• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Either way, I hope the IM story isn't required to understand this one.

I mostly asked because I noticed that in addition to Filia, the Mysterious Girl Original Character for this game, the Mysterious Girl Original Character from Infinity Moment (Strea) is in this one too, for some reason, hence wondering if there's any connection.

Yeah dont worry about that as am pretty certain it will be for example similar to how Soul Sacrifice Delta contains all the story bits of the first game compounded by the new for the Delta expansion.

With this all the events should play out in the same way which means that it will follow the initial story of Infinity Moment.

Parakeetman

Video showing the "switch system" in action & combat within the hollow area.

It looks like with this game and the new burst gauge it gives a lot more meaning to the switch system, as when you switch out the burst gauge refills which allows for you to chain sword skills together once again, besides the previous functionality which is lowering your risk rating. But when you switch you need to wait till the "icon" refills again before you can perform another switch.

Parakeetman

Ahh the op images wouldn't load at work.

I want the wedding dress lol. Hope bamco brings them state wise :3

Yeah this OT is pretty much 80% graphics unfortunately. Which is why had decided to shrink down the size as much as possible by using smaller icons which link to the larger graphics.

I would think they will, considering they must know how folks dont seem to be happy with it being digital only. So need to throw something in there to appease folks!
Thats pretty impressive considering summer isnt that far away though. Sure the window kinda extends a bit further out, but still just a few months.

By then Im also interested to see if they do make good on providing extra content for the hollow area.

Am pretty sure bannam already has all sorts of ideas for accessories and other whatnots to sell in game though knowing their standard MO.

Thanks!

Ill be sure to upload new stuff as soon as I have my copy of the game.

Since would help show folks the general flow of things better / how combat is.

Don't mention it, man!!

For sure, sounds like a plan. Makes sense! I think I speak for everyone when I say you make deciding to try a game a much easier decision than it would be without your impressions and wealth of information. Can't wait to check those out! I subscribed to your channel around the time you started sharing your NAtURAL DOCtRINE footage with us, so I'll be alerted as soon as it goes live. ^_^

Jucksalbe

Banned
Q: I enjoyed the anime, but did not like the second half from where the story shifts to a totally new game.
A: You are in luck, this game follows its own original story and takes place after Heathcliff (Kayaba Akihiko) is defeated and does not leave the world of Sword Art Online.

Oh, suddenly I'm much more interested in this game. Let's see how import impressions turn out.

Parakeetman

Don't mention it, man!!

For sure, sounds like a plan. Makes sense! I think I speak for everyone when I say you make deciding to try a game a much easier decision than it would be without your impressions and wealth of information. Can't wait to check those out! I subscribed to your channel around the time you started sharing your NAtURAL DOCtRINE footage with us, so I'll be alerted as soon as it goes live. ^_^

I still wonder if I should switch all the vids to public or not. Since lately YT has been way too flag happy, along with anon users that go around flagging things.

I dont mind getting hit by the automated system, but when it comes to the human driven ones not as much.

Feel bad for the folks who sub, but I have most of the more recent vids as unlisted. Since they just are really more for use here at GAF.

Oh, suddenly I'm much more interested in this game. Let's see how import impressions turn out.

Personally I like the story in this a lot better. Granted some things are "odd" but at least it doesnt break apart the world folks got connected to with the series. As mentioned since I did not play the original PSP title too the end after having found out about the Vita one I really want to see how things end. Plus with the new addition of the Hollow Area & Filia changes things up a little too.

I don't think this has been posted here - SAO Vita is getting a lot of free DLC in May and a big update in July.

Hey thanks for that info Hasemo. I generally dont check a lot of the non major JP sites which is why I miss on the faster info they provide. D: Also to save $$$ try not to buy famitsu all that often. Since usually after looking through it once I rarely go back to it. Ill add you in the credits section for the new info. Give me a bit of time but will put it up today.

*Edit added to the OP along with you to the credits section.

---

『5月から毎週DLCを無料配信、7月に大型アップデートで新規要素を大量追加』
Starting from May free weekly DLC updates, Large contents update planned for July.

レベルキャップが250に、大型攻略イベント「グランドクエスト」を追加、新フィールドやマップを追加
サチとのデート話題、イベントCGを追加、アルゴがパートナーに出来るように
新エリア用ボス、高レベルモンスターを追加、難易度やシステムを調整
Level Cap raised to 250, Large conquest event [Grand Quest], New field / Map, Date - Dialog with Sachi, Event CG, Allowing Argo to be used as a partner, boss for new area, high level monsters, difficulty and system balancing / tweaking.

Is the general quick and dirty translation of what to expect from the slated content updates.

tensuke

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! It's a bit longer of a wait, but I'll totally get the NA version to support western releases (Digimon plz)! Blasting the OST in excitement <3

Hope we get the same DLC/content in the other releases, too. And LOL at the pic in the OP, Parakeetman!

Parakeetman

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! It's a bit longer of a wait, but I'll totally get the NA version to support western releases (Digimon plz)! Blasting the OST in excitement <3

Hope we get the same DLC/content in the other releases, too. And LOL at the pic in the OP, Parakeetman!

Glad you enjoy the pic. Couldnt think of a better use for it than this situation with the announcement lol

Korten

Banned
So I don't like the SAO series... But will this have character creation and I can play as the created character? Cause if I can just ignore the story and play them with fun combat, it maybe worth it...

Parakeetman

So I don't like the SAO series... But will this have character creation and I can play as the created character? Cause if I can just ignore the story and play them with fun combat, it maybe worth it...

Yes it does have that, but for the story you will still be referred to as Kirito is what I remember reading in regards to how it works.

Tagg9

Has Bamco stated whether or not the game is getting a dub? I actually liked the Aniplex dub for the anime...

Parakeetman

Has Bamco stated whether or not the game is getting a dub? I actually liked the Aniplex dub for the anime...

Perhaps E3 will be a larger announcement. As seems like what we got with that official announcement is about it for info for the time being.

gpn

Maybe we'll get a Gamestop exclusive physical release like One Piece: Unlimited World Red and Tales of Hearts R.

Parakeetman

Maybe we'll get a Gamestop exclusive physical release like One Piece: Unlimited World Red and Tales of Hearts R.

Dear god for the sake of the people in the US I hope not. Since its never cool when a game gets chopped up like that.

Parakeetman

Someone is already streaming the game.
According to the title, he'll be doing it for 2 more hours.

Managed to catch a few minutes of the stream. Seems like the guy was still getting used to things. Its nice to see how they did away with the old menu commands and went more for an graphical icon type of interface when changing out things.
Looks quite good and cant wait to get mine tomorrow.

Though fucking amazon and their 1 day late bullshit from launch isnt cool. Wonder what idiot went and slept with the good idea fairy for that one.

Anyways another LE is coming from a different source so should have that by noon if things go as planned. Checked around locally too and looks like stores sold out of copies who had it early which was good to see. Amazon JP still has the standard and LE in stock as of 4 hours ago. My guess is if the game is good it will suddenly change tomorrow evening / friday.

One thing Im thinking of doing if I upload footage and leave it public is not record the opening which would have a song Id imagine. Since last time even with the videos unlisted am guessing the automated system is what picked it up in the previous PSP vids I did and flagged it. But thankfully nothing happened.

i kinda like the OT , dat Hp bars lol..

I will stay here to know if the Asia version is localisation is in there.
Also i'm curious how what escuse they will have to get leafa in there , was it
a server bug
, like the previous game ?

Parakeetman

i kinda like the OT , dat Hp bars lol..

I will stay here to know if the Asia version is localisation is in there.
Also i'm curious how what escuse they will have to get leafa in there , was it
a server bug
, like the previous game ?

As the game is a remake basically of infinity moment, am sure all the "settings" of the characters from that story will be the same in this one.

Torraz

Great OT!

This free DLC announcement is making it hard to decide on a course of action.

The VITA would need to correspond to the region of the game for the DLC to work, right?

I was thinking of buying the Japanese or Asian version, but switching the vita to a different region every time I play a different game is a bit of a pita. On the other hand I would really like a boxed copy.

Parakeetman

Great OT!

This free DLC announcement is making it hard to decide on a course of action.

The VITA would need to correspond to the region of the game for the DLC to work, right?

I was thinking of buying the Japanese or Asian version, but switching the vita to a different region every time I play a different game is a bit of a pita. On the other hand I would really like a boxed copy.

Thanks!

Yeah unfortunately for downloading DLC you will need your VITA to be set to the correct region. From word I got from other users updates on the other hand as in actual game version updates are done differently so can still have import titles updated even if you are using the PSN region of your choice. Same goes for things like PSN cards and codes to register for DLC. It has to correspond with the correct region for PSN.

Its very unfortunate that Sony did what they did with the whole way the Vita works with accounts / regions and such. Granted the system is region free the whole way of having folks jump through hoops to change psn regions was highly unfortunate and poorly thought through. Its one thing that I really think someone needs to lean on sony hard with some sort of campaign to get them to try and change the stance if they really are serious about driving more vita sales. Since the upside is people want to spend money within the various Sony related networks. Its not like folks are asking for something which would cause security issues. As both the PS4 and PS3 for example work on the very principle of what people would like with Vita functionality. Asides from well the other obvious one which is cheaper mem card prices.

Stuart444

No news but assumed they won't. I like the dub as well but considering how unlikely it was for them to bring it over, I doubt they would risk licensing the dub for a Vita game.

Also just paid Amiami for my order. Should be sent out tomorrow via SAL aka a nice long 2 week wait for it haha. Luckily apart from Watch Dogs, my other purchases up until the end of June are import related so I'll have plenty of wait time to play previous purchases like SAO :p

Parakeetman

There is a day one patch 1.01 that improves stability ready as of now. One day left.

Interesting, you would think the OHP would have that info but does not seem like it. Guess its due to the game not being out yet, so would imagine they will add the news tomorrow.

Also looks like they kinda messed up the formatting on their OHP with the Topics / News section being out of alignment with the background wtf.

They did add the "Beaters Hall" (never liked that idiotic sounding term) to the OHP also. Which basically is a guide for general game mechanics for new players. All in Japanese though. Am kinda looking at it wondering if I should bother taking time editing it (the graphics) into English just like I did with the characters & weapons. Though I hate translating things, so kinda leaning against not doing it haha.

For those that can read Japanese here it is. Helps answer some questions people might have about the games mechanics and such.

http://sao-hf.bngames.net/special/beater.php

mankoto

I'm still contemplating on getting the US release... All I have to say is thank God it's not physical otherwise it'd be in impulse buy territory.

Also, there is a big update in July... Maybe to coincide with the US release?

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/23/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-receive-major-update-july/

According to Game Jouhou’s report, a major update is scheduled for Hollow Fragment in July. This update will raise the level cap to 250, and will also add a new feature called “Grand Quests,” along with a new events, fields, and maps.

Since the level cap is being increased, the development team will also be adding new dungeons and bosses to go with it. The update will also add higher level monsters.

On the partner and relationship side of things, more dating event features with Sachi will be added, and Argo the information seller can now join your party as an ally. The difficulty and various system functions will also be adjusted.

Additionally, starting in May there will be weekly downloadable content, which will start out with items for lower level characters and a Kirito avatar from the Fairy Dance arc of Sword Art Online. This wave of DLC will carry on into the month of June, and will all be free.

Sitrus

I watched the first 2 seasons of the anime, is that the point where the story of the game starts?
Is the game actually good?

Yes you start off the game at a high level. due to the story taking place after Kirito and the others have fought their way through 75 floors before hand. This story does not start from the beginning of the whole Sword Art Online incident.

Getting to play the game in about 5 hours so I will post impressions on framerate, resolution and such then. Cannot wait :D

Parakeetman

I'm still contemplating on getting the US release... All I have to say is thank God it's not physical otherwise it'd be in impulse buy territory.

Also, there is a big update in July... Maybe to coincide with the US release?

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/23/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-receive-major-update-july/

If you read the OP already wrote all of that in there along with a post about a page back. Hasemo was the one who brought it to attention originally.

I watched the first 2 seasons of the anime, is that the point where the story of the game starts?
Is the game actually good?

The section where the game starts is from after Kirito defeats Heathcliff (Kayaba Akihiko). I have experience with the PSP version and considering how I liked that game and this one looks a lot better Ill say "yes" we can expect a pretty good game.

Getting to play the game in about 5 hours so I will post impressions on framerate, resolution and such then. Cannot wait :D

Thats not really what should be the focus on the game and what I was talking about earlier in a different thread with people focusing on the wrong things these days when it comes to looking at a game. No offence to you, though but unfortunately you just happened to be the very one who said what I was exactly railing about a day or so ago lol.

Ill be working on getting videos done and such when mine arrives in a few hours. Am interested to see how many large changes to the game system there is over all. Which already seems to be quite a bit from what has been seen from released footage.

Stuart444

I'll be stalking this thread to see what people think of the game while I wait on mines to be sent off... and to arrive of course. :p

Also might check niconico or something for gameplay vids/streams later

Gbraga

Do I have to worry about the US release cutting something from the dating parts? I'm gonna watch the anime just so I can play this cause I loved the announcement trailer.

Stuart444

Do I have to worry about the US release cutting something from the dating parts? I'm gonna watch the anime just so I can play this cause I loved the announcement trailer.

I honestly don't think so but just watch out for info up until it's release I guess.

Same for me. I only read the first novel. Can't wait for this game then.

I just ordered the first LN the other day, out next month in the UK :D

Sora_N

I honestly don't think so but just watch out for info up until it's release I guess.

I just ordered the first LN the other day, out next month in the UK :D

Have you read it before?

I never watched the anime but really enjoyed the first novel. I didn't read the ones after though.

Stuart444

Have you read it before?

I never watched the anime but really enjoyed the first novel. I didn't read the ones after though.

Not fully, read little bits/sections when it was on baka tsuki but not all of it in its entirety.

I enjoyed the anime so I'm sure I'll enjoy all the LNs as they get released

Zephyx

Happy it's getting localized but I'm sad it's digital only. Will still pick this up though. I like what I'm seeing on the trailers but I have no knowledge of the anime atm. Based on the posts here, it seems like I need to watch a few episodes to understand the story but I need to find time for that. :D

Managed to catch a few minutes of the stream. Seems like the guy was still getting used to things. Its nice to see how they did away with the old menu commands and went more for an graphical icon type of interface when changing out things.
Looks quite good and cant wait to get mine tomorrow.

Very excited to hear your impressions on the game. :p

Parakeetman

I doubt they would cut anything considering that even if they wanted to I doubt they would have enough time with the window being summer 2014. Also its a pretty big feature of the game so the smart move would be not to or else risk pissing off all the fans, who would be the front line of sales.

My bad. I only skimmed it when it was originally up.

No problem, lots of new info had appeared yesterday in the afternoon or was it evening? So updated the thread then.

Parakeetman

7xG3sZZ.jpg

tumblr_mx2y80kfZI1rktdaso1_500.png

and from not playing the other game... D:
i716antyvRr45.gif

Sitrus

Thats not really what should be the focus on the game and what I was talking about earlier in a different thread with people focusing on the wrong things these days when it comes to looking at a game. No offence to you, though but unfortunately you just happened to be the very one who said what I was exactly railing about a day or so ago lol.
Just to chime in and say that I am one of those who plays games without caring for fps or resolution. Heck I enjoy the stuttery Akibas trip 2 xD and the Jak ports. Just going to put those for those who care about that. For me, if there a fun game I'll play it. I am expecting HF to be a great game though.

Parakeetman

Just to chime in and say that I am one of those who plays games without caring for fps or resolution. Heck I enjoy the stuttery Akibas trip 2 xD and the Jak ports. Just going to put those for those who care about that. For me, if there a fun game I'll play it. I am expecting HF to be a great game though.

Anyone who cared about FPS / Resolution would have freaked the fuck out over the PSP version. Seriously. lol

Top Bottom