• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I barely got enough money to get a new member but not enough for the room. I feel like I should just restart and not choose a glass cannon as my first teammate, lol.

I don't have any on. I mean Mars basically 2HKOs me at this point.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something besides grind more

Ah pay for a room only dont need to buy a person first. As when you rent a new room it comes with a character already.

The 500G fee is for once you fill up all rooms and want to make your 3 extra characters, really. Focus should be on filling all 4 rooms first. Or should I say 3 since you already had your first unlocked for free.

These types of games are stats based, which means generally if you are getting roflstomped that yeah you most def need to lv up.

CrovaxPSO

Somewhat off topic but Labyrinth Crossblood Infinity is getting an "Ultimate" re-release in Japan. It has the latest patch on the cart and also some new character portraits. Seems to be some kind of save transfer with the upcoming Operation Abyss as well. I mention it here because it shows that 5pb is at doing something with an older game, and might bode well for a possible localization of other Experience games.

I really do like the Gazer Memo features.

It's a nice way of network connectivity having people leave some useful and pointless hints.

Especially useful telling me where Mars is otherwise I would have been too terrified to actually use any of the gem spots or died multiple times over and over.

Parakeetman

Somewhat off topic but Labyrinth Crossblood Infinity is getting an "Ultimate" re-release in Japan. It has the latest patch on the cart and also some new character portraits. Seems to be some kind of save transfer with the upcoming Operation Abyss as well. I mention it here because it shows that 5pb is at doing something with an older game, and might bode well for a possible localization of other Experience games.

Odd Ill have to look that up. Im guessing it will be similar to what they did with the PC version which had an updated re-release that include new portraits and such.

My guess for OA you will get bonus items perhaps when you start the game if you have existing data.

Parakeetman

RPGfan is difficult to please with gridders, it seems. They really crapped on Might&Magic X too, and it's so far my personal game of the year.

I dont see how a site can call themselves RPGfan and yet at the same time not like gridders.

Bring them all over.
Is this the cyberpunk looking one they made?

mao2

What number is this? Is this is how many units are shipped to retailers? Or something else?
Since I think this wasn't answered, 180K is the number of copies shipped worldwide, both retail sales and digital downloads included. IMO that's a pretty impressive number for a dungeon RPG, especially since it's a new IP and on Vita.

Parakeetman

Bring them all over.
Is this the cyberpunk looking one they made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3d2jxp5-zc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMYgijji_E

Yes it is. Though personally it would be better if they bring Tokyo New World Record over first since has the art style to ride on the popularity of demon gaze.

Granted the updated character art in the "new" version of cross blood will also have it but its not the whole game based off of that art style.

The setting will be pretty much the same so would be odd if they released both in the US. Unless they actually already have it in the works. Though would be a waste considering that we have the new version down the pipe.

This castle is too big.

so how did you enjoy no magic underwater before the castle? lol
really did like the castle though.

Wereroku

So healing staff double item is a little broken early game. I gazer stomped Chrono with just a healer support. Wish I had this for the goblin king fight.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Geez, that Midgard fight is tough. Didnt have many problems up to this point with a party of Fighter,Paladin, Healer and Wizard, but poison and a
double fight back to back
seems a tad much.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bl85VZhCAAA9pma.jpg

Well...this sucks.

41 hours in and right at the end of the game. Went to load up my save file and got an error message saying the game (as well as all my other games) were corrupt. Was told to reboot the Vita so I did that. All my games are fine and other save files seem okay. Except for my Demon Gaze file unfortunately...

At any rate I really enjoyed my time with the game. Some of the bosses that recovered a big chunk of health every few turns were pretty annoying but other than that this is a really solid game. Also my first time playing a first person dungeon crawler like this. What would be other go to dungeon crawlers I should check out later when I have more free time? Etrian Odyssey has always jumped out to me as one I'd like to check out but I'm not sure of what others might be good to look into.
Ouch, that sucks. Maybe you can transfer the save file to PC and sending it to NISA?

Fought Cronos this morning and it was a little bit ugly. Hiding in the back row and only giving me about 2-3 turns of attacks before summoning new minions and hiding in the back again.

That was a war of attrition that I lost.
All of my healer's mp and all healing items used. I have barely enough money to rent out a new room so I might try bringing a wizard to the next fight and see how that turns out.

Ryuukan

At any rate I really enjoyed my time with the game. Some of the bosses that recovered a big chunk of health every few turns were pretty annoying but other than that this is a really solid game. Also my first time playing a first person dungeon crawler like this. What would be other go to dungeon crawlers I should check out later when I have more free time? Etrian Odyssey has always jumped out to me as one I'd like to check out but I'm not sure of what others might be good to look into.

The Etrian Odyssey 3ds games will feel like you've jumped 30 years into the future compared to the garbage UI and systems in Demon Gaze. I would definitely recommend them.

Impulse ordered this online. Seems good fun and I love a good dungeon crawler:) Have a backlog big enough to crush a man but this atleast I will be able to play on my daily commute.

The Etrian Odyssey 3ds games will feel like you've jumped 30 years into the future compared to the garbage UI and systems in Demon Gaze. I would definitely recommend them.
EO UI is better but come on, you're acting like Demon Gaze UI and design is as bad as Unchained Blades or Elminage Original, which it's not.

EO UI is better but come on, you're acting like Demon Gaze UI and design is as bad as Unchained Blades or Elminage Original, which it's not.

Unchained Blades has a lot of terrible crap going against it, but I liked its dungeon design a lot better than what I've seen of Demon Gaze so far.

EO is miles ahead of both.

Wereroku

Doesn't look very impressive to me mostly just has the bottom screen littered with little buttons and the top screen has exactly the same options laid out in almost the same way. So why do you think it is the superior system? Is it the number of menus to navigate is reduced or simplified?

Ryuukan

Ive never played either of those games since they looked bad, but Demon Gaze is dos 486 pc quality UI. You can't see stat changes while viewing equipment and there are weird acronyms for everything, some of which are not even explained in the help or manual

Ryuukan

Doesn't look very impressive to me mostly just has the bottom screen littered with little buttons and the top screen has exactly the same options laid out in almost the same way. So why do you think it is the superior system? Is it the number of menus to navigate is reduced or simplified?

You can see stat changes, skills/abilities are explained, interface does not look like a 1986 terminal

Ive never played either of those games since they looked bad, but Demon Gaze is dos 486 pc quality UI. You can't see stat changes while viewing equipment and there are weird acronyms for everything, some of which are not even explained in the help or manual

LOL!
ok.

Wereroku

You see the stats on the equipment and since nothing in Demon Gaze adds free stat points the only adjustment to stats will come from weapon changes. I am not certain what you are complaining about.

You can see stat changes, skills/abilities are explained, interface does not look like a 1986 terminal
Skill/abilities are explained in Demon Gaze if I had the game with me I would do a screen grab.

Ryuukan

You see the stats on the equipment and since nothing in Demon Gaze adds free stat points the only adjustment to stats will come from weapon changes. I am not certain what you are complaining about.

Gear can add stats, and the game should show you the difference in armor/hit/etc instead of lazily showing you the gear you have on. Sorry that you're hurt about people "complaining" about a game you bought. You sound as defensive as the people salty over the mediocre reviews.

Skill/abilities are explained in Demon Gaze if I had the game with me I would do a screen grab.

I got a Katar that has "Poison" on the abilities screen. Zero explanation what that means. Also, weapons that are 1HND I understand, but what the hell is SPRT supposed to mean. Its just a sloppy game unfortunately, covered by lewd material.

Wereroku

Its just a sloppy game unfortunately, covered by lewd material.

Really your going to start on that shit? Why are you being to hostile to everyone? I don't agree that the UI is lazy. I agree that they didn't do the best job of explaining abbreviations and stats but I don't see this giant difference between this and EO that you are seeing.

Ryuukan

Really your going to start on that shit? Why are you being to hostile to everyone? I don't agree that the UI is lazy. I agree that they didn't do the best job of explaining abbreviations and stats but I don't see this giant difference between this and EO that you are seeing.

Only being hostile to the developer for shoddy work. The portraits/artwork are the only quality work in the game, everything else is pretty ugly looking.

Raggie

Japanese Wizardry clones tend to be more obtuse than they could be. (So were the games they are modeled after, but those came with thick manuals you were expected to read. It sounded like the original Japanese Demon Gaze had one of those too, but we missed out on it.)

It's never been a problem to me since I'm fine with reading up material from GameFAQs before starting a game, but I can understand a lot of people don't want to go through the same trouble. I've never cared so much for Etrian Odyssey, but it does smooth some things over. For my own tastes there are much better gridders than EO, even though they have a bigger initial threshold.

Superflat

At this point of the game I shouldn't be having this question, so forgive me for being ignorant. This issue only came to my attention when I added a fifth party member. During battle, the top three of my party were labeled "Attack" with the bottom two labeled "Defend", where the bottom two weren't able to attack at all, despite having weapons equipped. Can anyone tell me why that is? And now for some reason only position 1 can "Attack", and the bottom four party members can only "Defend", which makes me think I did something really wrong, lol. I can't fight for long like this *_*

Started playing a couple days ago, this game is taking up way too much of my time.

So far I'm enjoying the difficulty. It's not super hard but it feels like the game is giving you just enough to survive boss encounters, no more and no less. I usually scrape through the random(?) first encounters with the Demons by the skin of my teeth, and almost certainly die when I fight them proper at the end of the stage for the first time.

I'm currently in
Hermes
territory, and just got wrecked by
getting swallowed by a treasure chest (mimic boss??). I thought I could get through it, but it got the best of my party
Undid at least 40 minutes of grinding and exploration *_*. What a bastard.

Only being hostile to the developer for shoddy work. The portraits/artwork are the only quality work in the game, everything else is pretty ugly looking.

I disagree. I think everything looks, sounds and plays great.
Before this came out I was mostly going back and forth between Elminage and Unchained Blades though.

In another note about EO, I loved the DS games but the 3DS games rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe some of the simplicity was lost in the transition or maybe it's the missing FM tunes... I don't know what it was but they fell flat for me.

At this point of the game I shouldn't be having this question, so forgive me for being ignorant. This issue only came to my attention when I added a fifth party member. During battle, the top three of my party were labeled "Attack" with the bottom two labeled "Defend", where the bottom two weren't able to attack at all, despite having weapons equipped. Can anyone tell me why that is? And now for some reason only position 1 can "Attack", and the bottom four party members can only "Defend", which makes me think I did something really wrong, lol. I can't fight for long like this *_*

My best guess is that it depends on the range of your weapons. Swords, axes, maces can only hit stuff from the front row. While bows and throwing weapons can be wielded from the back row.

Wereroku

Superflat you need to check where you placed the characters there are two rows a front and back. To attack from back you need a medium to long range weapon.

Raggie

For you. You know it's just your opinion, right?

I don't have a problem with you disliking the game, not everyone likes the same things... But maybe you could accept the fact that others can genuinely like the game even if you don't?

Superflat

My best guess is that it depends on the range of your weapons. Swords, axes, maces can only hit stuff from the front row. While bows and throwing weapons can be wielded from the back row.

Superflat you need to check where you placed the characters there are two rows a front and back. To attack from back you need a medium to long range weapon.

Ahh okay, That makes sense. Guess I need to go for better ranged weapons drops. Thanks!

ZeroAKA

The only thing I didn't like about EO compared to most other dungeon-crawlers was the manual map icon mechanic. I'm way too lazy to do all of that myself. >.>"

Ryuukan

For you. You know it's just your opinion, right?

I don't have a problem with you disliking the game, not everyone likes the same things... But maybe you could accept the fact that others can genuinely like the game even if you don't?

This is a public forum, of course I'm going to give my opinion, even if its negative. You can still enjoy it otherwise, but not everyone else will.

Hmm, just gave a bunch of my party long bows to test out if it would work, but everyone except for my Gazer is still stuck in Defend mode in battles :T

Oh, you might need to change which equip set that have currently equipped which you can do in battle from the items selection.

Superflat

Oh, you might need to change which equip set that have currently equipped which you can do in battle from the items selection.

You mean like switching between Set A and Set B gear using the select button? I'm pretty sure I have the correct set highlighted for use. I just swapped gear in and out of Set A, so I haven't messed with it. Or do I need it to be in Set B to make it work for some reason?

You mean like switching between Set A and Set B gear using the select button? I'm pretty sure I have the correct set highlighted for use. I just swapped gear in and out of Set A, so I haven't messed with it. Or do I need it to be in Set B to make it work for some reason?

Nah, I don't think so. My healer has ranged weapons equipped and can hit from the back row with them in Set A.

Not sure what's the problem then. :x

Raggie

The only thing I didn't like about EO compared to most other dungeon-crawlers was the manual map icon mechanic. I'm way too lazy to do all of that myself. >.>"

Yeah, it always surprises me how enthusiastic people are about that feature. I remember the time when you had to draw your own maps and I thought it was a massive improvement to have automapping. It was always boring busywork for me. Different strokes, I guess.

Wereroku

Yeah that sounds like a bug did you rearrange the party layout just in case?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why did people complain about the rent system? Doesnt seem hard to keep up with the payments.

Top Bottom