• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's art is racist and the antagonist is (potentially) gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the game is a critique of colonialism? You'd need a colonialist villain, right?

It could very well be. That'd be interesting if it's done well. Past history would point to a game that wants to critique colonialism, but ends up reinforcing the same ideas. In fact, I'd say the poor handling of Far Cry 3 is why some are even worried.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
So the "white man's" motivation must be based on race because that's what white people do? How do you know that "white guy" isn't holding him down because he plays terrible video games?

well do you deny that we do live in a white dominate society?

ttech10

While there is nothing inherently wrong with a gay antagonist, it worries me that it might not be done right. Also if the only time we have gay characters in games as main characters that are bad guys, what message does that send to people? All gay people are bad, or it will just fuel their hatred they already have towards gay people

What you're saying is that we should treat gay video game characters different from non-gay characters (IF he is gay, as you are stereotyping here that the character is gay because he's wearing pink and is dyed blonde).

Those are the only issues I see with the cover.

Karkador

Banned
What if the game is a critique of colonialism? You'd need a colonialist villain, right?

Something like modern-day colonialism would involve something different (like Nestle CEO saying water should be privatized, and corporations going to other countries and taking ownership of rivers and stuff). Probably not the most rocket-launchery, pink suit type of stuff

vypek

Boy, I looked at the box art earlier and all I could think of was that the guy I presume to be the villain looks like Anderson Cooper to me.

I can't say for sure that the image is racist. It looks like is degrading and dehumanizing. But for all we know the games main character is a native who is killing non-natives invading the land. Who knows. It certainly doesn't look great so far. The art for Far Cry 3 looked much better to me and sold Vaas as a crazy villain which seemed to work. I didn't factor race in when looking at it at all. Now I happen to see this one in a racial way but I'm not sure if I would get there on my own or if the thread forced me to see it.

As for the character being gay, I really didn't even consider that at all. Just thought he was supposed to be some stylish guy. Even looking at the art now as I type I don't know if I register him as gay. Maybe if he was pulling a Volgin and cupping balls I might think "Oh, is he gay?" But so far, nothing.

Still waiting to hear more information about this game. Honestly, hoping I can play as a native though.

I feel maybe too much was read into this too soon.

Astery

is witch hunting everything for "racist" / "sexist" / "gay bad guys"/ "politically incorrect" a trend now a days? I hate to see a boring world that everything must be serious business and no fun allowed. just my 2 cents.

Not

Banned

rdrr gnr

And you cannot deny the overuse of such tropes to impart "seriousness" into story. The use of rape as a shorthand for "that person is evil" is amazing prevalent. Of course these things can be handled correctly, but that does not preclude saying "hey, many creators don't handle it correctly." For example, see: Far Cry 3. Once again, a game I enjoyed, that unfortunately whiffed satirizing the white savior trope.
But people aren't focusing on the handling. They get fixated on the literal depiction. If the depiction exists, it is bad. That's it. No mitigating factors. No other consideration. It simply cannot be good because it is trope-y (that trope being something that offends them, of course).

AppleMIX

Op's twitter is a goldmine. He'll bitch and moan about GAF on twitter, but can't be bothered to come defend his point. I guess we are just all too disgusting for him.

https://twitter.com/Jed05/status/467100490493218816

Sadly, people do this all the time.

They say something stupid or controversial and people call them out. Instead of having a actually discussion, they just retreat to a safe space and pretend like they're right regardless of what the opposition says. They also lump all critics together and judge them by the worst offenders.

OneUh8

What the fuck is going on here? Unreal how sensitive people are. I have not read anything other than the OP, and well, this is crazy.

d0c_zaius

Jed Whitaker @Jed05 · 25m
That being said at least there is the Mii characters option in Mario Kart 8. I do like having some dialogue about it though.

fighting the good fight, one incredibly tough issue after another.

I guess this is what he considers creating "dialogue"?

I think its cute, seeing his little posse high-fiving eachother over accomplishing nothing and failing to raise even a single valid point. As usual.

yup while ignoring the real content and focusing on how 99% OF ALL RESPONSES ARE TOTALLY OFF THE WALL CRAZY HOLD ME GUYS.

The guy isn't conclusively gay. He's not even conclusively white. The only thing that is clear is that he is a villain who likes expensive clothes and thinks he's better than everyone else.

Has no one even picked up on the fact that he's decapitated the statue of a god and is using it as his throne? He thinks he's godlike. This is not a good guy.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Wow, the smugness coming from OP and his Veerender buddy's twitter is off the charts

He seems quite proud of himself, doesn't he?

Why does he not come out and call us all ignorant on GAF, instead of going to Twitter to do it?

OP, you can't escape the fact you can't call out stereotypes when you in fact stereotyped someone yourself.

Sciz

Right. Because talking about issues of minority representation in gaming is not acceptable right? (On whether or not these issues have relevance is another topic).

Watching a new firestorm break out every day quickly grows exhausting. Same reason a bunch of people are getting sick of game performance threads, even if the overall subject merits discussion. Folks get wound up too much on both sides of the fence which makes the dialogue tiring to read for anyone with a moderate or undetermined stance, and then every possible point of contention gets blown into a new thread, so it's impossible to ever get them out of your peripheral awareness even if you're actively avoiding them.

This thread right here is entitled "Far Cry 4's art is racist", which is a very strong starting point for a discussion, and all the OP's got to back that claim up is Twitter reactions, which is the worst possible platform for constructive discourse. He's also not personally calling the art racist, so I can't fathom what he was thinking by phrasing the title in such a declarative way that's guaranteed to draw equally strong kneejerk replies.

Toning the ferocity and quantity of the discourse down would go a long way towards improving its quality.

Yoday

Seems like a lot of assumptions and outrage over something we know pretty much nothing about. The villain looked Asian or some mixed race to me, and I don't think we can determine his sexuality based on a hair style and the color of his suit. I mean, isn't that being a bit stereotypical? How about saving the rage for when we know more about the plot, and anything at all about the characters.

The guy isn't conclusively gay. He's not even conclusively white. The only thing that is clear is that he is a villain who likes expensive clothes and thinks he's better than everyone else.

Has no one even picked up on the fact that he's decapitated the statue of a god and is using it as his throne? He thinks he's godlike. This is not a good guy.

Bloodworth to the rescue, but yeah I noticed that too maybe he is wealthy arms dealer?

ha ha ha mannn, really? Gays are just people.. even a racist is just a person.. but this game is all fictional.. I understand your gripe though.. For me the biggest downfall in video games is putting movie stars into games..

gngf123

I have no real interest in this game and no idea if the antagonist actually ends up being gay or not, but damn if he doesn't have an awesome dress sense.

Applebite

How about we wait for the fucking game to come out before criticising POTENTIAL elements of it? There might be some totally valid criticisms, but how can they be applied to a game that hasn't even shown a trailer yet?

d0c_zaius

Jed Whitaker ‏@Jed05 1m
YA FOUND ME. OH NOES. #WitchHunt

and now hes claiming witch hunt. I think this funship has run its course.

In case you actually care about things OP, no one would have called you out if you didn't come across so ass backwards with your intention.

I just woke up from a cat nap and saw this thread...
wfwtf.gif

I can't believe him and the edits.

Karkador

Banned
How about we wait for the fucking game to come out before criticising POTENTIAL elements of it? There might be some totally valid criticisms, but how can they be applied to a game that hasn't even shown a trailer yet?

Regardless of what side you're on, as always, this is NeoGAF

This is exactly what the White Savior complex is talking about; the natives have all this "baggage" (their heads up their ass, apparently) and can't solve their own problems. It's like saying no foreign country can truly be indepedent because they need American magic to keep them standing.

Okay, so any storyline where an outsider intervenes in another culture's ongoing struggle is inherently racist. Gotcha.

And actually, I was going to use the US as an example. I guess those people asking for help in the Ukraine don't realize they're feeding into the "White Saviour" agenda? How about the Nigerians?...

Jintor

Okay, so any storyline where an outsider intervenes in another culture's ongoing struggle is inherently racist. Gotcha.

And actually, I was going to use the US as an example. I guess those people asking for help in the Ukraine don't realize they're feeding into the "White Saviour" agenda? How about the Nigerians?...

There probably are factions on the ground who resent outside interference in what to them appear as internal affairs, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom