• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

You could have just shot Ox Head and Horse Face, ya know ;)
I didn't know Yama could be shot to death though so I learned something there.

The only entry I haven't got is Vlad, even though I've got his cape. I think he must have been killed by spikes when I've seen him and not counted.

I've been trying to improve my PB time of 3 minutes 55 seconds for weeks now, so I can share some basic advice for the achievement. Speedlunky is fairly doable even without a Jetpack, Climbing Gloves, Cape and all that good stuff; focusing on only running from exit to exit without being distracted by collecting gold or opening crates (unless they're in your direct path) cuts down huge amounts of time once you get good at it. That way, it's very realistic to finish under 8 minutes on any half-decent seed. Becoming proficient at wielding the whip is also a huge benefit since it'll allow you to keep moving virtually uninterrupted, though that's only really necessary if you're looking to kill Olmec in less than 4 minutes... which is also the ballpark where mastering the teleporter practically becomes a necessity. Compass is also very helpful, especially during the Temple stages and strategically placing a bomb to immediatedly pass a floor or two is a valuable skill to learn should the opportunity present itself.

On a sidenote, this happened to me on today's daily challenge:

ynslqp.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You could have just shot Ox Head and Horse Face, ya know ;)
I didn't know Yama could be shot to death though so I learned something there.

The only entry I haven't got is Vlad, even though I've got his cape. I think he must have been killed by spikes when I've seen him and not counted.
Haha. I'm not used to being in Yamas room with a gun. I only remembered when the devil dropped down that I could finally take him out. Oh well. I ended up having enough bombs and that's all that matters.

I don't even know what to do anymore. All I have left is speed running and meticulous money avoiding.

The d-pad on my SFIV fight pad is really weird for this game. More often than not, I'm jumping over a thing of spikes and I suddenly drop right down on them. Never had that issue with my standard 360 pad.

Kssio_Aug

I finished the tutorial twice already. But when I come back, the game is not saved. T-T (PS Vita version here).
Am I doing something wrong?

Are you not able to enter the mines? The game doesn't save your progress. You die, or you quit, and you have to start all over again unless you unlock shortcuts.

Raptomex

Indeed it is. Now I just need to get Vlad's amulet to complete the journal. I didn't realize that was even a thing before otherwise I would have gotten it when I got his cape.

I need a better method to rob shops without using bombs. Right now I just whip the shopkeep and run for his gun before he can get it and I'm not always terribly successful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I need a better method to rob shops without using bombs. Right now I just whip the shopkeep and run for his gun before he can get it and I'm not always terribly successful.
If they have a shotgun or freeze ray or machete or even boomerang if you're careful (Firing too quickly will end up using the whip and you will drop the boomerang) for sale, use that as long as you're within 2 blocks of him. (1 for the machete, and make sure he's not in his cubby hole if you use the freeze ray) If he has a Jetpack or other item you can just pick it up and walk out, as long as there's a hard to navigate pathway outside his door and you can run quickly. Sometimes I'll grab a sticky glove, walk out, and jump up on the outer wall. Then leap off as he's bouncing around in his shop and run away. But only if there's enough terrain outside to make it hard for him to get to you. I never use bombs to rob them unless in the Black Market in order to alert them on the top floor. (I bomb the platforms outside the first shop then place a bomb next to the first wood floor and jump to the other side of the entry platform so they end up running right out of the shops and into the second floor. Works even better if the top floor happens to have a shotgun for sale or a bunch of bomb boxes.

Anyway, I have a question about shops. How come occasionally a Wheel of Fortune shop will be closed? I originally thought it was closed if you were wanted, but I had one yesterday that was just closed for no reason. He had a pick for a prize but wouldn't let me play the game. The Wiki turns up nothing and only talks about Classic shops.

Edit: Did anyone post this yet? YamaYamaDingDong beat BanasaurusRex's world record.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/15/5616226/spelunky-world-record-twitch

By $4,000 and 3 hours. Like literally $4,000 exactly.

Kerned

Banned
I finally made it to Hell. I only had two bombs and was unarmed, so I didn't last long, but sometimes progress in this game needs to be measured in baby steps.

That's crazy about BanasaurusRex's record. I don't think anyone expected that to be beaten so quickly.

Celegus

I finally made it to Hell. I only had two bombs and was unarmed, so I didn't last long, but sometimes progress in this game needs to be measured in baby steps.

That's crazy about BanasaurusRex's record. I don't think anyone expected that to be beaten so quickly.

That's definitely not the ideal setup of going into Hell, but it will only get easier and easier to make it there again from here. If you have enough bombs, Hell is pretty managable, but I've never made it far when I only had 1 or 2.

Practice the no-bomb method on the third stage of the tutorial. Shopkeeper fairly close to your spawn point, unlimited lives and no pressure. Here's a video tutorial for clarity on the method itself.

Anyway, I have a question about shops. How come occasionally a Wheel of Fortune shop will be closed? I originally thought it was closed if you were wanted, but I had one yesterday that was just closed for no reason. He had a pick for a prize but wouldn't let me play the game. The Wiki turns up nothing and only talks about Classic shops.
Wheel of Fortune shops are closed on the daily challenge. Presumably due to it being so RNG-based to the point its results won't be exactly the same for everyone.

cakely

Saw something weird last night that I hoped you could explain:

I was on 1-3. A spitting snake was in a shop, occasionally hitting the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper was going through his "stunned" animation, but getting back up. I let this go on for about six cycles before killing the snake and buying a compass.

I thought that if anything damaged the shopkeeper he'd go on a shotgun rampage?

Why didn't the shopkeeper die after being hit at least six times by the spitting snake?

Latest psn daily went well to the hedjet, was just about to clear the following level when I jumped towards an off screen mammoth just as it was sneezing.

Hmm, I thought so. I think if the shop has a mystery box, the snake will break that and send the shopkeeper on a rampage, at least I'm sure I've seen an angry shopkeeper set off by a snake somehow and that's the only thing I can think of.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Saw something weird last night that I hoped you could explain:

I was on 1-3. A spitting snake was in a shop, occasionally hitting the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper was going through his "stunned" animation, but getting back up. I let this go on for about six cycles before killing the snake and buying a compass.

Why didn't the shopkeeper die after being hit at least six times by the spitting snake?

Shopkeepers have 10 health.
Question, why do some hazards not anger the shopkeeper, but some do? Like the snake doesn't make him mad. What about a Man Trap? They are able to burst out of those, but do they get mad afterwards? What if the hazard makes them drop a shotgun? Do they immediately get mad?

What other hazards can get to shopkeepers? I guess orange frogs. If one spawns next to a Tiki Trap and gets knocked into a shop or next to a shop and blows up a single tile, they get mad. If this same frog instead falls just outside a shop but a Tiki Man is walking by and gets blown into the shop and drops his boomerang which happens to hit the shopkeeper, does it count as angering him? It's not destroying the shop, but it's also not a player activated hazard.

I don't believe shopkeepers get angry if any wandering enemy directly attacks them, they'll shrug off spitters and burst out of man traps unfazed. It's when anything damages their shop that they go mental, be it bursting mystery boxes or explosions. I'd assume that a tiki man's errant boomerang hitting them would set off their aggro though, because that seems to fall within the ability of things the player can set up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Question, why do some hazards not anger the shopkeeper, but some do? Like the snake doesn't make him mad. What about a Man Trap? They are able to burst out of those, but do they get mad afterwards? What if the hazard makes them drop a shotgun? Do they immediately get mad?

What other hazards can get to shopkeepers? I guess orange frogs. If one spawns next to a Tiki Trap and gets knocked into a shop or next to a shop and blows up a single tile, they get mad. If this same frog instead falls just outside a shop but a Tiki Man is walking by and gets blown into the shop and drops his boomerang which happens to hit the shopkeeper, does it count as angering him? It's not destroying the shop, but it's also not a player activated hazard.

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe any enemy can directly inflict damage on a shopkeeper that will cause him to freak out. Any trap they get hit by will cause them to get angry at you, though, as will anything that damages their shop property. Also, anything that causes a mystery box to be opened will start a shotgun dance party. This is usually what causes shopkeepers to agro from a blue snake. The venom hits the box and opens it instead of hitting the shopkeeper himself.

I don't believe shopkeepers get angry if any wandering enemy directly attacks them, they'll shrug off spitters and burst out of man traps unfazed. It's when anything damages their shop that they go mental, be it bursting mystery boxes or explosions. I'd assume that a tiki man's errant boomerang hitting them would set off their aggro though, because that seems to fall within the ability of things the player can set up.

Another thing that can anger shopkeepers is Tiki men stealing boomerangs from a shop if they lose theirs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I might be mistaken, but I don't believe any enemy can directly inflict damage on a shopkeeper that will cause him to freak out. Any trap they get hit by will cause them to get angry at you, though, as will anything that damages their shop property. Also, anything that causes a mystery box to be opened will start a shotgun dance party. This is usually what causes shopkeepers to agro from a blue snake. The venom hits the box and opens it instead of hitting the shopkeeper himself.
That makes total sense. I love it.

Another thing that can anger shopkeepers is Tiki men stealing boomerangs from a shop if they lose theirs.
That's my favorite part. Same with a hired help. They'll just casually grab any weapon they find even if it's in a shop.

NEVER TRUST HIRED HELP! lol (As evidenced by the GIF I posted a few days ago)

Did anyone find the Black Market in the PC 4/19 daily? Clearly it was somewhere, as I see from the leaderboard that some people made it to Hell, but I could have sworn I checked everywhere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I have a new record for my quickest death ever.

iUaBaQmTWBgIR.gif

This one comes immediately after failing the Daily Challenge in which I failed to finish off a shopkeeper in the Black Market before advancing forward.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think I have a new record for my quickest death ever.

iUaBaQmTWBgIR.gif

This one comes immediately after failing the Daily Challenge in which I failed to finish off a shopkeeper in the Black Market before advancing forward.

I just found a new way to die to a powder keg block yesterday too. I was pushing one to drop it off the edge and collect something from the other side, but before the ledge was a skeleton sitting. I didn't think it through and as soon as I moved the skeleton it shattered, causing the box I was pushing to explode.

God dammit Spelunky.

demidar

Walking on the box doesn't make it explode, but a small bone chip touches it ever so slightly and it explodes.

Spelunky logic.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The weird thing is they're so unpredictable. Sometimes a direct shot from a large particle will do nothing, but killing a bat 10 blocks away will somehow set it off.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Oh yeah, #1 baby.

I will not check today's PC leaderboards ever again, and will instead assume my score of $584750 holds up for whatever weird reason.

Blinck

Hey guys!
I've recently become addicted to spelunky on the vita...such a fun game * . *

I was wondering if there is any way to see my total time played on the vita?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hey guys!

Don't the statistics give you average length of run and number of runs?

cakely

Found a new way to die #356 last night.

On 2-3, having a good run, six health, 18 bombs, compass, cape, etc.

Ahead is a mantrap that's just eaten something. Figure I'll run up, whip him, keep going.

It turns out the thing he just ate was a red frog.

madmook

Hey guys!

Nope. I'd also be morbidly curious how much time I've sunk into this game. After over 1000 plays/deaths, I'm guessing over 100 hours, maybe nearing 200. When I first started I remember dying a few times after less than 10 seconds into a run. :p

It does give me the total deaths but not the average time.
It's odd because there is a "time" icon but it doesn't say anything in front of it.

That's your best completion time, you need to reach the exit to get a time in there.

I'm kind of glad it doesn't list time spent, seeing my number of deaths is traumatic enough.

Ahead is a mantrap that's just eaten something. Figure I'll run up, whip him, keep going.

It turns out the thing he just ate was a red frog.

Heh, I never trust those things to stay asleep unless I've just whipped them an instant ago.

Top Bottom