• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavily criticized games that you really enjoy

I often love B and C tier games more than A tier games.

I loved Enchanted: Odyssey to the West. Phenomenal.

I loved Shadowrun FPS. One of the best multiplayer games in gaming, imo.

Those might not be so bad...but when I was younger, I really loved Portal Runner. I rented it multiple times, and finally bought it. Some solid platforming fun right there.

Verger

Banned
Thread is making me remember more:

American_McGee_Alice_cover.png
and
AliceMadnessReturns.jpg

I really enjoyed them both despite their gameplay. For me I suppose it is the astounding environment and character art/designs that really drew me in. The sequel though has a lot of sick imagery, I mean,
the final level is pretty much a metaphor for child rape/prostitution/pedophilia and gets more and more f'd up as you go deeper

Alan-Wake-American-Nightmare-Box-Art.jpg

I really enjoyed Alan Wake and I know it reviewed well (though has a lot of vocal critics). But I also really enjoyed the expansion as well. Though that is probably primarily in part to this guy and his crazy antics:
Alan-Wake-American-Nightmare-Mr.-Scratch.jpg

espher

Most JRPGs, I guess, considering the criticism levied about the art styles of late.

Does Tribes II count?

Oh, add Hellgate: London to the list.

misho8723

Banned
Where are these articles on Alan Wake? The majority of everything I can find is positive. It really don't think it's anywhere near "heavily" critisised. On all platforms user and critic is 80+ on metacritic.

And I remamber Thief 3 being praised, and it's currently sitting at 85/84 on metacritic. Again, doesn't seem heavily critisised to me either.

I know metacritic isn't the only thing to consider, but I can't find any consistent majority feedback suggesting these two received heavy critisism.

Ok, just for clarification - i don't use MC for picking this games.. and when it comes to people, than there are many complains from them in the case of AW or Thief3 - they maybe are ok games, or good games, but the fans of Thief series are mostly acknowledging only Thief1/2, but in thier opinion Thief3 is a game which is something like Deus Ex : Invisible War for the DE series.. and when it comes to AW, then this : http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2010/dec/29/top-10-disappointing-games-of-2010

http://www.gamesradar.com/the-most-disappointing-games-of-2010-gamesradars-editor-choices/

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/biggest-gaming-disappointments-2010/

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/12/the-year-in-disappointments/

And why you are only picking only on me? People are here mentioning games like GTA V, BioShock Infinite, Uncharted 3, Indigo Prophecy, Borderlands, L.A. Noire, etc.. which when we are going by your logic, have ever higher scores on Metacritics

The Shining Force Neo and EXA iterations on PS2.

Neo and EXA get mentioned more for what they were not (namely worthy Shining Force SRPGs) while less attention is given to what they were--vivid, colorful, fast-paced hack n' slash adventures that really pushed the hardware and had all sorts of ways you could structure your playthrough and upgrades, including a memorable, non-linear world with huge difficulty spikes all over the place.

For bright, fun, loot/upgrade hackathons, there's nothing quite like these on PS2, and while I'm not putting them up on the top shelf (not even close) Neo and EXA are definitely more collectible/playable than the level of (deserved) grief they get for not living up to what the Shining Force community wanted.

Read the reviews for more of the failings and quirks (hint: turn the character voices down in Neo), but also take note that graphically these are games that really benefitted from being released late in the PS2 life cycle. PS2 should not be able to do what SEGA attempted here, and it shows (ie. slowdown), but also with an amazingly vivid, distinct and iridescent gameworld in which enemies fill the screen, bombard you with effects, NPCs dish out tongue-in-cheek humor and if you wander down the wrong lane, you can easily have your ass handed to you.

DarkBearKnight

Neo Member
Was Enslaved heavily slaughtered by critics... ??

If so.. Enslaved all the way. One of my favourite underdogs of the generation.

I loved Beyond Two Souls. Also had a tiny soft spot for Fable 3.

I loved every second of Oblivion.

Granted it was my first WRPG in years and probably my first game of that generation, as well as my first PC game that could be heavily modded. So many things were new to me personally that it was a great experience for me.

Really enjoying Thief on PS4 right now.

I'm not super far, about 4.5 hours, but it's almost exactly what I was looking for. Cool town/hub area to explore, and so far great open locations to scour and loot. The story doesn't seem great, but the gameplay seems pure classic Thief so far.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The DS Zeldas for me. I finished The Phantom Hourglass and I'm almost done with Spirit Tracks which IMO is a harder than what people use to comment. The gameplay mechanics are godlike!! Even if I didn't like the idea is of using the stylus to move but now I'd like another similar Zelda in the future :(

Also Mario Kart Wii has some of the best tracks in the series in my opinion.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Quest 64.

It was blazing new ground and damn near the only RPG on the system, with a combat system never before seen. Yes, balance was wack as hell, but the elements and attacks were so cool, and it felt so different since you were really casting and aiming the spells in 3D space, not just causing a sprite to overlay the screen and cause damage.

Speaking personally, my only major problems with the game were the high encounter rate and the fact that water and earth are really the only proper choices of elements. Water has healing (extremely vital) and earth just plain does the most damage, so while there's some cool Wind abilities, there's little reason to level fire or wind. But it still had lots of great ideas, even if not executed so well. Didn't mind the story. I think people over-criticize RPGs that don't try to be Final Fantasy with massive stories.

I loved this game so much. Played through it multiple times back in the day.

Respect

Another vote from me for:

Alpha_Protocol_cover.jpg

EDIT: I probably liked DA2 a lot more than most people. Was definitely a couple steps down from DA:O, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it. The Arishok alone makes it worth it imo.

Maxim726X

So much Final Fantasy XIII love. That makes me happy. It's really not even close to being as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

You're right- It's worse.

In all seriousness, the potential for a great game was there... Maybe along with the series' pedigree, it makes it all that more disappointing.

Ertai

Rage

I triple dipped on that game so i could replay it again and earn the trophies/achievements.

I love the atmosphere, setting, gunplay and animations and i personally think it looks gorgeous..regardless of blurred textures when you're up close.

It got slammed for a lot of things, but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives

Neku

Neo Member
RE6.

I still don't understand why some gamers didn't like this game. I was a huge fan of the "Pulp Fiction" style of story telling in that all the stories intersected with each other and you didn't realise until you played through all of them that they all weaved through each other. I thought that was clever and different, certainly different for an RE game.

You're right- It's worse.

In all seriousness, the potential for a great game was there... Maybe along with the series' pedigree, it makes it all that more disappointing.
Even though FF XIII was one of my favorite games from last gen there is no way I couldn't say I was a little disappointed in certain aspects of it. I just wish it slowed down a bit and given you more chances for exploration besides Pulse. And the game did have towns, but they were just straightforward enemy infested zones like everywhere else. I love it to death but it should have been so much more.

Beyond: Two Souls, it wasn't as great as Heavy Rain but I still had a really good time with it

Yeah, me and my sister had a great time playing it coop, the separate difficulty levels for each player like gears was great too since she doesn't play games much.

Still liked heavy rain much better tho.

Kane&Lynch Series: The Thread ^^

I think the worst thing that K&L1 did, was getting Gerstmann fired for his bad review. And yes, I think that Gerstmann did this game a disservice with his review, but don't think that he should have been fired for it. After Gerstmann was fired, the K&L-series lost every chance to get critical acclaim and has been equally threaded by gamers. I'm not saying that that K&L games are AAA masterpieces (especially not the first one), but they were not as bad as people made them out to be. The second one was especially great and wouldn't it not be for SplinterCell:ChaosTheory, it would be my personal BEST COOP game ever.

Also alot of games mentioned in this thread I also greatly enjoyed while the general consensus was that they sucked: SkywardSword would be a recent one. Just goes to show how good "bad" games can be given the chance.

This is a good choice. I agree they're buggy, wonky games, but I liked them both, especially the sequel. Kane & Lynch 2's visual style, with the simulated compression artifacts and shakeycam was amazing, and the strange, ambient "music" soundtrack was creative and interesting.

I wish the developers would (in the case of a third game) go beyond creating interesting characters and actually try telling a good story with those characters, but still... I'd buy a third K&L in a heartbeat. (On Steam sale, lolz.)

Alan Wake gets some criticism for how repetitive the combat is due to lack of enemy and weapon variety and that's a fair point, but I still love the game and consider it one of the best of the last generation.

Alan Wake is a great game. My main problem with it is the poor, derivative writing. I expect a lot better from Sam Lake. (And speaking of "derivative," AW just outright copies so many elements of Twin Peaks that it's both wonderful and embarrassing. Wonderful because, hey, interactive, explorable Twin Peaks! Embarrassing because I know the team could put a more interesting, original spin on a lot of it.)

The Shining Force Neo and EXA iterations on PS2.

Neo and EXA get mentioned more for what they were not (namely worthy Shining Force SRPGs) while less attention is given to what they were--vivid, colorful, fast-paced hack n' slash adventures that really pushed the hardware and had all sorts of ways you could structure your playthrough and upgrades, including a memorable, non-linear world with huge difficulty spikes all over the place.

For bright, fun, loot/upgrade hackathons, there's nothing quite like these on PS2, and while I'm not putting them up on the top shelf (not even close) Neo and EXA are definitely more collectible/playable than the level of (deserved) grief they get for not living up to what the Shining Force community wanted.

Read the reviews for more of the failings and quirks (hint: turn the character voices down in Neo), but also take note that graphically these are games that really benefitted from being released late in the PS2 life cycle. PS2 should not be able to do what SEGA attempted here, and it shows (ie. slowdown), but also with an amazingly vivid, distinct and iridescent gameworld in which enemies fill the screen, bombard you with effects, NPCs dish out tongue-in-cheek humor and if you wander down the wrong lane, you can easily have your ass handed to you.

Neo and EXA might be poor "Shining Force" games, but they are damn good successors to the Dreamcast's Record of Lodoss War.

When I realized that, my disgust disappeared and was replaced by pure love. (Rest in peace, Neverland...)

Karl Hawk

Banned
Killzone: Shadow Fall. I felt that the multiplayer was quite enjoyable and that having maps available for free was an amazing idea.

I can't help but feel sad that their ''MP maps DLC are free, other DLC's are priced'' approach will not be adopted by other SCE first-party studios.

BGMNTS

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) loved is a strong word but close enough. Its so dumb its great.
Rise of the Argonauts
Resident Evil 5 (its not racist you muppets)

Scrabble

Assassin's Creed 3 is an awesome game, if not solely because running through trees is really cool. Also, Connor's a fantastic character, who gets demonized as being the worst thing ever because he's a video game character who actually resembles a human. I'm tired of the same 'devil may care, nathan drake' type characters that seemingly do no wrong, all the while cracking jokes and being perfect. Sorry, I'm not ten years old anymore. Those characters are boring as fuck.

raigeki11

Neo Member
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn without a doubt. It's my favorite game and I don't understand what people don't like about it. Also Tales of Symphonia 2, obviously not the masterpiece the first game was but still a good, fun game

Top Bottom