• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Speculator

BioWare Austin
I think the war spoils system needs some tweaking. Right now, it seems like an intentional time sink that resembles painful MMO grinding. The old system in the Alpha was a path in the right direction IMHO.

Old [Alpha] system

Pros
  • More frequent
  • Leveling felt rewarding (war spoils tied to lvling)
  • Less Grind
  • Timed, but can stack
  • Similar to Titanfall's burn card
Cons
  • Timer was real-time

New system

Pros
  • No timer, keep what you earn
Cons
  • Less frequent
  • Lvling doesn't feel rewarding (war spoils are not tied to lvling)
  • Grindy MMO-like timesink
  • Punishes players who paid for the original content as they could now be earned freely (no complaints personally, but I could see this being a problem for others)

The only thing i'd have adjusted to the old system was shorten the timer and make it in-game hours spent rather than real time hours spent (similar to how XP boosts work in battlefield, on a short duration timer based on minutes played in-game). It felt more rewarding for the player to see frequent war spoils and would potentially allow Relic to monetize for future DLC if players were willing to buy to keep these items rather than earn them temporarily through war spoils. Try before you buy. No one really complained about this as the player could continue to earn those items through frequent war spoils.

*Reposted opinions about war spoils from official forums*

Now that the two new factions are out, I'd be curious to know what people's hot button or top issues with the Soviet and Ostheer armies are. We're gathering feedback and I know you guys have opinions :)

IpKaiFung

I like the gameplay of both of the old factions and think that at most they could do with aesthetic upgrades. i.e. the new cook out animations on the old tanks. maybe let the Soviets ride tanks as well but I am quite happy with their gameplay.

Icefire1424

Credit where it's due, soundtrack for the Western Front Armies is pretty impressive. Often listen to the COH1 / COH2 soundtracks whenever I'm doing work, new music is definitely on point.

Also, US Forces are a blast to play. Infantry has some serious AT capabilities.

Now that the two new factions are out, I'd be curious to know what people's hot button or top issues with the Soviet and Ostheer armies are. We're gathering feedback and I know you guys have opinions :)

Hard to say. I was mainly a wermacht player before the expansion, but am now full time US forces. I don't seem to have any particular issue at the moment playing as US forces vs wermacht. I almost prefer to be matched against a wermacht player because they don't have dirty sturmpioneers like OKW does. I will try to keep an eye out for anything that I feel is an issue, but as it stands I feel most of the game is fairly well balanced.

Late game german armor is beastly and can frustrate me often, but there are AT options all around to deal with such. Especially now that I have access to the easy 8, love that tank.

Speaking of AT options, I was playing against wermacht using US airborne doctrine. The person I was matched with was either a new player or wasn't paying attention to his armor. I was able to get in close to one of his panthers with my paratroops and set not just one but TWO demo charges on his panther which combined with one AT shot, took that panther down. Only time I was able to use demo charges and probably the only time I will ever be able to use them with some effectiveness, was hilarious though.

War spoils drop rate is horrible, it's averaging about six hours of play time per drop.

Panzer III please.

Icefire1424

And war spoils drop rate needs to be higher, definitely.

Might be on to something here, I have yet to get a war drop actually. Granted, only got 5 or 6 skirmish games in this past week, but would have expected something by that point.

Think the sweet spot would be to have some unlocks per level to act as that dangling carrot (common bulletins, skins, etc) , but more of the rare drops come as war spoils (uncommon bulletins, commanders, victory strikes).

Further thoughts, love seeing the diversity of the commanders back. Really makes the player adjust their strategy depending on what commander type they are facing.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i know this is probably a done and dusted issue for most people, but every time i go to buy this game i do a little stroll around the park of community opinion, and it seems like things are progressing as an RTS should.

but every single time, i hit the brick wall of DLC commanders. the idea of having to buy (often superior) tactical options in an RTS like this is such an unfathomably scummy idea that no matter how much i want a taste of something which seems to be piecing itself together as a true CoH successor, i can't go through with it.

so i guess what i'm asking is what steps have/will be taken to remedy this - if any?

IpKaiFung

commanders drop in the war spoils system as well as being purchasable.

commanders marked premium items ( which are drops and purchased ones) are banned in tournaments.

Icefire1424

...i hit the brick wall of DLC commanders. the idea of having to buy (often superior) tactical options in an RTS like this is such an unfathomably scummy idea that no matter how much i want a taste of something which seems to be piecing itself together as a true CoH successor, i can't go through with it.

You're not the only one with this sentiment, I assure you. Really don't like the idea of commanders exclusively locked behind a paywall - especially if they are unique, or offer something to the player that gives them an advantage in gameplay. My thought is for a full retail game, all content that would affect gameplay would be available by playing the game, either through an unlock system or war spoils - everyone should have an equal chance at those.

If someone wanted to pay a couple bucks to unlock a commander early - sure, I'm okay with that as an option - with the caveat that said commander is still available through regular play.

My personal thought is paid DLC in a game like COH should be restricted to aesthetics, or other stuff that doesn't affect gameplay, but possibly gives the gamer more options to customize their army. Unique skins, stuff like that.

Western Armies seems to be doing it right so far. All commanders can be obtained through war spoils, so long as the player is willing to devote the time to get them.

In truth, all commanders should have been available to every player from the start. But IMO they never should have gone with the current commander system anyway. The CoH1 version was a lot more fun IMO. It was easier to memorize all your opponenet's commander choices when they had 3 fixed ones, but then two branches in each doctrine still provided uncertainty and tactical flexibility. It's almost like having 6 commanders with you in a match instead of 3 in CoH2.

I don't even think Relic cares about making all commanders viable, it's too difficult to balance presently. There are a lot of ones nobody uses (at least for OH/Sov) and there are a few that are clearly top tier, so to speak. I think that's a problem you're going to run into any time you try to present so many different things to balance.

New blog post detailing the Commander Rotation promotion:

http://blogs.companyofheroes.com/2014/07/15/free-commander-rotation/

The Relic team is excited to announce the launch of a new promotion within Company of Heroes 2! Starting today, we are introducing a Free Commander Rotation: every time you sign in to Company of Heroes 2 during the course of this promotion you will be shown which commanders are free to use. While the event is running, you’ll find these Commanders in your inventory alongside your other items with a small timer icon to indicate they are temporary. They will remain in your inventory until we move on to the next rotation.

Which Commanders will you be featuring?

We’re going to keep you guys on your toes, and maintain an air of mystery here! We WILL confirm that we will be featuring Commanders from all of the currently playable factions for maximum variation. You’ll just have to log in to see who’s featured, and when.

You featured a commander I’ve already purchased, I paid money for this and now others are getting them for free!

The free Commander rotation is only temporary. Meaning at the end of the promotion, players will see these Commanders removed from their inventory unless they were owned prior to the free rotation. We will continue to cycle through different Commanders, in order to maximize how many players experience something new. Thank you for your support!

New blog post detailing the Commander Rotation promotion:

http://blogs.companyofheroes.com/2014/07/15/free-commander-rotation/

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this one. Give me a chance to play with the other US forces commanders that I may or may not ever unlock. I want to be able to use all commanders, all the time and not have to worry about some random drop giving them to me. This promotion is such a tease and not a fair one at that. I understand this if I was say able to buy them, because then I could try before I buy. But to let me try, then never know if I will play with that doctrine again, is ridiculous.

That said, not like I would want to use anything other than rifle company doctrine. Vet rifleman and easy 8's fo life.

On an unrelated note, I get my new PC parts in tomorrow and my new build should be done by the weekend. Can't wait to go from playing everything on the minimum settings possible, to max everything.

Icefire1424

That said, not like I would want to use anything other than rifle company doctrine. Vet rifleman and easy 8's fo life.

On an unrelated note, I get my new PC parts in tomorrow and my new build should be done by the weekend. Can't wait to go from playing everything on the minimum settings possible, to max everything.

Man, I want that rifleman company. I feel your pain.

Also; jealous of the new rig. Been playing on an antiquated piece of machinery that I don't have the time / technical expertise to upgrade myself. I'm sure the game looks so much prettier than what I've been playing it on...

Relevant though, I am enjoying playing the Western Front armies significantly more than vanilla CoH2. To me anyways, it does feel more like CoH went back to its roots with unique commanders, and not just overlapping abilities. Find myself reacting more to what the enemy is deploying, and that the commander I'm choosing has significantly more meaning. Airborne is still a blast to play.

Who's idea what it to not let me spam vet rifles right at the beginning of a match? Bah at cool down time at the start of the match. That said, steam rolling lately with us forces. Would love to actually play a match with some gaffers though and not just randos all day. Let's try to coordinate a GAF match!

longdi

Banned
Whois playing CoH2 still? I got the WFA pack and it is really fun and varied the way CoH2 should have been. The original Osteer (why did Relic renamed them back to Wehr?) and Russian were a little bore and methodical, coupled with the faster pacing, vCoH2 was not as fun.

The US and OKW plays a lot more aggressive and there are more options. It is a blast to play the 4 factions together in mp. I think Relic is one big patch away from finally making core players shift away from CoH1 to CoH2.
It is sad that they launched CoH2 the way it was, granted i didnt expect CoH2 to radically be better than CoH1, but the current players online 4000-8000 is bad.

Whois playing CoH2 still? I got the WFA pack and it is really fun and varied the way CoH2 should have been. The original Osteer (why did Relic renamed them back to Wehr?) and Russian were a little bore and methodical, coupled with the faster pacing, vCoH2 was not as fun.

The US and OKW plays a lot more aggressive and there are more options. It is a blast to play the 4 factions together in mp. I think Relic is one big patch away from finally making core players shift away from CoH1 to CoH2.
It is sad that they launched CoH2 the way it was, granted i didnt expect CoH2 to radically be better than CoH1, but the current players online 4000-8000 is bad.

I am, I get in a few matches (or at least try to!) every night. WFA is a lot of fun, US forces especially. Not a fan of OKW their playstyle is just too different for me to get use to. I really do like playing 4vs4 (always play 4vs4) with all the factions involved, seems much more epic that way. I think if a lot of the core COH1 players gave COH2 w/WFA expansion a chance, they wouldn't look back. The gameplay mechanics are better, the maps are great, and really the only thing I miss, is the British forces.

COH2 is going to be around for a while though, just like its daddy. Looking forward to more expansions in the future and what kind of content they will bring. Hopefully more factions (US Marines and British!), multiplayer maps, commanders and unlocks.

Icefire1424

Still playing when I can, but gaming time is essentially down to naught since I've had a kid (not a complaint, just an observation). I'm convinced all my gaming is basically just taking a 6 month or so hiatus until the point kiddo gets on a "normal" sleep schedule.

However, having played several skirmishes as the Americans, I just can't go back to playing as the Russians, the American style just suits me that much better. That, and the infantry are just badass.

CoH will always have a strong following, and I'm convinced Relic will continue to support their product. It helps that they do have eyes on this thread as well.

...and completely agree that seeing some new factions down the road would be welcome. Loved playing as the Brits in CoH, seeing a new take on them, or someone else entirely would be pretty interesting.

Icefire1424

Funny story, last time I was able to actually sit down and play, I decided it would be fun to recreate the battle of Stalingrad playing as the Soviets, in a 3 vs. 3 skirmish in a 500 VP match. For some reason however, the game "errored" and wouldn't drain VP's when they were held. Just stayed at 500 per team. Oh well, I'll just have to win the old fashined way by killing everything. Easier said than done. My AI teammates were all but useless, and despite a heroic effort to try and hold Stalingrad, the Germans were hammering down on my base after a 3 hour Soviet defense.

At that point I had about given up and left the game running while I took my pups outside to do their thing. Figured the Tiger and Panzer IV's hammering away on my Allies base would be over soon enough.

I was wrong. Returning 10 minutes later, the German Panzers had retreated, allowing the Soviets to rebuild. Only to send the tanks back in another 10 minutes later to destroy anything with a Soviet emblem on it. Again. At that point I really game up, as I think I ended up in a game that simply would not end. Would have loved to see how many Panzers I took out though, had to have been a ton. Less interested to see how many T34's I lost however, which had to have been up there.

teepo

what i'm going to say has been said before, but it's worth repeating. the game has come a long way since release, especially with the addition of the WFAs. i can't imagine going back to vCoH now that i've become acquainted with all the new mechanics. i especially love the changes made to acquiring weapon upgrades for riflemen; equipping either two BARs or bazookas feels soooo good that i'm willing to bear the cost of having to RTB and pay munitions for them.

i'm still undecided on how i feel about teching to tier3/4 being a necessity in the late game, but on the other hand it's nice seeing infantry blobs struggle in the late game as a result which i'm sure is Relic's intent.

what i'm going to say has been said before, but it's worth repeating. the game has come a long way since release, especially with the addition of the WFAs. i can't imagine going back to vCoH now that i've become acquainted with all the new mechanics. i especially love the changes made to acquiring weapon upgrades for riflemen; equipping either two BARs or bazookas feels soooo good that i'm willing to bear the cost of having to RTB and pay munitions for them.

i'm still undecided on how i feel about teching to tier3/4 being a necessity in the late game, but on the other hand it's nice seeing infantry blobs struggle in the late game as a result which i'm sure is Relic's intent.

Having a higher tier is a necessity to me, gives you something to progress to. But I also like how some infantry can still put out some AT damage to even the odds. I often find myself playing as US forces and using bazookas for rifleman/other infantry to great effect. Give a rank 3 pathfinder squad a bazooka and they can hit from a long range with good accuracy.

Bazookas are acceptable against OKW early-mid stuff but even Wehr T3 will deflect like half the time or more. I might have to try T3 builds in 1v1 now that they nerfed the .50 cal MG and everybody in the universe is anticipating a fast AA HT. The 57mm is underwhelming but necessary.

Rifle company seems like it's still clearly the best doctrine for USF. Without it in team games I'd still probably be getting slaughtered - the extra HP and armor on the E8 makes Lategame somewhat tolerable. Really highlights how underwhelming vanilla US lategame is - an entire army of glass cannon tanks that require a huge amount of micro, vs Tigers / Panthers which are long range, powerful *and* durable.

Bazookas are acceptable against OKW early-mid stuff but even Wehr T3 will deflect like half the time or more. I might have to try T3 builds in 1v1 now that they nerfed the .50 cal MG and everybody in the universe is anticipating a fast AA HT. The 57mm is underwhelming but necessary.

Rifle company seems like it's still clearly the best doctrine for USF. Without it in team games I'd still probably be getting slaughtered - the extra HP and armor on the E8 makes Lategame somewhat tolerable. Really highlights how underwhelming vanilla US lategame is - an entire army of glass cannon tanks that require a huge amount of micro, vs Tigers / Panthers which are long range, powerful *and* durable.

Yeah t3 is where US forces don't shine at all. Short of the easy 8, the tanks they have (jackson and sherman) are barely useful against tigers, panthers, elefants, etc.. I really wish they would have brought the pershing back for the US armor commander instead of the joke wolverine. I almost have more success infantry blobbing zooks than I do using actual armor and AT gun support.

At least I have the rifle commander unlocked, that is all I use and I am not sure if I would even want to play US without it. It is a fun faction but another thing that is sorely missing are mortars. The mortar truck isn't worth it and I would like to see the US have more than pack howitzer (480 cost? seriously?), mobile howitzer (again seriously?) and the mortar truck which is commander specific. Give me an ol fashioned mortar crew, axe the mobile howitzer and bring back the pershing.

teepo

i'm still fairly bad but i'd like to take part in a GAF match sometime. we have more than enough players to get a full game going.

EAB81633D60F2BDC4856CD76CBCBACCF9140A1AB

:D

MattyG

Banned
Just got this for $10 the other day, probably going to try it for the first time tonight. I've been meaning to get it for a while, since I love WWII and have always wanted to get into a strategy game.

Anything I should know in terms of tactics/gameplay/etc? Any DLC that I absolutely NEED to own?

What does everyone think of the new patch? Some big changes, I only got a chance to play 1 match last night but my Grenadiers were smoking all other infantry at range, it was awesome.

Icefire1424

What does everyone think of the new patch? Some big changes, I only got a chance to play 1 match last night but my Grenadiers were smoking all other infantry at range, it was awesome.

Wow, just noticed the patch list, pretty crazy. Linking here for anyone that didn't already see it.

http://www.coh2.org/news/23847/99-balance-patch

Looks like pretty much everything got a solid review, with priority being placed on emphasizing each particular unit's strengths and weakness (i.e., Grenadiers excelling at long ranges, while US Riflemen excelling at close to mid range against other rifle units). American tank build times are faster, looks like MG's got some tweaking in there as well.

Otherwise, a few new maps, some modifications to war spoil and a few new spoils added. Overall, seems to be a pretty impressive patch. I look forward to playing a few games this weekend.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Played a match last night, had a lot of fun. Wish I had more time for this game, I really do. It's come into its own lately.

I liked the original a lot, but haven't bought 2 because of all the DLC. I hate nickel and diming like that, so as much as I loved the first game, I've been waiting to see what happens with 2 since the feedback for it wasn't that hot last I checked.

I also have veeery little time to play games these days, given my gamedev endeavors after hours. Can someone perhaps share their average multiplayer match times? Is it quick like SC2 or does it take longer? How's the matchmaking? I recall matchmaking being an issue with CoH 1

Icefire1424

I liked the original a lot, but haven't bought 2 because of all the DLC. I hate nickel and diming like that, so as much as I loved the first game, I've been waiting to see what happens with 2 since the feedback for it wasn't that hot last I checked.

I also have veeery little time to play games these days, given my gamedev endeavors after hours. Can someone perhaps share their average multiplayer match times? Is it quick like SC2 or does it take longer? How's the matchmaking? I recall matchmaking being an issue with CoH 1

Can't speak to the multiplayer match times / matchmaking, but can address the "veeery little time" to play comment, as I have a 5 month old at home and find my time very limited as well. Skirmish with a 500 VP limit is perfect. Games usually take 15-20 minutes, rarely going over 30. Just enough to get a game or two in while kiddo is down for a nap.

The DLC turned me off at first, but I do recommend checking out COH2 now, especially with the Western Armies, as it adds a significant amount of depth and variety to the original game, which I felt was severely lacking. Developer support is there, and Relic is actively addressing many of the (legitimate) concerns addressed by the players, most notably with the war spoils system, which absolutely needed some work. Don't worry about grabbing any of the DLC commanders unless there is something you REALLY want, the core offerings are sufficient to enjoy the game.

Either way, worth the price of admission.

Top Bottom