• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save A Life: Naughty Dog fan leather smith fighting cancer (Last stretch ~1.1k left!)

If it is a stock problem, I just want them to say that. I bought stuff to help David, the stuff was an after thought. I'd rather have them be up front and honest, let David recover, then move on from there.

I'm not in a position to allow $150 purchase to just slide. I normally wouldn't pay that much for a book bag but because of the situation I was okay with going over what I normally would.

I figured I'd have the bag in time for the final year of my academic life. I graduate in three weeks and for all intents and purposes this book bag will barely be used now. Even so I was okay with waiting because of his situation. They ignored my inquires for months until I wrote that I was disappointed in the lack of professionalism at which point I received an apology and told it would be shipped "next week" and a tracking number would be sent. That was over a month ago. Since then they've ignored several of my emails including my last in which I said regrettably I would need to proceed with a charge back if I don't have solid information regarding my order or a confirmation number by May 1st.

I hate that I have to take that action, but at this point everything aside I can't afford to keep being lied to about shipment dates, and pleas to "not contact David" then hearing he doesn't know (or didn't) how badly things have gone for his customers/supporters.

At this point his go fund me page has promised an update from him directly that has not shown up and that was days ago. I don't feel like David is faking an illness or that this was a scam. I think in desperation to raise funds whoever was running this "Jackson" or "Michelle" who was the signed name on the email to me, lied about their stock levels and really don't have the products to send out. At the end of the day that level of dishonesty is wrong regardless of the situation.

I wish David the best and I consider the whole thing unfortunate.

Krentist

Neo Member
I just got a response directly from David.
He said he refunded my order and deeply apologized for all the stuff going on.

I'm still looking into what these people are doing with my shop and what I can do to fix everything. From my position right now it's very difficult for me to get down there to straighten things out but no matter I will do all that I can to help everyone that are having issues like yours...

As of right now there is no reason for us to have your payment for this long with you not receiving anything yet.. That is ridiculous..I've gone ahead and sent you a refund for now until I can figure out someway to make everything right..

Right now the important thing is coming up with a solution and for everyone to get their money back until then. I'm not positive on what happened but these people should not be making anymore promises.. I will be contacting everyone soon with what my plan is to fix everything... Again I'm sorry for everyone having to deal with this...

I actually feel really bad for him... the dude obviously can't be running around monitoring these guys in his condition, and it sounds like he had trusted them to run his shop properly, which they clearly can't handle. Thanks to their inability to be direct and honest with people, it's tarnishing his name, which isn't fair since he sounds like a very decent guy about all this.

meow

I'm mostly just sick of the announcement of announcements that barely ever come to fruition. I'm a student trying to stay out of debt so I couldn't kick in much (like $25) and if it's a loss, so be it. I don't want a refund because I at least still believe David needs it more than I do. But I would really prefer if we just got some honesty. Did they lie about inventory? What exactly is the hold up? I'm busy, too, but it's been 4 months.

Jacqli

I don't even receive more responses from them. I was willing to wait months or whatever was nedeed because the goal was to help David, but this transparency problem is too much... It would have been easier if they had admitted from the beginning they hadn't got enough stock.

kubus

Hey all.

I've heard back from David. I'm afraid that what we feared is the truth. I feel really bad for David, the guy so does not deserve this. Here's what I last heard from him:

I've let go Jackson and the others. They were just making things worse. I know they had good intentions but right now I really need to do some damage control.

I've also gone ahead and contacted the GoFundMe site and let them know the full situation.

They told me that if I go ahead with the refund it would be bad news for my end but that they will make sure everyone gets their money back. I will explain to everyone that it's not that I don't want their help. It's just doing what's right when something like this happens.

I will still be planning on getting everyone what they ordered and when the time comes I will ask for help with shipping costs only. What I made for the fans was not to make money but to make new friends from all over that shared the same interests as me.

Right now I am still looking into everyone's orders and also looking into what my current stock looks like. For them to be offering orders that weren't even made and also attempt to make a design that was mine is extremely wrong.

Well... there you have it. This whole thing is so messed up. Obviously he can't pay all of this out of his pocket so I don't want to imagine how this will affect him. The fundraiser was a success but at what cost?

He is now figuring out how to contact everyone at once but GoFundMe doesn't really support a mass emailing function so he'll have to email everyone one by one. It may take a while (I know you've heard that countless times before) but well, this thing seems to finally get resolved. Not sure how I feel about the solution :(.

I feel bad for David, I don't know how Jackson and the other people fucked up this badly. Like they didn't think this through that people would start getting upset when they didn't get their orders.

kase23

Well after wondering for 5 months now Its good to finally hear the truth of the situation, I really don't want a refund if its at Davids expense though,
he can keep the $125 I spent at his shop & I'll write it off as a donation and If what I ordered appears in my mail box in the future then cool, and if not?
no sweat on my end.

NateDrake

Well after wondering for 5 months now Its good to finally hear the truth of the situation, I really don't want a refund if its at Davids expense though,
he can keep the $125 I spent at his shop & I'll write it off as a donation and If what I ordered appears in my mail box in the future then cool, and if not?
no sweat on my end.

This is basically how I'm approaching it. I donated to help him out with the medical expenses and all that. I happened to win a prize on the raffle, but if I get nothing then it is no loss as I didn't expect to receive anything from donating to begin with.

aristotle

no sweat on my end.

I would've done this as well, but I was refunded the money already. If I actually receive anything, then I'll give them my money since David definitely deserves it. Like I've said earlier though I've been waiting since about Nov. 11th before everything happened and he just needed some scratch to help pay for some bills. I'll gladly pay for what I ordered, if it comes, but I'm not holding my breath right now. I hope to be proven wrong though.

Well at least he has come out and said how he feels, I feel bad for the guy, if the refunds are processed then once it has all settled down I will just give back the money to him somehow. It's a shame that it has come to this though really :(

beast786

So does this mean I should disregard this email?

"Thank you so much for contacting us. I've been trying to find your info from one of the other Gaf members but had no luck. I only had your screen name.

We would like to send you a prize for helping us out when we needed it the most. Can you please send us your shipping info and we will get it out to you with our next prize shipment.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Jackson "

Cmagus

Sad to hear. People should have just been patient and let him recover first I mean the whole situation is messed and all over some stupid material items.

I donated to this because I went through a similar situation with my mother. This whole thing should never have been about items only helping him out. I feel bad because I know what his family and friends are going through. While I don't have cancer I can only imagine what David must be going through and this stress certainly isn't helping.

The constant worry, stress and the constant wanting to know or find answers to things consumes you. This whole situation must be stressing them to the max and going through something like this can really effect people I know ever since my mother passed I've had a hard time dealing with it (mostly because I never talked to many about it ) but it bothers me and I have trouble sleeping some nights.

Sure some people are bothered because things are taking awhile I understand that but I think people need to understand in this situation its not like they are sitting around thinking about screwing people over.

Taking care of someone with cancer is a full time commitment. I know because when my mother was ill I ended up moving home for a year to help care for her and it was constant doctors appointments, care, nurses appointments, juggling work and a slew of other things. After any major surgery there is alot of room for something to go wrong.

I've been following this thread for awhile and I honestly don't know what to think I mean I understand how some people can be uneasy about their stuff but overall it just bothers me the way things turned out but that's just my two cents. At least he got his surgery so hopefully he can figure out and finish his care.

Man that's so fucked up, feel so bad for David that everything got messed up. Impressed to see he's trying to do the right thing by everyone who donated.

aristotle

Sad to hear. People should have just been patient and let him recover first I mean the whole situation is messed and all over some stupid material items.

I donated to this because I went through a similar situation with my mother. This whole thing should never have been about items only helping him out. I feel bad because I know what his family and friends are going through. While I don't have cancer I can only imagine what David must be going through and this stress certainly isn't helping.

The constant worry, stress and the constant wanting to know or find answers to things consumes you. This whole situation must be stressing them to the max and going through something like this can really effect people I know ever since my mother passed I've had a hard time dealing with it (mostly because I never talked to many about it ) but it bothers me and I have trouble sleeping some nights.

Sure some people are bothered because things are taking awhile I understand that but I think people need to understand in this situation its not like they are sitting around thinking about screwing people over.

Taking care of someone with cancer is a full time commitment. I know because when my mother was ill I ended up moving home for a year to help care for her and it was constant doctors appointments, care, nurses appointments, juggling work and a slew of other things. After any major surgery there is alot of room for something to go wrong.

I've been following this thread for awhile and I honestly don't know what to think I mean I understand how some people can be uneasy about their stuff but overall it just bothers me the way things turned out but that's just my two cents. At least he got his surgery so hopefully he can figure out and finish his care.

I honestly don't understand why people keep making posts like this. Not everyone made a donation during the drive. Not everyone entered the raffle. I ordered a product long before he was asking for donations or any emergency put him in the hospital. Go back to the very first page of this thread. I ordered over 5 months ago as did many other people. We all want what's best for David, but come on. None of us screwed him over or messed up the emails, communication, raffle, donations, etc. I only ask for what I ordered long before any of this shit happened. There wasn't a single reason why my order or others were back logged when all of the items were in stock and David wasn't in the hospital.

Not everyone made an order 2 months ago or donated during the raffle. I've been more than patient as anyone can see by how long I've waited for my order. I haven't received anything but a refund from the group. If I get my order, great. I'll resend the money he's owed for the product. The lack of communication and border-line lying from the people who were supposedly helping him shouldn't be put on the people who placed orders. We had nothing to do with it. Put the blame where it belongs.

nampad

I'm not in a position to allow $150 purchase to just slide. I normally wouldn't pay that much for a book bag but because of the situation I was okay with going over what I normally would.

I figured I'd have the bag in time for the final year of my academic life. I graduate in three weeks and for all intents and purposes this book bag will barely be used now. Even so I was okay with waiting because of his situation. They ignored my inquires for months until I wrote that I was disappointed in the lack of professionalism at which point I received an apology and told it would be shipped "next week" and a tracking number would be sent. That was over a month ago. Since then they've ignored several of my emails including my last in which I said regrettably I would need to proceed with a charge back if I don't have solid information regarding my order or a confirmation number by May 1st.

I hate that I have to take that action, but at this point everything aside I can't afford to keep being lied to about shipment dates, and pleas to "not contact David" then hearing he doesn't know (or didn't) how badly things have gone for his customers/supporters.

At this point his go fund me page has promised an update from him directly that has not shown up and that was days ago. I don't feel like David is faking an illness or that this was a scam. I think in desperation to raise funds whoever was running this "Jackson" or "Michelle" who was the signed name on the email to me, lied about their stock levels and really don't have the products to send out. At the end of the day that level of dishonesty is wrong regardless of the situation.

I wish David the best and I consider the whole thing unfortunate.

Sounds just like me. I am in no position to make such an expensive purchase for a backpack but I happen to had some money when this all started so I just went with it to help him. I also needed a bag but there are many cheaper solutions for that.
I still haven't asked for a refund though and would still like to get my order after all this time.

I would've done this as well, but I was refunded the money already. If I actually receive anything, then I'll give them my money since David definitely deserves it. Like I've said earlier though I've been waiting since about Nov. 11th before everything happened and he just needed some scratch to help pay for some bills. I'll gladly pay for what I ordered, if it comes, but I'm not holding my breath right now. I hope to be proven wrong though.

How did you order/donate and when? Still haven't heard anything.

I think people here have been very very patient.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm angry at the people who turned this into a shambles, I don't want my money back - just some honest answers and the promise of the product, eventually.

Yup, this. Why'd Jackson keep sending false info via email if they knew they couldn't hit the dates they were saying? Really poor way to handle it.

In the end I'll be satisfied if I get what I ordered. The time it takes to get to me isn't really important... just give me a timeline, and if you can't hit it once you get closer then update me and let me know what went wrong, and provide a new ETA. Simple.

kubus

Received an update from David again.

[...]I got the ok finally from the GoFundMe people that the refunds will be sent out next Tuesday. I haven't been able to catch up with emails... I'm going to try and pull my contact list from my website and use a mailing site to contact everyone at once. Also for those that purchased items with Paypal I've been talking to the Paypal customer service reps to come up with a solution to refund everyone all at once. Not sure how that's going to work out but it's without a doubt going to end bad for me...

We should wait till Tuesday then and see what happens. This whole situation makes me sad :(.

geetec

Neo Member
What if we don't want refunds? I don't mind waiting until he gets better, and when he does get better I'm sure he'd like to start up shop again. He'll just have some outstanding orders, yeah, but I'm sure he can produce them and ship 'em out when he's ready. I can wait, it's no problem.

Or another alternative would be to just donate the money straight back somehow.

EDIT:

I will still be planning on getting everyone what they ordered and when the time comes I will ask for help with shipping costs only.

What happened to this?

nampad

We should wait till Tuesday then and see what happens. This whole situation makes me sad :(.

Is the Paypal part also for people who bought from his homepage or is that only in the context of GoFundMe?
I purchased a week after this thread opened from his homepage and all the later fuzz was about GoFundMe which I didn't really care for and know nothing about. Remember how they signed me up for the newsletter without me agreeing, which I then cancelled.

Yeah it's not a nice outcome to it all :(

What if we don't want refunds? I don't mind waiting until he gets better, and when he does get better I'm sure he'd like to start up shop again. He'll just have some outstanding orders, yeah, but I'm sure he can produce them and ship 'em out when he's ready. I can wait, it's no problem.

Or another alternative would be to just donate the money straight back somehow.

EDIT:

What happened to this?

Not sure what's happening regarding that, but if that's the case then I will just redontate the full amount, I don't expect him to deplete his stock/livelyhood just becuase of a fuck up by someone else.

Hopefully those 'prizes' were still available and the original people that cocked the whole thing up haven't just run off with them leaving David to clean up the mess.

Yeah I don't know, that's the main thing. I don't know anything. I don't know if anything will ever ship. I don't know if I'm still a raffle winner. I don't know anything at all.

:(

Jacqli

Yeah I don't know, that's the main thing. I don't know anything. I don't know if anything will ever ship. I don't know if I'm still a raffle winner. I don't know anything at all.

:(
Sadly, I think all of us are in the same boat... I just feel so disappointed, not because of my order, but for the whole situation. I do not even know what is true anymore with those guys.

Jack Torrance

Neo Member
Sadly, I think all of us are in the same boat... I just feel so disappointed, not because of my order, but for the whole situation. I do not even know what is true anymore with those guys.

This.

I'm just sad for the whole situation now. I didn't want it to become this clusterfuck. I feel bad that the beneficiary now has inherited a nightmare situation.

That said, did anyone get their refunds as promised?

kubus

Sorry guys, David sent me a message last Wednesday but I didn't see the notification for it so I only read it now.

• He said that the refunds should've gone out that day (Wednesday) and would arrive in everyone's accounts within 3-5 business days. So that would be the 14th at the latest.
  • The PayPal donations are a lot trickier, David will try to send those out manually.

Sorry for the delay in relaying this message.

I'm still finding it weird that there hasn't been a public statement

Edit:

Ah I see there is one now on the FB page

I don't see any update, last post was April?

I've been in contact with David as well and apparently he is looking in to my order and should have an answer on Friday as to what is happening. He said that he plans to refund donations and then ship once possible.

Sorry guys, David sent me a message last Wednesday but I didn't see the notification for it so I only read it now.

• He said that the refunds should've gone out that day (Wednesday) and would arrive in everyone's accounts within 3-5 business days. So that would be the 14th at the latest.
  • The PayPal donations are a lot trickier, David will try to send those out manually.

Sorry for the delay in relaying this message.

Any news for the people who ordered from the shop prior to the GoFundme campaign? I haven't heard anything about that order since November when I made it. It wasn't a paypal transaction either.

nampad

Any news for the people who ordered from the shop prior to the GoFundme campaign? I haven't heard anything about that order since November when I made it. It wasn't a paypal transaction either.

I also want to know about this, my order was with Paypal though.

Also, which email adress is the best to reach David? After all the clusterfuck with Michelle and Jackson, I am not sure anymore.

nampad

Anyone heart something? Maybe you kubus?

I will probably go abroad for 3 months so if he can't ship my order soon, I'll have to cancel and issue a refund. Can't deal with customs when I am not there and it's not like I don't need the money as I will be an unpaid intern and have to live on savings.

aristotle

Anyone heart something? Maybe you kubus?

I will probably go abroad for 3 months so if he can't ship my order soon, I'll have to cancel and issue a refund. Can't deal with customs when I am not there and it's not like I don't need the money as I will be an unpaid intern and have to live on savings.

At this point, cancel it. If he hasn't had the time to respond to you, you don't have the time to give him the benefit of the doubt.

kubus

Did anyone get a refund? I made all my donations with paypal I think, so I can't check. From your comments I get that you didn't...? :(

I'll reach out to David again and ask what's going on in any case.

kubus

Got a reply:

David said:
As of right now all they told me was they would be issuing the refunds in groups. Since the amount was so high it's going to take a while for the refund to process. They did start issuing them on the day I told you. It just takes time.

As for people who donated through Paypal can you let then I am doing all I can to refund them manually. I would recommend canceling from their side or filing a claim to get it moving faster. That's going to really hurt me in the end but the important thing is everyone getting their money back right away.

nampad

At this point, cancel it. If he hasn't had the time to respond to you, you don't have the time to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Did anyone get a refund? I made all my donations with paypal I think, so I can't check. From your comments I get that you didn't...? :(

I'll reach out to David again and ask what's going on in any case.

Bought a backpack directly from the homepage (no GoFundMe) and payed with Paypal. I set a deadline but does anybody know how easy it is to get a refund through Paypal as the order is already half a year ago?

I bought it because I wanted to help but you guys are probably right, I should just try to get a refund. I can't imagine that it is so difficult to at least contact everybody. Even David didn't do it after he apparently let Jackson and Michelle go. I am starting to not to care about David anymore (hell, it could still be a scam) and just say "fuck it, I want my money back".

This will probably be the last time I go for something like this in a long time.

edit:
Got a reply:

Thank you kubus, going for the refund.

aristotle

I paid with a CC like 6 months ago. I can't really be of any help with the Paypal stuff. I'm just glad I didn't get burned in the long run. I have no idea how many people got burned on this since a vocal minority is here on GAF I assume.

Top Bottom