• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines -Lets play it again with mods!

Moofers

Just started this up last night and the game seems really ugly compared to the screenshots you've posted in the OP. I know some are of the modded product, but even the "before" pics look way better than what I'm playing.

How can I adjust the graphics in the game? There's nothing in the options at all.

**edit** there's minimal stuff to adjust under "visuals" in there. I've got everything maxed except Gamma which I left at default.

I've fixed the resolution to the maximum (1080x1200 or whatever) and things like the lifebars and action prompts look really fucked up like the game came out in 1999 and not in 2004. My PC was brand new in 2010, so it should be waaaay capable of running this maxed out. I play Left 4 Dead 2 and Killing Floor maxed out, this should be no problem.

Any tips? I'm not much of a PC guy. I never play with mods because it seems daunting to me. :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I keep making mistakes with my Ventrue build.

I blew money on light clothes for her but wasn't able to actually use them.
I specialized in firearms even though most early game stuff has you fighting melee.
I upgraded her Dominate even though it's superfluous in the wake of also having Persuasion, Intimidation, and Seduction (all of which also constantly cross over with each other)

I'm still goin through with the game though. Part of the fun is making mistakes and still managing.

For this running I am being a total b to the Anarchs and siding always with the Prince.

I'm still goin through with the game though. Part of the fun is making mistakes and still managing..

True! Though to be fair part of this game is also exploiting console commands when you've backed yourself into an unwinnable position due to making poor build decisions.

I've never built a Ventrue before though, your build could work better than it sounds.

Sub_Level

"HEY! MOTHERFUCKING GOOD CHICKEN RIGHT THERE! I MEAN...FRIGGIN CHICKEN ;)"

Deb of Night is my favorite radio station in a game. Even better than GTA and Fallout!

Sub_Level

Stealth stat seems pretty useless. I never levelled it up once and I was able to stealth the parking lot briefcase mission just fine (although I did quicksave a lot on the final floor and use Command on some of the thugs)

Got quadruple digit money in the wallet now and don't know where to spend it. Haven't even gotten to Hollywood. Basic bitches on the street see me rollin' and know who queen bee is...

At that point I basically just spend my excess money on blood bags or ammo if you're using guns, neither of which you're likely to run out of but you never know.

I could listen to Fat Larry spew bullshit all night.

Fat Larry would get his own game
la_hub_10007-700x525.jpg

Sub_Level

My "act like a bitch to everybody because I'm better than them" Ventrue playthrough has been going really well.

14553073208_1e083aba46_b.jpg

dat Activision foreshadowing

14553075088_cdb045a261_b.jpg

._.

14737364664_d7babf2e84_b.jpg

Have a taste of your own medicine, game.

14553090469_bdc7f95cfc_b.jpg

Don't need your approval, subjugated peasant.

Man, I need to gear up for a Nosferatu playthrough some day. Kinda waiting for some sort of critical mass of replayers that tends to happen around Halloween/sales to share my experiences with. God I love this game.

Sub_Level

They should like, combine pizza and nachos together and call them pizznachios. Man, I could go for some pizznachios right now.

14559868478_a24bf816f9_b.jpg

XBOX port might have helped sales. Half-Life 2 on Xbox was surprisingly decent. And a 360 port a mere year later? Sheeeeit.

14746517365_19955082bc_b.jpg

Killed off every enemy in this place. That Mac-10 is crazy. Love the Anaconda too.

Die My Darling!

The cheesy Goth posters in this game are great. "In a world...where everyone seems to listen to Lacuna Coil..." Still love Bloodlines by Ministry, though.

Sub_Level

"What I am is Kindred. How others choose to categorize themselves concerns me only where local customs are concerned. Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

dat writing

Finished the game last night (well, this morning, stayed up until like 3...), My initially social, physically feeble Ventrue ended up being quite the demi god. 10 Defense, 10 Hacking, 8 Ranged, 9 Persuasion, 8 Seduction, Level 3 Fortitude...the game does a fantastic job of making you feel like you've gone on a real journey and gotten stronger. Any rpg has levelling up, but too often they just feel like numbers. Bar-filling reminiscent of CoD.

14604103738_6ea7bbfd7d_b.jpg

My Ventrue sided with the Prince for the entirety of the run. I forgot how cool the third act of the game was. Shit really hits the fan. Was my first time fighting Ming Xiao. Ran out of ammo and didn't specialize in melee so I had to buff quite a bit. Glad I blew a ton of money on blood packs. FPS games, I think, struggle with having engaging boss fights, but the ones in VtmB were surprisingly decent.

14767741006_37c9207808_b.jpg

Overall I would consider it a legit 10/10 game. Really rough around the edges, but still tremendously sharp.

That feel when it's over :(

Sub_Level

Burnt myself out on this run. At least for the forseeable future. Are there any other good shooter rpg hybridgs out there? Played the Deus Exes, System Shock 2, and New Vegas already. Pathologic and the original System Shock are too hardcore for me.

I wish I liked isometric point n click/drag games. So many rpg classics I won't play including Troika's Arcanum :(

Love how different Vampires can bring out alternate playthoughs and UNIQUE dialog. The extreme ends of the spectrum are Malkavian and Nosferatu. Playing Venture is your "normal" RPG standard with Gangrel and Tremere for unique playstyles.

Damn this fucking game. Had it not been this buggy it would have easily become RPG of the decade.

Next

"What I am is Kindred. How others choose to categorize themselves concerns me only where local customs are concerned. Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

who's this quote from?

Sub_Level

You get NO respect from people as a Nosferatu lol. Some of the stuff I took for granted on previous playthroughs no longer apply. Privilege = checked.

televator

I'm finally getting around to installing this game! It's my first attempt. The actual base game instal is done. I did it from a complete boxed set I found at a local shop a while back. CD based instals are cray. Swapping disks like I'm back in 1998 or something lol.

I'm downloading the latest unofficial patch. Is that all I need to get widescreen support? Also will AA work through my AMD card?

Scrum

Since its up for cheap on steam today I thougth that pushing this thread up would be great idea. :)

I have played it before but never with mods.
I already have it installed...now to find the time for playing it :)

Sub_Level

Since its up for cheap on steam today I thougth that pushing this thread up would be great idea. :)

I have played it before but never with mods.
I already have it installed...now to find the time for playing it :)

The missions are mostly short so it's a good game to play in bursts. You'll wanna dedicate a few hours at first to learning the mechanics though. Nothing complicated by any stretch (you can hypothetically play the game without worrying much at all about stats and abilities) but it will take a few missions before you get the movement and actions down. edit: unless you already beat it :p

Still meaning to do my Nosferatu playthrough - I'll have to update the thread when I do.

God I love this game. Love seeing this thread bumped.

MetalSlug

I've been binge watching Buffy (Finished) and Angel (Season 2 atm) this year. Thinking of getting this game since it's cheap.

I've been binge watching Buffy (Finished) and Angel (Season 2 atm) this year. Thinking of getting this game since it's cheap.
This game has better writing than both, and I love Buffy.

Seriously, this game is very fun and clever- with some of the best characters I've had the joy to accept quests from.

m_dorian

I'm always on the fence about getting this. I guess I'm not sure what to expect going in.

This is exactly what i feel the past 6 years i found out this game exists. Some say the combat is not very good and that is what keeps me away. For now.

Pilgrimzero

This is exactly what i feel the past 6 years i found out this game exists. Some say the combat is not very good and that is what keeps me away. For now.

I will admit the combat can be a bit... difficult (especially the sewer section), but if you find the combat to rough simply cheat. Give yourself a ton of XP and bulk up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this myself (along with Planescape). Finished the tutorial last night and I'm quite enjoying it.

Combat is naff, but I'm going in as pacifist as possible anyway. The world is pretty engrossing.

Sub_Level

The combat isn't great but it's definitely not outright bad. You can play it in a simple fashion and just focus on buffs, armor, ammo, and unarmed/melee combat and you'll do just fine. Money might be an issue for the first half of the game but eventually you'll have more than you know what to do with, especially if you do sidequests. There are a couple difficulty spikes but for those encounters you just gotta improvise or be patient with respect to your regenerating health.

Just started this myself (along with Planescape). Finished the tutorial last night and I'm quite enjoying it.

Combat is naff, but I'm going in as pacifist as possible anyway. The world is pretty engrossing.

Occasional bouts of heavy unavoidable combat await you the second half of the game but even if you focus on social skills or stealth (lockpicking, sneaking, hacking) to avoid combat you should be able to make it out alive. You won't find armor often but be on the lookout for it at merchants. Good luck fledgling.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Occasional bouts of heavy unavoidable combat await you the second half of the game but even if you focus on social skills or stealth (lockpicking, sneaking, hacking) to avoid combat you should be able to make it out alive. You won't find armor often but be on the lookout for it at merchants. Good luck fledgling.

That's what I'm hoping to do, glad to hear it's a possibility. I'm very much into stealth, so I'm glad to see it's fairly robust. I've gone Toreador and named myself Constantine, so that should tell you all you need to know about the kind of playthrough I'm aiming for. :D

The stealth meter is taking a little getting used to, mind.

Dresden

Put some points into Celerity as Toreador. It's the best combat ability in the game, which is nice to have because there's stuff you can't resolve without violence. Stealth works fine for most things, though.

Sub_Level

That's what I'm hoping to do, glad to hear it's a possibility. I'm very much into stealth, so I'm glad to see it's fairly robust. I've gone Toreador and named myself Constantine, so that should tell you all you need to know about the kind of playthrough I'm aiming for. :D

The stealth meter is taking a little getting used to, mind.

I did not level up sneaking once and I was still able to pass sidequests that demanded you use stealth in addition to sneaking past portions of main story missions. It's not a hugely important stat. I never played Toreador but it looks like your Auspex will help you with sneaking (although honestly with the 3rd person camera you can see around corners pretty effectively) while Presence will help with bosses. Lockpicking and Hacking will probably be more critical to you going unnoticed. You can do one, the other, or level up a little of both evenly. Up to you m8.

For social skills, keep in mind there is often an overlap. If you are already good at seducing people, for example, it may not be the best use of points to also level up intimidation or persuasion since in certain dialog trees you will just see multiple skills you can use that all end up accomplishing the same goal anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be ashamed to cheat past unavoidable conflict, namely the final boss. It shouldn't be a thing in a game like this anyway.

How do I cheat...?

Put some points into Celerity as Toreador. It's the best combat ability in the game, which is nice to have because there's stuff you can't resolve without violence. Stealth works fine for most things, though.

Nice one, chief. Do guns, unarmed or melee work better with it?

I did not level up sneaking once and I was still able to pass sidequests that demanded you use stealth in addition to sneaking past portions of main story missions. It's not a hugely important stat. I never played Toreador but it looks like your Auspex will help you with sneaking (although honestly with the 3rd person camera you can see around corners pretty effectively) while Presence will help with bosses. Lockpicking and Hacking will probably be more critical to you going unnoticed. You can do one, the other, or level up a little of both evenly. Up to you m8.

For social skills, keep in mind there is often an overlap. If you are already good at seducing people, for example, it may not be the best use of points to also level up intimidation or persuasion since in certain dialog trees you will just see multiple skills you can use that all end up accomplishing the same goal anyway.

Excellent, thanks. I'm still getting my head around the system actually works.

Dresden

Nice one, chief. Do guns, unarmed or melee work better with it?

Guns or melee work well. I don't think unarmed is even viable unless you pick Gangrel? I'd recommend guns over melee though; it's better for basically everything after the first hub, which is where combat is least necessary.

I'd focus on getting Celerity to rank 3 before any of the other spells. Auspex is okay if you go firearms, and Presence is kinda useless, from what I played.

It's more that Seduction comes up very rarely, especially for male characters, and I think there's like one Intimidation check in the whole game. If you want to talk your way through encounters you go Persuasion.

Top Bottom