• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Race Canada Season 2 |OT| This Time The Race Goes Outside Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't even find out about this until last night so I guess I'll make a quickie OT, lol.

WGNZPXml.jpg

he second season of The Amazing Race Canada is an upcoming reality game show based on the American series The Amazing Race. It features eleven teams of two, each with a pre-existing relationship. The winning team will win CA$250,000, two Chevrolet Silverado trucks and the ability to fly for free anywhere for a year with Air Canada in business class. Jon Montgomery returns as the host for the second season.

Yes, this time I they get to go outside Canada. Maybe. They haven't actually confirmed it directly, but the application did require a Canadian passport and Jon mentions in his little speech they'll be going to 15 cities and travelling 40,000 km.

Teams:

5IUVpPVl.jpg

Natalie & Meaghan: Teammates

JfibD6Ll.jpg

Sukhi & Jinder: Silbings

df0HlAvl.jpg

Mickey & Pete: Best Friends

w0OCWjUl.jpg

Pierre & Michel: Twin Brothers

elmXD8yl.jpg

Jen & Shawn: Married

MhJ4GlSl.jpg

Laura & Jackie: Married

aFZBexXl.jpg

Alain & Audrey: Dating

Sn9uPTfl.jpg

Shahla & Nabeela: Best Friends

TWPe41Wl.jpg

Rex & Bob: Engaged

YaLkkJJl.jpg

Ryan & Rob: Co-Workers

xYBqld3l.jpg

Cormac & Nicole: Son/Mother

First episode already aired yesterday and I thought it was pretty enjoyable. The teams seem pretty nice so far, as in I don't already hate someone which is a plus.

UberTag

What's with all of the people getting stretchered out and medevaced this season?
Or is that preview for next week merely baiting with Hell's Kitchen fakeout tactics?

UberTag

I can easily say this leg of the race was more exciting and fun to watch than the entirety of the last season of Amazing Race US. Love when they have a variety of tasks that manage to stump multiple teams and alter the race order considerably and each one of these facilitated that.

Shawn delivered one of the best exit lines for an eliminated racer I've heard as well.

Looking forward to the Hong Kong leg next week.

I can't remember if I've ever seen a team skip two tasks on any leg before. That was a pretty shameful performance from Rex and Bob. Stand on a wobbly board for 3 seconds and lash together a few pieces of wood and they skipped them. I've never quite understood how they determine the time penalty either.

Really sucked for Shawn. That looked painful and he wasn't even really doing anything when it happened.

UberTag

I can't remember if I've ever seen a team skip two tasks on any leg before. That was a pretty shameful performance from Rex and Bob. Stand on a wobbly board for 3 seconds and lash together a few pieces of wood and they skipped them. I've never quite understood how they determine the time penalty either.

Really sucked for Shawn. That looked painful and he wasn't even really doing anything when it happened.
Incurring a 4-hour penalty for not tying those pieces of wood together was a disgrace.
Normally I hate it when teams miss a flight and are effectively out of the running making for a predictable leg but Rex & Bob arguably deserve that fate.

Wow that was such an unlucky elimination. Felt pretty bad for Jen and Shawn since it looked like they could have caught up especially considering Rex and Bob quitting (twice!) like that.

Though going to Hong Kong probably negates all that unless it causes them to miss a flight and that'll basically be an airport elimination, lol.

I like these tasks, they are more fun and creative. I will say Sukhi & Jinder are growing on me for being such dorks.

Rex and Bob are essentially Cam and Mitch from Modern Family, it's hilarious.

Rooting for the hockey players because they work well together and I find them quite attractive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dakku, you made a thread for this? lol

I'm glad they're getting out of Canada. It doesn't seem like they're redoing a leg though, since I don't remember previous HK legs having the weird food.

Oh yeah, are you going to change the thread when the NZ vs Australia season airs? Double TAR!

Seeing Hong Kong again just makes me want to visit it all again.

Wow, burning that express pass so quickly just to stay in the lead. I dunno, maybe this is a sign they'll burn out early or something.

I guess I'm not too surprised at how long ingredient shopping was though. I guess knowing Cantonese I would have wanted to do that, lol

The roadblock wasn't as bad as other food challenges though.

Good shake up with the teams. Ingredient shopping really did kill the placement of the last two teams, lol

Good leg

I always laugh when vegetarians or ppl who are afraid of heights or water are so surprised when they have to eat meat, go high up or swim etc....

UberTag

Wow, burning that express pass so quickly just to stay in the lead. I dunno, maybe this is a sign they'll burn out early or something.
Yeah, I can't even begin to fathom why the hockey girls burned the Express Pass so quick. They played it like a Fast Forward.

Express Passes should be used as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card when they're in a desperate spot on the race to stave off elimination.
They were in first and didn't even bother to attempt that detour. Seems like a complete misstep on their part.

Kifimbo

It's still early, but Natalie & Meaghan has to be one of the best women team in the history of this show (all versions). It's like they're at great at everything (except maybe handling the Express Pass properly).

addik

I didn't know this had an OP in gaf!

Watched the first 3 episodes and I actually like this season. I was dismissive of the first season because they never got out of Canada, though I watched a few episodes and found the legs interesting so I realized staying within Canada wasn't such a bad idea. I haven't gotten around to watching the first season though.

I currently love Alain/Audrey & Nicole/Cormac. The hockey players were kinda meh to me since they seemed robotic the first two episodes, but in HK they sort of shined. Sucks that Laura/Jackie had to go though. They were cute and all, but at least they spared Sukhi/Jinder from elimination.

Can't wait for CTV to upload the episode tonight in their website (geo-restrictions don't seem to apply to them!)

Kifimbo

Watched the first 3 episodes and I actually like this season. I was dismissive of the first season because they never got out of Canada, though I watched a few episodes and found the legs interesting so I realized staying within Canada wasn't such a bad idea. I haven't gotten around to watching the first season though.

Made sense to stay in Canada for the first season. It also only had 9 teams (11 this season), so less legs. They probably budgeted expecting modest ratings, and since the show was a big hit, they can now afford a longer season with several legs outside Canada. I'm just surprised it's Hong Kong and China (so far). I was expecting legs in Canada and the US this season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Made sense to stay in Canada for the first season. It also only had 9 teams (11 this season), so less legs. They probably budgeted expecting modest ratings, and since the show was a big hit, they can now afford a longer season with several legs outside Canada. I'm just surprised it's Hong Kong and China (so far). I was expecting legs in Canada and the US this season.
I presume they'll basically go around the world, so there will probably be a US leg near the end before going back to Canada.

Macau looks amazing as well.

I'm ok with that non-elimination even if that team really does feel like its going to have a metal breakdown soon.

Oh joy, express pass drama coming up.

Ryan & Rob are slowly becoming my new favorite team.

Kifimbo

Wow, she shot 60 times without hitting a single target.

And LOL at Sukhi and Jinder not knowing the difference between downriver and upriver.

EDIT: WTF, is she blind ?

Only negative of this season so far is no team as fun as Jet and Dave from last season.
Jet and Dave were the best.

I felt bad for Nicole and Cormac but they were kinda really creeping me out.

Rex and Bob are hilarious, they are constantly sniping at each other and bitching about everything. I always hated Cam & Mitch on Modern Family but now I know they have real-life counterparts makes me rethink it. But only slightly.

I have no idea how Sukhi and Jinder finish at all sometimes. But Sukhi is quite attractive so they can stick around.

And hockey next week? The girls better kick some ass.

Oh wow that biathlon roadblock just sounded grueling. I guess I'm just thinking i would have done absolutely terribly at it, lol.

Kinda amusing that we're back to Canada I guess.

Man, I gotta say its amazing the siblings are still in this. They always seem to be completely lost in everything they do.

UberTag

Spooner & Mikkelson may have peaked too early.
Finishing 5th this leg after an embarrassing showing in that hockey detour? My word.
No harm in losing Rex & Bob this week but I'd like to see some more intensity from the teams still in the running.
Amazing Race Australia vs. New Zealand has teams that want to kill each other.

I really wish CTV and TSN people would stop spoiling eliminations minutes after the episodes airs, it's happened nearly every leg this season, people I follow for hockey coverage shouldn't be tweeting out the losers until the next day, yeesh

Kifimbo

Spooner & Mikkelson may have peaked too early.
Finishing 5th this leg after an embarrassing showing in that hockey detour? My word.

Felt like they were missing on purpose. Especially since some shots were really weak and didn't left the ice.

Oh hey, a challenge where the siblings actually manage to use whatever skills they have (apparently it is travelling and remember flags) to good use.

And then a challenge where who we thought were supposed to be the best at, hockey, do pretty terrible at it.

And I'm pretty glad we didn't lose Ryan and Rob.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So a) I can't believe they had a 1 hour after-show with all the teams that have been eliminated, including the team that had to bow out because of the shoulder injury. The nice part of having it though, beyond just hearing the teams talk about their own experiences on the show, is that they gossip about the teams still on the race. There is lots of bitterness about giving the French team the Express Pass, for instance.

b) I can't believe they're going to France. This show must only be allowed to use Air Canada flights, because flying from Canada to Hong Kong back to Canada and then going to France seems like the most idiotic route ever.

c) Hashtags need to die, because every time I see one I feel like a little piece of me has died.

Huh? How? She was a single mom for all of Cormac's life, had him at 19, I found their story and relationship to be very touching.
I assume because they're so close or something. lol

Felt like they were missing on purpose. Especially since some shots were really weak and didn't left the ice.
Her hand was still broken, I suppose. But they were probably over-thinking it. Either way, it has to be the first time in the history of the modern rules of the race where a team in first decided not to even try the Fast Forward. At least other teams have tried and failed (I think it was one of the "shave your head" ones on the US version?). I think that was the bigger deal than missing those shots... it almost would have been fitting if they got eliminated, like that US team that lost because they refused to use their Express Pass.

I do wish they brought back the Fast Forward every leg thing though. It's clear that the order doesn't matter, since all the teams bunch up anyway, so having people decide when to use the FF is more interesting than the stupid drama that the U-turn inevitably causes. But the U-turn makes for better TV, I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Air Canada is a sponsor, of course they are only allowed to take their flights =/
The after show started in a Air Canada plane set. :(

It's pretty terrible if they're stuck using their flights though. Especially if there's a season 3 and there's probably nowhere else they can go.

The after show started in a Air Canada plane set. :(

It's pretty terrible if they're stuck using their flights though. Especially if there's a season 3 and there's probably nowhere else they can go.

Well I mean, it does look like Air Canada goes to a good amount of international places. Enough places in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America, you could probably have a new place each season for a while. Especially Europe where a new country counts as a new place, though I guess you'll run out of Canadian places to go to, but it could be like the US Amazing Race where it almost always start in Southern California!

Sure the main problem is that the route will almost always be go here, come back to Canada, then go somewhere else instead of an around the world that the other versions usually do. That and probably trying to stick as much Canadian pride into the foreign tasks too, lol

I'm not sure how I feel about an after show. I guess having it at a midway point isn't so bad and it was nice to see the teams again. Every week wouldn't all be that great but then again I wouldn't mind a Talking Race, lol

Pretty funny to see there's still bitterness over the express pass given to the twins.

The host wasn't all that great though, felt pretty awkward watching at times, lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They can avoid major cities and stick to suburbs!
Next time on the Amazing Race - SCARBOROUGH!

I'm not sure how I feel about an after show. I guess having it at a midway point isn't so bad and it was nice to see the teams again. Every week wouldn't all be that great but then again I wouldn't mind a Talking Race, lol

Pretty funny to see there's still bitterness over the express pass given to the twins.

The host wasn't all that great though, felt pretty awkward watching at times, lol
I think the host is Sports Centre dude, so that's just his vibe I suppose!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man, CTV is locking this stuff behind a cable package now. I guess I need to hope that there are alternate ways to watch the show.

Kifimbo

Au clair de la lune, first song I learned at the flute à bec (recorder) in school. Still remember where to put my fingers.

EDIT: Best female team ever.

EDIT2: Episode had everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom