• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

LordAlu

Just completed my first proper run of Metroid: Zero Mission 100%. Got an in-game time of 1:10:51. For reference, the current WR is 50:58 :D

In case anyone is interested, I've highlighted it here. :)

danielcw

Just completed my first proper run of Metroid: Zero Mission 100%. Got an in-game time of 1:10:51. For reference, the current WR is 50:58 :D

In case anyone is interested, I've highlighted it here. :)

Can't watch the video right now.
EDIT: I follow you on Twitch to watch the run later.

What are you playing on?
Did you use an established route, or plot your own?

How comofrtable do you feel about advanced maneuvers?

I never attempted a 100% run, but Metroid ZM is my second favourite game of all time, so maybe I should give it a try. Would be really surprised if I get below 1:30.

LordAlu

Can't watch the video right now.
EDIT: I follow you on Twitch to watch the run later.

What are you playing on?
Did you use an established route, or plot your own?

How comofrtable do you feel about advanced maneuvers?

I never attempted a 100% run, but Metroid ZM is my second favourite game of all time, so maybe I should give it a try. Would be really surprised if I get below 1:30.
I'm playing on emulator (VBA-M) and I'm using my SNES controller into a USB adapter.

Kirbymastah provided me with some videos to use and to explain some routes. I've mainly used the same route as the WR holder (although an older video and not his current WR). I'll link them here:
I'm pretty comfortable now with the more advanced stuff except Infinite Double Bomb Jumping, but thankfully that isn't really used much and Infinite Single Bomb Jumping works fine too - it's just slower. My main problems are execution and the Iron Ted boss fight.

The game is great fun to run. It's taken me a few weeks to get the route down nicely and another few to get a full run, but it's fast paced and relatively easy to memorize too. I'd definitely encourage you to give it a try. I'm gonna continue at it and also learn Metroid Fusion (probably after ESA) since it's a relatively similar game control wise.

Velcro Fly

New WR for Link Between Worlds. 1:45.27 is the time. It can definitely go lower than that too it seems. Some new tricks in Ice Ruins I believe made a 7 minute time save possible from the old WR.

http://www.twitch.tv/viskiv

Doing another run in a few minutes too I believe.

Anth0ny

Just another reason why LBW is so godlike... it's even speed run friendly! Sub 2 hours already is fantastic.

I hope we get something similar with the Wii U Zelda.

Arc07

dat 1:43

Didn't get the chaos but still funny.
G42Eltf.gif

Velcro Fly

Outstanding! He was on a sort of run when I went to bed early this morning but he died on Tiny-Huge Island so I said it's time for sleep I'll hear about whatever he's done when I wake up.

Not Aaron

Neo Member
r0Ns975.png

The new world record for Metroid Prime: Hunters 100% (single-segment) is now 1:19:40.
100% means all upgrades collected, including the Omega Cannon (adds to % completion).
1:19:40 is in-game time. It was roughly 1:29:17 RTA.
Here's a link to the video:
http://www.twitch.tv/amhite/c/4115701
I got it about four hours ago. If any of you watched my run during the Metroid Marathon, I sincerely apologize. I was nervous. However, I am 14 minutes faster now!

TUSR

Banned
Puncayshun is going to cut Sig's time eventually. We are going to relive 2012 when it was Sig vs. Nero.

1:43:30 or bust

LordAlu

r0Ns975.png

The new world record for Metroid Prime: Hunters 100% (single-segment) is now 1:19:40.
100% means all upgrades collected, including the Omega Cannon (adds to % completion).
1:19:40 is in-game time. It was roughly 1:29:17 RTA.
Here's a link to the video:
http://www.twitch.tv/amhite/c/4115701
I got it about four hours ago. If any of you watched my run during the Metroid Marathon, I sincerely apologize. I was nervous. However, I am 14 minutes faster now!
I enjoyed your Metroid Marathon run, plus it's not often you see someone running a Metroid game that isn't Prime/Super/Fusion. Was very interesting to watch as well, especially some of the missile glitches.

Not Aaron

Neo Member
Is he Japanese or is there a technical/gameplay reason to use the Japanese version?
(or both)
I'm the runner. I run the JP version because a teleporter near the end of the run works in the JP version and not in the ENG version. It also has less text.

I enjoyed your Metroid Marathon run, plus it's not often you see someone running a Metroid game that isn't Prime/Super/Fusion. Was very interesting to watch as well, especially some of the missile glitches.
Thanks! You'll certainly enjoy my more recent runs then (no silly deaths and all the tricks are included!). They're a lot better. It'll be a better run next year, too. Promise.

TUSR

Banned
he fucking choked on the easiest bowser throw. what a dink.

he has the ability to get WR, that one -44.9 split is nuts.

Velcro Fly

Cosmo doesn't choke under the pressure for an 18:32 OoT any%

He said he was going to end any% and he's 28 seconds ahead. Even without an iQue it's still a pretty good WR

LordAlu

Just had a new PB on Metroid: Zero Mission.

trm-mzms_22_zps14b42d1d.png

Only a 15 second improvement, but it's an improvement! Made all the more impressive to me considering I almost threw the entire thing away and lost nearly three minutes thanks to some stupid mistakes.

Streamed it on Twitch (in two parts due to resetting the stream on account of frame drops) - can be watched here (1) (2).

TUSR

Banned
Just had a new PB on Metroid: Zero Mission.

trm-mzms_22_zps14b42d1d.png

Only a 15 second improvement, but it's an improvement! Made all the more impressive to me considering I almost threw the entire thing away and lost nearly three minutes thanks to some stupid mistakes.

Streamed it on Twitch (in two parts due to resetting the stream on account of frame drops) - can be watched here (1) (2).
Damn dude good stuff, I gotta follow you on twitch.

Velcro Fly

So there are some pretty cool spotlight things going on for some speedrunners. Getting on the front page of Twitch and doing some no reset runs is pretty neat.

Released

I just got sub 1:30 in A Link to the Past last night with this run. Feels good.

silkysmooth said:
So there are some pretty cool spotlight things going on for some speedrunners. Getting on the front page of Twitch and doing some no reset runs is pretty neat.

Andy has the spotlight tonight, and we're doing an all category race of ALttP. Should be fun :>

LordAlu

Been finally getting the chance to put some practice in with Zero Mission recently:

Had two PBs in one day (1) (2)

trm-mzms_23_zpscb283010.png

trm-mzms_25_zps1a2607f8.png

Also had a four way race with some of the top Zero Mission players in Dragonfangs, mobiusman and samthedigital. I lost it obviously but it was damn good fun and I'll be doing that a lot more often.

I just got sub 1:30 in A Link to the Past last night with this run. Feels good.

Andy has the spotlight tonight, and we're doing an all category race of ALttP. Should be fun :>
Nice run! When's the spotlight on? I might have to catch a VoD being a UKer :D

So many good games I'll be missing due to work... damn. Looks like I'll be hitting up the archives hard this time!

Who knows though, schedule is all over the place due to time variation.

Top Bottom