
Please make sure you're running the latest beta client on both machines, dated March 31 or newer.
You can post feedback in the discussion group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540737415036961031/

Revamped architecture to support many more games and improve responsiveness
Hosting from Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux is temporarily disabled
Fixed black screen when encoding with Intel QuickSync on Intel HD 3000
You can now use a game controller in the Borderlands 2 launcher
Fixed controller rumble support on Windows 8 clients
Adjusted controller dead zone for mouse emulation mode to reduce cursor drift
Fixed mouse cursor visibility and shape issues

Everybody in this group as of right now is in the beta!

potam

Banned
Nah, you'd not have a prayer of getting this running well over CAN. Some people have trouble running streaming when the host is on wifi full stop, so to introduce a VPN on top would kill it.

Actually tonight I tried it again for shits and giggles after updating the firmware on the router. I limited it to 720/30, and I was able to play Torchlight 2 for a few seconds before quitting. There were noticeable lagspikes (which could be due to Wifi or just Comcast), but it was still definitely playable. I could see myself actually playing it through a VPN if I were really desperate, or if I wanted to play a slower game like Civ.

Would buying an Nvidia Gamestream-certified router help with the quality and latency of the Steam streaming feature? My games are already playable as is with my crappy router but I'd be willing to shell out some money for a better streaming experience.

asker

Would buying an Nvidia Gamestream-certified router help with the quality and latency of the Steam streaming feature? My games are already playable as is with my crappy router but I'd be willing to shell out some money for a better streaming experience.
I can't say for sure but I wouldn't expect Steam in-home streaming to utilize Nvidia-developed protocols and techniques. I have a Gamestream-certified router and get around 30mbit utilization, 60 fps 1920x1080 with occasional frame hickups. If that sounds similar to your experience then you shouldn't need an upgrade.

Slouken already said Nvidia encode (specifically Kepler encode) will be implemented. Isn't that Gamestream?

So do I still need to join the Steam group to access this or will signing up for the beta client do the trick?

it's in the first part of the OP...

join the group and once there is a big update again Slouken will let everyone in again

Slouken already said Nvidia encode (specifically Kepler encode) will be implemented. Isn't that Gamestream?

it's in the first part of the OP...

join the group and once there is a big update again Slouken will let everyone in again

Yeah, I read the OP but this is a very old thread and I wondered if things had changed since it was written. Thanks for the reply

I can't say for sure but I wouldn't expect Steam in-home streaming to utilize Nvidia-developed protocols and techniques. I have a Gamestream-certified router and get around 30mbit utilization, 60 fps 1920x1080 with occasional frame hickups. If that sounds similar to your experience then you shouldn't need an upgrade.

I actually can't get higher fps than 30 in any game :-(

Yeah, I read the OP but this is a very old thread and I wondered if things had changed since it was written. Thanks for the reply

I've been updating the OP ever since its inception. If there would be a change in getting into the beta I would indicate that in the OP or thread title.

I lost the options to lock framerate.

Getting soso performance over ethernet. One game is perfect (L4D2) others are locked at 20FPS. Some are locked at 30. Others are stuck at 59 and tear like crazy.

I cannot stream 1080p/60fps at all. 720 is the only way I can get 60 on that one game.

Havent used Streaming in months but I have one question.

Did they ever allow/fix the issue with not being able to map controller buttons to emulators?

Im trying to play Dolphin, but when I go to the control options (in the client PC which is streaming dolphin from server) and press my buttons (in client PC), they dont register at all in the control options of the emulator.

update:

The In-Home Streaming feature is now available to everyone running the client beta
Added an intro dialog the first time you start streaming a game
Show a dialog if the game needs cloud sync resolution before starting
Improved D3D asynchronous capture performance
Improved OpenGL asynchronous capture performance
Fixed slow system reporting for Fast and Balanced settings
Fixed several causes of infinite latency when client is too slow
Fixed client crash changing resolution with software decoding
Increased precision for refresh rate and capture framerate
Reduced latency when streaming at the client refresh rate

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/announcements/detail/1388543130212917116

Steam In-Home Streaming is now in open beta! Anyone who opts into the Steam Client Beta and downloads the latest update (dated April 30) on all their computers, can play with this feature.

We have lots more we want to do with this feature, but we believe that it's useful to lots of customers and want to make it available to everyone.

Please check out the support article before reporting issues:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617

Please report any issues in the bug discussion group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/1/

Enjoy!

Blablurn

so wait. do i just neet a mini set top pc on my tv. install steam on it. and then connect it via wifi to the device with the actual games?

mclem

so wait. do i just neet a mini set top pc on my tv. install steam on it. and then connect it via wifi to the device with the actual games?

Pretty much, yes. Although last I tried, wired was significantly better-quality than wifi. That may have changed, though.

Do you have any other controllers plugged in? Dark Souls 2 is funny when Dinput controllers are plugged in.

I dont think so, only my DS3 using XinputWrapper, works in my source computer, but when remoting, it doesnt do anything. Weird.

dex3108

If your graphic card is Nvidia you can stream games on Android Media Player or any other Android device.

Hmm. So do you have to set up XinputWrapper on the secondary PC so Steam think it's a 360 pad?

So here is my setup:

Code:
Gaming PC AMD - has DS3 xinputwrapper but doesnt do any remoting

Server PC with nVidia GTX 650 (My remoting machine that nevers turns off) Doesnt have DS3 xInputWrapper or a monitor.

ClientPC super slow (has DS3 xInputWrapper)

I can play DS2 in my Gaming PC with xinputwrapper.

I can stream ANY game that uses xbox 360 controller from my slow client PC to my Server, using the DS3 connected to the clientPC with Xinputwrapper, any game save for DS2....

Maybe I will try installing xInputwrapper in my Server PC but weird how it works with anything else.

Damn, yeah. Good luck with that.

I might have not explained myself properly, anyways. Super frustrating, I really feel like playing DS2 but I end up playing Batman Arkham City or Just cause 2 instead because the DS3 works on both those games :(

Weird game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom