• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse |OT| Paris in the spring

FDC1

You're right, it's up now, thanks, I bought the bundle so the game appears as "free" for me as it should.

Goldrusher

Some more details:

- it's a standalone game
- you download it from the Store
- it's 1088 MB (first episode was 1734 MB)
- it has separate trophy list
- every trophy is hidden

I just started playing episode 2 on the Vita. Uhh, is it me or does it not pick up right from the end events of the first episode?

Episode 1 spoilers -
If memory serves, they were stuck on the top of that burning building in London at the end of 1. But at the beginning of 2, they've already in Spain, as if those past events never happened! It's really jarring.

Mr_Zombie

I just started playing episode 2 on the Vita. Uhh, is it me or does it not pick up right from the end events of the first episode?

Episode 1 spoilers -
If memory serves, they were stuck on the top of that burning building in London at the end of 1. But at the beginning of 2, they've already in Spain, as if those past events never happened! It's really jarring.

They do happen. But at the end of episode 1 you can hear fire-brigade's signal in the background so you can assume that Nico and George were simply saved by them. There's no need for a whole scene showing exactly how they were saved.

Shiggy

The boxed game and the t-shirts are supposed to be sent out in the coming two weeks. Any news on the Android version of episode 2 though?

Shiggy

Yesterday the retail version was released in Germany:

81IM988TUBL._SL1500_.jpg

916suJSeubL._SL1500_.jpg

Standard edition:
- Game
- Artbook
- Soundtrack

Collector's Edition:
- Game
- Artbook (32 pages)
- Soundtrack
- Poster
- Broken Sword 1-4
- Director's Notes
- Comics for BS1, BS2 and BS5

dream

I was just about to grab this for 8 bucks on Steam, but man...those user reviews are just brutal.

Is the game really that bad?

inm8num2

I was just about to grab this for 8 bucks on Steam, but man...those user reviews are just brutal.

It's a good game overall with some shortcomings that didn't detract from my experience.

If you're a fan of the series I say buy it!

inm8num2

I trust you, sir. I will buy it.

I have a donut for a head. How could you NOT trust me? :p

Plus, some of the comments in the negative comments on Steam seemed like things that fans of the series actually adore - the wacky cameos, an odd puzzle here or there, some silly humor, etc.

The budget does kind of "run out" near the end of the game, but the art and animations are still pretty good imo. Gameplay is solid and what you'd expect for a 2D point and click. I really enjoyed the story and history explored in the game, too.

Hope you have fun! :)

I thought it was pretty bog-standard stuff to be honest. Not outright bad like Broken Sword 4 is, but very run-of-the-mill and a victim of its ultra-low budget.

Shiggy

I thought it was pretty bog-standard stuff to be honest. Not outright bad like Broken Sword 4 is, but very run-of-the-mill and a victim of its ultra-low budget.

I partly agree though I think it was one of the better adventures, especially when compared to the Telltale crap. The Amazon reviews for the retail versions are mostly negative as the retail version requires a Steam account. Making it Steam-only is rather stupid.

Boem

I partly agree though I think it was one of the better adventures, especially when compared to the Telltale crap. The Amazon reviews for the retail versions are mostly negative as the retail version requires a Steam account, which is rather stupid.

Meh, I agree that Telltale isn't perfect, but at least they're often more inspired in their art direction and scenario's to me, as well as having better voices and dialogue. I don't think it's fair to compare them on gameplay as they're trying to achieve completely different things. Broken Sword is going for a more traditional point & click while Telltale stopped trying to do that a couple of years ago.

It didn't really capture the magic of the old Broken Swords for me, and I loved those (well, the first two). I don't mind having backed it but I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew this is what it turned into. Adventure Games just get very expensive very quickly, especially when you want them to be fully voiced and not based on pixel-art. The Double Fine documentary about their kickstarter game (the doc was secretly the best thing about their kickstarter, incredibly well made) gives an amazing insight on how quickly the costs stack up, and how difficult it is to work around that. Double Fine has the benefit of having loads of talented artists and animators in their team, so they managed to make it (mostly) work, but Broken Sword sadly couldn't manage that.

Shiggy

Meh, I agree that Telltale isn't perfect, but at least they're often more inspired in their art direction and scenario's to me, as well as having better voices and dialogue. I don't think it's fair to compare them on gameplay as they're trying to achieve completely different things. Broken Sword is going for a more traditional point & click while Telltale stopped trying to do that a couple of years ago.

I think the visuals of Telltale games most often look incredibly cheap and the games run poorly. I like the BS games mostly for their settings.

It didn't really capture the magic of the old Broken Swords for me, and I loved those (well, the first two). I don't mind having backed it but I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew this is what it turned into. Adventure Games just get very expensive very quickly, especially when you want them to be fully voiced and not based on pixel-art. The Double Fine documentary about their kickstarter game (the doc was secretly the best thing about their kickstarter, incredibly well made) gives an amazing insight on how quickly the costs stack up, and how difficult it is to work around that. Double Fine has the benefit of having loads of talented artists and animators in their team, so they managed to make it (mostly) work, but Broken Sword sadly couldn't manage that.

I think BS5 turned out a lot better than Broken Age. The visuals are absolutely adorable. The voice acting is sometimes a bit off though, while a few puzzles in Episode 2 are a bit difficult (even with the solution I didn't understand one in particular). The ending came a bit of a sudden though.
What put me off Broken Age were both the setting and the visuals. My dad played through both BS5 and Broken Age and just shares the same feelings - he's a fan of both Telltale games and Broken Sword titles.

The backer stuff is finally being sent out now, they just sent out an email.

Shiggy

Dear Backers,

Thank you for all the feedback you have kindly given on your Kickstarter Special Edition Boxed Game. The response has been really positive, but some concerns have been raised about DRM.

If you have received your game, you will know that the Broken Sword 5 game disk requires a Steam account. We apologise if this is not what you expected. We accepted the preference of the distributor that produced both the Kickstarter Exclusive Boxed Game and the Collector Edition that this approach offered the best user experience, particularly in regard to updates and optimisations.

From the start we offered a DRM-free alternative version of the game to backers on all platforms, and for all pledge levels. This was something we promised at the beginning and we’ve endeavoured to fulfil this. However, with over 3,000 Kickstarter boxes to be made and sent out, there were decisions that had to be made that would please some but not others.

Apologies to anyone who feels disappointed - we have done our best to try and ensure that those who loyally supported the project get great rewards.

Best wishes,

Charles Cecil and the Revolution Team

I'm already kind of annoyed by their lack of communication with backers, but this is another big "fuck you" to backers. First, they made the Android versions available to backers later than the Google Store versions (episode 2 is still not available to backers), now this DRM-crap.

Would I back one of their games again? Sure, but only at a lower tier.

playXray

Got this on Vita a couple of weeks ago but not had chance to play yet. As a fan of the first two games (not sure what happened to 3 and 4) I can't wait to play it. I'm a big fan of old school point and clicks, so this should be mint.

Phoenixus

Just got the episode 1 & 2 bundle on Vita since it was on sale, and completed the first episode, but where's the second? Pretty sure I downloaded both halves. :S

Just got my collectors edition, has one of those wraparound sheets that are too big to store in the game box once you take off the shrinkwrap and will quickly scuff if you leave it where it is. Fantastic idea for a collectors edition Revolution. Between this, the cd using steam and having to kick up a fuss to get a replacement, the gog codes being late and the game not even being that good, I don't think I'll be backing revolution's next project. Too many disappointments.

wouwie

This game is coming out tomorrow on consoles. I was wondering: do you need any prior knowledge (= playing the previous games) to fully enjoy this 5th game in the series? I've never played the previous games although i did buy 2 of them at some point long after they were originally released. But for some reason, i've never been really motivated to play this particular adventure franchise. I think i should at least give this 5th game a fair go since i like playing adventure games in general.

daviyoung

Banned
This game is coming out tomorrow on consoles. I was wondering: do you need any prior knowledge (= playing the previous games) to fully enjoy this 5th game in the series? I've never played the previous games although i did buy 2 of them at some point long after they were originally released. But for some reason, i've never been really motivated to play this particular adventure franchise. I think i should at least give this 5th game a fair go since i like playing adventure games in general.

not really, but there are a tonne of jokes and references that make sense if you know the older games...the fan service isn't obnoxious though

also because the puzzles and tone is very similar to the original two games it may take longer to get into the groove of it while someone with the knowledge of the previous games would fit into it like a pair of old shoes

Mr_Zombie

There are some references to previous games and/or characters here and there and some jokes that you won't get, but it's not MGS - you won't get lost.

Audioboxer

Playing through the physical version on PS4. Reached where chapter 2 starts. Loving it so far. Just what I wanted from Broken Sword. Love some of the witty replies from showing useless items to characters.

Easy platinum as well :p

Considering picking up The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 after I have finished with BS5.

Really bummed the PS4 version wasn't cross-buy as the PS Blog said it would be. Got the Vita version when it came out and was looking forward to replaying it and checking out what the "enhancements" were.

painey

Picked this up in the XBL sale for $12.50 and beat it in just over 9 hours.\

Overall, I liked it a lot. I LOVED BS1+2 and tolerated 3+4. I'm glad they went back to basics for a 2D point and click, but obviously this felt very 'kickstarted'. Obviously cheap 3D assets instead of classic cel drawn, lack of complex puzzles.. often being able to solve everything on one screen, a rather tiresome obsession with goats (when fan service goes TOO far) and the ending seemed incredibly easy/dull.

It's worth the money I spent, especially as I bought it partly to reward the devs for going back to point and click. I would love to see a BS6 that is meaty, but I doubt those days are ever coming.

Top Bottom