• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to Console FPS -help-

Steel

Banned
Start at low sensitivity to get used to it, gradually make it higher, getting used to each rung, till your aim speed is as fast as you could move a mouse.

Kujii

Neo Member
Analog Sensitivity
Leave it on the deafult sensitivity setting or slightly lower. This will help you focus on aming at whats in front of you and learning to make small adjustments to the right analog stick first.

High sensitivity I would say is an advanced technique that is used for changing movement direction quickly and reaction shots.

Grip
Advice I give most my friends is keep your thumbs on the analogsticks at all times. Alot of people unknowningly flick the analogstick. letting go of the stick for that spilt second makes all the difference in a FPS

If your on PS4 I reccomend picking up the Grip-It rubber covers. This helped alot with thumb grip as the DS4 analog sticks are smaller that the DS3.

FeiRR

Banned
I made the decision a few months prior to the release of the X1/PS4 that I wanted to take my focus away from PC gaming and into console gaming. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that decision, but that's neither here nor there...
You're not alone. I made that decision a few years ago. I used to play a lot of FPS games on PC for years and it was quite a shock. But now I can't go back to KB+M and I play all action games with a gamepad, even on PC. Your hands and joints will thank you after years of playing for that decision, believe me.

My question is, how the hell do you aim with a controller? Transitioning from the precision of a mouse to a controller is extremely difficult for me so far.
- Don't try to play online until you learn how to.
- Set less accuracy first, maybe 15-20, you'll see what suits you.
- Play a third person game first, it's easier than FPS. Set easy difficulty and practice. As for FPS, it took me about the time needed to finish campaign in Resistance 2 to learn how to aim in a basic way. After another FPS (I think it was KZ2) I was already quite comfortable with the controller.

After several thousand of hours of playing FPS with a joypad, I can't stand KB+M anymore. It's archaic, too easy and unnatural. Shooting doesn't feel like shooting but like point'n'click. If you have a 1:1 encounter in an online shooter and somebody does a 180 and headshots you, you can curse but you know they were either lucky or skilled. Everybody is equal with a controller.

IMHO, people who advice you to buy a KB+M adapter for your console are cheaters.

Best advice I can give is learn to use both sticks in your aiming, not just the right one.

Use your movement to aim where you want faster and more precisely. It helps.

Gaogaogao

IMHO, people who advice you to buy a KB+M adapter for your console are cheaters.

get-out-frog-gifguatemalan-mother-seeks-stolen-daughters-return-from-us-ooaaemes.gif

if you want to see actual cheating, you can come on down to pc gaming.

Asgaro

1. Load of rubbish, if you're good enough headshots aren't that hard at all. I should know after playing many hours of Swat on Halo.

2. If you're aware of your surroundings this shouldn't be an issue.

3. Corner checking can be annoying but it's not too bad. Go towards the door at an angle makes things a lot easier.

4. That's just a load rubbish.

5. Already gone over headshots.

6. Huh? Using movement for fine aiming is a useful skill to have on both PC and console.

7. Depends on the game you are playing. This is also very true on PC if you're playing a game like CoD.

8. Also depends on the game, I remember Brink had completely customisable controls. However different layouts for each game is hardly an issue considering almost all default controls follow the same basic pattern and if the default layout doesn't there will be another layout which does.

9. That's also not true at all.

1) Fine, I can get that.

2) I watch Youtube footage daily of both console and PC gamers that play online shooters. And when someone takes a bad turn and gets stuck on a freaking doorway, it's always on consoles.

3) Ok, that's acceptable.
Most console gamers don't do it though. They go into a room and immediately go in a straight line to where they want to go next. I always wonder then: "Wait, what if there was an enemy?! Why don't you even look around you for even a few seconds?!"
The Field Of View is also a lot smaller in console games, so if it's helpful on PC, it should even more be helpful on consoles to do it.

4) What I told here is most definitely true. Looting is very slow with a controller and looks unnatural. For example, picking up a bunch of coins and other items from a table.
If I could find video's that only have the looting parts in, I would post it here. But you would have to watch some sections of a playhthrough, and go to the parts where people loot stuff.
It looks a lot different on PC than on consoles. There isn't any speed or precision when it happens on a console. If I would simulate the behaviour in real life regarding feet and hand movement, it would look like I'm drunk.

Edit: There is even a little comic for this looting behavior, because it's so common. On consoles, that is.
This is the problem. You can't with a controller quickly loot stuff when you know that in a few seconds an enemy will be here for example.
And because of that, people sometimes - instead of picking up the loot - drink the toilet water.

I've played this franchise tons of hours on PC and this has never happened to me. Even when under time pressure because I know a mutant is in the vicinity...

90KxzQM.jpg

5) Ok, true. It is probably possible in shooters like Halo.
But in for example Dead Island most definitely not. When I played that game with a mouse, nearly all hits were headshots. When I watch console footage, it looks and is next to impossible to hit someone on the head when they are coming at you. You simply don't have the time to quickly put the crosshair over the head.
When I noticed this, I even checked several other Youtube channels with gameplay of this game. Nobody tried to go for headshots even though it's known you get more XP.

6) Ok, true, it can sure be useful.
But lets say you are standing in a building and are looking through a window. It's perfectly doable to pick off several targets very quickly that are at a distance while not moving a single foot.
With a controller though?

7) Yes, depends on the game as well...
But the turn speed truly is a lot slower on consoles.
I want to feel like I'm playing as close to the behavior of a real life soldier. When a soldier hears something behind him he can turn in a split second. In a twitch movement.
If I would emulate a console gamer's aiming, it would look like I turn really slow.

8) Agreed.

9) This definitely is.
For example, this Dishonored gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vsXDJ9kCE
Just search for "Dishonored combo" on Youtube and you can't but notice it's all PC footage.
Yes, not every console gamer has access to recording devices on consoles, but that can't really be used as argument anymore. Recording on consoles has become so common, you would at least find some great combo footage on consoles, if it was possible.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Ok, there are a few. Counterstrike: Global Offensive also doesn't have aim assist.

But look here: a professional CoD gamer on an ESCW tournament.
He says he couldn't aim well and it was because aim assist wasn't enabled. He then turned it on, and all went well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WH6obpECVw

using aim assist in shooters is like driving a racing game with traction control.... why bother.. aim assist is a pain in the arse causes more issues than anything

test_account

XP-39C²
You don't

what game is it you're playing?
If call of duty you replace aiming with pressing the aim down sights button to make the aimbot snap on to the enemy, then if he moves too far you go out of ADS and then back in to reactivate it

And Op I'm really biting my lip here
You still need to aim, at least for multiplayer. Not every game have a lock-on feature (usually activated by pressing the aiming-down-sigth button two times in a row fast). And even with some aim-assist, you still need to aim. FPS on consoles also usually lets you turn off aim assist if you want that, and some games doesnt have any aim assist (like Killzone Shadow Fall).

Why are you biting your lip by the way? The OP just want to try something else, i dont see why people would care negatively towards that. He doesnt say anything negative about PC either.

sbkodama

But lets say you are standing in a building and are looking through a window. It's perfectly doable to pick off several targets very quickly that are at a distance while not moving a single foot.
With a controller maybe you're not so good, some are...

ArjanN

I don't see what your point about that pro gamer is. He's used to aim assist in CoD and...?

If you really cannot aim with a controller, it's on you. I'm doing perfectly fine in KZ:SF.

You can do fine with a controller in a console FPS because it's a level playing field. Everyone is equally gimped. With practice you can because good at using a controller, it's just that a controller isn't nearly as well suited to FPS games as a mouse.

I would recommend playing something like Halo (not sure about Halo 4 though, haven't played it).

The game speed is slower overall than something like cod which I am miserable at on console. It feels better tuned to a controller, and will provide ample opportunity to get a feel for controller aiming. Fun games as well!

Chettlar

Banned
As someone who has used XIM3 and XIM Edge, I can tell you right now that what that guy said in the video is no BS marketing, it's the real deal.

Also, I've heard a lot of people who have used different M/K adapter that they all pretty much paled in comparison to XIM.

If I ever bother to pick a "Next-gen" console(s), I'll definitely get myself a XIM4 with it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the XIM is bad. I know it's good, and pretty much everything else (like the Penguin thing, or the spitfish, etc.) are all pretty bad. Aimon's older products are pretty bad as well. Just their newer ones were actually good enough to be very competitive in the multiplayer scene.

The only reason I sold my XB Elite was because I was I needed money, and was decent enough with a controller by then. I would like to get another one of these things later on if possible, so I'm kind sorta looking around and getting familiar with them.

I may try out the XIM 4; it depends. I wish I could try it out in person before deciding whether I want it or not.

Asgaro

With a controller maybe you're not so good, some are...

I'm not good with a controller, but also I can't find others that are good...
Edit: good to a degree it doesn't look frustrating. I definitely acknowledge I have seen lots of gamers that are better with a controller than me.

I've seen tons of console footage, and it's logical to think people only upload console footage of them playing shooters, when they think they have a certain degree of skill.
But all I notice is limitations of movement, of accuracy, of speed... all the time...
where I am thinking "Damn, if that user had only the ability to use a mouse, this or that wouldn't have happened."

A possible test:
- draw 4 little circles in Paint.
- make them move slightly. (To simulate the behavior of moving enemies that are at a distance)
- hook up a controller to the PC so you move the cursor with the controller, and ask a console gamer to click within the 4 moving circles as quickly as possible.
- now do the same with a mouse.

I'm fairly sure even the most skilled console gamers will be outwitted here by an average mouse user.

Setsuna

people make it seem like once you get on a pc they get 90 percent accuracy on the head when more than likely they are well below that mark

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

All I get from your posts is you're terrible at console FPS and you blame it on the tools. Something something bad tradesman something tools.

using aim assist in shooters is like driving a racing game with traction control.... why bother.. aim assist is a pain in the arse causes more issues than anything

What a load of rubbish.

Without aim assists, most console FPS games would be unplayable.

Ever tried shooting moving team mates in Halo? Noticed how difficult it was? That's because there is no aim assist when you do it.

As for the topic at hand, your aim with always take a hit when you switch from one method to another and KB&M is very flattering to your aiming "abilities". It's very easy which would give a false sense of skill. As for controller to KB&M, I am still working on my mouse aiming after 10 years of console fps gaming.

jem0208

4) What I told here is most definitely true. Looting is very slow with a controller and looks unnatural. For example, picking up a bunch of coins and other items from a table.
If I could find video's that only have the looting parts in, I would post it here. But you would have to watch some sections of a playhthrough, and go to the parts where people loot stuff.
It looks a lot different on PC than on consoles. There isn't any speed or precision when it happens on a console. If I would simulate the behaviour in real life regarding feet and hand movement, it would look like I'm drunk.

Edit: There is even a little comic for this looting behavior, because it's so common. On consoles, that is.
This is the problem. You can't with a controller quickly loot stuff when you know that in a few seconds an enemy will be here for example.
And because of that, people sometimes - instead of picking up the loot - drink the toilet water.

I've played this franchise tons of hours on PC and this has never happened to me. Even when under time pressure because I know a mutant is in the vicinity...

5) Ok, true. It is probably possible in shooters like Halo.
But in for example Dead Island most definitely not. When I played that game with a mouse, nearly all hits were headshots. When I watch console footage, it looks and is next to impossible to hit someone on the head when they are coming at you. You simply don't have the time to quickly put the crosshair over the head.
When I noticed this, I even checked several other Youtube channels with gameplay of this game. Nobody tried to go for headshots even though it's known you get more XP.

I will admit there are some issues with looting on games like Skyrim. However that's not due to aiming. I've been hovering with the reticule exactly over the item I want and it will still think I'm aiming at at something behind/above etc. I'm pretty sure this is due to some weird pick up assist Bethesda adds the the game. I've never had any issues with loot on Borderlands.

I've never played Dead Island so I can't really offer an opinion.

I agree that a mouse is more accurate however a controller is still fine for aiming. It is possible to pull off long distance and fine aiming etc. It just requires a different skill. Being able to smoothly move the reticle slowly instead of fast jerky motions is very useful for long distance for example.

As for the topic at hand, your aim with always take a hit when you switch from one method to another and KB&M is very flattering to your aiming "abilities". It's very easy which would give a false sense of skill. As for controller to KB&M, I am still working on my mouse aiming after 10 years of console fps gaming.

Are you implying that aiming with KB&M doesn't take any skill? That's absurd! The movement action itself is probably easier, but everyone has the same tools at their disposal so you need some pretty keen reflexes to excel. You're not going to get a false sence of skill if you are getting your arse kicked!

Asgaro

All I get from your posts is you're terrible at console FPS and you blame it on the tools. Something something bad tradesman something tools.

Yes, I honestly blame it more on the tools than on the fact I don't have enough experience.

I would have blamed it only on experience IF I could find console footage easily where I don't feel frustrated by looking at it. :)

You have to consider this:
- the concept of using 2 thumbsticks to play games, was probably designed before there even were FPS games.
- the fact almost all FPS games have something like aim assist, shows thumbsticks are actually a flawed mechanic for FPS shooters.

I don't understand why console FPS gamers never ask for Sony and Microsoft to design totally new controllers? By thinking out of the box and moving on from the thumbsticks system...
Thumbsticks are fine for lots of genres, but any game that needs a certain amount of accuracy isn't fun...

I'm not saying console gamers should be forced to use KB+M, but Sony and Microsoft should develop something that has the accuracy of a mouse while still being able to play on the couch.

Something like a trackball or similar.
Something like Valve is doing actually: they are innovating with the Steam controller and are trying to replicate mouse accuracy in the living room. I hope they succeed.

Bookoo

Little bit of practice and spamming ADS for aim assist helps.

I'm not saying console gamers should be forced to use KB+M, but Sony and Microsoft should develop something that has the accuracy of a mouse while still being able to play on the couch..

Sony did have something like that and it was called PS Move. I honestly wish every FPS implemented PS Move the way it was implemented in KZ3, it was fantastic.

DrPreston

Who says you have to choose? I play shooters on PC and other games on consoles.

Playing shooters on consoles when they have PC versions is just silly.

Who says you have to choose? I play shooters on PC and other games on consoles.

Playing shooters on consoles when they have PC versions is just silly.

I would say it depends on the game.

I'm happy to play some shooters with controller if the focus isn't so much on fast action and precision aiming. If I'm mainly playing it for the experience using a controller can be fine. For example, I was fine with Bioshock Infinite using a pad. I spent a lot of time walking around taking in the sights, which a controller is well suited for.

RooMHM

What a load of rubbish.

Without aim assists, most console FPS games would be unplayable.

Ever tried shooting moving team mates in Halo? Noticed how difficult it was? That's because there is no aim assist when you do it.

This actually totally proves his point. If you can t aim and don t have motivation to improve why play FPS?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
]Are you implying that aiming with KB&M doesn't take any skill?[/b] That's absurd! The movement action itself is probably easier, but everyone has the same tools at their disposal so you need some pretty keen reflexes to excel. You're not going to get a false sence of skill if you are getting your arse kicked!

No, just the entry level is much easier than it is on console.

Of course KB&M has a high skill ceiling, it's just easier at the lower ends.

As for controller, well, there is a reason why Colonels (skill levels 40-44 out of 50) in Halo 3 were considered laughably terribad compared to 50s.

No, just the entry level is much easier than it is on console.

Of course KB&M has a high skill ceiling, it's just easier at the lower ends.

As for controller, well, there is a reason why Colonels (skill levels 40-44 out of 50) in Halo 3 were considered laughably terribad compared to 50s.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Anecdotally I have "taught" some non gamers to play FPS games on console and PC, and they tend to pick up KB+M aiming quicker than controller if they have no experience with either method. Of course this is just going off a sample of... 3 people so it means nothing!

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I know you wanted other solutions but practice is the main thing that is going to smooth the transition. With time you will find that playing FPS games with a controller is not akin to performing brain surgery with your feet, despite what a few people in here are intimating. It will never be or feel as accurate or responsive as using a mouse but when it comes to multi-player, everybody else is working with the same disadvantages so it's a level playing field.

Prrrrrrractice

I couldn't aim for shit with a mouse at first either, practice made me better and now I can't use a stick either. But enough time would help me

I know that feel bro. I played fps on pcs for some good 5 years and then moved on to PS4... I'm getting slammed in BF4. I'm at level 19 now and only now I'm starting to be able to aim properly, but I still have a long way to go, lol

sbkodama

I'm not good with a controller, but also I can't find others that are good...
Edit: good to a degree it doesn't look frustrating. I definitely acknowledge I have seen lots of gamers that are better with a controller than me.

I've seen tons of console footage, and it's logical to think people only upload console footage of them playing shooters, when they think they have a certain degree of skill.
But all I notice is limitations of movement, of accuracy, of speed... all the time...
where I am thinking "Damn, if that user had only the ability to use a mouse, this or that wouldn't have happened."
I must say that lot of console players are bad with mouse as you are bad with controller, because of the experience, so give a mouse at a console player won't be the solution.

I don't decrease the accuracy of the mouse, the mouse has no force feedback and its amplitude is larger, so it's obviously more easy to be precise.

I can agree with your point about accuracy and rotation because of mouse but certainly not on motion because of keyboard.
With keyboard and mouse you can't keep your direction when you rotate because the accuracy of this two inputs are too different, you can on a controller because the two inputs are the same.
Maybe this isn't important for you and lot of other because aiming is more important on fps or tps, but this point is very important for me.

About footage, i can say I don't watch lot of them, most of it I watch are for story, I can watch a little for gameplay before I play myself, but after that I don't care because most of the time I think they aren't good enough.

I don't understand why console FPS gamers never ask for Sony and Microsoft to design totally new controllers? By thinking out of the box and moving on from the thumbsticks system...
Thumbsticks are fine for lots of genres, but any game that needs a certain amount of accuracy isn't fun...

Because most people don't want them to try and fix something that's not broken. Not everybody thinks like you, not everybody looks at a console game and goes "gosh, if I was using a KB&M instead of a controller I'd be aiming .05 seconds faster and having so much more fun". You don't seem to understand that for console gamers dual sticks is a more superior, more comfortable controller method then KB&M. It's not a detriment, it's not a downside and it doesn't reduce the enjoyment at all.

I've been playing Hotline Miami the past few days and the controllers are driving me crazy. Using the mouse is fine, but the movement on the keyboard is infuriating, and my GOD the hand cramps! I can't play more then 10 minutes without pain. I'd be having a lot more fun if I could use a controller.

Buy an adapter like what Penguin United has made, though it only works for the 360 and PS3 right now. It has full mapping functions and dpi settings.

Exuro

I've been playing Hotline Miami the past few days and the controllers are driving me crazy. Using the mouse is fine, but the movement on the keyboard is infuriating, and my GOD the hand cramps! I can't play more then 10 minutes without pain. I'd be having a lot more fun if I could use a controller.
Then.... why don't you?

Asgaro

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I wanted to give an example of the clear disadvantages with a controller.
And I don't comprehend why console gamers never get frustrated in this.

I agree that a mouse is more accurate however a controller is still fine for aiming. It is possible to pull off long distance and fine aiming etc. It just requires a different skill. Being able to smoothly move the reticle slowly instead of fast jerky motions is very useful for long distance for example.

Because most people don't want them to try and fix something that's not broken. Not everybody thinks like you, not everybody looks at a console game and goes "gosh, if I was using a KB&M instead of a controller I'd be aiming .05 seconds faster and having so much more fun". You don't seem to understand that for console gamers dual sticks is a more superior, more comfortable controller method then KB&M. It's not a detriment, it's not a downside and it doesn't reduce the enjoyment at all.

- With a mouse: you can do slow movements + fast jerky motions when necessary. And you can choose when to use what. Also in the heath of the action.

- With a controller: you can do slow movements BUT this takes way more patience. In the heath of the action you will probably always overshoot. This wouldn't happen with a mouse.
In the heath of the action, you will most of the time overshoot a certain target you are aiming for.

I am at the moment watching a Fallout New Vegas (No Kill Run; recommended video!) of someone who plays the game on a console.
This is the reason I revived this thread.

Please everyone, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAR_7X3v_GI
and start watching the small loot section starting from 31:21.
Watch how he overshoots on nearly every item he tries to pick up.
Apart from overshooting happening in the heath of the action, it seems to also happen when there isn't even anything to be stressed about (= looting).

I now want you to imagine how this would look like in real life.
Would this happen in real life? No, it wouldn't.

It looks like he is controlling a robot using a remote device. Instead of that he is portraying a human being.

Now with a mouse, things like this never happen. You will never overshoot.
If you portray the mouse movements in real life, it wouldn't look and seem nearly as weird.

Just wondering: Am I the only one that gets frustrated when you see stuff like this happen?

Some screenshots:
Again, this comic is relevant. The fact this comic even exists shows at least some people find this frustrating on consoles.
(This situation never happens with a mouse.)

90KxzQM.jpg

I took some screenshots from the video I mentioned above:

fallout%20nv%20console%20looting.PNG

fallout%20nv%20console%20looting%202.PNG

So no one finds this frustrating to watch? Let alone experience it themselves?

Edit:
Now compare this on PC:
Here a video of someone showing off his collected special loot in Fallout New Vegas.
The person is going over all his items. Going with the crosshair from one item to the next in no time.

Notice the fact you don't have the overshoot situations like in the screenshots above.
This behavior feels human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpKtwJ2Xi6A

Just imagine the time it would take to do this with a controller.
Just imagine the amount of overshoot happening if he tries to do it in the same time frame as on this PC video...

Nethaniah

I remember watching the Giant Bomb 24 hour livestream where they completed Halo Reach, it was jarring, almost painfull to watch because of how slow it was with the movement of the camera and stuff, many moments where you go ''on pc this part would have been a cakewalk'' and i have this issue with all of their TPS / FPS related content which they mostly play on consoles.

Ofcourse there will probably be people quoting me saying that it doesn't matter, you don't need to have top level accuracy to have fun or why are you using such hyperbolic statements but i have this problem with every console related footage, it's all so slow and innacurate.

Belmire

Moving a CURSOR to hit a target is easier with your wrist than it is with your thumb. Your thumb is also trying to move a cylinder in the direction you want the cursor / player to go in. Add up having to press the trigger button with the OTHER hand and you've added a bunch of human input lag while playing the game.

It's very technical... =)

Also, if any of you have Titanfall on both PC and XB1, try spectating the game for 15 minutes on each platform. The difference is night and day.

Swarna

Depends a little bit on the game but a few quick pointers for excelling in multiplayer on COD-like titles:

-go for max or near max-sensitivity and rely on the aim-assist

-practice making perfect circle rotations on the right stick (smaller than the barrier of the sticks) to gradually increase your level of control

-it's worth your while to keep moving/jumping/dropping because time to kill is higher on consoles and you can further extend your life and chances to frag before getting fragged

Edit: didn't read the dates because I'm on mobile....

Nzyme32

Wasn't there a dude that made controller with the right stick substituted for a trackball? That would seem like a better bet but I wouldn't be sure how you get around the software side of games that alter acceleration and provide auto aim mechanics.

If all that is out of the question, get used to it I guess

Top Bottom