• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[US] April 2014 Boxart Thread

Seda

Might be the wrong place to ask, but what was that PSV/PS4/PS3 game that came out in Japan recently that had towers for a boxart? Combat was kinda like Valkyria Chronicles.

Natural Doctrine?

Natural_Doctrine_PS4_JP.jpg

Apparently combat is only superficially similar to Valkyria Chronicles, according to those playing the JPN version. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795635)

Nachos

Oh, I think it was this week.

Low-res version's been floating around for some time now, but we're only now getting something with a decent resolution.

5007562.jpg

Also on: PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, and maybe PC? Those are by Edge of Reality, there's a 3DS version by Wayforward.
Man, the spacing of the words in the subtitle is really weird.

So psyched to worship the virtual boy.

Small, from Gamestop. Looks like a more zoomed-out image than the Japanese one. I like it better.

160098b1.jpg
Shame impressions of it haven't been so hot and that the game apparently ends in the middle of its story, its cliffhanger only existing because they ran out of money.

Ok this is hot-fire:

BlVzsG8CYAA5_ZX.jpg:large

I didn't think that game's art style lent itself well to dramatic scenes, but that actually looks really cool.

Tohsaka

Shame impressions of it haven't been so hot and that the game apparently ends in the middle of its story, its cliffhanger only existing because they ran out of money.

Yeah, that sucks but I'm still getting it anyway since I've been interested in it since the Japanese release. Hopefully it'll get a sequel to tie up the loose ends.

Eusis

. . . Actually, I just realized something about the blue bars. Could they be games that are cross-save between Vita and PS3? Because Deception IV does that, I wouldn't be surprised if MLB The Show did that, and Dynasty Warrior 8, well, they don't seem to be the same version but it IS plausible. It might explain why so many games here are new covers without a blue PS3 bar.

EDIT: Nevermind I saw Mugen Souls Z up there. But it still seems weird we have a period where games are getting announced/released with that bar, then a bunch without. Even one from Sony themselves.

Nachos

Seriously? That's the first time I heard of that... That stinks.

I would need to check on how the ending actually works - how abrupt it is - but yeah, it literally just ends by showing "This is only the beginning" before cutting to the credits. I had it described to me as basically ending a multi-disk RPG after disk 1.

Yeah, that sucks but I'm still getting it anyway since I've been interested in it since the Japanese release. Hopefully it'll get a sequel to tie up the loose ends.
I know there was some backlash (especially going off what little I can understand of the Japanese Amazon reviews), but I have no idea how well the game actually did.

I just find it funny that two very Persona-ish (don't want to call them rip-offs when I haven't played them myself) games are launching so close to each other - one taking a similar-ish presentation style and the other taking a similar premise.

Freedom Wars

91bidL5mJxL._SL1500_.jpg
Well, that's definitely busy. At first I thought the thing on the guy's back was a giant clapperboard.

Takao

Banned
At what point does a trend become tradition, or a trope? I ask because back facing protagonist fighting monster has been a thing since the granddaddy of the co-operative action genre:

6oWKy31.jpg

The first MH launched in 2004.

At what point does a trend become tradition, or a trope? I ask because back facing protagonist fighting monster has been a thing since the granddaddy of the co-operative action genre:

6oWKy31.jpg

The first MH launched in 2004.

Good point, It just caught my eye because of the angle. If nitpicking, the MH1 box has Rathalos facing left with the hunter on the right side. Eldar Saga's box has both characters on each side (granted the main hero is on the left).

God Eater Burst is also that IIRC.

We're dragging a bit off-topic. :p Sorry!

Wait... why do PS3 games have blue bars too?

1. Isn't there enough box art discontinuity with the PlayStation 3 -> PS3 rebranding?
2. Wouldn't it confuse prospective buyers with PS3 and PS4 games?

Top Bottom