• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

Going to look into Arctic Scavengers. Seems like the type of theme I would be into. Is it only dice? No minis? I'm also going to check out K2. I started reading Into Thin Air last night and I've always had a fascination with Everest and K2.

Went to Ikea on Saturday and bought some furniture to display my humble collection so far. Plenty of room for expansion in here:

eCWPja4l.jpg

flyover

Nice. I got the exact same piece of IKEA furniture for the exact same purpose! It works great (and they have some boxes/drawers that fit in it nicely, too).

Leunam

Easy to put together and seemingly the perfect size. The bay at the far left also has a copy of Zombie Dice and a deck of Werewolf cards that I backed on Kickstarter. I'll make that my 'little games' slot.

joelseph

Yeah, it's great. Too bad the expansion is in limbo.

Just found the thread in their general forum on BGG where the designer spoils the limboed spoiler and it contains a building almost word for word of what I wished for. Here is to hoping we can convince him to kickstart it.

I wish there was a mechanic to filter the contested deck beyond being first player in the round. Nothing worse than losing a game you won majority contested simply because you drew grenades instead of people.

I would love to see a new building that once built let you look at the top 2 cards of the contested deck, put one on the bottom and keep the other on top.

Air Traffic Control
6 Build Time
On your turn you may look at the top 2 cards of the contested deck. Put one on the bottom of the contested deck and the other on top.

Another idea for a building I had was a low build time building that once built would allow your unused snipers to skirmish for 1 during the skirmish for contested card. Often times I find that using a sniper during the skirmish is a wash, this would help break ties.

joelseph

I said dice when I meant cards. Go me.

Thanks for the insight. Hopefully my local shop carries it.

Chances are they won't have it but they might get it. The story goes this was the 2nd deck builder behind Dominion in 2009. Rio Grande bought rights to publish and sat on it over the art for 4 years. When it was finally released in 2013 it tanked under no PR push. Recent online reviews have rekindled interest in the game and have cleared out current distribution stock. If you find the game on a store shelf buy it. Rio Grande is saying a reprint is hitting stores soon.

Draxal

Going to look into Arctic Scavengers. Seems like the type of theme I would be into. Is it only dice? No minis? I'm also going to check out K2. I started reading Into Thin Air last night and I've always had a fascination with Everest and K2.

Went to Ikea on Saturday and bought some furniture to display my humble collection so far. Plenty of room for expansion in here:

eCWPja4l.jpg

Is that a Kallax? I'm kinda salty that Expedit was discontinuned (althought Ikea's justification was 100% legit); so if I were to purchase additional Kallax models they would look out of place with each other.

Leunam

It is. What was the reason for getting rid of the old line? Is it because it's really fucking heavy? I have the large one against the wall in my living room.

And the Kallax was way easier to put together. The wooden dowels weren't as fiddly.

eCWPja4l.jpg

Having room to display your Lego modulars is a huge bonus!

ultron87

Ha, I actually just bought a Kallax. Haven't put it together yet but it'll definitely serve to take some of the pressure off my old ass 20 dollar Ikea shelves that have miraculously survived 3 moves. They now have a very precarious lean to them with all my games and stuff on them.

It is. What was the reason for getting rid of the old line? Is it because it's really fucking heavy? I have the large one against the wall in my living room.

And the Kallax was way easier to put together. The wooden dowels weren't as fiddly.

They use less wood.

eCWPja4l.jpg

Need more photos of your Lego collection.

EYEL1NER

I am counting myself pretty lucky that I am still in the country when this new Barnes and Noble clearance sale is starting. Picked up Power Grid for $22 and Castles of Burgandy for $20 today at one store and another store told me to come back at the end of the week. Really hoping to get one of the $20 Puerto Ricos and $20 Flashpoints then.

blurrygil

I am counting myself pretty lucky that I am still in the country when this new Barnes and Noble clearance sale is starting. Picked up Power Grid for $22 and Castles of Burgandy for $20 today at one store and another store told me to come back at the end of the week. Really hoping to get one of the $20 Puerto Ricos and $20 Flashpoints then.

Whoooooaaaaaaaaaa...

Flashpoint for $20 is certainly excellent!

EYEL1NER

Whoooooaaaaaaaaaa...

Flashpoint for $20 is certainly excellent!
Reports from the thread on BGG make it seem like only the edition of the game with a sticker showing the plastic fireman on the outside is the one that is half off (possibly the first edition I guess?). The store I went to did not have that sku, but hopefully another one will. There are 4 or 5 more B&N stores within half an hour's drive of me I think.

joelseph

Went to the BN in the Chicago Loop over lunch and was told they don't participate in game clearance sales because they are a "College" BN. That and the amount of college kids was enough to put me in a "never buying from you again" rage.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey thanks man! I think I will grab it. The wife will enjoy the theme of FP more then Castles too.

My wife loooooves CoB. Those are incredibly different games though. CoB is very dry on theme, and a bit fiddly when it comes to learning the symbols but it's so easy to get immersed in the mechanics and just enjoy the game (kind of like RftG). I own FP and the first couple expansions but at this point it's not in my Top 5 co-ops. The theme is awesome and well implemented but I find it too fiddly in setup and play for what is a really basic game mechanically. The roles are not that well balanced either imo.

My Top 5 co-ops offhand:
1. Ghost Stories
2. Arkham Horror
3. Pandemic (with On the Brink)
4. Legendary (with Dark City at minimum)
5. Hanabi

Chorazin

Played Zombicide Season 2 with just me and a buddy last night, I think that game really shines with two players, probably would also be just as good with three. Any more than that and I think it gets a little slow. Tons of fun, we were able to clear the intro mission and the first "real" mission came down to the very end. Tons of fun!

Played Zombicide Season 2 with just me and a buddy last night, I think that game really shines with two players, probably would also be just as good with three. Any more than that and I think it gets a little slow. Tons of fun, we were able to clear the intro mission and the first "real" mission came down to the very end. Tons of fun!

It doesn't really matter how many players you have in Zombicide, the game doesn't really have a proper scaling mechanic. The leveling system is supposed to technically be it, but really most player groups know how to game that system to only level when they need too.

Chorazin

It doesn't really matter how many players you have in Zombicide, the game doesn't really have a proper scaling mechanic. The leveling system is supposed to technically be it, but really most player groups know how to game that system to only level when they need too.

I didn't mean it like, scaling or mechanics wise, it just moves slower with more people because of more discussion. It's a fast paced game if players can also be fast paced. :)

Hardcore players ruin everything. I'm glad I don't play with anyone like that.

You don't have to be hard core to realize going to the next level is not needed. Timing your level up is pretty much part of the game as a team.

That would make the game a bit too easy for my liking. I think you described it best as "gaming the system". It's like playing video games with cheat codes enabled. You can, but why would you? Some people find great enjoyment out of bending every rule and exploiting every single gray area rule in every game they can find. That's fine for them of course, but I'd rather not play with anyone like that. You have to keep the spirit of the game alive IMO. It's especially important for board games because people like I described above will shit up a game and not even care one bit about all the others playing.

Slacker

Hey thanks man! I think I will grab it. The wife will enjoy the theme of FP more then Castles too.

If you have a gaming buddy who likes medium-weight Euros, Castles of Burgundy is really great. If you usually play with a group, I wouldn't recommend it. I haven't heard good things about playing it with 3 or 4 players. I've only ever played with two, and I really enjoy it. But I can see how it could drag with more.

I don't personally love co-op games with other players (though I love them solitaire-style; I've played Ghost Stories and Elder Sign many many times on the iPad), but I like Flash Point. It's much more accessible to non-gamers but can still be quite challenging. Good stuff. Just don't take over and make everyone's moves for them. :p

fenners

That would make the game a bit too easy for my liking. I think you described it best as "gaming the system". It's like playing video games with cheat codes enabled. You can, but why would you? Some people find great enjoyment out of bending every rule and exploiting every single gray area rule in every game they can find. That's fine for them of course, but I'd rather not play with anyone like that. You have to keep the spirit of the game alive IMO. It's especially important for board games because people like I described above will shit up a game and not even care one bit about all the others playing.

How is managing when you go up in xp level in Zombicide "gaming the system" or using cheat codes? It's a natural element of the system - if /one/ person goes up, everyone gets punished, so you try to get as many people go up at the same time and /after/ you've got some weapons to deal with the new hordes.

It's not a gray area, it's not an exploit, it's a natural, obvious tactic, that fits with the spirit of the game. Anyone I've taught it to, it's been part of the conversation - "if you rush & kill too many zombies too quickly, you won't be ready for the tougher spawning".

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How is managing when you go up in xp level in Zombicide "gaming the system" or using cheat codes? It's a natural element of the system - if /one/ person goes up, everyone gets punished, so you try to get as many people go up at the same time and /after/ you've got some weapons to deal with the new hordes.

It's not a gray area, it's not an exploit, it's a natural, obvious tactic, that fits with the spirit of the game. Anyone I've taught it to, it's been part of the conversation - "if you rush & kill too many zombies too quickly, you won't be ready for the tougher spawning".

Exactly.

Experien

While I don't think holding back an attack in fear of increasing the threat limit is "gaming the system," I know what SillyEskimo is saying. I've read a lot of people on the internet saying the game is too easy and they are gaming the system, like...waiting in a room and just searching until they find X, Y, & Z weapons.

I do think Zombicide should be played with a sense of urgency though. Sometimes playing to the theme really amps up the gameplay and most importantly, the fun.

While I don't think holding back an attack in fear of increasing the threat limit is "gaming the system," I know what SillyEskimo is saying. I've read a lot of people on the internet saying the game is too easy and they are gaming the system, like...waiting in a room and just searching until they find X, Y, & Z weapons.

I do think Zombicide should be played with a sense of urgency though. Sometimes playing to the theme really amps up the gameplay and most importantly, the fun.

It's a game, not a roleplay. I shouldn't do silly things just because it seems thematic.

If developers want players to stay within theme, they need to take that into consideration when they design their rules.

spirity

Newcomer to the hobby, I've spent the last couple of months picking up a few bits n bobs.

Ascension: Storm of Souls
Legend of Drizzt
Lord of the Rings LCG
Pathfinder ACG
Zombicide Season 2
Thunderstone Advance
Gears of War

I'm entirely drawn to thematic games and I've really enjoyed Drizzt. I'm thinking of picking up Mice and Mystics and Runebound (when I see a copy going for a fair price). and possibly Wrath of Ashardalon. I play solo, so Descent is out, but there's a few solo variants so I might end up getting that at some point too. I was pretty hyped about Myth, but I've soured on the game somewhat.

I kinda want Dungeon Run, the upcoming SDE standalone, and Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault as well. Oh and maybe Serpents Tongue and that wild west fantasy co-op which name escapes me. This is getting expensive!

Faiz

My wife and I have played a fair bit of Ascension on iOS, just the base game, and I'm wondering if anyone would could share preferences for block 2 vs block 3 when buying into the physical editions? I'm probably getting the Year 1 collectors edition when (if) that ever comes out, but the added mechanisms in blocks 2 and 3 are appealing as well. I can only justify an one more big box + expansion though, so I'm only likely to buy block 2 or 3, not both. Do either increase the amount of player interaction significantly? That would increase desirability for us as well.

Newcomer to the hobby, I've spent the last couple of months picking up a few bits n bobs.

Ascension: Storm of Souls
Legend of Drizzt
Lord of the Rings LCG
Pathfinder ACG
Zombicide Season 2
Thunderstone Advance
Gears of War

I'm entirely drawn to thematic games and I've really enjoyed Drizzt. I'm thinking of picking up Mice and Mystics and Runebound (when I see a copy going for a fair price). and possibly Wrath of Ashardalon. I play solo, so Descent is out, but there's a few solo variants so I might end up getting that at some point too. I was pretty hyped about Myth, but I've soured on the game somewhat.

I kinda want Dungeon Run, the upcoming SDE standalone, and Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault as well. Oh and maybe Serpents Tongue and that wild west fantasy co-op which name escapes me. This is getting expensive!

I don't see how Dungeon Run would even work solo, major part of the whole game is the backstabbing 2nd portion.

spirity

I don't see how Dungeon Run would even work solo, major part of the whole game is the backstabbing 2nd portion.

Yeah, thats why I'm not so sure on it. It can be played solo, but as you say, the games ace in the hole really revolves around the threat of being backstabbed. But the game does look fun all the same.

joelseph

I pulled the trigger on Star Realms by White Wizard games today. Feel free to reiterate how amazing the game is if you were lucky enough to Kick Start it. Super pumped.

fenners

Yeah, thats why I'm not so sure on it. It can be played solo, but as you say, the games ace in the hole really revolves around the threat of being backstabbed. But the game does look fun all the same.

I was thoroughly uninspired by Dungeon Run when it was demo'ed to me :(

XShagrath

I really REALLY wanted to like Dungeon Run. The battle mechanics are really cool, but the transition from co-op to PvP sucks, in my opinion.

Got my Marvel Dice Masters today (and expansions for Legendary)...I guess make mine Marvel or something.
Oh god, I bought into the hype too. I ordered a starter set and 10 boosters at gohastings when they had it in stock for a very brief time. I almost hate myself because I'm not the biggest fan of Quarriors, but I like dice and and Marvel...so...

I should have my copy by next week, then we shall see if I made a mistake or not. The total cost wasn't that bad (<$40 shipped) so I'm not in to hole for that much. If I end up hating it, I can sell it for roughly what I put into it, maybe more if demand is still high.

Phthisis

I pulled the trigger on Star Realms by White Wizard games today. Feel free to reiterate how amazing the game is if you were lucky enough to Kick Start it. Super pumped.

I also bought it the other week. Really fun game. Contemplating buying another set so I can play the raids and co-op stuff with friends.

Oh god, I bought into the hype too. I ordered a starter set and 10 boosters at gohastings when they had it in stock for a very brief time. I almost hate myself because I'm not the biggest fan of Quarriors, but I like dice and and Marvel...so...

I should have my copy by next week, then we shall see if I made a mistake or not. The total cost wasn't that bad (<$40 shipped) so I'm not in to hole for that much. If I end up hating it, I can sell it for roughly what I put into it, maybe more if demand is still high.

I liked quarriors for what it is, but I like Dice Masters way, way more. The similarities are mostly cosmetic.

I liked quarriors for what it is, but I like Dice Masters way, way more. The similarities are mostly cosmetic.
People keep saying that but I it looks like it plays almost exactly like Quarriors. Granted I have yet to play it and basing it off of videos so I may be completely off base.

What I think I would like about this more that normal Quarriors is the two sides being able to purchase from their own personal dice pool instead of one community pool. My problem with Quarriors was it always felt like a race to the most expensive die. With different dice pools you could set up your own strategy independent of your opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom