• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this about a week ago. Enjoying the gameplay but holy hell the matchmaking is broken. I keep getting paired against teams all gen +4 while most of my team haven't even gotten past 1. Needless to say, I've recorded a lot more losses than wins so far.

Anyways, my GT is il DiavoloV if anyone wants to play. I could use the help lol.

Finally got my first regen today.

Man, I'm really going to miss the C.A.R until I get it back again.

Also I really wish they would leave the custom class slots unlocked when you regen. I love having a lot of slots open to me and it's going to be a pain in the ass waiting to get them back again. Honestly class slots shouldn't even be an unlockable or limited to begin with.

Nydius

I'm out of ideas for the Regen challenges. I'm honestly in the "do away with them" boat. Again, I love the idea behind them, but don't think it has worked out. I personally wouldn't have imagined players would be so selfish. I still love the game, so I don't want to come across as a dick for being so harsh against the Regen challenges. Respawn has made the first FPS in a long time I've sank so much time into.

I agree with this entirely except for the "wouldn't have imagined players would be so selfish" part. Once I saw the list of regen challenges, I knew it was going to devolve into a nightmare for people who play in pick up public matches. This was only made more apparent with the patching that rebalanced several elements of the game.

The idea is great in theory. I get the idea that Respawn wanted to make something different from than COD's plain jane "Congrats you hit 50 now do it again" system. In practice, however, it becomes inevitable that people end up playing toward the challenges rather than playing towards winning... simply so they can "rank up".

That's why I haven't moved from Gen 2/50. Most of the gen challenges don't appeal to me and I'm not going to completely alter my gameplay just to try to achieve a gen challenge. That makes the game less fun for me and if I'm running around using weapons that I'm uncomfortable with (or simply trying to jump on Titans rather than play the game), it makes my contribution to the team far less significant.

TMWNN35

Getting tired of people quitting matches when the team is even a little bit down on the scoreboard.

I'm often enjoying a close game then we start getting stomped and I look a the scoreboard and its 3 vs 6 :(

It'd be nice to give a points reward for players that fight through to the bitter end in consecutive games.

Argonomic

Getting tired of people quitting matches when the team is even a little bit down on the scoreboard.

I'm often enjoying a close game then we start getting stomped and I look a the scoreboard and its 3 vs 6 :(

It'd be nice to give a points reward for players that fight through to the bitter end in consecutive games.

This is something we are working on.

The entire point of regen challenges is to make you use guns you're uncomfortable with to make you get better with them, so i don't get that criticism.

If you don't like it, it's just a rank

The only absurd ones I see are 50 ejection kills for gooser and win 100 matches. Even the charge rifle crits are coming easily for me.

Nydius

The entire point of regen challenges is to make you use guns you're uncomfortable with to make you get better with them, so i don't get that criticism.

The only absurd ones I see are 50 ejection kills for gooser and win 100 matches. Even the charge rifle crits are coming easily for me.

If I want to get better with a gun, I'll use it of my own accord. I don't need forced Gen challenges to push me into using something I may or may not care about. If people need to be pushed into be using specific weapons, that says a lot about the weapon design (or lack thereof).

The game is team oriented and people who play towards meeting Gen challenges rather than playing to help the team or win make the entire game weaker. "If you don't like it, it's just a rank" is precisely why I'm still Gen 2/50 but I'm almost certain I'm in the minority of people who have done that.

All of the guns are entirely serviceable. The Carbine needs to be toned down badly, but every single gun in this game is alright IMO apart from the longbow, which is pretty bad. I don't see an issue with weapon design apart from the Carbine being absurdly powerful.

And the plasma railgun is god awful too.

I really don't notice all of this stuff with people playing only for challenges either. But I'm not on PC/Xbone. I guess most people aren't high enough generation yet to need to do that. We'll see if it changes.

Rodeo + Warp is the key. I've had so many times I jump on a Titan, a pilot hops out, and I drop my Titan on his Titan. This split second of him/her getting out to try and kill me is enough time for me to plop a Titan on his face while his Titan sits still.

I'm out of ideas for the Regen challenges. I'm honestly in the "do away with them" boat. Again, I love the idea behind them, but don't think it has worked out. I personally wouldn't have imagined players would be so selfish. I still love the game, so I don't want to come across as a dick for being so harsh against the Regen challenges. Respawn has made the first FPS in a long time I've sank so much time into.

Id be one of those selfish players....gen 6, the brain surgeon challenge, playing campaign against low levels and don't contribute to winning. It's the only way to get 50 rodeo titan kills within a reasonable amount of time.

Also, is there any reason why a rodeo kill doesn't count as a rodeo kill?

I've gotten the demoed notification for while I rodeo a titan, but at the end of the match only one of 4 or 5 titans i rodeod and demoed counted towards the challenge

Orayn

Sooo, any updates for Titanfall in the last week? I hope when I return people aren't going to body me.

They posted a thing on Facebook and Twitter about choosing maps, which was probably supposed to link to a page detailing the next update but wound up pointing to the last one instead.

Izuna

Banned
Id be one of those selfish players....gen 6, the brain surgeon challenge, playing campaign against low levels and don't contribute to winning. It's the only way to get 50 rodeo titan kills within a reasonable amount of time.

I've gotten the demoed notification for while I rodeo a titan, but at the end of the match only one of 4 or 5 titans i rodeod and demoed counted towards the challenge

This is one challenge where I really don't agree with this at all. You can Rodeo about 3-5 Titans in a match of really good player in almost any game mode with the LMG Slammer. Most will just abandon their Titans anyway. IMO Pilot Hunter is the fastest.

Also stay on their Titan until it dies completely. It feels like a bug though.

the probably with them is that groups of people blatantly not giving a shit about the match at hand just focusing on whatever regen challenges they have to and ruining the entire flow of the game for everyone else. Anyway, like i said before: it might not be that much of a problem on the NA/EU servers, but in SEA/east asia where i run into the same people over and over again a lot it can get quite annoying.

but really, if I could ask them to change one thing, it would just be go back to the old match making. Sure joining a game was a crap shoot, but at least you could find a game whenever you felt like it.

hoyalawya

You have to keep shooting until the titan blows up. Dooming alone does not count towards the challenge.

I'm not the original poster, but for me it is:

Technical: The game is not attractive visually. It isn't locked at 60 FPS (on the Xbone) and it tears like crazy. I could forgive Respawn a little if the framerate was locked and there was no tearing, but as it standings it is an ugly game with performance problems. Compared to anything on the PS4, this game is visually laughable. Hell, even compared to Garden Warfare this game is fugly.

Time to death: Pilots simply die way too fast in this (and it is why I despise CoD). The speed of the movement is great, but being killed almost instantly and not being able to really react to anything is boring. Both defensively, but also offensively. I don't feel accomplished when I shoot at a player for half a second and they die without even being able to tell they were under attack.

It also prevents things like getting stomped on by a Titan from feeling impactful. If someone dies instantly from anything, there is vary little variation in how powerful stuff feels. Getting nuked by an exploding Titan feels the same as being shot three times by a Smart Pistol, and happens in about the same amount of time.

Leveling: I hate leveling in shooters and not having access to weapons and abilities. It just feels like a grind to get to the weapon I want, especially in a game like this where you're not unlocking new variants on a type but the entire category of weapon because there is only one of each type.

The only thing I really enjoy about this is the pilot movement and Titan combat, but mostly because Titan engagements actually feel meaningful because they don't instantly respawn and take time to kill. If this game had Titan only CTF and Hard Point modes on maps designed for 12 Titans, I'd love this game.

Time to death:

The only online FPS games I have played are: BF3, BF4, Hawken and now Titanfall. Hawken is somewhat different so instant death cannot occur. From my experience you die pretty fast in Battlefield if someone has a modicum of aiming ability (perhaps I am just rubbish).

In Titanfall there have been many times when I was being shot but have used my running abilities to evade death. It is rare if someone can aim with any level of ability but you can get out of a near-death situation by using parkour (the stim ability is very handy).

If you get shot in the back then you would have died in any game as you were oblivious to what was going on. Front on shooting can be very frustrating as I have often shot someone first (in my interpretation of the gaming world) and yet on killcam it suggested otherwise. I guess that any FPS game would result in the same outcome, though, and that is death. I can always tell players who are playing the game to its strengths e.g. moving a lot and using the environment to scale and run through as they are more difficult to shoot due to being a constant moving target. Some players just stand still and on the floor which makes them easy pickings.

You say about players not knowing they have been under attack and die without being able to respond. To me this leans towards situational awareness. Of course you cannot see all that is around you all of the time. But of all the abilities employed in playing an online FPS game I feel that knowing what is around you at nearly all the time is the second most important; aiming is probably the most important!

I could say that being shot by any form of weapon in any form of online FPS is essentially the same. I have been pistol shot, rocket launched, grenaded, stabbed, machine gunned and they have all ended in death in the same way.

Leveling:

I am not a massive fan of leveling but most guns open up fast and you unlock the extras to that gun if you stick with it. I never felt I had to grind to get unlocks as it all occurred very naturally just by playing not that many matches. I am not 'regening' (thus not losing my guns) as I don't want to get involved in the do-this-100-times meta game of the challenges.

Anyway, good insight into why the game hasn't clicked for you. Too many people just say they do not like a game without going into detail.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not the original poster, but for me it is:

Technical: The game is not attractive visually. It isn't locked at 60 FPS (on the Xbone) and it tears like crazy. I could forgive Respawn a little if the framerate was locked and there was no tearing, but as it standings it is an ugly game with performance problems. Compared to anything on the PS4, this game is visually laughable. Hell, even compared to Garden Warfare this game is fugly.

Time to death: Pilots simply die way too fast in this (and it is why I despise CoD). The speed of the movement is great, but being killed almost instantly and not being able to really react to anything is boring. Both defensively, but also offensively. I don't feel accomplished when I shoot at a player for half a second and they die without even being able to tell they were under attack.

It also prevents things like getting stomped on by a Titan from feeling impactful. If someone dies instantly from anything, there is vary little variation in how powerful stuff feels. Getting nuked by an exploding Titan feels the same as being shot three times by a Smart Pistol, and happens in about the same amount of time.

Leveling: I hate leveling in shooters and not having access to weapons and abilities. It just feels like a grind to get to the weapon I want, especially in a game like this where you're not unlocking new variants on a type but the entire category of weapon because there is only one of each type.

The only thing I really enjoy about this is the pilot movement and Titan combat, but mostly because Titan engagements actually feel meaningful because they don't instantly respawn and take time to kill. If this game had Titan only CTF and Hard Point modes on maps designed for 12 Titans, I'd love this game.

I don't know who the original poster is but I completely disagree with so much said here.

About the Time of Death: come on now, this has been the trend for shooters for such a long time. I hated it too, and it's one of the reason why I avoided FPS games, but for vast majority of players it is their prefereance. How Respawn took this and made it not feel quite so negative was to give players the sort of movement we have. You can run away from people in this game, you can easily hide and with the radar you aren't getting killed by the luck of someone finding you all the time. The movement wouldn't balance out if it took any longer to kill a pilot, it would be almost impossible to kill anyone who is using Stim. It's a delicate balance and it isn't fixed by increasing pilot health -- the Titans are there for that.

Levelling in this game is tame as fuck. As Gen 10/50 perhaps you could say I can say that because I played this game a bunch, but really now, most enchancements unlock after simply 15 Pilot kills or 20 Titan kills, that is hardly a grind if you're not regenning. As for wanting to use other weapon, until you reach Level 40 you will level up pretty much once a match at Gen 1. Apart from the final sniper, that means you will have almost everything in the game by 40 games in, and that's roughly 8 hours of gameplay (if we assume that the first 14 levels didn't come by the first couple of hours, but whatever).

That being said, you have access to the Shotgun, Carbine, and the Smart Pistol pretty much from the get-go. Now besides the C.A.R. SMG which I think is a slight step up from the Carbine, all of the other weapons are weaker versions of the Carbine outside of the Snipers if you want them. If anything, you should be complaining about the lack of variation, because oh boy is barely anything worthwhile locked behind levelling. I'm convinced that you went in to critique the game and didn't even give it much time after saying this...

fozzy

I know this might not be the right place, but installed a new OS and now Origin is asking me to download Titanfall again even though it's installed on another hard drive.

Am I going to have to re-download?

Bydobob

If it weren't for the challenges and I'd still be running around with the same loadouts every match and probably tired of the game by now.

Being challenged to try new loadouts breathes life into the game as each Generation plays differently to the last. It's also made me a much more versatile player and given me an appreciation for how well integrated the various weapons and abilities are. Doing away with them altogether is madness in my opinion.

We have considered making the "kill x enemies" challenges be Attrition only, since you would then be contributing to victory. I'm curious if people think of that.

This is likely to create emptier lobbies elsewhere so I'm personally not in favour (even though I mainly play Attrition). Simply reducing the requirements to say 30 or 40 kills for some weapons might be a better way forward. Would create less frustration all round without impacting on the appeal of certain modes.

tauke

I know this might not be the right place, but installed a new OS and now Origin is asking me to download Titanfall again even though it's installed on another hard drive.

Am I going to have to re-download?

Have you tried going to Origin settings for installed game and set it to your previous installation path? I set mine to a different partition (O:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games) and in it should have your Titanfall directory.

Then let it download again and I think it should verify the directory so it will not download everything. Give it a try and let us know.

fozzy

Have you tried going to Origin settings for installed game and set it to your previous installation path? I set mine to a different partition (O:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games) and in it should have your Titanfall directory.

Then let it download again and I think it should verify the directory so it will not download everything. Give it a try and let us know.

Yeah it just comes up with not enough free space on the hard drive when I try re-download.

Yeah it just comes up with not enough free space on the hard drive when I try re-download.

Had the same issue, it's not smart enough to check the files before figuring out how much space it needs. Once I cleared some other crap it went through the install process without redownloading.

Currently on gen 3 and grinding out the plasma rail gun challenge for my titan. Quick question, insta-shot or no?

I've been doing ok without it basically by hanging back and sniping wondering if the damage reduction is worth it.

fozzy

Had the same issue, it's not smart enough to check the files before figuring out how much space it needs. Once I cleared some other crap it went through the install process without redownloading.

I just deleted the folder and now it's re-downloading. I'm going to be out all day so at least I'm not sat about waiting. I'm guessing I wont lose my online progress?

tauke

I just deleted the folder and now it's re-downloading. I'm going to be out all day so at least I'm not sat about waiting. I'm guessing I wont lose my online progress?

Everything is tracked on the server so all you need to do is login to Origin and launch the game!

As tauke said all is held on the server including burn cards. I routinely jump between two PCs to play the game without any loss of my stuff.

If it weren't for the challenges and I'd still be running around with the same loadouts every match and probably tired of the game by now.

Exacty.

It does offer some meaning to the generations, that you've spent time with almost all the weapons by the end. It's an excellent tweak to the leveling system that has been commonplace in FPS's, something other than time delineates your rank.

What I'd like is if they were able to spread out the time in generations a bit more evenly than the sharp curve in the last two generations. That and if they could offer unlocks or something so that even if you're sitting at the top of your Gen at level 50 there is something to be earned.

If I want to get better with a gun, I'll use it of my own accord. I don't need forced Gen challenges to push me into using something I may or may not care about. If people need to be pushed into be using specific weapons, that says a lot about the weapon design (or lack thereof).

The game is team oriented and people who play towards meeting Gen challenges rather than playing to help the team or win make the entire game weaker. "If you don't like it, it's just a rank" is precisely why I'm still Gen 2/50 but I'm almost certain I'm in the minority of people who have done that.

I kind of see it the other way. It gets you out of your comfort zone and shows you that you can play the game a different way. I would have never used the plasma railgun because I thought it sucked but towards my final challenge to go to Gen 4 I noticed I was pretty good at it. Also, all of these challenges are for kills to titans/pilots/spectres/grunts so it helps your team regardless. I think this was a breath of fresh air compared to, you've played the game for this long and now you are Prestige 10.

TrueGrime

So I'm playing Last Titan Standing trying to grind out the Plasma Railgun and half my team ditches their titans at the beginning of the round. WTF are they doing?? I bet it's some kind of fucked up challenge.

So I'm playing Last Titan Standing trying to grind out the Plasma Railgun and half my team ditches their titans at the beginning of the round. WTF are they doing?? I bet it's some kind of fucked up challenge.

Ive seen people pull this strategy. Get an amped anti titan weapon, ditch the titan, and use it as a distraction.

I get it as a strategy.....but the team that wins is the team with the last TITAN, not last alive.

TrueGrime

Ive seen people pull this strategy. Get an amped anti titan weapon, ditch the titan, and use it as a distraction.

I get it as a strategy.....but the team that wins is the team with the last TITAN, not last alive.

I can see this as a strategy late in the round where Titans are mixed up, but right off the bat is ludicrous as people will hold back a bit and try for those long shots. Auto-titans are just fodder.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
You have to keep shooting until the titan blows up. Dooming alone does not count towards the challenge.

You also get credit if the pilot ejects after being doomed and you are still shooting. This challenge is going to be easy if you're a rodeo happy mofo like me.

Currently on gen 3 and grinding out the plasma rail gun challenge for my titan. Quick question, insta-shot or no?

I've been doing ok without it basically by hanging back and sniping wondering if the damage reduction is worth it.

There is only 1 map I used instant shot on and that was Corporate. All other maps I used charge shot. Instant shot is also good for grunts.

RonanN1

Banned
Do you guys know if the DLC will raise the level cap? I'm all at 10 (50).

*p.s

The games is mising the "max level chip" icon. I mean come on...that 50 looks dumb. It needs a "special" chip without numbers (for the max level, I repeat).

Bizazedo

Played with a few real life friends last night. Neither are real FPS fans, but for some reason they got Titanfall on the XB1 and actually enjoy it. I commend / blame the bots, speed, and Titans for this, but am glad I can play with them.

And that's when I learned that one of the two is one of those guys who is there the whole match and at the end only has 10 minion kills. I was horrified. I know one in real life. One of them.

Now I want to try and help him / fix him. I actually watched him a bit and he kept putting his back to walls and play it slow and look for enemies. I kept yelling for him to move, but he kept it slow.

He also rode on my Ogre for half a match which, while nice since poor enemies tried to board, fell off, and got smooshed, it doesn't really help the team that much.

I have no idea how to help him, yet.

RonanN1

Banned
Those plasma railgun regen challenges...I feel so bad for my team. I'm useless in a titan now. :(

After you unlock INSTANT SHOT it's easy. Also i recomand that you play: HARDPOINT not LAST TITAN STANDING. On HARDPOINT you find lots of abandoned titans aka easy shots :p

I can see this as a strategy late in the round where Titans are mixed up, but right off the bat is ludicrous as people will hold back a bit and try for those long shots. Auto-titans are just fodder.

If you keep your titan deep behind cover and have on standby mode then it's a good strategy, especially if both sides are entrenched. It helps loosen up the game. As long as you get back to your titan before it gets found or you get shot its all good.

I had a really odd issue once, I suppose it was a glitch, where I was out of my titan as it had been destroyed. The round wasn't ending and I thought the match had gone into limbo. I see an enemy pilot run past on the floor, shot him and we won the round. It seemed like none of our team or theirs had a titan left. Our team definitely didn't have a titan left as I was the only one left alive and there were no titan icons.

TrueGrime

If you keep your titan deep behind cover and have on standby mode then it's a good strategy, especially if both sides are entrenched. It helps loosen up the game. As long as you get back to your titan before it gets found or you get shot its all good.

I have a good clip that I'll post later that shows what happens to fools who ditch their titans at the beginning of a LTS match.

I would have never used the plasma railgun because I thought it sucked but towards my final challenge to go to Gen 4 I noticed I was pretty good at it.

Almost completed all of the plasma rail gun challenges and feel the same. Hated that gun at first and never would have given it a chance. While it's still not my preferred Titan weapon, I'm getting pretty good at using it towards the end.

Those plasma railgun regen challenges...I feel so bad for my team. I'm useless in a titan now. :(

I thought this also. I was in a lobby with people who actually played as a group on last titan standing and we dominated and I wound up on top most of the time because i stayed back in the group and got off railgun shots. Got 5 titans toward my challenge with just that group. Whoever it was, thanks guys!

Izuna

Banned
Challenges being Attrition only is not a good idea. I did most of my Challenges early on while trying to get the 50 Hardpoint/Campaign wins etc. Granted I in no way did my best, but to push all players who won't really try into these modes won't accomplish much rather than completely ruin the popularity of the other modes. Thinking back, Smart Pistol on CTF was one of my favourite Challenges to complete as I needed to get MVP at the same time. Titanfall is great t giving people the choice to play it almost as if it is singleplayer and I think that's important. Attrition being my fav would have meant that at Gen 10/50 I would have ONLY played Attrition.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't understand if what's happening lately is my connection's fault or something else:

•95% of the times, playing the campaign, I end up 4 versus 6 (instead of, say, 5 vs 5?) and we four are low levels newbies while the other team is filled with 40+ lvl players... we usually end up being crashed.
I'm also always on the blue team opposite the militia dudes. Is it supposed to be like this for campaign purposes or is the matchmaking fucked up beyond comprehension?

•my connection is solid (cable, not wifi) on every other game/console/PC and yet on TF I'm usually 4 bars out of 5 (couple of times I was 3 bars!) and I never ping lover than 50ms (it's usually between 52 and 64ms). Not much of a difference between all the EU servers, normally it's less than a 3ms difference... kinda weird isn't it?

•in the last couple of days I had the game's engine crapping out on me (it's clearly server side, not in-game slowdowns since it happens even with not much going on screen) and a few seconds later BAM! I'm kicked out of the game like if my connection was dropped... never happened before, and it,s pissing me off especially when I had a decent match and was about to win and make lots of exp points, it usually happens at the end of the level too!

Is this happening only to me? This is while playing the campaign btw, haven't yet tried proper mp modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom