• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Moonstone

Getting the same with the ranger

By the way, I've got a quest
where I have to answer questions based on a book, and he says the book is in every library, but I went to Cecil's library and it wasn't in there, unless it's in a container that I'm not supposed to open. Is it in a different library?

No it's there. But it is bugged and all pages are empty. Hoewever you only have to answer 3 questions and they are not hard to figure out.

Ourobolus

Banned
Rank 5 is all you need, and max for smithing and crafting.

You always make items equal to the crafter's level, so if you're 11, you make level 11 items. The advantage is that the raw stats are better, and when you enhance them (like weapons on a whetstone), the damage range is better than any legendary or unique that could drop. They're additionally customizable by adding other +enchantment items, but at low levels I don't really think it's necessary or worthwhile.

This is the reference I use for crafting recipes: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=511616

I get that, I guess. But can you continually enhance an item? I mean, if a legendary comes with like 6 modifiers, can I keep enhancing a weapon, and if so, how? I feel like what I've read (and I've been using that forum post as well) only allows me to do it once and I don't understand how that could possibly be better than a really good drop.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse - are there any examples you could give me?

I get that, I guess. But can you continually enhance an item? I mean, if a legendary comes with like 6 modifiers, can I keep enhancing a weapon, and if so, how? I feel like what I've read (and I've been using that forum post as well) only allows me to do it once and I don't understand how that could possibly be better than a really good drop.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse - are there any examples you could give me?

I don't think he implied they would be better than a really good drop and if they were that'd defeat the purpose of legendaries and stuff if all you needed was to get to blacksmith 5 which is to be honest very easy to do. That said you have to gear 4 characters(or 2 at least, depends on how you play) and finding good drops isn't really reliable so crafting is a good way to upgrade your gear if you're not being lucky with drops. The gear is good, it's not the best but it's better than most of what you find, which should be a good enough incentive to do it.

Finalow

with invisibility I'm literally stealing everything. the market in the first city is empty. lol

anyhow, is anyone still using a ranger late-game? I picked her as my second main character and I don't know if I should just transform her into a mage or something.

Silverglen Mines question

Invunerable Death Knights are annoying as heck. I am at the 2nd waypoint and can't seem to get past the one in front of the bridge. I think I am near the temple which the skeleton miners provided the password for.

danthefan

Silverglen Mines question

Invunerable Death Knights are annoying as heck. I am at the 2nd waypoint and can't seem to get past the one in front of the bridge. I think I am near the temple which the skeleton miners provided the password for.

You just have to wait for him to turn and run to the far side. No trick to it really. And watch for the one that patrols over the bridge.

Torraz

How does arrow recovery work? Do you pick up the arrows from corpses again, or are they never consumed in the first place?

This weekend I finally found time to dive in to D:OS. It's everything GAF hyped it up to be. The tactical combat and flexible approach to abilities have been a pleasure to experience. I wish I could try out a dozen different party combinations from start to finish, but I'm afraid if this thing goes 60+ hours I am unlikely to play it more than one more time in my life (in multiplayer, I hope).

Silverglen question:
did I cost myself anything significant by using a bloodstone to heal the big pack animal?

Leezard

This weekend I finally found time to dive in to D:OS. It's everything GAF hyped it up to be. The tactical combat and flexible approach to abilities have been a pleasure to experience. I wish I could try out a dozen different party combinations from start to finish, but I'm afraid if this thing goes 60+ hours I am unlikely to play it more than one more time in my life (in multiplayer, I hope).

Silverglen question:
did I cost myself anything significant by using a bloodstone to heal the big pack animal?

Answer:
No. You can get more.

Brakke

Banned
Silverglen question:

Naw. That's the only place I've encountered where using a bloodstone is useful at all. I think there might be a second quest that requires one but I haven't seen it yet. In fact, by using the bloodstone you've gained one credit for Homestead unlocks, so that's a fine thing to do.

Ploid 3.0

There are so many useless points people may end up picking. I'm thinking about starting over yet again. I wasted a point in Luck, barter, and some other things on my 4th reroll. I'm almost at the point my thief may be out of the bone buffet and get some regular meat to stab (I'm not sure, just guessing, never played past the first map). Leech is interesting for when I get attacked though, and thief can still melt bones as long as they aren't armored. I wish skill books weren't so random on finding. I would just go for a respec whenever it's available but I have no desire to fish for the old spells.

Also the loot seem pretty useless all the time, good for selling and converting to spell books though.

I wonder if they will give people reason's to want to put points in them in future updates or expansion. It's recommended to totally skip putting points into weapons until a certain singular universal skill opens up for crying out loud.

Sneak seems useful for a particular playstyle, using it between attacks if you are out of cones to sneak > attack for the extra bonus damage from guerrilla. Though like barter, telekinesis, and crafting you can just use the sneak armor for when you're fighting since useful stats like dex are rarely on things (not many stat competition due to what you'd normally find).

Esch

Banned
It's going to be really interesting to see which one reviews best and sells the most, because Divinity's getting lots of "best RPG in years, 9/10" which makes no sense to me at all.

Like, what does it need for a 10/10 - a $50 million dollar marketing campaign? That gets you the first six points easily enough, but I like to think that reviewers have morals that they adhere to, reserving that final point for something that's actually good... like Divinity: Original Sin.

Slightly better story and production values. The in quest writing is cool, but the world building is fairly boilerplate and doesn't interest.

There are so many useless points people may end up picking. I'm thinking about starting over yet again. I wasted a point in Luck, barter, and some other things on my 4th reroll. I'm almost at the point my thief may be out of the bone buffet and get some regular meat to stab (I'm not sure, just guessing, never played past the first map). Leech is interesting for when I get attacked though, and thief can still melt bones as long as they aren't armored. I wish skill books weren't so random on finding. I would just go for a respec whenever it's available but I have no desire to fish for the old spells.

Also the loot seem pretty useless all the time, good for selling and converting to spell books though.

I wonder if they will give people reason's to want to put points in them in future updates or expansion. It's recommended to totally skip putting points into weapons until a certain singular universal skill opens up for crying out loud.

Sneak seems useful for a particular playstyle, using it between attacks if you are out of cones to sneak > attack for the extra bonus damage from guerrilla. Though like barter, telekinesis, and crafting you can just use the sneak armor for when you're fighting since useful stats like dex are rarely on things (not many stat competition due to what you'd normally find).

You really don't have to worry about what you spend your points on. It will all even out in the end. It's only fairly hard during the first map. Once you reach level 10 or so you shouldn't have much problems anymore. You can't really fuck up a character build. Just have fun and don't try to care about min-maxing.

Finalow

I think that I made a mistake by making my 2 main characters a rogue and a ranger, from what I'm reading and from what I've played, I needed a mage. the mage that your hire in the first town isn't too bad but, I'm just level 4 and his healing spell already sucks, also I suppose that I can't really specialize in all the elements with just him.
by the way, those 2 companions are the only ones in the game? Besides the hencmen that you can hire later.

also, any suggestions on which talents I should pick? So far it seemed that the ability to talk to animals is pretty useful.

why shouldn't I put points in the weapon abilities? And what universal skill.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly better story and production values. The in quest writing is cool, but the world building is fairly boilerplate and doesn't interest.

The story is bland and horribly cliched. I can't say I'm a fan of the somewhat goofy tone, either. Also, yeah, the Divinity world has never been very interesting to me.

The gameplay/art/sound is just excellent, though.

epmode

These guys make the best looking lava in videogames, not jokes.

Without spoiling the solution, is it possible to deal with sandstorms via crafting like you can with ice?

Ploid 3.0

why shouldn't I put points in the weapon abilities? And what universal skill.

It's a bit of a spoiler, something story based (it seems) and gameplay based.
You unlock something else to spend points in that pretty much counts for any weapon, and I'm assuming it's the better stat even if you're only using one weapon.

Anyway it don't seem like it matter much if you don't spend the points in the weapons early game.

I don't actually mind restarting like I do. It's fast and I don't really have to reread anything which would slow me down. In RPGs I usually go after the gameplay anyway.

Finalow

It's a bit of a spoiler, something story based (it seems) and gameplay based.
You unlock something else to spend points in that pretty much counts for any weapon, and I'm assuming it's the better stat even if you're only using one weapon.
well if you know what it is just write it, I don't mind spoilers for something like that. also I'm still deciding in what skills I should invest points so it should help.

Ploid 3.0

well if you know what it is just write it, I don't mind spoilers for something like that. also I'm still deciding in what skills I should invest points so it should help.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/45350244805717208/?l=english

If you are planning to get weapon skill, do not get any from the start. Only pump Tenebrium (you get it mid to late game) as Tenebrium weapons are higher damage weapons. The Tenebrium skill is good for any weapons regardless of type (doesn't matter if it's bow, crossbow, 1 handed or 2 handed).

But what does that even mean?

The world is not boilerplate... it's whimsical and wacky, completely unlike a vast majority of fantasy settings (in gaming) that take themselves with the utmost seriousness. The setting enables Larian to make whatever game they want - it puts gameplay and fun on the forefront before anything else, and ensures that the setting will never be ruined by theludonarrative dissonance that plagues most games.

If they focused more on story, that would mean sacrificing the openness and freedom that is core to Divinity: Original Sin's design, and the game would be less remarkable because of it.

I think the answer to my question from before would be to have more focus groups during development so the game can become reviewer catnip. (The new Tomb Raider comes to mind for some reason.)

Finalow

oh. so if for example I just use a bow, instead of using skill points the in bow ability I just save them for that type of skill and gear? The thing is, if I get that pretty late I'll have more problems by doing less damage before I actually reach that point where I get the skill. unless the default skills for each weapon are just bad and it's not worth it for the damage gaining or whatever they give.

Ploid 3.0

oh. so if for example I just use a bow, instead of using skill points the in bow ability I just save them for that type of skill and gear?

The thing is, if I get that pretty late I'll have more problems by doing less damage before I actually reach that point where I get the skill. unless the default skills for each weapon are just bad and it's not worth it for the damage gaining or whatever they give.

It seems that you can compensate for not putting points into the weapons by getting gear with weapon skill +. It sounds like the point where you unlock the skill isn't too far where the game punish you for working on other skills. The other option is to respec but then you will most likely miss out on abilities that were only available in character creator and the first area (some abilities are only available on character creator :( ). One or two upgrades in weapon may not be all that noticeable, if it becomes a problem I'll just put 1 point in it to see if the damage helps me on a spot I get stuck on. it could also be a good challenge, then I'll get the skill and get to spend the points as a reward.

Your exact skill/talent/attribute breakdown in this game is so unimportant in the broader scheme of things. Most important skills that aren't weapon or spell skills can be had on gear; most of the stronger talents are still less significant than the benefit of tactical positioning and spell usage; the atts all have some reasonable benefit and explain exactly what they do so it's pretty hard to get a really terrible build.

Trying to avoid learning weapon skills so you can slightly optimize for over halfway through the game, or avoiding hybrid classes out of belief that they can't be "optimum," or whatever, is totally unnecessary.

Finalow

okey, in any case I needed other skills before that. I see that weapons skills give you a 10% damage boost each level so I'm not sure how it's worth it to get 5 points in it.

an easy way to farm/craft a lot of elemental arrows? Also it seems that you need crafting level 4 for the ice and charming arrows? That's a pretty high requirement.

Charm arrows seems kind of pointless to me since you get a charm shot ability.

Also, I started a game with a bow ranger. In the early level's he was kind of a support character, mostly for crowd control, stunning, charming, etc, and my melee characters (Madora with the 2 hander and sword and shield paladin type for my other char) were doing most of the damage.

But now that I'm on level 16, he's a death dealing machine. Quickdraw allows him to fire every 3 AP, which means I can get off 3 shots every turn, 30% crit rating means he's hitting for crit damage all the time, and with the bully talent, my two melee characters now just ram charge and knock people down and he follows up with the killing blow. With the Oath of Desecration buff often he gets multiple kills with an Ricochet attack alone.

Brakke

Banned
an easy way to farm/craft a lot of elemental arrows? Also it seems that you need crafting level 4 for the ice and charming arrows? That's a pretty high requirement.

There are areas where enemy archers will drop special arrows by the tens, I always had plenty. If you're fiending for more, just rip off the fletcher and the legion quartermaster.

Moonstone

I think most, if not all of them can be purchased at your homestead. You need to have used a few bloodstones though.

All of them should be available. Due to the randomness which spellbooks you get from the merchants, you might miss out a skill. Solution: Use infinite skillbooks mod and/or try to buy a lot of skillbooks, check after every level up the merchants. If you buy a book it will be substituted with a new one.

Mephala

Been playing this for the last two days. I'm currently level 7 and I finally feel somewhat confident in my party. When I'm off to a bad start in a fight I don't feel the need to tap F8 immediately.

This game is stupidly addicting. I can't believe how good it is. I'm loving the no level scale so exploration is fun and exciting. The combination of elements is infuriating and so rewarding at the same time. Starting off with two main characters that you can shape however you want is fantastic. I think I made some questionable decisions which made the beginning all the more challenging but I'm having a blast!

Charm is ridiculously useful. It also has a really long cooldown. I'm pretty sure the arrows are not on the same cooldown.

Don't think the arrows have any cooldown, but I haven't really tried them. In typical RPG hoarder fashion, I have like 5 thousand special arrows and have never shot one, I keep them for when I might "need" them. Mind you, that as a rogue, so I don't shoot very often to begin with. Still yeah I'd use the charm arrows if I ran into a fight I couldn't beat otherwise to get more charms going. So far hadn't had an issue but some fights are kinda rough.

As for skill points and builds and optimizing, you can definitely optimize but I'd say other than the mages, you'll end up with plenty of spare points, you might not get everything but the effect is going to be minor, for example getting from 4 to 5 in a weapon costs 5skill points and only increases dmg by 10% so it's no big deal if you have a bunch of 1pt stuff instead. I'm still optimizing cause it's in my nature but for example my rogue who's tearing stuff apart currently is floating 17skill points(waiting for the special weapon skill thing to unlock to dump 15points in that) as well as 4 attributes(not sure where I want them so keeping them until I figured something good), so you have a lot of room. Proper combat strategy, positionning and tactics is a lot more important than builds or gear(to an extent, for rogues you do want those +1 sneak items but that's it really).

Mages have less spare points though because you do want to level the skills high to get more slots and stuff. If you have 2mages it's easier but if you're going for a single mage then you'll need every point possible to try to max 1school of magic while having all the good cheap stuff from the others(or if you play lone wolf, max 2).

Labadal

Don't think the arrows have any cooldown, but I haven't really tried them. In typical RPG hoarder fashion, I have like 5 thousand special arrows and have never shot one, I keep them for when I might "need" them. Mind you, that as a rogue, so I don't shoot very often to begin with. Still yeah I'd use the charm arrows if I ran into a fight I couldn't beat otherwise to get more charms going. So far hadn't had an issue but some fights are kinda rough.

As for skill points and builds and optimizing, you can definitely optimize but I'd say other than the mages, you'll end up with plenty of spare points, you might not get everything but the effect is going to be minor, for example getting from 4 to 5 in a weapon costs 5skill points and only increases dmg by 10% so it's no big deal if you have a bunch of 1pt stuff instead. I'm still optimizing cause it's in my nature but for example my rogue who's tearing stuff apart currently is floating 17skill points(waiting for the special weapon skill thing to unlock to dump 15points in that) as well as 4 attributes(not sure where I want them so keeping them until I figured something good), so you have a lot of room. Proper combat strategy, positionning and tactics is a lot more important than builds or gear(to an extent, for rogues you do want those +1 sneak items but that's it really).

Mages have less spare points though because you do want to level the skills high to get more slots and stuff. If you have 2mages it's easier but if you're going for a single mage then you'll need every point possible to try to max 1school of magic while having all the good cheap stuff from the others(or if you play lone wolf, max 2).

You can buy arrows in Cyseal, no reason to not use them.

Hastati

Charm is one of my favorite skills in this game. The fact that it has a high success rate and can be used on most enemies makes it just that much more fun to use. I'd say any scoundrel/rogue character should grab it.

Before I realized, my primary witchcraft/scoundrel party leader had almost entirely support skills and rarely did any significant damage to enemies. I just love how easy it is to make really useful support characters in this game.

It's also really fun to use all of those support skills on summons. Elementals become so OP.

Jag

For the starting zone, here is a map i found on reddit that shows what level each area is, up to level 9. I like discovering this stuff on my own, but I know people have had problems figuring out the progression, so I'll post the link, but not embed the map

http://i.imgur.com/O42hd38.gif

You can buy arrows in Cyseal, no reason to not use them.

But what if I use all of them and then when I need them they don't have any for sale anymore? Better never use them just in case of!

I know it's stupid logic but that's always how I end up playing RPGs. I just keep all kind of crap I never end up using, or sometimes I use it on the last boss cause I figure it's too late to find a good use for them anyway.

Char is a rogue though not an archer, I do shoot at stuff but only when meleeing it puts me at risk(exploding mobs or when I'm low health and they're sitting in the middle of a toxic inferno which is generally how the battlefield ends up after my mage does his stuff). I'd use them more if I was an archer I think, I'd probably look into crafting them too and buying vendor stock every level.

But what if I use all of them and then when I need them they don't have any for sale anymore? Better never use them just in case of!

I know it's stupid logic but that's always how I end up playing RPGs. I just keep all kind of crap I never end up using, or sometimes I use it on the last boss cause I figure it's too late to find a good use for them anyway.

Char is a rogue though not an archer, I do shoot at stuff but only when meleeing it puts me at risk(exploding mobs or when I'm low health and they're sitting in the middle of a toxic inferno which is generally how the battlefield ends up after my mage does his stuff). I'd use them more if I was an archer I think, I'd probably look into crafting them too and buying vendor stock every level.

Vendors get new stock every time you level, IIRC, so it would be difficult for them to run out.

It's also easy to end up with lots of arrows through various non-shop means. Crafting 3 will allow you to make most of the straightforward arrows (poison, fire, etc). Plus, having a rogue should mean the five-finger discount is always an option, too.

Also, and this seems sorta OP, special arrows don't need accuracy which means even non-archers can use them very effectively.

So, Pyros... go wild!

Finalow

took me 40 fucking minutes to win the battle at the entrance of the north cave in the first map. not sure if it was an hard battle or if my party is awful.

Mephala

When I don't have a dedicated archer I just either spam them or sell them. When I do have an archer though I tend to keep the special arrows. I have a huge collection and each area I'm just gathering more. I suggest using one or two for boss battles, typically to quickly mop up some of the fodder so you can start hammering the boss. Doing this I reload less and still have plenty of arrows to spare.

To put my mind at ease with "what if I NEED this later?" I'll only use arrows I have multiple of. I also sometimes have arrows on other characters (cause I'm messy) which can be a pleasant surprise when I finally get to sorting things.

Jag

took me 40 fucking minutes to win the battle at the entrance of the north cave in the first map. not sure if it was an hard battle or if my party is awful.

40 minutes sounds long, but I do like that battles take some time. It's part of the fun.

Finalow

40 minutes sounds long, but I do like that battles take some time. It's part of the fun.
oh, I meant 40 minutes for the whole session, I restarted the battleb 3-4 times 'cause I kept getting frozen/stunned and then killed.

in any case I've not played co-op yet, before letting random people in if there's someone here that wants to join me I'd like to try it. I'm level 5 with half of the first map done.

Moonstone

Is there a trick to get some gold? Some crafting tips? I'm always gold starved.

I found the Teller of Secrets when I was around level 10 or 11. For every level up he has 2 skillbooks which cost 15k total. That's pretty much, I need also gold for other stuff.
So I need probably 25-30k for every level.

Can't even afford to buy his secret maps.

Top Bottom