• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

KtSlime

Saw a guy run head first into train taking off(most likely was very drunk)

I ran to help him and got pushed away by a Japanese lady who looked like she knew what she was doing. Then was just a nosy onlooker.

Luckily it seems like he is going to be okay... but the thing that freaked me out is when I searched for it on twitter to check on the guy, this is what came up"

'上中里にて今日遊びに来てた外国人さんを見かけるなど"

"At kami-naka zato: Saw the foreigner that came to play today , etc...."

I don't even know how to take it, but it semi freaks me out that I'm being watched and if I rush to do something people will write about it on their twitter!

As foreigners we are always being watched.

Quite a few earthquakes this morning.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice earthquake to round off my trip. Also I've had no news from the UK for the whole two weeks, and now we get a bloody 12 year old having a baby. Thanks Great Britain :/

Back from Japan today. What a magnificent country!

If you want to see my tweets from the trip, then you should check out my...Twitter! I tweeted a few pix from Glorious Nippon whilst out there, and I'm currently working on ingesting all this video footage that I shot for...something else.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nice earthquake to round off my trip. Also I've had no news from the UK for the whole two weeks, and now we get a bloody 12 year old having a baby. Thanks Great Britain :/
The weird thing I came back to was London buses now display the time on LED panels.

I'm back home now sorting the pictures I took. Took about 14 000 pics, so it'll take a while. Lots of doubles and pics from different angles since I like to do that though :p

Here's some food pics though:
t98k0sj.jpg

I took pics of everything I ate except some sandwiches from Family Mart and the one time I ate a Big Mac at McDonalds, so all the pics are here if you're interested:
http://imgur.com/a/bvoq8

fuzzyset

I'll be spending the summer in Hong Kong (is there a HK GAF?), but before I fly back to the States, I'm gonna spend a week in Japan. Flying out of Narita, but can start my journey where ever.

GAF, what should I do in Japan?

hwalker84

I'm back home now sorting the pictures I took. Took about 14 000 pics, so it'll take a while. Lots of doubles and pics from different angles since I like to do that though :p

Here's some food pics though:

I took pics of everything I ate except some sandwiches from Family Mart and the one time I ate a Big Mac at McDonalds, so all the pics are here if you're interested:
http://imgur.com/a/bvoq8

Mind if I put this in the OP?

The weird thing I came back to was London buses now display the time on LED panels.

Yeah I literally just noticed this 20 minutes ago. Can't leave the place for three weeks...

Definitely getting japan withdrawals though. Can't just walk into a corner shop and emerge with amazing food.

Trojan X

Banned
To include to the OP:

For cheap hotel borderline hostel, I recommend Sakura Hotel:
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/

Ikebukero Sakura hotel is the best one to stay in as it is closer to everything (shibuya, shinjuku, etc), and Ikebukero is more interesting to hang around it as Sunshine city is only a 20mins walk away:
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=s...=1513#q=sunshine+city+japan&safe=off&tbm=isch

Remember, only treat this hotel as a place to sleep. Don't treat it as something to hang around in as it's not that luxurious. For luxurious hotels, it is best to go to Ginza or Harajuku, but be warned, they are expensive.

Fritz

Have been in Tokyo for 3 days now and the weather kept getting worse and worse until it's raining today nonstop. Hope it gets better soon. There is only so much days I can delay all the open air activities.

Guys look for nui when searching for a hostel. Really cool.

Have been in Tokyo for 3 days now and the weather kept getting worse and worse until it's raining today nonstop. Hope it gets better soon. There is only so much days I can delay all the open air activities.

Guys look for nui when searching for a hostel. Really cool.

Damn. Bad luck. Had sun each day except for the day I was going home myself.

We had just two days of rain between the 6th and 18th of April, the day we went to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and the afternoon we left the country.

Saw Mount Fuji multiple times, from multiple angles and on multiple days. Even from the plane as we came in to land!

Saw lots and lots of sakura, from up at Nikko down to Hiroshima.

We were so, so lucky.

A geiko, with her white face makeup removed, outside of Ichiriki Chaya. Gion district, Kyoto.

The hypocenter of the 1945 explosion above Hiroshima, as displayed in the Peace Memorial Museum.

Fritz

Forecast says rain tomorrow then great afterwards. So I am doing all the museums tomorrow (which I love) and then go crazy the day after. All good.

Jake.

i've been to japan twice (2008 & 2009) and am planning on going back again this year. however, this time around i plan to be going in late sep/early october as opposed to hanami season – this shouldn't be too awful right?! please alleviate my fears haha.

how far in advance do i have to buy the JR pass?

thankfully i have a couple of friends that i should be able to stay with for most of my time tokyo, but does anyone have experience with airbnb in other cities? i haven't really been outside tokyo before, so this time i figure i'd do 1 week in tokyo and 1.5-2 weeks across osaka/kyoto/hiroshima.

time to see if my suica is still around...

how far in advance do i have to buy the JR pass?

As long as you have it before you leave, you should be ok. The earlier the better, of course. I would give probably about a week for you to receive it.

Both times, it took about 1 - 2 buisness days to process. I picked it up in person, but I'm assuming shipping would about another 3 days or so.

I'm now less than a week away! I leave April 27th.

I am so unprepared.* Jesus take the wheeeeeeeeel

*I have my Icoca + Haruka ordered, I know where to get my Osaka Amazing Pass + Kyoto Bus Pass, I've kind of planned out my first two days in Osaka, my day in Kyoto, and my day in Nara. I've got guidebooks and maps downloaded to my phone, hyperdia on there, etc etc etc.

I still feel unprepared.

You are wwaaayyyy more prepared than I was. Hell, I'd plan where to go the day before and looked up directions on the morning of. You'll be fine. :)

I'm now less than a week away! I leave April 27th.

I am so unprepared.* Jesus take the wheeeeeeeeel

*I have my Icoca + Haruka ordered, I know where to get my Osaka Amazing Pass + Kyoto Bus Pass, I've kind of planned out my first two days in Osaka, my day in Kyoto, and my day in Nara. I've got guidebooks and maps downloaded to my phone, hyperdia on there, etc etc etc.

I still feel unprepared.

You are wwaaayyyy more prepared than I was. Hell, I'd plan where to go the day before and looked up directions on the morning of. You'll be fine. :)

Thanks bud. If I know something is coming in advance (like this), I tend to really dread it. But once I get there it's smooth sailing. I expect this to happen here too!

Can't wait! Gonna take all the pictures! :D

Fritz

thankfully i have a couple of friends that i should be able to stay with for most of my time tokyo, but does anyone have experience with airbnb in other cities?

I'll be doing airbnb in Kyoto and the place seems super nice and convenient for the price of a hostel. It's a guy who rents out a little guesthouse in his parent's backyard. Perfect English. Screams "money" if you ask me. Great reviews as well.

Saw an amazing place in the Gifu prefecture between Nagoya and Takayama but it wasn't available unfortunately. I'll let you guys know how the place in Kyoto was for sure.

but does anyone have experience with airbnb in other cities? i haven't really been outside tokyo before, so this time i figure i'd do 1 week in tokyo and 1.5-2 weeks across osaka/kyoto/hiroshima.

While in Osaka, my wife and I rented a studio apartment a couple blocks from Den Den Town via AirBNB earlier this month. Great location, nice balcony view and very affordable. I can look up the info for it if you'd like.

Saya

Just returned back from my trip to Japan. It was amazing. I will write up some more thoughts and experiences and stuff later after taking a rest. :)

leroidys

Hey guys, I really need some help with my itinerary. So far it's:

June 17-22 : Tokyo [booked]
June 23 : spend the night in Hakone
June 24-25 : Stay two nights at a b&b in the countryside around Shizuoka
June 26 - July 2: Stay in Kyoto, with trips to Nara (2 Days?) <--- need lots of help here
July 3: Spend the night at Koya-san
July 4-7: Back in Tokyo
July 8: Fly out in the early AM

I feel like I have way too much time in Kyoto, but I'm not really sure. I kinda want to be there for the start of Gion Matsuri (on the 1st), but don't know if that's worth it.

I don't care much about seeing Osaka as I'm not really into nightlife, and will be spending a good deal of time in Tokyo anyway. I'm planning on probably taking a day trip to Kamakura on one of the Tokyo legs of the trip.

Any input is greatly appreciated, I'm having a lot of trouble, having never planned a trip like this before. I can hardly plan out a weekend, so I don't know why I thought I'd be able to figure out 3 weeks.

KiraFA37

Hey guys, I really need some help with my itinerary. So far it's:

June 17-22 : Tokyo [booked]
June 23 : spend the night in Hakone
June 24-25 : Stay two nights at a b&b in the countryside around Shizuoka
June 26 - July 2: Stay in Kyoto, with trips to Nara (2 Days?) <--- need lots of help here
July 3: Spend the night at Koya-san
July 4-7: Back in Tokyo
July 8: Fly out in the early AM

I feel like I have way too much time in Kyoto, but I'm not really sure. I kinda want to be there for the start of Gion Matsuri (on the 1st), but don't know if that's worth it.

You don' have too much time for Kyoto. A Japanese acquaintance told me that if you really want to sightsee Kyoto even a week isn't enough (does not include surrounding area). I agreed after spending barely 2 days in Kyoto and a week in Tokyo. Hell I spent an entire day walking through the shopping street near my hostel and there is just so much history in Kyoto. I remember when we were walking back and crossed Nijo castle which had a line in front of it which was odd since it was around 21.00. We casually joined the lined and got rewarded with a lit castle and lit cherry trees, just beautiful.

I don't care much about seeing Osaka as I'm not really into nightlife, and will be spending a good deal of time in Tokyo anyway. I'm planning on probably taking a day trip to Kamakura on one of the Tokyo legs of the trip.

It's only 15 minutes by train to Osaka so why not check it out? I visited Osaka castle and Den Den Town there. Even if you're spending time in Akihabara it's still worth checking out if you like videogames and/or anime.

Kyoto got tons of temples and shrines so you like those you can sightsee forever. There's also the monkey park in Arashiyama. I went there and it was worth the visit.

If you got the JR pass you could of course also take day trips to Kobe and eat Kobe beef in Kobe or visit Hiroshima.

Saya

Wow, where to begin. I loved this trip through Japan. We had beautiful sunny days almost every day of the trip except for the last few days in Nara, which were more cloudy and had a few drizzles. I actually got quite a tan on my face and arms from being in the sun all the time. We got a lot of things done, saw tons of temples and other interesting sites, tried so much food that I think I gained a few pounds too. My shoes are so worn now from all the walking too, but it was totally worth it.

Tokyo: 9 until 14 April
Kyoto: 14 until 18 April
Nara: 18 until 21 April

Our accommodation:

Tokyo - Khaosan Kabuki Tokyo
Very recommended. We had the room with 2 bunkbeds, so we shared with two other people. Bed and bathroom facilities were clean and fine. The hostel is in a great location, close to many restaurants and walking distance to Sensoji Temple, which looks awesome at night. There is also a 24-hour department store called Don Quixote (I think the local people call it Donkey) near there which is cool to explore. Subway Ginza line is in walking distance as well and provides easy access to Ueno and transfer to a JR line. 7-Elevens are near there too, for ATM usage.

Kyoto - Super Hotel Shijo Kawaramachi
We wanted to stay in a hostel, but everything was booked for our dates so we settled for a hotel for this part of our trip. And it wasn’t bad at all. It’s a budget hotel located in the center of Kawaramachi. And in contrast to many other hotels, this one actually provides a free breakfast so that was quite nice. It’s a simple breakfast of fresh bread, rice, salad, and some other stuff. Perfect to get some energy to start the day. The location of the hotel was excellent, about 2 minutes from Nishiki market and the Teramachi shopping district is less than 1 minute on foot. It’s also quite convenient to walk from the hotel to the Gion district and see the geishas and temples there. Also so many restaurants, bars and cafes in walking distance. The one downside is that the hotel is a bit hard to find the first time, the directions of the hotel aren't clear and we walked around for about 2 hours trying to find (unfortunately we were given wrong directions too).

Nara - Yuzan Guesthouse
For Nara we stayed in Yuzan Guesthouse. We had the private room, so can’t really comment on how the dorms were, but the private room was pretty cool. We slept on tatami mats and those were really comfortable. There’s a common room but not as lively as the Khaosan in Tokyo. Location is about 5 minutes walk from the JR Nara station. It’s also very easy to find the Nara park from here as you just have to walk straight ahead along the main road. Service was pretty good as well. The place is clean and well-maintained.

Random unorganised thoughts:

• We arrived late at Haneda airport and crashing at the airport for the night was no problem. We went down to the lower floor and tried to get some rest on the benches there. There’s a 24-hour Lawson that serves food and drinks so it was convenient.
  • At Haneda, you can also buy JR Shinkansen tickets at Tourism Travel Desk besides at the JR East office. The Tourism office opens earlier than the JR East one, so we just bought them there.
  • Everywhere we went people in Japan were so friendly and helpful to us. We met some very nice people in the most unusual palces.
  • Tokyo is still one of my favorite cities I’ve visited. Love the diversity, the parks, the shopping, the layout, and also the transportation system.
  • Kyoto’s transportation system somewhat sucks compared to Tokyo’s. It was a bit confusing for me to read the subway maps and the bus system.
  • We got “templed out” after a while in Kyoto. There are just too many too see. Luckily Kyoto is varied enough with plenty other stuff to do. At times we loved the parks surrounding the temples more than the temples itself. It’s a good idea to add some variety to your trip instead of going all out on temples imo.
  • The Sumiya onsen in Kameoka is highly recommended. Hot, but an amazing experience all in all. Best part of the onsen experience was getting out of the bath and chilling in the cool weather with a warm body. We got the private bath, which is maybe not as traditional, but it was great. Silent, quiet enjoyment of the hot spring and the area.
  • Food was less expensive than I thought. You can find a decent meal for under 1000 yen. The food was great overall, we didn’t have a bad meal there.
  • Language barrier was not a problem.
  • Travelling by Nozomi Shinkansen was amazing. We didn’t get to see Mt. Fuji, but it was still a hell of an experience. So fast and convenient.
  • As far as prices went: Tokyo > Kyoto > Nara
  • Japan is freaking beautiful even if we only saw some of the late late cherry blossoms.

About some places we visited:
  • Akihabara was a bit boring to me, maybe because I’m not much into that culture. It was fun for a while, but I wouldn’t spend there too long. Exploring the backroads of that place was fun though and I think we stumbled upon a little black market in one of the parking garages over there. They were selling all kinds of equipment for very cheap including an awesome powerback for 200 yen. Nice deal.
  • Studio Ghibli Museum was fun but less impressive the second time around. There wasn’t much newness to it for me. Still nice to visit though and the weather was great. Thanks to Scarlet for helping with tickets too! :)
  • Harajuku is awesome. I don’t mean the main roads but the little back streets filled with boutique stores which are also less crowded in general.
  • We loved the parks in Japan. Perfect for strolling, relaxing and having a great time. We visited many: Ueno, Meiji, Imperial Palace, Sumida, a bunch in Kyoto, and of course the parks in Nara.
  • Kyoto was just a blast. Loved the Nishiki market, the food (burnt ramen, ippudo ramen, and some small boutique restaurants), walking around Gion, going up the temple gardens, visiting Arashiyama, the whole onsen experience in Kameoka, and the bars/cafe area in Kawaramachi.
  • Nara was quite interesting too. Of course we visited the park and played with deers. We went to the temples, walked up the hills and ate ate ate so much. Our guesthouse had some nice recommendations for local restaurants so we tried those too.
  • In Nara we organized a tour with the Nara Student Guide organization. It was really fun and I would recommend it heartily. We were guided by Kaede, fresh graduate from Nara Tourism University, and she showed us around some temples, explained their histories, brought us to the old part of town, got us into a sake testing shop (500 yen for 6 glasses of sake, plus you can keep the little glass afterwards), and some old houses. We had a lot of fun and it was free, we just needed to buy her lunch and transportation costs.

Hmm, I think I forgot to mention some things...

I’ll post some pics once I’m done with transferring and organizing them.

hwalker84

Wow, where to begin. I loved this trip through Japan. We had beautiful sunny days almost every day of the trip except for the last few days in Nara, which were more cloudy and had a few drizzles. I actually got quite a tan on my face and arms from being in the sun all the time. We got a lot of things done, saw tons of temples and other interesting sites, tried so much food that I think I gained a few pounds too. My shoes are so worn now from all the walking too, but it was totally worth it.

Our accommodation:

Very recommended. We had the room with 2 bunkbeds, so we shared with two other people. Bed and bathroom facilities were clean and fine. The hostel is in a great location, close to many restaurants and walking distance to Sensoji Temple, which looks awesome at night. There is also a 24-hour department store called Don Quixote (I think the local people call it Donkey) near there which is cool to explore. Subway Ginza line is in walking distance as well and provides easy access to Ueno and transfer to a JR line. 7-Elevens are near there too, for ATM usage.

We wanted to stay in a hostel, but everything was booked for our dates so we settled for a hotel for this part of our trip. And it wasn’t bad at all. It’s a budget hotel located in the center of Kawaramachi. And in contrast to many other hotels, this one actually provides a free breakfast so that was quite nice. It’s a simple breakfast of fresh bread, rice, salad, and some other stuff. Perfect to get some energy to start the day. The location of the hotel was excellent, about 2 minutes from Nishiki market and the Teramachi shopping district is less than 1 minute on foot. It’s also quite convenient to walk from the hotel to the Gion district and see the geishas and temples there. Also so many restaurants, bars and cafes in walking distance. The one downside is that the hotel is a bit hard to find the first time, the directions of the hotel aren't clear and we walked around for about 2 hours trying to find (unfortunately we were given wrong directions too).

Nara - Yuzan Guesthouse
For Nara we stayed in Yuzan Guesthouse. We had the private room, so can’t really comment on how the dorms were, but the private room was pretty cool. We slept on tatami mats and those were really comfortable. There’s a common room but not as lively as the Khaosan in Tokyo. Location is about 5 minutes walk from the JR Nara station. It’s also very easy to find the Nara park from here as you just have to walk straight ahead along the main road. Service was pretty good as well. The place is clean and well-maintained.

• We arrived late at Haneda airport and crashing at the airport for the night was no problem. We went down to the lower floor and tried to get some rest on the benches there. There’s a 24-hour Lawson that serves food and drinks so it was convenient.
  • At Haneda, you can also buy JR Shinkansen tickets at Tourism Travel Desk besides at the JR East office. The Tourism office opens earlier than the JR East one, so we just bought them there.
  • Everywhere we went people in Japan were so friendly and helpful to us. We met some very nice people in the most unusual palces.
  • Tokyo is still one of my favorite cities I’ve visited. Love the diversity, the parks, the shopping, the layout, and also the transportation system.
  • Kyoto’s transportation system somewhat sucks compared to Tokyo’s. It was a bit confusing for me to read the subway maps and the bus system.
  • We got “templed out” after a while in Kyoto. There are just too many too see. Luckily Kyoto is varied enough with plenty other stuff to do. At times we loved the parks surrounding the temples more than the temples itself. It’s a good idea to add some variety to your trip instead of going all out on temples imo.
  • The Sumiya onsen in Kameoka is highly recommended. Hot, but an amazing experience all in all. Best part of the onsen experience was getting out of the bath and chilling in the cool weather with a warm body. We got the private bath, which is maybe not as traditional, but it was great. Silent, quiet enjoyment of the hot spring and the area.
  • Food was less expensive than I thought. You can find a decent meal for under 1000 yen. The food was great overall, we didn’t have a bad meal there.
  • Travelling by Nozomi Shinkansen was amazing. We didn’t get to see Mt. Fuji, but it was still a hell of an experience. So fast and convenient.
  • Japan is freaking beautiful even if we only saw some of the late late cherry blossoms.

• Akihabara was a bit boring to me, maybe because I’m not much into that culture. It was fun for a while, but I wouldn’t spend there too long. Exploring the backroads of that place was fun though and I think we stumbled upon a little black market in one of the parking garages over there. They were selling all kinds of equipment for very cheap including an awesome powerback for 200 yen. Nice deal.
  • Studio Ghibli Museum was fun but less impressive the second time around. There wasn’t much newness to it for me. Still nice to visit though and the weather was great. Thanks to Scarlet for helping with tickets too! :)
  • Harajuku is awesome. I don’t mean the main roads but the little back streets filled with boutique stores which are also less crowded in general.
  • We loved the parks in Japan. Perfect for strolling, relaxing and having a great time. We visited many: Ueno, Meiji, Imperial Palace, Sumida, a bunch in Kyoto, and of course the parks in Nara.
  • Kyoto was just a blast. Loved the Nishiki market, the food (burnt ramen, ippudo ramen, and some small boutique restaurants), walking around Gion, going up the temple gardens, visiting Arashiyama, the whole onsen experience in Kameoka, and the bars/cafe area in Kawaramachi.
  • Nara was quite interesting too. Of course we visited the park and played with deers. We went to the temples, walked up the hills and ate ate ate so much. Our guesthouse had some nice recommendations for local restaurants so we tried those too.
  • In Nara we organized a tour with the Nara Student Guide organization. It was really fun and I would recommend it heartily. We were guided by Kaede, fresh graduate from Nara Tourism University, and she showed us around some temples, explained their histories, brought us to the old part of town, got us into a sake testing shop (500 yen for 6 glasses of sake, plus you can keep the little glass afterwards), and some old houses. We had a lot of fun and it was free, we just needed to buy her lunch and transportation costs.

Glad you enjoyed it and stayed in two places I recommended.

Did you see my terrible towel still up at Khaosan?

The people at Yuzan were amazing. I was really sick one day and just rested. Was feeling really bad and had a fever so they went out and got food for me. Did you take advantage of the free tours they're affiliated with?

Saya

The people at Yuzan were amazing. I was really sick one day and just rested. Was feeling really bad and had a fever so they went out and got food for me. Did you take advantage of the free tours they're affiliated with?

Yeah, thanks again for that! Really awesome places with friendly people. Khaosan was a bit more lively than Yuzan though, but that was ok. Next time I go to Japan I will definitely stay at Khaosan again.

What towel are you referring to? Is it hanging somewhere?

I did the Nara Student Guide tour which was awesome. Like a private tour with a Japanese student and she was so nice and fun. Great experience.

Saya

Selection of some photos from Tokyo.

Full album link: http://imgur.com/a/WFGYs

Sumida Park, Asakusa

yIhc44j.jpg

Last of the cherry blossoms, Asakusa

JrwvBT6.jpg

Asakusa

zWeM28U.jpg

Shiba conference, Asakusa

NSvHRoa.jpg

Sensoji Temple, Asakusa

Ey73VAy.jpg

Don Quijote, Asakusa (great place to pick up souvenirs, drinks, and snacks)

4iS8hIz.jpg

Studio Ghibli Museum, Mitaka

FogHBbF.jpg

9x7KYuI.jpg

Meiji Shrine Park

8vqtCRW.jpg

People enjoying the last blossoms in Ueno Park

QohKdos.jpg

JaW28sL.jpg

Ueno Park

Kt29pFF.jpg

PRtJw3F.jpg

Tokyo Imperial Palace area

ZKPQ4kX.jpg

agbp3b4.jpg

Line for a new cafe, Harajuku

Jv1dHrG.jpg

A to Z cafe, Omotesando

AdY2xA0.jpg

Shibuya

Wv9veCr.jpg

rAebkLM.jpg

Tokyo Sky Tree, Asakusa

Qt66e0N.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Khaosan World (in asakusa) was on Tokyo eye on NHK world this week. I recognised it from when we were looking for a family room for a one night stay near there. Looked really nice on TV. Used to be a love hotel apparently :)

scarlet

Our accommodation:

Nara - Yuzan Guesthouse

Welcome back!

That's your towel? I actually saw it, it was still there haha

Khaosan World (in asakusa) was on Tokyo eye on NHK world this week. I recognised it from when we were looking for a family room for a one night stay near there. Looked really nice on TV. Used to be a love hotel apparently :)

For the rooms I prefer them, but for location I prefer Kabuki

hwalker84

Yeah, thanks again for that! Really awesome places with friendly people. Khaosan was a bit more lively than Yuzan though, but that was ok. Next time I go to Japan I will definitely stay at Khaosan again.

What towel are you referring to? Is it hanging somewhere?

I did the Nara Student Guide tour which was awesome. Like a private tour with a Japanese student and she was so nice and fun. Great experience.

Loved Khaosan Kabuki. It was definitely the most lively Hostel I stayed in.

This is the famous Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towel which I bestowed upon Khaosan
1460107_780086588673667_1123920446_n.jpg

3 Days! Lalalalalalala

I went and got a cash passport card from Travelex (I would've gotten cash, but 1; they didn't have any, 2; I have a supremely long layover in Doha airport, and I'm worried about theft + my ability to lose everything not stapled to my body), so that's covered.

I'm reading that Seven Bank (the 7-11 ATMs) won't accept Debit Mastercards (like mine?) Is that right?

I know I can (and probably will) just withdraw it all when I get to the airport from the Citibank ATM, but I just wanted to make sure this was right so I could scope out the Post Office ATMs near my hotel.

Feel kinda silly now, but at least I have a battle plan vs just going there and trying to withdraw money with my bank card

There were problems last year with Mastercards. This seems to be fixed now:
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/card2.html

If you got a Maestro card with a chip there's still problems though:
http://www.mastercard.co.jp/personal/atm-notification.html

Nice! Thanks Hattsu, you're supremely helpful.

Since I can only withdraw it at the airport through them, I'll just withdraw everything at the Citibank/Post Office/Seven Bank ATMs in the airport and then make it rain with my pittance the entire train ride :p

Nice! Thanks Hattsu, you're supremely helpful.

Since I can only withdraw it at the airport through them, I'll just withdraw everything at the Citibank/Post Office/Seven Bank ATMs in the airport and then make it rain with my pittance the entire train ride :p

So you have a Maestro branded card with an IC chip? All other Mastercards and Maestro cards without an IC chip should work fine.

Top Bottom