• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Build 2014 cloud destruction demo = Crackdown 3

Fezan

Not only this will require always online with very very fast internet but using backend server for destruction is completely impractical from financial stand point

charsace

Why would a current "high end PC" crawl down to 2 FPS because there's 30k objects in a scene with graphics from 10 years ago?

If the objects aren't baked to break in certain ways it can get expensive. breaking down the pieces into new rigid bodies(which loads new rigid bodies) can be expensive. There's a reason why developers make heavy use of the factory pattern to reuse objects.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
That Build demo isn't even legit because they are running completely different versions of the demos on both computers, even though they try to pass it off as the same demo. The person running the demo accidentally spins the camera around on one of them and there's a vast difference in the objects between one and the other. There's no verifiable conclusion to be drawn about the "power of the cloud" from this because it isn't a controlled (scientific method kind of control) experiment/demonstration.

If the only variable between the two was the connection to the cloud, then some conclusions could be drawn. But it isn't, so they can't be.

Moosichu

So Microsoft letting single users using processing power worth 100x a powerful desktop each? Its really cool tech, but not that feasable. (They could prove me wrong!)

Bsigg12

Not only this will require always online with very very fast internet but using backend server for destruction is completely impractical from financial stand point

What? They're using Azure which is already huge, Why would it require very fast internet? It's not like they're rendering anything, only doing physics calculations which are tiny.

Beant

This is going to be sweet if it pans out like that chunk destruction demo. Two questions though

Is it online only?

Isn't this a lot of server time for seemingly little business benefit?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is going to be sweet if it pans out like that chunk destruction demo. Two questions though

Is it online only?

Isn't this a lot of server time for seemingly little business benefit?

Yes and Yes.

jaypah

As usual I will make no claims as to not look like a fucking idiot later. I'll just say the idea is interesting and I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Fezan

What? They're using Azure which is already huge, Why would it require very fast internet? It's not like they're rendering anything, only doing physics calculations which are tiny.

No matter how much large server is their is cost attached to which is very high compared to normal operations which can be done locally. Even calculating physics is part of rendering and when its not done locally it would require massive speed to happen without player noticing any lag

Tsiawd

Banned
When they look around the city while the 2nd building starts to blow, that is for SURE pacific city without texutres!

nikos

Seems like a shady demo. First, the building was breaking before the rockets hit it. It's just a demo, so that's understandable.

What's shady is they didn't know the same level of destruction. After he "detonated" the building, he turned around immediately and shot something else. When he turned back around to face the building, the level of destruction was not the same as in the first demo.

Why not demo the same exact scenario for comparison?

Bsigg12

Seems like a shady demo. First, the building was breaking before the rockets hit it. It's just a demo, so that's understandable.

What's shady is they didn't know the same level of destruction. After he "detonated" the building, he turned around immediately and shot something else. When he turned back around to face the building, the level of destruction was not the same as in the first demo.

Why not demo the same exact scenario for comparison?

Because he was showing that the system wasn't being bogged down by doing all the physics calculations locally?

Taiser

Why would they offload it to the cloud if it was pre-baked and non-interactive?

Because offloading trivial prebaked/non-dynamic/non-interactive/high latency stuff is the only thing you can do with cloud+todays internet speeds.

Avalanche said:
The cloud functionality is pushed as a marketing tool to compensate for the less favorable hardware specs. I understand why they feel they need to do this, as the specs on paper aren’t necessarily representative of the actual performance. But the way it’s presented I feel is misleading at best. It’s just common sense that sending data over an internet connection isn’t even remotely comparable to sending data over a high-speed internal memory bus.

Digital Foundry said:
The PS4 memory system allocates around 20,000MB/s for the CPU of its total 176,000MB/s. The cloud can provide one twenty-thousandth of the data to the CPU that the PS4's system memory can. You may have an internet connection that's much better than 8mbps of course, but even superfast fibre-optic broadband at 50mbps equates to an anaemic 6MB/s. This represents a significant bottleneck to what can be processed on the cloud, and that's before upload speed is even considered. Upload speed is a small fraction of download speed, and this will greatly reduce how much information a job can send to the cloud to process.

Hey, let's shit on some tech demo!

Good stuff here. Can't wait for the new Crackdown. I rather have destruction and stuff like this in my next gen games, over shiny Avatar graphics. Honestly. Give be effects and sounds.

Ahh That's a damn good theory. I was watching the demo wondering how it would work if it was really on that scale, but I'd forgotten about this thing.

Because offloading trivial prebaked/non-dynamic/non-interactive/high latency stuff is the only thing you can do with cloud+todays internet speeds.

You're not making much sense, you could stream it off a disc if it was prebaked and non interactive.

It's not that the cloud "can't help", it's more that "it would be stupid if this was in the cloud" because it automatically limits your potential audience to "Gold members only" and would require them to maintain a really solid low-latency high bandwidth connection at all times. With so many speed and throughput variables to overcome, any hiccups will have a severely negative impact on your game's performance. Unless the game is hosted for the most part on online servers and you are merely connecting to play...then comes the "how long until the plug is pulled on my game." And we still get back to the "1/2 your audience can't play it. "

So it may be an online required multiplayer only game. It's not like it'd be the first.

Edit: Thinking about it, if it's a game with a focus on huge scale city levelling destruction it might not be suitable for a traditional open world, you'd need a reset every so often.

the_champ

Banned
Because they are doing it as inefficiently as possible to show you the extremes. The numbers don't add up for cloud gaming.

If crackdown sells 1 million copy at launch and has 500k players on at the same time, will MS have that much power available... and for how long. What happens 6 months later when another "cloud" game comes out. How is long term "cloud gaming" support financially viable without a monthly fee?

That's exactly the right question, sir. Not if technologically speaking is possible or it (it is, or it will be), but how costs will be managed.

the_champ

Banned
Power of the cloud = all your games wont run for shit once the Xbox Two comes out.

I would expect that by when x2 arrives, costs to maintain infrastructure to keep xbox one games would be inexpensive. But certainly it is a reasonable concern, not only for cloud based games, but for online games in general.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No matter how much large server is their is cost attached to which is very high compared to normal operations which can be done locally. Even calculating physics is part of rendering and when its not done locally it would require massive speed to happen without player noticing any lag

Most of those calcs were probably done and received by the client before the projectiles hit the building

They don't need to be done in render, but be packaged in a way so they are shown and synchronized across all connected clients in real time.

The game will be able to do a lot by itself and offload any extra work to the cloud

These types of things aren't really strict latency bound... there are limits but as long as the player doesnt have direct interaction with anything that needs calculation, there is leeway.

Environment destruction is very very good for cloud calculation

klodeckel

Banned
Not a rumor. Confirmed by Phil:

75cnGDQ.png

I called it? I called it.

Because he was showing that the system wasn't being bogged down by doing all the physics calculations locally?

Yeah, here's a video they released after the build conference that shows the demos side by side with same destruction sequence (the cloud one finishes first so they go on to do a lot more destruction): http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECsbaO1XGBU

Better video since it isn't "shady," as some put it. They actually released it because people didn't like that he turned his back to the building in the live demo. This tech seems pretty cool, looking forward to seeing what they do with it in crackdown.

you should know cloudgine is a company focused in cloud computing, and David Jones is the founder of the company. as fas as I researched back in the day ntkrnl leaked all the info Cloudgine is not a gaming company, but they have some interesting cloud computing solutions.

from last 20th of May: http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/may/20/cloudgine-microsofts-secret-xbox-one-sauce/

Microsoft has made a big deal about utilising the Cloud for gaming this generation to differentiate it from the last and open up brand-new opportunities to scale experiences beyond what localised hardware can handle. This is all well and good but beyond a (pretty impressive) demonstration on how the technology can be used in the future – the company hasn’t yet gone into details on how they will help developers implement it into their titles.

According to leaked information, a company called Cloudgine will play a part in Microsoft’s E3 conference this year. On their website they describe their technology as "delivering rendering and processing power from the cloud, allowing game developers to define new ground-breaking online gaming mechanics".

Filaipus

Banned
you should know cloudgine is a company focused in cloud computing, and David Jones is the founder of the company. as fas as I researched back in the day ntkrnl leaked all the info Cloudgine is not a gaming company, but they have some interesting cloud computing solutions.

from last 20th of May: http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/may/20/cloudgine-microsofts-secret-xbox-one-sauce/

But if David Jones is at the helm they are probably forming a team to create a game (or already formed).

What I mean is that Cloudgine could be a "tech" company before, doing the prototypes and when they made it work they got game guys.

I don't know, they didn't show any devs at the end of the trailer did they?

Looks very cool, but I really don't like the idea of leaving something like destructibility (which I assume will be a major aspect of the gameplay based on the trailer) to the cloud.

I'd prefer they built their own version of Geo Mod 2.0 or just licensed that incredible tech so they have a rock solid offline solution.

But if David Jones is at the helm they are probably forming a team to create a game (or already formed).

What I mean is that Cloudgine could be a "tech" company before, doing the prototypes and when they made it work they got game guys.

I don't know, they didn't show any devs at the end of the trailer did they?

David Jones will most likely the man behind the development of the game, but I can see MS outsourcing the development and David Jones leading. Cloudgine would be providing the cloud computing tech.

Honestly? I'll be genuinely surprised if the destructibility isn't local, the tech is completely impractical for use in a game due to general internet speeds being too slow to not induce lag and errors. If it's always online, then the game will bomb horribly. Relying on the cloud for this sort of thing is a horrible idea in terms of making money.
And yet dedi servers have been a thing for years.

If crackdown sells 1 million copy at launch and has 500k players on at the same time, will MS have that much power available... and for how long. What happens 6 months later when another "cloud" game comes out. How is long term "cloud gaming" support financially viable without a monthly fee?

Azure isn't only used for online gaming and server availability scales appropriately according to a product's current demand. I'm pretty sure MS knows what they're doing in this area.

And I don't know if games like Crackdown will require gold to play, but co-op and multiplayer (Crackdown co-op was amazing) will continue to push gold subs. There is your fee.

I would expect that by when x2 arrives, costs to maintain infrastructure to keep xbox one games would be inexpensive. But certainly it is a reasonable concern, not only for cloud based games, but for online games in general.

Again, Azure server availability scales according to the current population of a product. If no one is playing a cloud heavy or multiplayer game those servers will just be used for other game/enterprise products. It costs MS almost nothing to continue supporting games on Azure regardless of how few people are playing.

shandy706

A number of people were wondering if it was Crackdown releated back when they showed the demo.

I don't expect the destruction to be so detailed that it could be hampered by one's internet, but it certainly makes the possibility of more realistic destruction of large objects possible.

They could easily build the game with two types of destruction. Without the internet you have pre-baked stuff like games of the past. With online you have more realistic physics and destruction.

Of course, if the game is MMO/Co-Op/persistent online like.....you could just maintain the destruction across each instance of the game.

It's not that the cloud "can't help", it's more that "it would be stupid if this was in the cloud" because it automatically limits your potential audience to "Gold members only" and would require them to maintain a really solid low-latency high bandwidth connection at all times. With so many speed and throughput variables to overcome, any hiccups will have a severely negative impact on your game's performance. Unless the game is hosted for the most part on online servers and you are merely connecting to play...then comes the "how long until the plug is pulled on my game." And we still get back to the "1/2 your audience can't play it. "

I believe Spencer stated in a later interview that single player games with concurrent multiplayer/online connections will not require Gold.

Jburton

Banned
Latency issues would cause problems with this obviously, interesting tech but fluidity and usefulness will be the preserve of those with quality internet connections.

No internet, no destruction?

Hopefully a mod can change the title. I will update the OP with the newer video and tweet.

That's exactly the right question, sir. Not if technologically speaking is possible or it (it is, or it will be), but how costs will be managed.

MS has invested literally billions into Azure, it is their biggest R&D expenditure.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...ays-to-spend-90-of-r-d-on-cloud-strategy.html

It's an investment that goes far, far beyond the 1-2 million people that might play a game like Crackdown. It's the fastest growing part of their company.

shanew21

Latency issues would cause problems with this obviously, interesting tech but fluidity and usefulness will be the preserve of those with quality internet connections.

No internet, no destruction?

I'd imagine it's an always online game, even in SP. If the destruction works that well I can't complain.

Top Bottom