• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This game has always been a " would play if online wasn't horrible and if people in my scene played".

Am gonna stream monster this for Evo hardcore though.

I thought the online was really good with the Steam version?

Also, bought a stick! The $80 Mad Catz deal was too good to pass up.

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah, I don't like 13 but when compared to SF4 the netcode on the Steam Edition is good. You just wish it had more common sense features.

Marz

What's that one YouTube channel that's just like exclusively KoF?

Edit: nvm found it Imbued Gold changed to Ars Magna

stn

KOF13 Steam netcode is the best out there. I've also found the netcode for Injustice to be excellent. I never get lag in either game.

ElTopo

Banned
He's not really high execution. I mean, all you need to know is HD Cancel into his Ranbu and his corner combos. Otherwise he's very easy to pick up.

shaowebb

He generally does well, but his higher-end abilities require good execution to make the best of him.

Its KoF...EVERYTHING requires good execution. Highest entry barrier to any fighter I've ever played. Still the best I've ever played too.

"For some reason, I was under the impression that KOF wasn't a tier game. Kind of a bummer that it is, but whatevs."

All fighting games have tiers, it's a natural consequence of having an assortment of characters with unique capabilities. As such, there will always be people who choose to play the stronger characters in a game.

For some reason, I was under the impression that KOF wasn't a tier game. Kind of a bummer that it is, but whatevs.

The competitive meta is not some ultra efficient version of the game pointing out its tiers. It is a meta and has its own cycle of ups and downs etc... Meta is also full of stigma in terms of what is good and bad.

just because a character is not picked does not mean he/she is not a good character, it just means the meta does not pick it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey so I just went in to play this a bit and it would seem my new 120hz monitor is making it run double speed. Any way to fix that other than dropping to 60hz? It happens whether in fixed or variable framerate in the game options.

Edit: Nevermind, it was set to windowed fullscreen which forces desktop hz. Regular fullscreen works fine.

vanty

You should play the UM's. The execution is no different from other fighters.

By that do you mean the execution in XIII is harder than in the UMs or easier? And for an even noobier question does execution refer to combos or simply move inputs or both as it's just how much of your brain goes into your hands successfully?

By that do you mean the execution in XIII is harder than in the UMs or easier? And for an even noobier question does execution refer to combos or simply move inputs or both as it's just how much of your brain goes into your hands successfully?

atleast in 98, combos weren't really linked based. It was more normals into special. Similar to CVS2 I guess.

The game was more fundamental base. KOF13 changed that a bit. Its faster paced, and certain characters get decently long combos. Actually I think everybody gets decently long combos pending on screen position (mai in corner). KOF98 never had that for the most part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNCDOlOq3lc thats 98. Its way more footsies based and execution isn't high.

Loona

If I wanted to run a team of Joe, Hwa, and EX Iori....what should the order be?

Iori seems the least dependent on power bar, so I'd put him first - beyond that, whomever you're the most comfortable with. I tend to rely more on projectiles than on combos, so Joe's EX Hurrican Uppers would get more use than Hwa's drink super.

Marz

Iori seems the least dependent on power bar, so I'd put him first - beyond that, whomever you're the most comfortable with. I tend to rely more on projectiles than on combos, so Joe's EX Hurrican Uppers would get more use than Hwa's drink super.

OK cool thanks. I don't really see much projectile use whenever I'm watching some gameplay but does Joe zone a lot? His hurricanes seem really good.

Loona

OK cool thanks. I don't really see much projectile use whenever I'm watching some gameplay but does Joe zone a lot? His hurricanes seem really good.

I've seen some praise for a dizzy combo he has in the combo that probably uses a fair bit of both bars, so at a high enough level of execution that's likely his greatest asset - but then again, he's not a character I use much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Playing with a stick feels SO much nicer than my shitty 360 controller. I mean, the controller is awesome for other games, but fighters...It's no contest. I'm actually able to execute moves with little effort!

I'll be spending time doing Training missions with a few characters tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to actually manage some of the combos now.

Loona

Desmond Delaghetto from DreamCancel.com asked on Twitter for people interested in taking part in tonight's DC podcast (8:30 CST) - especially if you were at EVO.

BadWolf

Look up Haregoro on youtube, he's a Japanese player and has hands down the best Joe. He found most of the tech for him as well, including discovering the stun combo in the arcade version.

The hurricanes are a big part of Joe's gameplan for sure, they are nice and big so harder to avoid.

One of the more important things with Joe is to learn the spacing for his light Slash Kick. If you do it wrong then it will get you killed. If you do it right then it is actually positive of block, very spammable and great for drive cancels and super cancels..

And his EX Tiger Kick is probably one of the best EX moves in the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Turns out the Training Missions are STILL hard with a stick. I have no problems executing commands, but timing is CRAZY tight. :|

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For execution you can employ the "button holding trick" explained in detail by JuiceBox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfTWzbI_JY

Actually you can consult with his channel about KOF in general, he's got great tutorial about the system, strategy and character guides.

Thanks - I think I still need to try it/execute it to feel like I understand this fully. Maybe some example based off of my issues would help?

I was doing Elisabeth's missions last night.

The second mission is: d+LK -> d+LP -> DP+LP -> DP+LP -> jump+SK

I was able to get it once, but the timing between the d+LP -> DP+LP is all wonky. There were loads of times where I would execute the DP+LP what FELT like immediately after the d+LP, but it would be blocked. Is this a situation where I can button hold or is it just that I'm missing the timing by a frame or two?

Her third mission ends with: QCF+LK -> HCBF+LP/SP

Watching the demo, it seems oh so easy, but in my execution, I feel like (again) my timing is off by a frame or two. Does this follow the hold rule, or is it another case where I just need to practice it over and over until I get the timing set?

RedSwirl

Jesus. Is it just me or is move execution a lot harder in this game than Street Fighter? I can't use half the characters simply because I can't execute a single one of their combos.

My biggest problem seems to be I can't execute followups and combos fast enough in this game. I have trouble getting through even a single trial trial level for a lot of characters because I can't finish the combo before I get blocked. Compared to SF this game also has a lot of circle motions I have problems with. I only just recently got through the tutorial because I can barely execute Kyo's super unless I do it as slowly as possible.

King is just about the only character I feel comfortable with, but I haven't tried them all yet.

Jesus. Is it just me or is move execution a lot harder in this game than Street Fighter? I can't use half the characters simply because I can't execute a single one of their combos.

My biggest problem seems to be I can't execute followups and combos fast enough in this game. I have trouble getting through even a single trial trial level for a lot of characters because I can't finish the combo before I get blocked. Compared to SF this game also has a lot of circle motions I have problems with.

Yeah compared to SF it's more demanding on your left hand (you'll have to clean up your stick motions), and more lenient on your right hand (few links are actually practical, most of which aren't 1-frame, and you can hold buttons after your motions to have specials come out on the first possible frame).

And his EX Tiger Kick is probably one of the best EX moves in the game.

I don't know if Joe's wake-up speed is actually faster or if the move itself allows him to cancel out of his wake-up animation earlier, but for safe jump purposes EX Tiger Kick is to be treated as a 3f reversal, thus beating a lot of common setups.

Shadow780

Thanks - I think I still need to try it/execute it to feel like I understand this fully. Maybe some example based off of my issues would help?

I was doing Elisabeth's missions last night.

The second mission is: d+LK -> d+LP -> DP+LP -> DP+LP -> jump+SK

I was able to get it once, but the timing between the d+LP -> DP+LP is all wonky. There were loads of times where I would execute the DP+LP what FELT like immediately after the d+LP, but it would be blocked. Is this a situation where I can button hold or is it just that I'm missing the timing by a frame or two?

Her third mission ends with: QCF+LK -> HCBF+LP/SP

Watching the demo, it seems oh so easy, but in my execution, I feel like (again) my timing is off by a frame or two. Does this follow the hold rule, or is it another case where I just need to practice it over and over until I get the timing set?

One thing about those combos that they're actually combos not links, so you don't have to link D+LP to DP, just do it normally and do DP as fast as you can after LP it'll come out. Try the button hold trick see if that helps too.

Her third mission is in the similar vein that you need to input the command grab motion as fast as you can after QCF+LK.

My biggest problem seems to be I can't execute followups and combos fast enough in this game. I have trouble getting through even a single trial trial level for a lot of characters because I can't finish the combo before I get blocked. Compared to SF this game also has a lot of circle motions I have problems with. I only just recently got through the tutorial because I can barely execute Kyo's super unless I do it as slowly as possible.

King is just about the only character I feel comfortable with, but I haven't tried them all yet.

Yeah I think the main difference between SF4 and this game is that SF requires better button techs and KOF13 requires better execution on your sticks.

Since this was just in a Humble Bundle I expect many eyes to be on this thread and so I'll pose a question:

Has anyone known of a texture mod to KOF XIII Steam Edition to add in actual Xbox 360 button prompts like A,B,X,Y instead of LP,MP,LK,MK, etc?

This thread is kinda dead, but guys the game seems to run fine on my new labtop.

That means I am coming back baby!

Recently had to get a better-operating one as well.

If official KOF releases keep up on PC, it might be best to get some kind chart or something going for a required minimum. I hope up to this point the number of people who've made mistakes with "minimum vs. recommended" like me has been low.

I just starter on this game but I suck so much.

so far I've just unlocked Billy and got my sweet ass handed to me by a red devil boss guy.

Is there any way to fix the resolution of this game to fit my screen?

Recently had to get a better-operating one as well.

If official KOF releases keep up on PC, it might be best to get some kind chart or something going for a required minimum. I hope up to this point the number of people who've made mistakes with "minimum vs. recommended" like me has been low.

It would be a good idea, though I wouldn't know how to go about that.

I messed around in practice mode, and so far so good with my machine. I was able to do Mature's link combos. Unfortunately, I probably will have to do some relearning. I haven't played since TTT2 release, two years ago.

I just starter on this game but I suck so much.

so far I've just unlocked Billy and got my sweet ass handed to me by a red devil boss guy.

Is there any way to fix the resolution of this game to fit my screen?

What does the game look like?

It would be a good idea, though I wouldn't know how to go about that.

I messed around in practice mode, and so far so good with my machine. I was able to do Mature's link combos. Unfortunately, I probably will have to do some relearning. I haven't played since TTT2 release, two years ago.

Probably best reference those PC-gaming requirement sites where they tell you what games your PC can handle and how, or recommend them a PC/grade that doesn't brake the bank for them, if that's possible.

And welcome back to the game Tera.

Top Bottom